Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does anyone know where the live rebate money is coming from?

lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
I mean is that going to amount to a
one time charge for Microsoft or Ebay
in order to allow EBays revenues to be
artifically inflated?

Just a thought for our financial gurus to ponder
or explain to the less knowledgable, like me.
LCoopie = Les

Comments

• Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    Your pocket, it sure ain't from Santa. image
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    Mostly from the site you buy from, I'd say, with some from Microsoft. eBay get back some of their investment from seller's fees, PayPal fees (PayPal is required, of course), and both benefit from the 60-day float, no doubt. Most sites offer far less than eBay's 25/30% because they don't recoup as much money. Just MHO.
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    two cash cows milking joe public
  • Options
    MetalsmanMetalsman Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭
    The decline in the price of my MS stock!image
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it was in the fine print of the "bailout" billions, wasn't it?
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am always suspicious of getting something for free. If I did not know better, I would think that the government was somehow behind it. Why would Microsoft and/or ebay want to give me $2400???
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Read the MS earnings report from a quarter or two ago.
    There is a HUGE amount set aside for the search/live campaign, I believe. This is most likely some of that.
    I am not 100% certain, but I seem to recall something like that being out in the news around that time.

Seems a lot of people are all twisted over this (from the different threads over the last few months) and I really don't understand why......
    If I buy a hard drive, or TV, with a rebate (instant or send in), I really don't ask "where is this coming from" as long as I get my money.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    I've wondered the same thing........who is paying for this nonsense??

Now having a loss leader is one thing but giving actual $$$ to the tune of hundreds of dollars seems very strange.

I can only conclude the following.............Both Ebay and Microsoft are desperate.

Ebay for listings and sales/microsoft to increase searches.

Old saying....'Desperate people do desperate things'
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220

<< <i>two cash cows milking joe public >>

How bout Joe Public milking two cash cows?image

Bottom line MSN/EBAY fronts you the cash back and eventualy you will spend the money on another coin/item and it's a win/win for both companies and even the buyer/sellers. Yee Haw I think I got one right.

image (YAHA) Like Mr Magoo always said. Oh MAgoo you done it again.
  • Options
    anyhow, I gave in and finally ordered something
    and it seems to have worked

I'm doing it again.
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    critocrito Posts: 1,735
    The way I see it they have 59 days to find a way to screw me out of it. And if they do I know it'll be all legal-like and somehow my fault for not reading some fine print somewhere. So I'm not going into the hole for more than I'm willing to lose, and I'm certainly not going to pay more than I would have normally for anything.
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    Maybe that is where the billions of bail out dollars have gone- that and bonus for the exec's
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Just wait for your 1099s at the end of the year. image

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Microsoft came up with a scheme to funnel all the fractional cents from all the internet transactions worldwide into a seed account to fund internet commerce. --Jerry
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>two cash cows milking joe public >>

How bout Joe Public milking two cash cows?image

Bottom line MSN/EBAY fronts you the cash back and eventualy you will spend the money on another coin/item and it's a win/win for both companies and even the buyer/sellers. Yee Haw I think I got one right.

image (YAHA) Like Mr Magoo always said. Oh MAgoo you done it again. >>

Yo, Dislexic... I'm hey !
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bailout?
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Money they were going to use to buy yahoo then came up with this great idea to gain search engine market share.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just wait for your 1099s at the end of the year. image >>

"Say whaaat?" image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    Who cares but i like it. Some i have had to wait 60 days for, some i got instant. But i really only bought what i was going to buy anyway so thanks Santa!!!
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The way I see it they have 59 days to find a way to screw me out of it. And if they do I know it'll be all legal-like and somehow my fault for not reading some fine print somewhere. So I'm not going into the hole for more than I'm willing to lose, and I'm certainly not going to pay more than I would have normally for anything. >>

I don't get why people have that negative attitude. I doubt either one will try to screw you out of it. If there is a violation of the "fine print" then there isn't much to do about it after the fact. For those that did it "by the book", it all seems to be working.
    I did 2 of them and got mine back with no issues (this was a few months ago). Haven't seen anything I wanted at the prices lately, so I haven't used it.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I too wonder were the money is coming from......well if Microsoft or Ebay goes under, I'm sure the government will bail them out so no biggy right? imageimage
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone know where the live rebate money is coming from? >>

If my rebate (or the lack thereof) is any indicator, I'd say the money is coming by slow courier from somewhere like Planet Znutar in a far distant galaxy.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Well, D'uh - WHO is going to BAILOUT our busted - A$$ U.S. Government?!

WHO IS GOING TO BAILOUT THE ONE NEEDING BAILING OUT MOST? image

National DEBT! When "whomever" (Gee, I wonder Whom THAT might be)
    wants THEIR MONEY and the United States cannot PAY - WHAT YA SUPPOSE
    IS GOING TO HAPPEN THEN!??

Chew on THAT for a while!image

**Written NOT TO START A GOVERNMENT OR POLITICAL DEBATE - so
    PLEASE DON'T GO THERE! Just THINK about it, OK! ** image
  • Options
    500Bay500Bay Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭
    The money comes from Microsoft. It states that in the terms. the hope is that ad revenue will increase - and drive business away from google.
    Finem Respice
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Seems a lot of people are all twisted over this (from the different threads over the last few months) and I really don't understand why......
    If I buy a hard drive, or TV, with a rebate (instant or send in), I really don't ask "where is this coming from" as long as I get my money. >>

With mail in rebates, most who offer it in that form know that a lot of the folks who buy the product won't get around to sending it in. I suppose this is different. What criteria do eBay/Microsoft use for deciding which listing to offer it on?
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a $50 rebate on a laptop I bought three years ago, and never sent it in. image

By the time I remembered, I had long lost the paperwork. I was happy enough with the price of the laptop anyway, but that's pretty stupid/lazy to just throw away fifty bucks like that, I know.

It just goes to show you, though- that's true. Lots of folks just don't feel like jumping through the hoops to claim a rebate.

I'd rather have my discount up front. Most folks would agree.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>...
    I'd rather have my discount up front. Most folks would agree. >>

My last 2 rebates were immediately deposited into my paypal acct.
    Go for it my forum friends, it doesn't bite.
    It just has to be a buy it now.
    LCoopie = Les

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file