Home Precious Metals
Options

B&M dealers

Had a bad experiance the other day in Athens, Ohio figured I'd share:

I have only been into 2 shops in my life. I was 2 hours from home one day when I passed this small shop in the middle of nowhere. I stopped in to see if he had any silver for sale. Soon as I walked in I could tell this guy was a bit full of himself. Had a few Mint sets in display cases and lots of holders and such but that's about it. I asked if he had any silver for sale he first said no. Then he said he would sell some if I paid what he paid for them. How much I asked, $25/oz he stated for ASE's. I casually blew that off and asked about 90%. Do you buy it I asked, He replied he'd have to see it to give price. I said you can't give me a price like 7x face or something like that? He said No, It depends on dates and condition and you'll never get 7x face when silver is @ $9 (spot was $9.97 at this time). I replied "really?" He said smugly Really! I didn't get into the debate of paper/bullion with him. I decided to ask, do you have any for sale? I'll give you 9x face. He laughed and said he would sell for 18x, I then laughed. While walkin out the door I stated Silver is $10/oz BTW, He got pissed and said Your wrong, Its 9.97! I said well its closer to $10 than the $9 you told me it was at when I entered. What a moron, Are all dealers like this?
Its all relative

Comments

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    CRAZY!! man I can't believe that dealer.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some B&M are really bad dealers, but it's not true for all of us
    sounds like he really was full of himself, gotta see 90% kinda funny

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    get used to it.

i consider myself lucky to have 1 good shop out of 3 in my area.
  • Options
    Most dealers dont play fair. Im not talking about them giving away stuff at cost, just play fair. There are exceptions though, and I have a small circle of VERY fair dealers who I deal with almost exclusively now.
  • Options
    Yes, the one I have met the other day sounds like his twin.
  • Options
    JoesMaNameJoesMaName Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    I’ve found that quite a few dealers fall into the pawnbroker mentality after a while. Not all do and there’s nothing wrong with it... It's just not the friendly home town coin shop Norman Rockwell would have painted, where you take your kids in to sift through the wheat penny bucket etc. It seems to get worse with hard times and high PM prices.
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options
    what a tool

i would've spit on his floor on the way out
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    Try a big, legitimate dealer... I buy in downtown Chicago at Harlan Berk and have always been happy with the service and prices.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)