Home Precious Metals
Options

US mint to make Palladium coins

Will the U.S. mint's production of palladium in 2010, raise liquidity and value of the metal in the market?
I see some 1 oz bars, I can get for $225 after live, and I'm wondering If i should pull the trigger..
Buying uncut sheets and 1914 stars! message me

Comments

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Maybe it would be best to wait a while.

Although, $225 is not terrible; based on today's price.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    I know I could google it but i'm being lazy... What's Palladium used for?
  • Options

<< <i>I know I could google it but i'm being lazy... What's Palladium used for? >>

Industrial mostly.

Used in catalytic converters and exaust scrubbers for large plants.

It also has a usage in jewelry, but it's not a large percentage.

It's considered in the platinum group of precious metals.

The richest known deposit on the planet is in Montana.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    deadhorse or anyone else, do you think a person should hold some palladium or to put money in gold/silver instead?
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The richest known deposit on the planet is in Montana. >>

You would think Northwest Terriorial Mint would have some Stillwater palladium coins/bars in stock. image
  • Options

<< <i>Will the U.S. mint's production of palladium in 2010, raise liquidity and value of the metal in the market?
    I see some 1 oz bars, I can get for $225 after live, and I'm wondering If i should pull the trigger.. >>

I think I read they may do the High Relief Saint in Palladium also, I was considering buying an ounce now with the intention of if the price goes way up, being able to sell my current ounce to cover most of the HRS, if they actually make them.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Palladium is UGLY!!!!
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Agreed--even if it is plentiful in my home state! Why not make some coins made of lead or antimony?
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The richest known deposit on the planet is in Montana. >>

Russia is by far the top producer of Palladium. If you are saying that Montana has the 'richest' deposit, you are using a narrow definition of what 'richest' is.

About half of the palladium used in the world is for catalyst material for automobiles. Palladium is not the only metal used for auto catalysts and various mixtures of metals may be used. Legislation can affect this balance, the balance between gasoline and diesel engines can affect this balance. Of course, overall world automobile demand can dramatically affect demand for all of the metals used in auto catalysts. About one quarter of the demand for palladium for automobiles is satisfied by recycling catalysts rather than mining new metal.

If you are going to play this metal on the investment side, you are really riding on the back of the automobile industry demand for this metal.

I guess i'd characterize it as a silvery metal that does not tarnish or corrode at all. In this sense, it is very much like a 'cheap platinum'. I suspect if you put a palladium coin next to a platinum coin, you would find they are practically identical. However, I don't have either metal in my hand to prove it.

Russia has a stockpile of this metal such that they can manipulate this market. At this time, they are selling, selling, selling this metal. Russia had been in cash city when oil was at $140. But now, they must dump other commodities they hold, as the oil fun is largely over for them.

Any US Mint demand for palladium will be so small relative to the rest of the market that it will not affect the overall price significantly. Buying this metal in my opinion gets you into a market controlled by the main supply in Russia versus the main demand in autocatalysts.

Thoughts for the future on this metal:
    It's all about cars right now.
    Will gasoline/diesel engines be phased out for electric/LNG/Hydrogen vehicles? If so, then the demand will continue to fall. We currently need this metal to satisfy environmental regulations; a catalyst is needed to 'clean up' the gasses that come from the burning of long chain hydrocarbons. You have to ask yourself...will long chain hydrocarbons be our future? We currently suck them out of the ground for 'free'. Long chain hydrocarbons can be made synthetically; oil may have a long future. Or the economy could switch to burning something else. Or a little of both.
    Or will a new technology nobody has ever heard of be created in the next few decades to require this metal? The future can hold stuff like that!

• Options
    I was using multiple sources on various sites.

Platinum and palladium are often found together, but not always in the same ratios.

It has been stated many times that the largest palladium deposit is in Montana.

That doesn't equate to the largest platinum deposit, by any means.

Palladium isn't really all that attractive. Pale silvery white colored metal.

*edited for speeling
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
  • Options
    mkman123 ........ " do you think a person should hold some palladium or to put money in gold/silver instead? "

At this point..... I would go for [1] silver [2] gold [3] platinum [4] palladium...... in that order.

One other thing about palladium..... unless you deal with a real market maker in Pl .....

the buy sell spreads can be VERY wide.

[ mkman ....... did you get the PM I sent you, about Engelhard bar styles, a few days back?]

Keep on stack'n!!
    Silver Baron
    Silver is the mortar that binds the bricks of loyalty.
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Don't the Canadians mint palladium Maples? Seems that they wern't very popular.

Stack'um High!
    John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options

<< <i>deadhorse or anyone else, do you think a person should hold some palladium or to put money in gold/silver instead? >>

Palladium would be far down my list.

I think I'll watch the prices, but I have a feeling that it's usage is on the downward swing.

Other metals and alloys are replacing it in industrial usage.
  • Options
    are the 2010 palladium coins a rumor or actually in the works?

ty
    frank
  • Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Palladium is UGLY!!!! >>

You cannot tell the difference between a proof silver or platinum coin from palladium coin at first glance. If you made the same design of all three,I bet very small percentage can tell the difference. I do think its good to have a diversification in metals and thats why I own a small amout in palladium and platinum and have done so for years.
  • Options
    D.O.A.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    D.O.A.

Coinboy, as discussed in a different thread, the authorization bill was written around palladium. So, if there is to be a gold coin, how can they avoid making the palladium ones?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.