Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do you think is the UGLIEST U.S. Coin ever made?? Commemoratives excluded!

Without a doubt... Susan B. Anthony
"If you hit a midget on the head with a stick, he turns into 40 gold coins." - Patty Oswalt

Comments

• Options
    I agree
  • Options
    Any Presidential $1 Coin
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    agreed as well.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you forget Eunice???

• Options
    Eunice makes Susan B look like a goddess, but commems are excluded.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Eunice makes Susan B look like a goddess, but commems are excluded. >>

Guess I went over the top....sorry Eunice.
  • Options
    Eunice made me throwup in my mouthimage
    "If you hit a midget on the head with a stick, he turns into 40 gold coins." - Patty Oswalt
  • Options
    eCoinquesteCoinquest Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭
    Id say all the presidential dollars
  • Options
    Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    The Alabama State Quarter, just totally inappropriate and a disgrace. Montgomery could have done much better
  • Options
    razzlerazzle Posts: 981 ✭✭
    SBA is ugly, yes, but it is also the easiest set to complete, and the only one I've managed so far. SBA is also the least expensive set to complete, so in response to a thread elsewhere on this page, my wife has had the most influence on my coin choices...

Chuck
    Markets (governments) can remain irrational longer than an investor can remain solvent.
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    president dollars are terrible.
    ---
    If it ain't about the money lord knows i've gone insane
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Although SBA herself is nothing to look at, the coin in proof looks very, very nice. I like the reverse also. Probably the flowing hair coinage was the ugliest ever made--which is one of the reasons it is so cool today but it lasted such a short time because of a huge vote of dissatisfaction from the general public. --Jerry

• Options
    JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭
    What about some of the 1st Hags.

Abigail Adams Woof Woof

• Options
    Id say the Ike dollar. Ike looks like Donald Duck without the feathers,
    imageimage
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Did you forget Eunice???

image >>

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options

image >>

Wait! Thats a woman?
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saint Gaudens $20 gold piece

• Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

image >>

Wait! Thats a woman? >>

The Kennedys just don't age gracefully

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Roosevelt Dime...
  • Options
    Sometimes ugly can be interesting, hence why people paid to get a look at John Merrick.

Now the Roosevelt Dime, while not ugly is dull. Perhaps the dullest circulating coin produced by the US.
  • Options
    Susan B. was so obvious, we really should be looking for the second ugliest...
    Salute the automobile: The greatest anti-pollution device in human history!
    (Just think of city streets clogged with a hundred thousand horses each generating 15 lbs of manure every day...)
  • Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    I disagree on the roosie, just take a look at my avatar. How can that be ugly? image
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    The presidential dollars and many of the state quarters are quite, shall we say, are not the most beautiful of US coins.

I actually don't think the SBA is so bad, actually.
  • Options
    razzlerazzle Posts: 981 ✭✭
    Yeah, but the other side is a whole New Deal!

Chuck
    Markets (governments) can remain irrational longer than an investor can remain solvent.
  • Options

<< <i>Yeah, but the other side is a whole New Deal!

Chuck >>

Oi!
  • Options

<< <i>The presidential dollars and many of the state quarters are quite, shall we say, are not the most beautiful of US coins.

I actually don't think the SBA is so bad, actually. >>

The state quarters are technically commems.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The presidential dollars and many of the state quarters are quite, shall we say, are not the most beautiful of US coins.

I actually don't think the SBA is so bad, actually. >>

The state quarters are technically commems. >>

All of our circulating coins are technically commemoratives. The last non-commemorative design in circulation was the 1947 half.

• Options
    Yea, I guess your right. I never really thought about it but it's true.
  • Options
    I wish it wasn't so. I have had enough of circulating commemoratives.
  • Options
    I'd like to see them go back to Liberty coins again.
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Without a doubt... Susan B. Anthony >>

I agree ten times over!image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

Wait! Thats a woman? >>

The Kennedys just don't age gracefully
    image >>

I can't help but imagine that whoever the poor sucker was that was tasked with designing this coin took one look at this picture and, sigh, thought "what the hell am I suppose to do with this?"

Considering the raw material he had to work from the coin looks AWESOME!!!
  • Options
    I'm surprised at all the hate towards the SBA... I like the reverse...it's not a bad coin.... Anything modern and yellow I can't stand...Sacs, presidentials....Almost anything the mint sells to collectors now.,
  • Options
    And, SBA had nothing to do with the reverse, which is not the best reverse I've ever seen. I like the front of the TX comm. but it's reverse is a mess, what were they thinking? Time for a new TX commem.

Butt Ugly
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Susan B Anthony is hot !
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SBA is ugly, yes, but it is also the easiest set to complete

I thought Flying Eagle Cents were the easiest set to complete! image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TwoSides2aCoin has it right.

For pure frumpiness, the Matron Head large cent is probably one of the ugliest business-issue US coins. What possessed them to go from the graceful and lovely Draped Bust designs to the homely Classic Heads and downright dumpy Matron Heads is beyond me. Fashions change, though, and what might have seemed progressive at the time seems like a backwards step to us now.

Don't get me wrong. I love early large cents, even the Classic Heads and Matron Heads I just maligned.

But you have to put things in proper perspective- the age and history and numismatic appeal of such coins buys them respect we wouldn't otherwise give them. (Don't get me started on some of the colonial issues- crude, primitive, and downright hideous, some of them- but oh-so beautiful to a collector!)

Picture the Matron Head design vis-a-vis the SBA design and switch 'em around- let's hypothetically say the SBA design was produced in the early 1800s and the Matron Head was a modern issue. You know everybody would say the Matron Head was the ugliest thing ever made and the SBA would get more respect. They really aren't that ugly. Unexciting, perhaps, but ugly? Not really.

To truly judge the designs, you have to detach your mind from the numismatic value or historical appeal of the coins, because there are plenty of coins with rather hideous designs that are beloved today by collectors.

Take the Chain cent, for example. Who amongst us would not love to own a Chain cent, or do, and cherish the ones do own?

But look outside the numismatic appeal for a moment. There was contemporary criticism of the Chain cent which alluded to the "frightened looking" Liberty on one side and how the chain on the other side was a poor choice since it was emblematic of slavery. Chain cents get lots of respect as collectibles, but they are rather ugly and could have been better conceived. Nevertheless, we had to start somewhere with our coinage, and the ugliness of the Chain cents just adds character.

My favorite design on a US coin is the Panama-Pacific octagonal $50 design. And I say that purely from a design standpoint, not because the coin happens to be a rare gold commemorative worth five figures. If it were a modern coin struck in copper, nickel, or silver, with the same design, I would love it just as much, even if one were worth five bucks instead of $35K.

Mark my words, the collectors of the future will not sneer at the Susan B. Anthony. Any more than we sneer at the Matron Head large cent.

It's all good.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I would say the Eisenhower dollar is pretty boring to look at. I would have to rank it below SBA and the Presidentials. All are good candidates though.
  • Options
    I like the SBA....find another one to put down...everyone always says SBA..... please..... Edited to add..I really think that Morgan design is more like Bea Arthur than Lady Liberty imageimage
  • Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    She had nice skin and with a little makeup makeover imageimage
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Roosevelt Dime... >>

• Options
    Hop in your trusty time machine and travel back to Connecticut in the late 18th century. Bring a bag of Susan B. Anthony dollars with you.

See how many of these "muttonhead" coppers you can get from the locals, in exchange for a Susan B. Anthony dollar each.

They'll probably be more than happy to take your lovely 20th century anachronisms off your hands. When they ask why your coins are dated 1979, just tell 'em they were made in 1779 and that it was a mint error and the engraver was illiterate. They'll understand that all too well.

We've come a long way, baby.

imageimage

That would be a pretty profitable trade for you, but the 21st century market in Connecticut coppers would probably take a dive once you unloaded your purchases on today's market.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Exactly.

I saw a seller on eBay offering a well-worn British large penny and he described Britannia as "a lady in a wheelchair". image

• Options
    MercfanMercfan Posts: 700 ✭✭
    I'd pick the Ike over the SBA. Though they're both very unattractive, Ikes are larger in size and, consequently, offer a greater amount of unattractiveness per coin.

"Coin collecting problem"? What "coin collecting problem"?
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking about the Barber series as being the ugliest until I saw that matron head large cent. The matron head wins by a nose!

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    Even our Ike dollars are smalltime wannabes in an ugly coin competition.

From a design standpoint, many American coins were dull as dirt from the end of WW2 until the millennium, but we're still amateurs in the ugly coin department.

(No, those lines are not die breaks. They are a part of the design.)

Just ask MadMarty. (Or no, don't ask him- he likes these).

Actually, the Cook Islands produces some lovely coin designs. That just ain't one of them.

It's interesting, though.

See? We could have it a lot worse. image

• Options

<< <i>Exactly.

I saw a seller on eBay offering a well-worn British large penny and he described Britannia as "a lady in a wheelchair". image >>

Call 'um like you see 'um, eh?

The guy with his face caught in the blender blades, is ahhhh, creepy, is the first thing that comes to mind. I just hope it doesn't start to spin and fling blood everywhere

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file