Home Precious Metals
Options

2009 ASE Price and Availability share a Green Monster?

As in years past there has been pre-orders for bullion ASE's due out in January. It seems to me that if past years offering are a pattern the 2009 Silver eagle should be available at lower than years past. I looked at the months of November and December for 2006 and 2007 and found that silver spot was in a range of approx 12.50 to 14.00 in 2006 and 13.75 and 15.75 in 2007. So if spot stays about the same or near where it is now thru December 2008 what will 2009 silver eagles be available at? If distributors/dealers dont stick it to us we should be able to get them at lower prices than the past 2 years. If they want to mmark the up to high they will be sitting on too much inventory. Any opinions here or information about pre-ordering? Just trying to guage what most of you will do.

Comments

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck in finding any ASE's with a spread of less than $3 ... Just to damn much demand + the Mint increased their price to the Dealers slightly.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I think they will sell for 18+. The 08s are still selling for 18 easily in my area, I see no reason why the 09s would be cheaper
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    MetalsmanMetalsman Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭
    I highly doubt they will be near $18.00 within a few weeks of even.. maybe in presale but that price wont hold with the availability.... Dealers dont like to sit on these so in order to move them in roll or more quantity they will have to be priced right.. That as well as some will take the lead and price lower than the previous dealer and so on lowering the price... I still think they will have a spread of about $3.00 [give or take] very near if not before their release. OPA do you know what the price [spread] to dealers from the mint is?
  • Options
    Apmex has the 2008's for $14.56 in quantities of 500 right now, I would agree that bulk purchases won't be as high as 18 unless spot price gets there in the next month.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options

<< <i>Apmex has the 2008's for $14.56 in quantities of 500 right now, I would agree that bulk purchases won't be as high as 18 unless spot price gets there in the next month. >>

I agree and spot wont do that.. my opinion is once dealers can geth the 2009 form the mint there will be plenty of competition and prices/spreads will come down with supply going up at least on ASE's.. to pre-buy now at $14.00 plus is not such a good play.. just my opinion.. we'll see once pre-orders start.. but again lots of dealers will be glad to make a few $$ as they have the chance.
  • Options
    DeloreanDelorean Posts: 470 ✭✭✭
    I just bought a quanity of08's for 12.75 each..Now I did use the 25% cashback program..I think I'll buy another 40ounces
    Chuck,

Ever Onward
  • Options

<< <i>I just bought a quanity of08's for 12.75 each..Now I did use the 25% cashback program..I think I'll buy another 40ounces >>

I have been doing a LOT of this myself, silver and gold.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    OPA do you know what the price [spread] to dealers from the mint is?

Not OPA, but the price from the Mint to their chosen few is now spot + $1.40, up from spot + $1.25.

Regards, John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I just bought a quanity of08's for 12.75 each..Now I did use the 25% cashback program..I think I'll buy another 40ounces >>

I have been doing a LOT of this myself, silver and gold. >>

Ya know, I've tried looking into this thing.

Live.com etc.

Can't find anything in the way of details, though it does seem that if you get anything back it is months away, but I'm not even sure that is true.

Also, it doesn't seem that there is any guarantee of actually getting cash back.

I see nowhere to sign up, nothing solid anywhere.

If there are any details written out somewhere, I'd like to know.

I guess I am just too stupid to figure this thing out. Google sure doesn't help any.

How did anybody ever find out about this in the first place?
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    I thought the Mint didn't have any silver blanks to mint Eagles and that they were backed up 5-6 months on silver production due to that?

As long as the premiums on silver remain in place, and I expect they will, then I'd bet the '09s will carry a stiff premium.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
  • Options
    JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    Don't expect to see ANY 2009 dated ASE early in the year, at ANY price. That's my opinion.

John

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    40 oz lots of unopened 2008 ASE's for $658 on ebay this am

with cashback, = $12.34 an ounce.
  • Options
    Don't expect to see ANY 2009 dated ASE early in the year, at ANY price. That's my opinion

That is an amazing John, isn't?!

Did you see this about one of the new suppliers of planchets to the US Mint :

"Perth Mint sales and marketing director Ron Currie said the unprecedented demand had forced the Mint to cease orders until January, with staff working seven days a week, 24-hour days, over three shifts to meet orders. He said Europe was leading the demand, with Russia, Ukraine, Middle East and US all buying -- making up 80 per cent of its sales. One European client purchased 30,000 ounces for $33 million. "We have never seen this before and are working right at capacity. And we are seeing it from clients in the shop buying one ounce, right up to 30,000 ounces from overseas clients," Mr Currie said. "

Perth Mint
  • Options
    Who typically has the lowest price on sealed green monster boxes? Any help would be appreciated.
  • Options

<< <i>40 oz lots of unopened 2008 ASE's for $658 on ebay this am

with cashback, = $12.34 an ounce. >>

Again, is there anyone who can explain this cashback thing?

No one seemd to be able to after my first request.
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    "I'd bet the '09s will carry a stiff premium."

Not if they are '08 restrikes, unless they put the physical premium on them...get in early for these.
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Who typically has the lowest price on sealed green monster boxes? Any help would be appreciated. >>

Here is a list of US Mint dealers???

LINK

Enter your state to get the list.

Joe
  • Options
    Normally by now I can place orders for boxes of the next year ASE..... this year there is no word at all and all planchets are said to being allocated to the 2008 coins. This could only lead one to assume that 09 dated coins will be delayed anywhere from a little to a lot....

John

John Maben
    800-381-2646

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>40 oz lots of unopened 2008 ASE's for $658 on ebay this am

with cashback, = $12.34 an ounce. >>

Again, is there anyone who can explain this cashback thing?

No one seemd to be able to after my first request. >>

Click on this previous forum discussion link on Cash back

Link

It should give you an idea of what you need to do.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Just as an update to my last post, I am now told the 2009 bullion ASE's will be available in early January but in VERY limited quantity, again because of planchets
    first being used for the 2008 coins....
    John

John Maben
    800-381-2646

• Options
    so where is all the silver the US Mint should be able to get its hands on?
  • Options
    TTT. How many of you are willing to pay spot plus $6.00 and up on 2009 Silver Eagles @ $320. per roll? This is what avg pre-sale offers are at currently. Once the 2009 are released the price will be sub 2008 which are currently about $270. per roll. Too many dealers wanting to make whatever margin they can to substain $6.00 premiums. Currently Tulving and Kitco have available Silver Eagles at $3.99 over or $271. per roll. If [and it probably will] silver spot stays near/around where it is costs to dealers on rolls will be near the lowest we've seen in year. This year with lowwer and languishing silver prices it is different than years past. I dont think this is a case of "the early bird gets a better price".. the offered presale prices arent that attractive to begin with. once supplies and pricing is detiremined they will come down due to competition.. Just my opinion... whats yours?
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just can't pay that kind of premium over the spot price for silver bullion. $15-$16 for the 2009s is way way too much for me. Would much much rather spend that money buying gold which doesn't command the 50%-75% premium, buying silver off ebay using cashback to get close to the spot price or by just buying real coins image

Been sort of debating whether to sell off all of my silver now and take advantage of this crazy spread in real prices vs. spot and just buy paper silver as a hedge until the spreads come down.
  • Options
    Ouch.
    Brand New 2009 American 1 Oz Silver Eagle Mint Sealed Boxes Of 500.

Spot + $4.99

500 Oz Minimum

Shipping Week Of Jan 12th (If The Mint Releases At The Normal Time)

We Will Have Over 100,000 Oz Available.

Free UPS 3-Day Select Shipping

All Orders Are Shipped On A First Paid / First Shipped Basis
    http://tulving.com/goldbull.html#silver
  • Options

<< <i>Ouch.
    Brand New 2009 American 1 Oz Silver Eagle Mint Sealed Boxes Of 500.

Spot + $4.99

500 Oz Minimum

Shipping Week Of Jan 12th (If The Mint Releases At The Normal Time)

We Will Have Over 100,000 Oz Available.

Free UPS 3-Day Select Shipping

All Orders Are Shipped On A First Paid / First Shipped Basis
    http://tulving.com/goldbull.html#silver >>

Again. This is a "suckers bet" on Pre-orders. Thre only way this will hold is if silver spot gets a good bump and holds in the next 3 weeks. At this time you can Pre-buy [lock in] at a fixed price for $310. a roll from many sellers. Others [on the BST] want you to commit and dont even have a set price over spot???... If silver stays where it is or goes down these rolls will be less the $300. once they are released... Bet on it!
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    I'm in no big hurry to get the '09s. Hopefully Cashback will get back to 30%, then will be the time to buy . . . maybe near spot.

Stack'em High!

John

Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Yep. A higher % on cashback at just the right time would we wonderful.image