Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Updates! - Is the Presidential Dollars First Day of Issue program Dying?

Comments

• DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    Concern? I had several hundred BU slabs that I had forgotten about recently surface in their vaults after nearly 1 year! These were added to a few thousand that say BU without position A or B as they did in the begining. What a severe waste of money to have them change the slabs around. Who wants them?
  • SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭
    Lee,
    A dealer can submit 100 coins before or on the release date and get "FDI" designation.
    Or any amount they care to submit before the date or unopened cases thereafter.

The dealer could say grade 100, 200 or whatever of a certain case and send me back the leftovers or leave them there for future grading, since PCGS opened the case they are still FDI qualified.
    This would be arranged with PCGS and the dealer.

If the coins sell faster they will grade more as needed.

This presidential dollar set is still young and many more years to go.
  • eCoinquesteCoinquest Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭
    Why does PCGS act as a vault for some dealers and allow them to store coins. Is it free of charge?

I would love to be able to do this. How do you go about it???
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why does PCGS act as a vault for some dealers and allow them to store coins. Is it free of charge?

I would love to be able to do this. How do you go about it??? >>

Anybody?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
    I'll Bite.

If a dealer wants to leave inventory down there to have coins graded at will, PCGS will be happy to hold their coins for that.
    I would believe that most are dealers that grade a lot of coins, so it makes sense to take care of the active dealers in this manner.

I know most spend more on grading bills in a month than they have in unopened or partial Presidential Dollar Boxes.

Lee, I still don't really understand what you are getting at?
    Are you mad dealers can leave coins at PCGS to grade on a as needed basis?

• garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    << Is the Presidential Dollars First Day of Issue program Dead? >>

One can only hope

<< <i>Lee, I still don't really understand what you are getting at?
    Are you mad dealers can leave coins at PCGS to grade on a as needed basis? >>

Not at all Jim! As a matter of fact, should I ever decide to get into the "blind" submission game, I may have a dealer submit a $1,000 box and then dole them out 100 or 200 at a time. Its actually a great idea and I don't know why I didn't think of it.

Oh wait, I know why - Because I liked pre-screening my coins before I submitted them because I was submitting for ME and not for the profit game!

What pisses me off is that I cannot continue in the program without being an "Authorized PCGS Dealer" after having committed thousands to the program already! The collectors club folks folks got their First Strike submission privileges back, why can't we get the FDI privileges back?

Is it the 100 coin minimum?

Well here's an idea -- Lower the friggin minimum! First Strike was lowered!

And truth be told, there is absolutely no difference between FDI and First Strike coins except for the labels!

None!

No numismatic value!

No nothing except for that label.

And those labels ONLY HAVE MEANING FOR THE REGISTRY and if submissions continue to drop, the registry will simply go away which is the entire purpose behind the original post.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
    FS and FDI are different... IMO

First Strike has the 30 day window, they can be screened in that 30 day window. Collectors and dealers can submit them

FDI coins for the most part are not screened, but submitted in cases. These can only be submitted by PCGS dealers.
    Some will get screened, most will not be. since at best most only get a day to a few days to be screened....IF you get them early. If you can't..then you need to be fast and submit the same day they are released and get them mailed to PCGS that day.

You can submit via a dealer a screened batch before the release date for the FDI labels.
    That way you can still participate and get those labels.
    You have dealers in your area that can do the submissions, I would assume.

Have you approached any to do the submissions?
  • 30 $1,000 dollar boxes is nothing and there is no liability for PCGS. The coins are secure and lets say wondercoin dosent pay his grading fee bill for a few months....wow look they have 30K of his coins right there he might say pay the bill with this. At ICG we had 50K+ just sitting left over from TV deals for months that the big submittors just left there. Its really not a big deal and wondercoin wouldnt lie about something so trivial.

Cameron Kiefer
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cameron - Hardly much to brag about (I agree) - hey Heritage, Dillan Gage, Spectrum, etc. - I have $30,000 in coins sitting at PCGS. Don't you companies wish you had $30,000 in coins sitting at PCGS. image

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

<< <i>30 $1,000 dollar boxes is nothing and there is no liability for PCGS. The coins are secure and lets say wondercoin dosent pay his grading fee bill for a few months....wow look they have 30K of his coins right there he might say pay the bill with this. At ICG we had 50K+ just sitting left over from TV deals for months that the big submittors just left there. Its really not a big deal and wondercoin wouldnt lie about something so trivial.

Cameron Kiefer >>

I am not implying that he is lying its just that I've never thought of submitting a $1,000 box. And come to think of it, the maximum amount on a bulk order is 500 coins which means that of the 1,000 in the box, 500 would have to be stored so it makes perfect sense.

However, given the relative cost involved with undergrade coins at $10 per coin minimum with current prices commanding $5.00 or less, I just do not see the logic in having that many in the vaults at one time as the probability of them being graded is pretty slight.

But then, this is the small time operator in me talking.

The name is LEE!
    "so it makes perfect sense."

Now we're talkin!!

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
    No.

I wont be happy until I can submit FDI Presidential Dollars without having to go through an "Authorized Dealer".

I still feel that the set is in a death spiral due to a lack of submissions and a rapidly developing lack of interest by collectors since getting anything thats grade worthy gets very expensive very quickly.

Sales of the MS67 Van Burens have been a bit off on eBay with some MS67 two coin sets going for well under $300 in open bidding whereas BIN offerings have been in the $400 to $450 range.

Undergrade coins are still selling for less than grading fee's as well. A dealer can only go so far in this before throwing in the hat and channeling money to more profitable ventures. Its simply a question of time.

The name is LEE!
    Lee,

I assumed you made a request for FDI submissions.

What was the response?

I was amazed that FS was reinstated. You never know.....
    I have not made a request.

The name is LEE!

<< <i>I have not made a request. >>

Lee,
    Since you have been the most vocal about the issue.
    Send PCGS an email and voice your concerns.

You never know what can happen....

They probably will not reduce the 100 coin "Bulk" requirement, but who knows...
    You could be correct and perhaps I'll give it a shot.

I think the "real" shot would be in making the minimum submission at 10 coins since most everybody can handle that. Heck, even throw a $5 surcharge per coin. This would enable "active" participation by everybody yet still give dealers a slight edge since their bulk costs would remain at $10 per coin total.

The grading is not any different for these than a regular presidential submission so I just don't understand the "special" considerations regarding submission.

As a side note, some 2008-D MS67 Van Burens have come onto the pop reports which is always a good sign since the Jackson coin is devoid of MS67's for the Denver production.

The name is LEE!
    Wowser's!

Either the 2008-D Andrew Jackson FDI coin populations have a problem or smebody just submitted a super lot or 100!

Position A MS66's jumped from 13 to 45!
    Position B MS66's jumped from 13 to 36!

I ownder how this will affect the prices?

The name is LEE!

<< <i>Wowser's!

Either the 2008-D Andrew Jackson FDI coin populations have a problem or smebody just submitted a super lot or 100!

Position A MS66's jumped from 13 to 45!
    Position B MS66's jumped from 13 to 36!

I ownder how this will affect the prices? >>

WOW!

Someone had a nice submision!
    Hopefully the new CC Bulk program will include these coins so that submissions can pick back up again.

The name is LEE!
    The new CC Bulk program does not apply toward Special Inserts which includes the First Day of Issue Presidential Dollars.

The name is LEE!
    Wow!

Submissions are definitely down for the FDI Presidential Dollars!

7 weeks after release yet only 549 John Tylers have been graded to date as FDI coins!

Prices are up I might add for the lower grades but then that could just be reflective of the smaller submission numbers (aka lower pops) and fewer coins that have been looked at.

You fellows that can submit these want to get on the ball and make some submissions? I'd like an MS66 but just cannot see paying over a $100 for it.

The name is LEE!
    Lee: Actually, submissions may not "down" necessarily. In fact, I believe I may have submitted more Tylers than any President in the past year or so. It is just that the SLABBED coins are down as I have found Tyler to be one of the most difficult Pres. $1 coins to slab in MS66 or better grade. I know others agree. Wondercoin
    So you're saying that these are not even grading MS65 or are you folks just going for the MS66's?

The name is LEE!
    An early pre-screen of 10,000 Tylers resulted in just a few dozen MS66's as I recall. I may grade some MS65's from here depending upon demand.

Wondercoin
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I have been reading this thread and feel the pain/angst of 19Lyds

not much worse than changing the rules half way throught the game to favor a few

but maybe the premise is correct - the FDI registry is closed for people who want to make their own unless they are a dealer

if Wondercoin has 30,000 presidential dollars at PCGS and is willing to pay $10/ to get in slab with minimum grade (50%+)

then they must be worth at least $150K in slabs, are they worth that now or does the plastice ad value?
    unless the plastic is bad and then they lose value
    Sinn1 - Best I know, I do not have a single Presidential Dollar at PCGS at this time. Whatever coins I did have there earlier this year have either now been holdered or returned to me to be cashed out at $1 each (as most were). I made a number of local bank managers very unhappy when I asked them to take my deposit in $1 coins and one bank even refused to even take my deposit one day!!

Wondercoin
    Is the Presidential Dollars First Day of Issue program Dead?
    No. Seems pretty much alive to me.

<< <i>I have been reading this thread and feel the pain/angst of 19Lyds

not much worse than changing the rules half way throught the game to favor a few

but maybe the premise is correct - the FDI registry is closed for people who want to make their own unless they are a dealer

if Wondercoin has 30,000 presidential dollars at PCGS and is willing to pay $10/ to get in slab with minimum grade (50%+)

then they must be worth at least $150K in slabs, are they worth that now or does the plastice ad value?
    unless the plastic is bad and then they lose value >>

Thanks Sinin1. The whole comparison I was trying to make involved the popularity of the program when it was open to the "public" whereas now, since its PCGS Authorized Dealers Only, the submissions are just way down. In fact, too little to even draw some grading conclusions over whats really available and what the true collectible value of the coins are. Once the sets die, lots of folks, me included, will be stuck with some fairly expensive entry tickets that may or more than likely not, sustain their values.

Compare this program with that of the First Strike™ SAE's. As of today, 252,568 2009 SAE's have been graded for First Strike™ compared to a paultry 2,836 Presidential FDI Dollars. Both programs have been available all year, both programs simply represent "special inserts" and yet the 2009 SAE gradings f-a-a-r outweigh the FDI's. Why?

Because folks don't have to submit SAE's a 100 at a time through the bulk deparment AND anybody can submit them. If the program is in the dumps, its solely because of the restraints put on it by PCGS. It is, after all, expensive.

PCGS is effectively killing the FDI Presidential Dollar collector and the program unless the collector is willing to pay ungodly amounts for common everyday coins just to stay active with the series. An MS66 coin for $125-$180 is just a reflection of low submissions and merely represents what someone is willing to pay for a high rated registry set.

If PCGS were to allow us commoners to submit our best 10 or 20 on the day these are released, I'd be willing to bet that populations and grading cross sections would triple on the next and subsequent coins release. The program was hugely popular at its onset and submissions reflected that. This is after all, simply a slab label, nothing more and nothing less but the prices some of these are trading for says otherwise.

On the bright side, opening this up would also increase some revenue's for a certain TPG from 2,836 to maybe 10,000 again?

Oh yeah, I forgot to add that no new Tyler grades have been processed since my last report.

The name is LEE!
    Lee: With all due respect, the shrinking pops in the Pres $1 series really has less to do with who is submitting coins vs. the natural evolution of a new series. For example, if you look at state quarters, there were close to 1,800 Delaware MS66 and better coins graded (for one mintmark) and by the time Nebraska rolled around there were about 375 in MS66 and higher. There could be 1,800 Nebraska MS66 graded in a month if anyone wanted the coins - but, there is no market for more than 375 right now. Likewise, the demand for Harrison or Tyler Pres $1's is simply not the same as Washington, Adams or Jefferson (our "founding fathers"). But I will tell you this - the Lincoln Pres. Dollar next year should be a very exciting coin - watch how many coins are graded by PCGS. I will go on the limb and predict multiples of Harrison or Tyler even if the PCGS rules are exactly the same as today.

Wondercoin
    I'll believe it when I see it.

The name is LEE!
    Lee, I understand your issue with the FDI labels.
    It is what it is...

I will side with Mitch on the Lincoln dollars. Those will be very popular coins and with higher demand....more will get graded.
    If the collector base increases, then all of the past presidents will get an increase in grading as well.

With undergrades lucky to bring grading fees or less. Most don't want to grade and stock too many.
    JMHO

<< <i>Lee, I understand your issue with the FDI labels.
    It is what it is...

I will side with Mitch on the Lincoln dollars. Those will be very popular coins and with higher demand....more will get graded.
    If the collector base increases, then all of the past presidents will get an increase in grading as well.

With undergrades lucky to bring grading fees or less. Most don't want to grade and stock too many.
    JMHO

image >>

My point exactly Jim!

Having these under the BULK program promotes death to the series. I see absolutely no reason why the best 5 or 10 cannot be submitted for FDI by everyday collectors under the regular submission program!

Hell, I never submit a 100 blind (and never have for that matter) which is whats occuring with these, so its no wonder dealers have limited their submissions!

The name is LEE!
    Lee: You would be best to remember what Samuel Clemens had to say about his own reported death!!

Wondercoin image

<< <i>Hell, I never submit a 100 blind (and never have for that matter) which is whats occuring with these, so its no wonder dealers have limited their submissions! >>

PCGS likes BULK submissions. They really count on the Bulk program to feed the PCGS engine so to speak.
    The mint quality is pretty bad lately and that has hurt the grading results as well.
    And buyers keep thinking the higher grades are coming anytime.
    Not with these latest Presidential Dollars....Look at the Satin Finish Junk we all got...
    As far as going back to special labels for non bulk....Who knows but it would probably cost the added $ 10 - 15 per label IF they ever allowed it.

<< <i>Lee: You would be best to remember what Samuel Clemens had to say about his own reported death!!

Wondercoin image >>

Which was what?

The name is LEE!

<< <i>

<< <i>Hell, I never submit a 100 blind (and never have for that matter) which is whats occuring with these, so its no wonder dealers have limited their submissions! >>

PCGS likes BULK submissions. They really count on the Bulk program to feed the PCGS engine so to speak.
    The mint quality is pretty bad lately and that has hurt the grading results as well.
    And buyers keep thinking the higher grades are coming anytime.
    Not with these latest Presidential Dollars....Look at the Satin Finish Junk we all got...
    As far as going back to special labels for non bulk....Who knows but it would probably cost the added $ 10 - 15 per label IF they ever allowed it. >>

Ya just had to play that Satin Finish Card eh Jim?

The 2009 Satin Finish Presidential Dollars is the worst crap I've ever seen coming out of the US Mint! Hell, some of those coins even made the Eunice Kennedy Shriver coin look good! image

The name is LEE!
    Mark Twain - "The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated"

Wondercoin

<< <i>Mark Twain - "The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated"

Wondercoin >>

True, but he did die and probably sooner than he would have liked which may be the case with this series. image

The name is LEE!
  • mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    I think MAS summed everything up nicely.

Wondercoin
  • mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭

The new Zachary Taylor Presidential Dollar is out so we look back at the submission results for the James K. Polk and John Tyler coins:

James K. Polk had 2,691 total FDI coins graded which includes the WEL coins since 10/25/2009

John Tyler had 1,430 total FDI coins graded which includes the WEL coins since 10/25/2009 image

These figures do not represent the total submissions, only those that received the minimum expected grade.

I don't expect that allowing PCGS Club Members to submit these would have changed these figures all that much but you just never know.

As a comparison, submissions for non-FDI coins are way low as well.

James K. Polk = 16 Total submitted and graded.

John Tyler = 51 Total submitted and graded.

Soooooooooo. Perhaps the thread should be retitled to "Is the Presidential Dollars program Dead?" since there just does not seem to be any interest at ALL!

The name is LEE!
    Polk submissions were up about 100% over last President. Nothing wrong with that?

Wondercoin

<< <i>Polk submissions were up about 100% over last President. Nothing wrong with that?

Wondercoin >>

This all just means that more can be graded in the future as more get involved with the series.
    Wow!

ZERO Zachary Taylor P's have been graded!

The name is LEE!
    Wow!

A screened batch of around 6,000 P's yielded nearly 200 superb submitable coins. They were sent in for grading via Express Mail and they arrived here in S. CA. in nothing more than an (torn) empty Express Mail envelope. A masive amount of TIME wasted. I assured Justin that his competitors had nothing to do with this. image

Wondercoin

<< <i>Wow!

A screened batch of around 6,000 P's yielded nearly 200 superb submitable coins. They were sent in for grading via Express Mail and they arrived here in S. CA. in nothing more than an (torn) empty Express Mail envelope. A masive amount of TIME wasted. I assured Justin that his competitors had nothing to do with this. image

Wondercoin >>

OMG! What a sick feeling.............

The name is LEE!
    Lee..

What are you showing on the D pops thus far? How many slabbed and what is top grade (and pop)?

Wondercoin