Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you refuse to pay an "inflated" price for items even tho you can use MSN live 25-30% di

you're netting better than what you might expect for an item...
just curious if you try to keep the integrity of the basic item price on principle....

discuss image

Comments

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Some seller seem to be putting their BIN at 30% high, so what't the point of it. The one coin I picked up was priced fairly. I'm one of those who feel if the deal was intended for the consumer, than it should benifit the consumer. It was like when GM had their very first rebate program back in 1975. The local dealers here wanted to keep the $500 by not dealing on the cars. The point was for GM to sell more cars; not make more profit for the auto dealers.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes!
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems like many of the frequent coin sellers have caught on. They are trying to keep the 30% (or much of it) for themselves. Other non-coin areas have also caught on (Check Wii Fit, as an example). Other areas have not been as quick to take advantage.
  • Options
    It's not a question of "refusing" for me. I bought some First Spouse slugs (pure gold, at or below bullion value), by zeroing in on the lowest price. Cheapest ones cost me $359, shipping included. That's $718/oz. Now that gold is at $816, even my wife thinks that was a good idea. image
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • Options
    Refuse is too strong a word; resist would be a bit better for me. All else being equal, I'll buy something at a fair price without a "discount" before paying an inflated price adjusted for a discount.

-Ken
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    so far I have resisted and not bought anything on ebay. I really like buying on the bst.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    there is a guy selling 2007 Platinum Eagle 1/2 ozs proof and reverse proof (His choice too as to what he sends) with the rebate offered. $729 for a likely regular proof and you can buy a set for $1250 from the mint.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I don't see the right price as so keenly defined as you imply. Some prices are kindo high. Some are screaming deals. But it is a continuum and each buyer decides if that is ok with him at that point in time or not.

Using the 30% off I can get to an acceptable price for me. I don't worry about what is being charged.

To me an attituce of "$70 is a good price for that item but I'm not going to let that sell have$100 out of principle" is juvenile. --Jerry
  • Options

<< <i>I don't see the right price as so keenly defined as you imply. Some prices are kindo high. Some are screaming deals. But it is a continuum and each buyer decides if that is ok with him at that point in time or not.

Using the 30% off I can get to an acceptable price for me. I don't worry about what is being charged.

To me an attituce of "$70 is a good price for that item but I'm not going to let that sell have$100 out of principle" is juvenile. --Jerry >>

The problem is that in many cases, the sellers are marking the items up to $120-125, so the buyer is not benefiting from cashback, the seller is.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This sucks but I have to agree with almost everything jerry just said.

If the price is good, then it shouldn't matter what the seller gets. I'm just used to some folks being juvenile on here though. Maybe that's because I've been coaching a 1st grade boy's basketball team and am used to a bunch of children and how they act.....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    OLCOLC Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    Also, buyers need to charge a little more to cover the high seller fees using buy-it -now. This cash program has hurt a lot of regular auctions as I can see. It is hard to run a regular auction when a lot of people seem to be looking for BIN to get there cash. It is only normal that there is going to be some price inflation with BIN. Don't get me wrong. I have used the cashback but in some ways I will be glad when it is over.
  • Options
    I actually think this is a good opportunity for some internet-based coin sellers who typically do not use ebay to move out merchandise in the $500-1200 range. In lieu of a discount for direct sale, the seller can list the coin on ebay as a BIN at their list price. The buyer will get the coin at a substantial discount to what he otherwise might have to pay and the seller gets all the money he would have received if he had sold it directly from his website with a typical discount. Plus, he makes contact with a buyer who is very happy to get the good deal and has the possibility that this transaction leads to additional purchases down the road.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Okay, I can buy a $100 coin for about $145 to get a $45 discount. But if you bid on the same date, mm, and grade (virtuly the same coin). You can usually bid and get it less than the $100 that shows up in the coin values. You won't change my mind. Bullion is a different issue. If you can find the middle ground and buy less than melt -- good for you.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    Does anyone know if you've maxed out your cashback-- if it will reset Jan 1? Or is it 1 full year from when you started?
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't see the right price as so keenly defined as you imply. Some prices are kindo high. Some are screaming deals. But it is a continuum and each buyer decides if that is ok with him at that point in time or not.

To me an attituce of "$70 is a good price for that item but I'm not going to let that sell have$100 out of principle" is juvenile. --Jerry >>

The problem is that in many cases, the sellers are marking the items up to $120-125, so the buyer is not benefiting from cashback, the seller is. >>

RYK,
    I sell a lot of things in this price range and I've found that buyers tend to like to make offers so I mark things up about 10% to make room for offers. I guess I need to go reprice things for now and take the best offer function off.

I also think a lot of sellers are hurting with the new fees and economic outlook and rather than let them leave ebay they are hoping this 25-30% benefits them as well as the buyers. thanks, Jerry
  • Options
    yes
    steve

myCCset
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone know if you've maxed out your cashback-- if it will reset Jan 1? Or is it 1 full year from when you started? >>

Don't know, but I doubt that CB will be around much longer with 25%+ rebates on eBay, therefor it's a moot issue.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Does anyone know if you've maxed out your cashback-- if it will reset Jan 1? Or is it 1 full year from when you started? >>

Don't know, but I doubt that CB will be around much longer with 25%+ rebates on eBay, therefor it's a moot issue. >>

Why do you think that? Do you have some basis for this theory or.....are you just guessing?
  • Options

<< <i>you're netting better than what you might expect for an item... >>

You're getting a better price than you might otherwise expect, but you refuse to make the purchase because the seller is getting a better price too? I guess it depends on your priorities, but unless you can find the same item offered elsewhere at a lower price, that sounds a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face. Personally, I'd just be looking at my cost- I'm not going to spend any time worrying about how much the seller might be making on the deal.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I care about my end result. Coin I like at a price I want then I am happy. The bullion seems highly inflated so have passed on that and bought other stuff.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    In the end, it does not matter what people thinks. If the deal is good, someone will take it.
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course I love when I get most of the benefit of the cash back in the deal. Like my $500 Federal Reserve Note for $480 after cashback image

However, I've also bought a $10 Indian recently where I thought the fair price was $650, but the seller had it listed at $825!! Was a relatively tough coin to find and it looked nice so I was willing to "give" most of the cashback to the seller on that one...

So, I don't really mind the sellers trying to take the benefit for themselves. Can't blame them for trying... Also, this promo probably brings a lot of coins to the market that otherwise wouldn't be available. For example, the $10 Indian mentioned above, the seller would not have listed the coin for $625 (which is what I paid after cashback). I know that I've sold some First Spouse Gold that I would have never considered listing w/o the cashback promo as eBay fees/paypal fees would have eaten away my proceeds so much that it would have been better for me to just melt them... I"m sure there are many other examples of "new" coins coming to market because of MSN cashback.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file