Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

First Spouse: "Buck" Liberty to complete subset, now w/ pics.

renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
Will you be getting the last "Liberty" spouse?

The first "Liberty" was a 20,000 sellout in hours. Since this series has fallen out of favor, the second "Liberty" has only sold a few thousand in each finish for a multitude of reasons.
Now the third "Liberty" will be upon us on 11-25. Mintages should be low with this coin due to obvious financial conditions around the world, lack of interest, and "Mint Clearance Sale."
This could be a sleeper mini set...very attractive and low available mintage to form this 3-coin set.

Ren

edited to add: OK, my bad. So will you be getting the NEXT to last "Liberty" spouse?image
Stupid brain.

Comments

• Options
    You would have to sleep for a long long time before these become winners IMO.
  • Options
    Hmm, you may be right, since bad taste and foolishness will never go out of style. I'm in; bring on the rubes who want to pay big time later!!! Wohoo!! image
    Coinborg: Your distinctive coins will be added to my collection.
    BS&T image : kryptonitecomics, PCcoins (2x), Spoon (7x), Coppercolor, Preussen (2x), Filamcoins, agentjim007, CB2597, DCW, 1960NYGiants
    Ebay: + <waitin'> NEG: Chameleoncoins
    NonBST/Ebay: image Rick's Coins
    WTB: Toners, BU Darkside, Sovs & 20 Mark, LMU/SMU Gold.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buchanan's Liberty will make this a four coin set.

It's a long term goal of mine to gather them all together. I'll keep my eye out for buying oppurtunities.

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    I will get one eventually. I am making a 4 coin set of the liberty ones, next one will be James Buchanan's Liberty in 2010.
  • Options
    I've bought the first two using the live.com cashback for around melt in PCGS plastic. I imagine I will do the same on the last two, assuming cashback is still around. image
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    First Spouse Release Schedule

I'm glad you brought up Buchanan. I was thinking about this today. He served as President from 1857-1861.
    I wonder which classic coin design the Mint will put on his Liberty coin. I kind of hope it's the Indian Head Cent obverse myself.
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    I would like to see the Indian Princess on the three-$.

Ren
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I just sold my Jefferson Liberty First Strike PR70 for $550. image
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just sold my Jefferson Liberty First Strike PR70 for $550. image >>

Wow ... I had no idea that they dropped that low ... I sold mine last year for $850+ (PCGS PR70 FS) image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    So we have 3 nice designs so far, and hopefully a nice Liberty coin in 2010. It should be a 5 coin series, but they have the "Alice Paul" suffragette (no politics here! LOL!) instead of a Liberty from 1881 - 1885. So we lost the following potentials: Longacre gold Liberties, Trade Dollar, Morgan Dollar, V Nickel and Indian Cent. Man, it could have been a really nice 5 coin set, but I will personally collect a MS and Proof set of 4 coins each for an attractive set of coins.

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>First Spouse Release Schedule

I'm glad you brought up Buchanan. I was thinking about this today. He served as President from 1857-1861.
    I wonder which classic coin design the Mint will put on his Liberty coin. I kind of hope it's the Indian Head Cent obverse myself. >>

Since they are already using the Seated Liberty design, I think they will use the $20 Liberty Head design as it is pretty much the same design as was on the $10, $5, $2.5 and the Large Cent at the time.
  • Options

<< <i>So we have 3 nice designs so far, and hopefully a nice Liberty coin in 2010. It should be a 5 coin series, but they have the "Alice Paul" suffragette (no politics here! LOL!) instead of a Liberty from 1881 - 1885. So we lost the following potentials: Longacre gold Liberties, Trade Dollar, Morgan Dollar, V Nickel and Indian Cent. Man, it could have been a really nice 5 coin set, but I will personally collect a MS and Proof set of 4 coins each for an attractive set of coins. >>

The substitution of the Alice Paul coin is lame. It should totally be a Morgan Dollar design gold Liberty for Arthur. That would be so cool!!! image But no, certain politicians had to mess around with common sense legislation. I mean she was born in the last year of Arthur's presidency, makes no sense at all as she is not connected to President Arthur in any way and it really isn't fair to his memory (though I guess we'll have a golden dollar to take care of that)... oh well... enough ranting... I'll probably still be a buyer.

Also, has it ever been confirmed that we'll actually have 2 coins each for Tyler and Wilson as each had 2 first spouses (not simultaneously image)???? Or is it possible they would honor both spouses on the same coin?? If they do separate coins, 2009 and 2013 will be expensive years!!
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    I will get either the proof or circulation strike, though not both. Have to see them in hand at the FUN show to decide which one I want to own.

As a Seated Coinage collector, I love to have this coin as a compliment to the 19th century coinsimage.

Dennis
  • Options
    yeah I will buy one of each.

I haven't used live.com at all.

Is it real!

Am I giving away personal info ....

Either way ll I have done so far is overpay.

All I need after this is the last one in 2010.

I don' care for the spouse series.

They are ugly coins.

But I want the subset. Thats all.
    Ships are safe in harbor but thats not what ships were built for.
  • Options
    sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 819 ✭✭✭
    They just posted the Van Buren’s Libertys on teh USM website

Prices: $549.95 / $524.95
  • Options

<< <i>They just posted the Van Buren’s Libertys on teh USM website

Prices: $549.95 / $524.95 >>

Still a huge premium to melt so maybe it'll keep mintages low image
  • Options
    As a reminder, these coins go on sale in about 12 hours... who's buying????

I'll probably be ordering 2 proofs and 2 uncirculateds. Gold going up in the last couple of weeks makes the premium over spot slightly more bearable, but it's still expensive...

The high premiums on this set has resulted in me revising my original plan to collect 2 of each proof and uncirculated over the entire series... Now I'm just buying one of each (with the exception of the Liberty designs which I'm getting 2 of each).

Anyone else buying the Seated Liberty gold tomorrow?????????
  • Options
    Just bought one of each.

Three down one to go!!!!!!
  • Options
    2007 First Spouse Series One-Half Ounce Gold Proof Coin Dolley Madison (X04)

Price: $529.95 More Info.

Product is not available.

2007 First Spouse Series One-Half Ounce Gold Uncirculated Coin Dolley Madison (X08)

Price: $509.95 More Info.

Product is not available.

MY ORDER IS IN FOR ONE OF EACH ,12:02
  • Options
    Order is in for the Van Buren "Liberty one of each,12:02 only one more to go in 2010
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did anyone else order any? Saving my dough for next years junk.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    RarityRarity Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone knows the final mintages of Van Buren proof & unc ?

Have a wonderful July 4th holiday everyone, thanks.

• Options
    The 1/6/10 Mint Stats in Numismatic News had the finals sales of the Van Buren Liberty at:

4,334 unc
    7,515 proof

Not sure if that is official though or whether they are later adjusted/revised before making into the RedBook or other sources.
  • Options
    RarityRarity Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The 1/6/10 Mint Stats in Numismatic News had the finals sales of the Van Buren Liberty at:

4,334 unc
    7,515 proof
    >>

Thanks illini
  • Options
    Wow, was flirting with the idea of selling off my Liberty subset so I decided to check and see what they have been going for. I figured they'd be going for around melt, maybe a little bit more.

In just looking at the Greysheet the bid/ask are as follows:

Jefferson Unc $600/$620
    Jefferson Proof $600/$620
    Jackson Unc $875/$915
    Jackson Proof $875/$915
    Van Buren Unc $875/$915
    Van Buren Proof $825/$865

So, it looks like the Jeffersons are priced right at melt prices, but I was a bit surprised at such high prices on the Jackson and Van Buren, especially since I thought the Greysheet had been pretty low on the First Spouse coins in the past couple of years... are these prices accurate??? Could I really get $4650-$4850 for my current 6 coin unc and proof set of Liberty gold?????????????

Edited to add a pic of these awesome coins:

• Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    Those numbers might even be somewhat conservative. You might do better if you shopped around for a buyer.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll get the final proof. I'm kicking myself now for not picking up the UNC versions.

JH
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, it looks like the Jeffersons are priced right at melt prices, but I was a bit surprised at such high prices on the Jackson and Van Buren, especially since I thought the Greysheet had been pretty low on the First Spouse coins in the past couple of years... are these prices accurate??? Could I really get $4650-$4850 for my current 6 coin unc and proof set of Liberty gold?????????????

Those prices seem close, but ebay auction prices on these coins have been erratic. The Jeffersons have been a little higher recently, and the other two are simply up and down all over the map, but usually between $900 and $1000 for the Jacksons, and around $900 for the Van Burens. They are great-looking coins!

Sorry to say - you won't realize $4,600 after ebay fees.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    RebelRonRebelRon Posts: 544 ✭✭
    I'll go for the bronzes!
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments everyone... still trying to decided whether to part with the set or to hold on to it and eventually add the Buchanan... was just surprised by the run up in prices over the past year or so mostly I guess and was wondering if now was the time to cash out on these.

<< <i>

Those prices seem close, but ebay auction prices on these coins have been erratic. The Jeffersons have been a little higher recently, and the other two are simply up and down all over the map, but usually between $900 and $1000 for the Jacksons, and around $900 for the Van Burens. They are great-looking coins!

Sorry to say - you won't realize $4,600 after ebay fees. >>

Yeah, I imagine that ebay fees on something like that would be $250+ image Accordingly, I really don't do much eBay anymore. Just so much easier to put things on the BST here (w/o fees) and if it doesn't sell there then sell at a local show and/or consign to Teletrade or something like that. Thanks again for the comments.
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    The buchanan will probably be a higher mintage than the Van Buren so I would not sell that VB coin, if you have to sell something do the Jefferson only. I expect prices to slowly climb on these over time, in 10 years you would regret selling the VB and Jackson IMHO.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Demand for the Liberty subset may pick up once the set of 4 is complete. Mintages are low and the designs are attractive (especially in Proof).

The Spouse series as a whole is beginning to generate some excitement - check out recent prices for the Julia and Letitia Tyler coins in PCGS MS and Proof 70! The two remaining issues for this year, Buchanan's Liberty and Mary Todd Lincoln, should also be popular and inspire more interest in the series.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    The last Liberty will be short struck. Sales of previous First Haag's (the last few) have shown that the sales levels have trouble reaching more than 6k proofs and around half that for the uncs. Expect the same for the last Liberty

If you are not ordering day one at noon, be prepared to be surprised. That's my opinion.
  • Options

<< <i>Yeah, I imagine that ebay fees on something like that would be $250+ image Accordingly, I really don't do much eBay anymore. >>

Apparently not. image

Figuring a 99 cent start, just one $900 sale would cost you about $75 in eBay/PayPal fees. Fees for all six would probably be close to $500.
  • Options
    The only way the coins being short-struck would matter is if sales last into next year and sales are less than the short-struck amount. Otherwise they can just strike as many more as they need assuming they have more blanks....
  • Options

<< <i>The last Liberty will be short struck. Sales of previous First Haag's (the last few) have shown that the sales levels have trouble reaching more than 6k proofs and around half that for the uncs. Expect the same for the last Liberty

If you are not ordering day one at noon, be prepared to be surprised. That's my opinion. >>

What kind of surprise are you thinking of ???
  • Options
    The Mint has already announced a 15,000 mintage limit (both options combined) for the Buchanan's Liberty coin. I think that a sellout is possible, given the increasing prices of the Jackson and Van Buren Liberty coins, each with combined mintages in the 12,000 area.

There seems to be plenty of money floating around for moderns - the 2010 proof Platinum Eagle is close to a sellout after only a week, with a mintage limit of 10,000 and a price of $1892.

• Options
    IMO, sellout within a few days of a short struck coin.....struck to the tune of the last few sales, the USM will not fire up the presses to strike more.....

remember , the mint gives max mintages, but always follows the path of striking to last known anticipated demend (the last few coins issued in this case)
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    I am planning to buy at least two of each MS and PF. All I can afford and hoping that they will be First Strike 70s when I submit to PCGS.
  • Options
    Illini420, your pics are very motivating...thanks. This will be a great set...low mintage, neo-classic, gold and yet to be discovered by J6P. Watch this set be promo'd big time in the mags and tv. I think it'll be a slow and steady riser. The only way to better the set as is would be some higher relief.

R95
  • Options

<< <i>IMO, sellout within a few days of a short struck coin.....struck to the tune of the last few sales, the USM will not fire up the presses to strike more.....

remember , the mint gives max mintages, but always follows the path of striking to last known anticipated demend (the last few coins issued in this case) >>

This may be different. If the initial inventory of Buchanan's Liberty coins sell out before the end of 2010, more can be struck to meet the additional demand (up to the authorized limit of 15,000 coins in both finishes).

As far as I know, the previous "short struck" coins (Jackson's and Buchanan's Liberty) sold out in 2009. At that point no more could legally be struck, since they were dated 2008.

• Options

<< <i>
    As far as I know, the previous "short struck" coins (Jackson's and Buchanan's Liberty) sold out in 2009. At that point no more could legally be struck, since they were dated 2008. >>

Is there really a hard rule that the Mint can't mint a 2010 dated coin in early 2011??? Not sure the Jackson and Van Buren Liberty coins were "short struck" since each was available for sale for a full calendar year each after their initial release dates. I don't recall there being any sign of them being unavailable during that calendar year and they apparently could have been purchased well into 2009 until the calendar year since their release was up. There just wasn't big enough demand for them at the time and that is why the "mintage" ended up being what it is.

If there is a rule against striking a 2008 dated coin in 2009, presumably the full authorized mintages of the Jackson and Van Buren coins were struck during 2008 and then perhaps melted after going unsold after a full year of availablity? Or maybe they're sitting in a vault at the Mint somewhere?? Hope not!!!!!!

Anyways, after thinking it over some more I think I have to keep this set image It's just too cool, especially in comparison to most of the other modern crap being offered by the Mint. Will be a great set when the Buchanan coin is added... it is just so unfortunate that they aren't making a 5th Liberty coin for Chester Arthur. Still can't believe that Congress substituted a Spouse coin for Alice Paul instead of doing a 5th Liberty!!! Would have been sweet to end the Liberty sub-series with an Indian Head Cent design (or maybe a Trade Dollar or Morgan Dollar even) in 1/2 oz. of gold image
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Some people find the next ones design ugly, so I hope it wont sell very well and will also become a "short struck" coin.
  • Options
    I agree Overdate if it was coming out in December then there is the chance it would be short struck but not in September, as they have 4 months to strike more. Since they will order more blanks for Lincoln they could use some of those for the Liberty coin and cover more orders. My guess is the Van Buren will be the low mintage Liberty coin.
    7/8 is saying Buchanan, let's see who ends up right.

PS Maybe the Lincoln is short struck though compared to demand.
  • Options

<< <i>Is there really a hard rule that the Mint can't mint a 2010 dated coin in early 2011??? Not sure the Jackson and Van Buren Liberty coins were "short struck" since each was available for sale for a full calendar year each after their initial release dates. >>

If I recall correctly, the Jackson went off sale shortly before its one-year anniversary. The proof and the uncirculated disappeared on separate days, but within a week of each other. So it was likely short struck. I'm not sure about the Van Buren.

I understand that it is currently a hard rule that the Mint cannot strike coins with a previous year's date.

• Options
    If you feel so confident that Buchanan Liberty will be stuck to maximum and available for a long period of time,

go ahead and take your time ordering - wait a week or so,

I wouldnt take the chance. I'm with EricJ96 on this one. DAY 1 NOON.

BTW Half, you dont have a particularly good record on being right about mintages.......plats/buffs, sorry, I had to take a cheap shot, I cant help myself.

No worries.
  • Options
    Lol, I didn't say how long it would take to sell out, only that the mintage would end up being higher than van Buren. It could be a couple days or a few weeks or they could have some on backorder for a couple months, but the maximum mintage is enough to take it past Van Buren if they make that number.

PS Yes I was so wrong on those gold buffalo coins, picking those over the 2008 plat unc coins. Which sell for more? last time I checked it was still the gold buffalo coins by a lot. And remember the 1 coin theory, that wasn't my idea.image
  • Options
    Half -

You were wrong on final mintages of BOTH the Buffalo's (remember the proofs) AND the Plat mintages in 2008. Let's not cloud the facts with the element of confusion.

You were not the only one who made money on the Buffalo's-many people on the forum did, but in recent weeks your "unrealized" gains have been evaporating. You actually have to SELL to realize your gains. Buffalo gold has shown real signs of weakness, it's the lastest fad gone by, keep your personal coins to stare at their beauty, and unload the rest.

Like Kenny said, "know when to fold 'em"

What matters with the last Liberty subset coin is ultimately the mintage and the speed of the sellout.

We know there is pent up demand for the last of the Liberty Series, probably in excess of 8-10k for each of the finishes - with most demand leaning toward the proofs.

An offering where availability is only in the 5-6k range for proofs will sellout quick and be explosive for secondary market prices. The predictable outcome is striking the issue to "prior release sales" or "anticipated demand".

I'll be there on DAY 1 at noon, procrastinators and latecomers may be surprised at how low the mintage is and how quickly this goes.
  • Options
    taken from EricJ96 post on the Modern monster thread..............

<< <i>2. Our friends at the Mint have to plan their planchet usage very closely these days due to limited supplier capacity and they are ordering and striking coins based on “anticipated demand”. The thing is the Mint has been seeing mint state sales for these coins in the 3-4 thousand range this year and proof sales in the 5-6 thousand range. It is possible that the last of the four coin Liberty short set has been short stuck relative to its sales potential. >>

I agree completely. Very high possibility of very low numbers.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file