Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Revised GENUINE service

Comments

• Options
    Wow! It took me a few days to read this thread. This makes me very happy.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No-one is concerned with how such coins will be valued. Perhaps the reason why ANACS net-grades. image

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No-one is concerned with how such coins will be valued. Perhaps the reason why ANACS net-grades. image

Leo >>

It is already difficult to value any net graded coin. I like it this way so I can make my own judgement. ANACS is still there and so is NCS. This is just better than a body bag for the folks like me that want it in my collection and want it in the same slab as everything else.
  • Options

<< <i>Some believe this move cheapens the PCGS brand.

Comments? >>

I don't think so, as long as they stay away from net grading I think this is great. Yeah some folks will have to work a little harder to weed through listings but if there is no grade in the listing assume it is genuine and move on.
  • Options

Hi Don,

A BIG welcome and thanks for the improved service regarding the Genuine Holder. You are so right on with many collectors wanting their coins in PCGS holders that for whatever the reason was not graded when submitted. This is especially true for gold and key coins where counterfeiting can be a big problem. For me I think that you have really done your homework and PCGS gets an A+ on this added service.

Larry
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don:

If I send in a Seated "Potty" dollar can I get it put into a PCGS Genuine holder?
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options

<< <i>To begin with, participation in the revised Genuine service is optional, although all submissions will default to the new Genuine process unless otherwise specified. A new submission form, available Jan. 1st, will provide the submitter the ability to opt out of the Genuine process. This will apply to the entire submission (there can be no mixing). Coins that are determined to be impaired will be returned in a body bag. For submissions sent in after Dec. 1 on the old form simply write on the form ‘do not holder Genuine coins’.
    >>

Am I missing something? Is there an extra cost for this? I had thought that to get a coin slabbed genuine it was $100.

I love the new way you will be slabbing genuine coins, in the long run I can have more slabbed and can upgrade at a later date. It will mean I do not have to send to ANACS so I can sell them at auction. Thanks

.....next suggestion I have made in the past .... I would like to see PCGS offer these Tri View inserts even at at small fee as an option say $5-10 and also attribute Overton edge errors so I can see the CBH edges and the stars on my indian head $10 gold.

Missing My Life -PSA-Please Watch- 30 seconds could help someone you know

"If I say something in the woods, and my wife isn't around to hear it. Am I still wrong?"
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>To begin with, participation in the revised Genuine service is optional, although all submissions will default to the new Genuine process unless otherwise specified. A new submission form, available Jan. 1st, will provide the submitter the ability to opt out of the Genuine process. This will apply to the entire submission (there can be no mixing). Coins that are determined to be impaired will be returned in a body bag. For submissions sent in after Dec. 1 on the old form simply write on the form ‘do not holder Genuine coins’.
    >>

Am I missing something? Is there an extra cost for this? I had thought that to get a coin slabbed genuine it was $100.

I love the new way you will be slabbing genuine coins, in the long run I can have more slabbed and can upgrade at a later date. It will mean I do not have to send to ANACS so I can sell them at auction. Thanks

.....next suggestion I have made in the past .... I would like to see PCGS offer these Tri View inserts even at at small fee as an option say $5-10 and also attribute Overton edge errors so I can see the CBH edges and the stars on my indian head $10 gold.

image >>

I agree!!imageimage

These Tri view inserts are exponentially better than the new NGC holdersimageimage

Kudos to PCGS and welcome to Don. Keep up the good workimage
    "Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end."
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PQMorgans, if you read the thread a bit more carefully, you will see the cost question has already been asked, and answered.
    No additional cost after 12/1/2008. The $100 Genuine service will be canceled and this new policy takes place.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    This is good for me!! My wife bought me a CC seated liberty dime that would grade maybe a G6 for my birthday this year. She wanted to send it to be graded but was scared of the body bag!! Now i can get this dime in a holder for christmas and it will go in my box of 20 since i know she worked so hard to get it for me!!!
    MSgt USAF Jan-06 - Present
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    This will be a welcome change. Now if there was a net grade associated with each "no grade" coin, it would be even better.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options

<< <i>Now if there was a net grade associated with each "no grade" coin, it would be even better. >>

I totally disagree.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Now if there was a net grade associated with each "no grade" coin, it would be even better. >>

I totally disagree. >>

Why?
    Would you disagree with a "details" grade as well?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I totally disagree. >>

Why?
    Would you disagree with a "details" grade as well? >>

Yes, I would disagree with a details grade as well. I believe it's unnecessary, and unhelpful, confusing to a lot of collectors and more likely to be abused by numismatic creeps.

I would also add that, based on some other companies' "net grading'. it appears that this is even more subjective and inconsistent than regular grading.

I like the PCGS Genuine solution. Seems simple, and straightforward, and I believe it will be the holder of choice for "problem" coins in the marketplace.

Edited to add: I don't understand though the exclusion of holed and plugged coins from this service. At a recent show I saw an uncirculated silver Immune Columbia colonial of which there are about 10 known. It was stunning, pedigreed to a famous collection and holed and neatly plugged at 12 o'clock (as are many of this issue). And it would still be worth about $20K++. Surely that would be worthy of a Genuine holder, right?
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Are the genuine coins on the pop reports?
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand though the exclusion of holed and plugged coins from this service. At a recent show I saw an uncirculated silver Immune Columbia colonial of which there are about 10 known. It was stunning, pedigreed to a famous collection and holed and neatly plugged at 12 o'clock (as are many of this issue). And it would still be worth about $20K++. Surely that would be worthy of a Genuine holder, right?

The problem, I think, is that holed and plugged coins can be extremely deceptive, and a buyer might think that a "Genuine" holdered plugged coin might just have some lesser problem. This is another good reason to state the problem on the holder. (But again, I think it's very important that the problem be noted only on the reverse of the slab.) BTW, one more reason is that if PCGS has a policy against holdering holed and plugged coins, then it could have some liability for unknowingly putting a holed and plugged coin with other problems in a "Genuine" slab.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would you disagree with a "details" grade as well?

Before getting too deeply into that argument, consider if the "details grade" would be of any significant use to a collector. I think not. But if you disagree, please explain why.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This will be a welcome change. Now if there was a net grade associated with each "no grade" coin, it would be even better. >>

If they'd also note the problem the coin has as NCS does, PCGS would have it on lock in all areas TPG is concerned with.

Ryan
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Would you disagree with a "details" grade as well?

Before getting too deeply into that argument, consider if the "details grade" would be of any significant use to a collector. I think not. But if you disagree, please explain why. >>

I see the major auction houses when they list a coin in a pcgs genuine slab currently give their opinion as to the details grade.

While a in person examination of a coin by a knowledgeable person is prefered many sales are done sight unseen and to less less knowedgeable collectors. If pcgs were to give their opinon of the details grade it would help avoid resellers giving different opinions on the same coin.

I could see the same coin over time being sold by three different auction houses with three different details grade opinions.
    And eBay well anything goes there.

If you want the coin treated as a raw coin then better of just to leave it raw rather than associate the pcgs brand with it imho.
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If they'd also note the problem the coin has as NCS does, PCGS would have it on lock in all areas TPG is concerned with.

Ryan >>

Actually, they are... they're just doing it via numeric code, not spelling it out.

And I also agree that NOT net grading the coin or giving a details grade is the right thing to do.

You know the coin is genuine.

You know the coin has problems.

The rest is between buyer/seller/cataloguer/whatever. No need for PCGS to state a grade and have it misconstrued by the unethical: "That grade is before taking into account the problem! No, that's a net grade after the problem! Blah blah...."
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    And the whole can of worms started to tumble out...
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A great idea!!
  • Options

<< <i>A great idea!! >>

Especially since the "Genuine Service" will no longer come with a $100 per coin price tag!
  • Options
    Great clarifications Don!!!
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I totally disagree. >>

Why?

Yes, I would disagree with a details grade as well. I believe it's unnecessary, and unhelpful, confusing to a lot of collectors and more likely to be abused by numismatic creeps. >>

the biggest "creep" culprit being the boyz at HERITAGE

K S
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple of advantages to NOT putting either a details or net grade on a Genuine slab:

1) Less time and cost to PCGS and ultimately to its customers.
    2) Less headaches when crossing over problem coins (does PCGS agree with the ANACS details grade, etc.?)
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

Before getting too deeply into that argument, consider if the "details grade" would be of any significant use to a collector. I think not. But if you disagree, please explain why. >>

The significance of a details grade is that's why the coin was sent in - for grading

Why is any coin sent in? For grading

Why is the grade important? Isn't really isn't by itself, but it values the coin.

Sooo, if we have a problem coin submitted, we want to know what it's worth. Without the grade and the problem stated, that objective is not achieved.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

The significance of a details grade is that's why the coin was sent in - for grading

Why is the grade important? Isn't really isn't by itself, but it values the coin.

Sooo, if we have a problem coin submitted, we want to know what it's worth. Without the grade and the problem stated, that objective is not achieved. >>

Right, and PCGS is saying (right on the holder) that the coin is NOT GRADABLE. However, they
    will now throw it in a holder and indicate why it isn't.
  • Options
    DDRDDR Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great change, thanks! You'll likely get some business that would have otherwise gone to ANACS or NCS.

I agree, though, with others who would like to see holed and plugged coins also slabbed as genuine.
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    What happens if a coin has more than one problem?
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options

<< <i>What happens if a coin has more than one problem? >>

He already answered that when I asked it earlier. image

He said they will list the more prominent or worst issue. There will not be more than one problem listed.
  • Options

<< <i>

Sooo, if we have a problem coin submitted, we want to know what it's worth. Without the grade and the problem stated, that objective is not achieved. >>

The problem is stated in the form of a number and it is Authenticated as genuine. It's tough enough to grade problem free coins but for me there is too much variation in how a grader might think the problem effects the grade, like cleaning etc. I'd rather see a genuine coin and make up my own mind as to what it net grades to.
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>What happens if a coin has more than one problem? >>

He already answered that when I asked it earlier. image

He said they will list the more prominent or worst issue. There will not be more than one problem listed. >>

Thank you. image
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the decision not to issue detail grades or net grade. How do you net grade an uncirculated Morgan with a single small "x" in the cheek? What if it is only a small line (1/2 of an "x") or three small "x's"? Time and again we have seen examples of sellers using the details grade to try to deceive the numismatically naive. Why give them additional ammo?
  • Options
    Tyler1924S has got it right!!

I choose #2 :

"GENUINE BUT NOT GRADED" is best!! Even "NOT GRADED" would suffice!

The proposed label "GENUINE NOT GRADED" is confusing and even denotes a negative!!
  • Options
    I agree with the decision not to issue detail grades or net grade.

Man, I have been waiting for this.

I have some $2 1/2 Gold Indians that need a home, but not a grade.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    so fewer links here to BB submissions in the future....lol

thanks for the changeimage
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>so fewer links here to BB submissions in the future....lol

thanks for the changeimage >>

They are still BB, just come home in a different tomb.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    mustanggtmustanggt Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for an excellent explaination.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Does this mean that Forum Members can now

be slabbed as "Genuine Collectors?"
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does this mean that Forum Members can now

be slabbed as "Genuine Collectors?" >>

That is deep! Really deep, man! Genuine verses originality? That is deep!

Leo image

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I totally disagree. >>

Why?

Yes, I would disagree with a details grade as well. I believe it's unnecessary, and unhelpful, confusing to a lot of collectors and more likely to be abused by numismatic creeps.

I would also add that, based on some other companies' "net grading'. it appears that this is even more subjective and inconsistent than regular grading.

I like the PCGS Genuine solution. Seems simple, and straightforward, and I believe it will be the holder of choice for "problem" coins in the marketplace.

Edited to add: I don't understand though the exclusion of holed and plugged coins from this service. At a recent show I saw an uncirculated silver Immune Columbia colonial of which there are about 10 known. It was stunning, pedigreed to a famous collection and holed and neatly plugged at 12 o'clock (as are many of this issue). And it would still be worth about $20K++. Surely that would be worthy of a Genuine holder, right? >>

I believe that a "details" grade can be abused, but a "net" grade is hard to dispute (i.e. neither unhelpful nor confusing).
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    oh and image

let's have a 3 post give-a-way!

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I still recommend that you:

1) spell out the no-grade description to prevent misunderstanding and deception,
    2) use a different acronym on the holder so on-line buyers can search for graded coins without getting mixtures of “genuine” and “graded” responses, and
    3) use a distinctive color or style of label limited only to “genuine” coin holders.

These measures will not degrade the PCGS product, but rather, will enhance the clarity and brand recognition of your product and trade dress. >>

image >>

I don't.

With no grade on the holder what is there to misunderstand or deceive. Even a confused nub with no clue as to this service would start flipping the holder around looking for a grade and come across the 'not gradable' designation.

Change the acronym to suite search engines and auction sites? KISS. You're over-thinking it. One should easily be able to browse right on by a genuine coin with no problem.

And if you're going to suggest a different color why then not make the holder itself different too. Where do you stop? Maybe we can bring back the Rattler for problem coins. Print all over the label what the problem is, and give it a problem number, change the label to a bright red flag to serve as a warning, and totally ugly it all up.

No. Same holder same color label and a number that simply states a problem code and not gradable is pretty close to perfect as it is and answers the customers' requests.

Good job.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    My first thought was this is a bad idea. Now, reading this stuff I changed my mind. It may not be for everyone, and there are some issues, but it looks like it will be easy to tell the coin is not graded. There are always people who will try to scam, but no matter what you do they will still try to scam. The best thing to do is educate and this tool will be educational. The holder will clearly state not gradeable on the reverse. I don't know anyone who would buy a coin and not flip over the holder to see both sides of the coin.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Does this mean that Forum Members can now

be slabbed as "Genuine Collectors?" >>

Not if you've been 'holed'.
    Paul
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe a few free submissions to board members is in order here image
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think I saw this question, but I assume that for crossovers, the coin will not be cracked out of one holder to be put in a PCGS Genuine holde if the coin is determined to have problems.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What? We're only a single post from 100 and no one can give it that bump?

peacockcoins

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will probably join PCGS now image Just joined NGC earlier this year, and it's not very fun paying the $$ and not even getting them slabbed, especially for coins that I just wanted in plastic for protection/storage and didn't really care about the grade. At least I'll be getting some plastic for my money if my raw coins don't qualify for a grade!!! woo hoo

i guess I'm supposed to say the following as well:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file