Another week has come and gone.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Page 5?? Are you serious?
  • Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭
    This will be our week.
  • Options
    did Ms poster child have a sub in this with you folks? maybe his bad karma is draggin u down
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    I just read the thread (that rhymes! I rock!) about the fellow board member beginning his quest for a 1986 Topps BB set graded all 10's. First of all, good luck to this young man. Secondly, I was wondering if anyone in the group sub was going for the 86 Topps Nolan Ryan? Or for that matter any 86 Topps? And, in closing, we should all thank LSU in advanced for putting together the second group sub ( coming soon ). Maybe on it we can get over the 500 mark!
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • Options
    I subbed some 86 Topps cards in this sub and sent off a few more and some 86 OPC's today. None of them were Ryan though. I hate to get everyone starting a runon 86 OPC, but check the pop report for the Ryan in OPC.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>I subbed some 86 Topps cards in this sub and sent off a few more and some 86 OPC's today. None of them were Ryan though. I hate to get everyone starting a runon 86 OPC, but check the pop report for the Ryan in OPC. >>

'86 OPC is fool's gold. I have no doubt that 60% of this board is going to make a run on Steve's wax any day now, but they will be sorely, sorely disappointed by the outcome of that endeavor. There is no such thing as a 'nice run' of '86 OPC. If you picture '86 Topps with worse chipping along the top, and three times more centering problems, you'll be in the ballpark with regard to the quality of cards you can expect from unopened.
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭✭
    another group sub? Is this going to be the earlier time period that we didnt get to do before, like 50s and early 60s cards?
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    yeah I'd stay away from 86 OPC.

Unless I could get it for 10-20 bucks a box.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

<< <i>I just read the thread (that rhymes! I rock!) about the fellow board member beginning his quest for a 1986 Topps BB set graded all 10's. First of all, good luck to this young man. Secondly, I was wondering if anyone in the group sub was going for the 86 Topps Nolan Ryan? Or for that matter any 86 Topps? And, in closing, we should all thank LSU in advanced for putting together the second group sub ( coming soon ). Maybe on it we can get over the 500 mark! >>

Thanks Joey (CrimsonTider), for calling me a young man! image
    I'm the 60 year old ("young man") beginning his quest for a 1986T BB set in PSA 10s!

rd

P.S. Joey, I know first hand just how hard it is trying to build a PSA 10 set:

rbdjr1's 1976 Topps - The Number One Finest Set of All Time (Retired Set)

rbdjr1's 1978 Topps Set Weighted GPA 9.636 (Retired)

rbdjr1's 1961 Nu-Card Football Set - The Number One Finest Set of All Time - My Current Set (2004-2009)
  • Options

<< <i>'86 OPC is fool's gold. I have no doubt that 60% of this board is going to make a run on Steve's wax any day now, but they will be sorely, sorely disappointed by the outcome of that endeavor. There is no such thing as a 'nice run' of '86 OPC. If you picture '86 Topps with worse chipping along the top, and three times more centering problems, you'll be in the ballpark with regard to the quality of cards you can expect from unopened. >>

I got 2 boxes of 86 OPC's from Dacardworld that I just threw in with my order because I had a $25 coupon. So they were basically free. The two boxese I got looked raggedy but the packs were clean. The centering was excellent. The chipping wasn't too bad compared to what I was expecting. As far as the Ryan is concerned, I pulled 4 from the 2 boxes. Centering was great with one that was 50/50 all around front and back. However, the chipping was atrocious on all 4.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>'86 OPC is fool's gold. I have no doubt that 60% of this board is going to make a run on Steve's wax any day now, but they will be sorely, sorely disappointed by the outcome of that endeavor. There is no such thing as a 'nice run' of '86 OPC. If you picture '86 Topps with worse chipping along the top, and three times more centering problems, you'll be in the ballpark with regard to the quality of cards you can expect from unopened. >>

I got 2 boxes of 86 OPC's from Dacardworld that I just threw in with my order because I had a $25 coupon. So they were basically free. The two boxese I got looked raggedy but the packs were clean. The centering was excellent. The chipping wasn't too bad compared to what I was expecting. As far as the Ryan is concerned, I pulled 4 from the 2 boxes. Centering was great with one that was 50/50 all around front and back. However, the chipping was atrocious on all 4. >>

Wow. I can say with 100% confidence that you've already far surpassed any luck I've ever had with this set. I've bought plenty of wax and hand collated sets at the Toronto show over the years and I've yet to find a single submittable card.

One thing to remember about wax is to take a quick look at the box bottom cards. If you can find those in good shape you're smiling (I've actually submitted a few of these, and the sales have been excellent).
  • Options

<< <i>yeah I'd stay away from 86 OPC.

Unless I could get it for 10-20 bucks a box.

Steve >>

Even at that price, once you factor in the time to rip and evaluate cards you're still only making burger-flipping money. Figure 1/2 an hour to rip the box, and another hour or two to scrutinize the cards, another few hours in sleeving, submitting, scanning, etc., and suddenly you're into a box for 4-6 hrs. And that doesn't even factor in what happens if you catch the wrong grader and your sub gets buried with 8's; then you've got 1/2 a day into the thing AND you've sunk 100 bucks into it.
  • Options

<< <i>One thing to remember about wax is to take a quick look at the box bottom cards. If you can find those in good shape you're smiling (I've actually submitted a few of these, and the sales have been excellent). >>

I had already checked the pop report on the box bottoms before I received the boxes. My boxes were mangled on the outside but somehow the cards were in great condition.

For those that are interested in giving it a shot, Dacardworld has them for $11/box with free shipping for all orders over $75.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Just floating this to the top, don't mind me! image
  • Options
    Good Day,

Well I am really starting to get my mind around this having Bill do the group Sub thing again...and again...and again......... I mean I don't know about you guy's, but it is so much less work for me.

What say I nominate Bill as permanent Subber for the Board Members. I figure he could do one of these about every other week or so. 300-600 cards, just a little of His spare time.

Can I get a second For my motion!!!!!!!

All In Favor!!!!!!!! Say I

I really think this is gonna Pass!!! Unanimously!!!!

Thanks Bill....You Da Man!!!!!!

I have about 50-60 Cards ready to go!!!!!image
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    I second that emotion! I already have another 250 heading down to LA! Bill, I'll just wait to give you the money until the cards come back from PSA. You can cover it, right? image
  • Options
    I'm not sure as to who suggested this, but I salute that individual.
  • Options
    TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    I believe and Dave and Adam's that one gets a free gift with an order over $75.00. Free shipping is for orders over $150.00.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    yes, absolutely!! I'm all for making my handful of submissions, that I would normally get back in under 2 weeks, a part of a giant group sub.

Seriously, I love how PSA brought back the $5 special right after we put this behemoth together. That was fantastic!
  • Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    Where is the poppage!!image
  • Options
    We're not even at the halfway point of the 45 days. No worries... image
  • Options
    I need LSU to put together the next group sub soon. I have a feeling that Alabama is close to stealing the top HS recruit in the nation from LSU and if this happens I maybe denied access to the group sub.

I'm ok as long as this gets organized before national signing day which is in early Feb, I should be just fine.
  • Options
    I wouldn't feel right giving Bill the burden of doing a Group Sub again, and there are only about 5 people on this board who I would trust doing another one. Remember, his job isn't done yet, he still gets to receive the cards back from PSA and ship everything back out to the participants. This was a HUGE undertaking. Thanks again Bill!
  • Options

<< <i>Remember, his job isn't done yet, he still gets to receive the cards back from PSA and ship everything back out to the participants >>

I do not have to ship them all back. I clearly stated in original post (check the fine print) that I get to keep any card graded higher than an 8.
  • Options
    Ohhhh yeah, that's right, my bad!
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭
    3rd page bump

and just to add i'm ok with the time frame to get these back, you had to know that going in, right??

and very glad/greatful to bill for taking on this project, i'll be sending him something i hope he can use for his efforts
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    "i'll be sending him something i hope he can use for his efforts"

Bill needs some new nunchucks.
  • Options
    I'm sending him a 3 X 5 index card with Nick Saban's auto for his effort. Enjoy
  • Options
    i'm sure he'll enjoy that auto, perhaps target practice
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wouldn't feel right giving Bill the burden of doing a Group Sub again, and there are only about 5 people on this board who I would trust doing another on >>

Only 5?? There are way more than 5 trustworthy guys here. Don't let the bad apples ruin it for youimage
  • Options

<< <i>Only 5?? There are way more than 5 trustworthy guys here. Don't let the bad apples ruin it for you >>

About 3 weeks ago there were probably about 30 I would trust. Thanks to the recent events around here, I think that number may be down to about 6 or 7.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Only 5?? There are way more than 5 trustworthy guys here. Don't let the bad apples ruin it for you >>

About 3 weeks ago there were probably about 30 I would trust. Thanks to the recent events around here, I think that number may be down to about 6 or 7. >>

30 is too high and 6 or 7 is still too low. I can think of 13 guys without even giving it much thought.

I guess I have an unfair advantage doing the santa exchange every year. Dealing with guys first hand like that via pm, you can realy get a feel for who is trustworthy and who is not.
  • Options

<< <i>About 3 weeks ago there were probably about 30 I would trust. Thanks to the recent events around here, I think that number may be down to about 6 or 7. >>

I must have missed some threads in the last month or so. But has there been a rash of poor dealings, deadbeat traders, etc? Other than the fake death (at last I recall, it was)? Of all the trades, sells, and purchases I have made on this listserve, I have had no problems. Lucky I guess. Or alot of honest people here.
    I collect PSA graded 1980-81 Basketball.

Successful transactions with bouwob, lifeshouldbefun, SDSportsFan, Bkritz, tsalems1, kwtoz, johnny1976, Topps29, Calaban7, nascar20, bking, bedellsonics, Beck6, Dialj, Echocanyon, mdkuom, gosteelers, artimus.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>About 3 weeks ago there were probably about 30 I would trust. Thanks to the recent events around here, I think that number may be down to about 6 or 7. >>

I must have missed some threads in the last month or so. But has there been a rash of poor dealings, deadbeat traders, etc? Other than the fake death (at last I recall, it was)? Of all the trades, sells, and purchases I have made on this listserve, I have had no problems. Lucky I guess. Or alot of honest people here. >>

i may have missed something also, please let me know if there is someone i should stay away from.
    thanks
    fred
    Fred

• Options
  • Options
    I just dropped off another 41 card sub at the post office, under the January Special. SWEET!! image
  • Options
    I sent 69 cards Monday. Not 70, but 69.
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Fred, I can send you a list image >>

Anyone who hasn't had the common courtesy to choose a title should be near the top of it, imo. image
  • Options
    "About 3 weeks ago there were probably about 30 I would trust. Thanks to the recent events around here, I think that number may be down to about 6 or 7"

no way, in this thread alone:
    nam, LSU, LMM, RonB, Swartz, Vito, Yankeeno7, gumby, Thedutyman, LarryAllen, Digicat, plus folks like Lee and Rube.

90% of the folks or more are good peeps. without a doubt.
  • Options

<< <i>"About 3 weeks ago there were probably about 30 I would trust. Thanks to the recent events around here, I think that number may be down to about 6 or 7"

no way, in this thread alone:
    nam, LSU, LMM, RonB, Swartz, Vito, Yankeeno7, gumby, Thedutyman, LarryAllen, Digicat, plus folks like Lee and Rube.

90% of the folks or more are good peeps. without a doubt. >>

Yes sir, exactly right.

The bad apples ruin forum chemistry in more ways than one. They get into guy's heads as evidenced above.
  • Options
    I guess I should recount my 5. I do trust more than 5 people on here, and there ARE more good people than bad. I think I was in a mood when I wrote that.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Remember, his job isn't done yet, he still gets to receive the cards back from PSA and ship everything back out to the participants >>

I do not have to ship them all back. I clearly stated in original post (check the fine print) that I get to keep any card graded higher than an 8. >>

I am calling BS....Clearly Bill Edited his original post and added the Fine Print!!!!!

Neilimage
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>I am calling BS....Clearly Bill Edited his original post and added the Fine Print!!!!! >>

Don't worry Neil, that was only intended for sports cards.

Edit to add: Obviously no poppage or poopage yet. With the recent threads regarding bad grades, not sure I even care any more to see the results.
  • Options
    mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    While I hate waiting I am with Bill on maybe it is better than alot of the grades people have been posting. I am really worried about that large sub, and I had sent in 56 and 57's. Oh well maybe we are due.

Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options