Home Precious Metals
Options

WHO ARE THESE IDIOTS?

Who are these idiots that keep bidding up the US silver coins on auction websites when these coins can be purchased now for $15 each through well established company sites? Northwest Territorial has ASE at $15.75 or so now even though you have to buy a few, many other sites are selling ASE at $16 or $17 but every auction I am looking at is closing around $25-$27. It almost tempts me to sell some of my ASE's even though I dont wanna. I know some people are getting 30% back at EBAY, but it isnt just happening there. I am trying on the smaller auction sites, where the ending price used to be a steal and these ASE's with nothing special are going $27 + shipping??? I mean these ASE's are not slabbed, or special in any way. Just a typical ASE. I saw a guy or should I say fool pay $38 for a raw, regular ASE at ioffer today, and he actually paid it paypal so make it $40. What a fool, he could have gotten 3 ounces for a couple bucks more. Yeah, its their money but its ruining it for others. I am not paying $30 for an ASE when silver is $11. So it triples in value, and I break even. No thanks. I swear, if this keeps up I am going to sell and buy back later after the foolishness ends. End rant.

Comments

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    I sold some ASEs on ebay for around ~15.50 each to a forum member
    in an auction. I did not get those insane prices.

Those small auction websites are quite odd. I never used them and
    just shake my head at what appears to be high prices but I doubt
    most are legit. Meaning I do not trust what I am seeing.
  • Options

<< <i>Yeah, its their money but its ruining it for others >>

I don't get that comment... Buying is a choice you make.. If they are avail everywhere for 15 to 18 dollars
    it seems there are plenty of places to buy...

Granted Ebay bidders aren't the brightest... But they don't ruin it for me... For every auction that closes
    hundreds more start....

• Options
    Its just that I used to be able to get ASE on auction sites at Less than what APMEX, etc is selling them for. Even those sites have come down to around $16, its still 50% over spot, so I was actually looking to get some closer to spot. And it just aint happening. On ioffer today a buyer called watkins8245 paid $38.30 + paypal fees for 1 raw, unslabbed, unattractive looking, common year ASE. And it wasnt just that he needed that year because I went to all the other ASEs listed for sale and he is offering stupid amounts for all of them. I am about to email him and offer him all my ASE's for $35 each.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    it's been that way for quite some time
  • Options
    Before I found this message board I didn't even know about the bullion sites...

I remember paying 10 dollars for circulated Walkers. And 20 bucks for circulated Morgans...

Some buyers are just not informed as to the avail resources to get bullion...

And some are just loose with their money...
  • Options
    It's not just ebay. Goodwill also has a auction site I check weekly to see what they have as now and then they have a interesting coin. The people who purchase coins from this site always bid far over value. Here is an example of a Washington Mint Half Pound Silver Coin that is on the first day of the auction bid up over $100. My assumption is that this is a Troy pound being referred to although it is not stated as such. By the end of the auction someone will be paying 2 or 3 times it value.
    Crazy old man from Missouri
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a dealer on our dealer-to-dealer system offering $16 per coin for original BU rolls of silver eagles. He is going to sell them for more.

Why should people sell them to you for under $15.50?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    I am waiting on watkins response from my offer to sell him all my ASE for $35 each. I even offered to pay the shipping.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    agree with what cinman said. Many aren't well informed. I paid more on many things before coming to this site. Now I am much smarter.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Yeah, its their money but its ruining it for others. >>

These are the same "fools " that ran the Coin Market up.Oh

And THAT could be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on how you look at it. image
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> Yeah, its their money but its ruining it for others. >>

These are the same "fools " that ran the Coin Market up.Oh

And THAT could be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on how you look at it. image >>

image it all depends on if you are buying or selling