Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Is this Panda real?

I just won a Panda on eBay for what I feel is a pretty decent price. I always seem to see the Pandas go for about $30 minimum... did I just get lucky, or is it fake?

Link

And I understand the slab isn't in the top 3, I was valuing it as uncertified.
Buying £2 Britannias

Comments

• Options
    ajbaumanajbauman Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭
    Gecko?
    Buying £2 Britannias
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a real one, but what is that slab thing it is tombed in?
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    $14.51? Not bad at all. You got a bargain actually. I would pay that price in a second.

What is that slab? I wonder how SaorAlba determined that it is likely genuine. Faking Panda silver is not that lucrative I suppose.
    Nice job!!!
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

What is that slab? I wonder how SaorAlba determined that it is likely genuine. Faking Panda silver is not that lucrative I suppose.
    Nice job!!! >>

The fakes, and yes there are many, usually have flat dull surfaces. This one has the appearance of a Shenzhen minted piece.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    Sorry guys, 24 hours at work with no computer is a beech! Nobody can tell 100% from the photos, but I have no reason to believe its fake. The proof is in the pudding tho. When you get it, crack it out of that godawful slab and set it on a scale. If it comes up short of 31 grams, its a fugazy(sp?). If it is genuine (and I believe it is), then you did quite well as this coin usually sells for a minimum of $25.
  • Options
    sbeverlysbeverly Posts: 962 ✭✭✭
    I just recently submitted 25 Silver Pandas for a customer to be graded.

Several of them were obvious fakes. Several of them were questionable.
    I had them prescreened because of my suspicions.

15 came back graded. 10 of them were fakes.

Due to the popularity of the Panda (rising prices) many counterfits are
    coming out of China.

Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...
  • Options

<< <i>I just recently submitted 25 Silver Pandas for a customer to be graded.

Several of them were obvious fakes. Several of them were questionable.
    I had them prescreened because of my suspicions.

15 came back graded. 10 of them were fakes.

Due to the popularity of the Panda (rising prices) many counterfits are
    coming out of China. >>

Weighing them is the most reliable way to tell real from fake. Although its possible that an advanced counterfeiter would use real silver to make a highly deceptive fake, I have yet to hear of a single one.
  • Options
    Here is an article from the NGC site which goes into some detail about Panda counterfeits. http://www.ngccoin.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?NewsletterNewsArticleID=67

The eyes of the Panda appear to be a quick way to tell if a coin is a counterfeit if one does not carry a scale when Panda hunting.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here is an article from the NGC site which goes into some detail about Panda counterfeits. http://www.ngccoin.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?NewsletterNewsArticleID=67

The eyes of the Panda appear to be a quick way to tell if a coin is a counterfeit if one does not carry a scale when Panda hunting. >>

NGC Link
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Thanks guys for weighing in (pun intended).

I'll keep you posted when I get it. I wouldn't think that a 2006 would be counterfited as it is not a rare year and is pretty recent, I guess it is just hard for me to belive that I got a deal image

Thanks again!
    Buying £2 Britannias
  • Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is this Panda real? >>

Since they're all made in China anyway, does it matter? image -Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    Well I finally got my scale in the mail... and... drum roll please............

30.96 Grams ?image

Not quite 31g... but I did buy a cheap scale and I don't quite know how to calibrate it yet.

So I guess that is close enough to determine that it is not a fake?
    Buying £2 Britannias
  • Options
    So is 30.96 Grams close enough (if that is indeed correct) to 31 Grams to determine that it is authentic?
    Buying £2 Britannias
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    The Panda looks real, but who the heck is NES?
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Not to be rude here, But if you have to ask the question,,,you should not be taking money out of your pocket and giving it to someone elseimage
  • Options

<< <i>So is 30.96 Grams close enough (if that is indeed correct) to 31 Grams to determine that it is authentic? >>