Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Walking Liberty Half... Guess the Grade?

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU58...
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know the specifics of the 33S, but I'd also say AU 58. Miss Liberty's lt. breast has wear, and so does the middle of the eagle's breast.
    I't's a bit odd, because I don't see luster breaks per se, but there should not be wear in these areas. The lack of full head detail on weakly struck Walkers doesn't seem to be a deal-breaker for the TPGs.

The coin looks peculiar, because one rarely sees an unc. w/o contact marks on the skirt lines. The surfaces look very clean, excepting the long light scratch from the rim just below the L in Liberty, which to me, is not a dealbreaker.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options

<< <i>I don't know the specifics of the 33S, but I'd also say AU 58. Miss Liberty's lt. breast has wear, and so does the middle of the eagle's breast.
    I't's a bit odd, because I don't see luster breaks per se, but there should not be wear in these areas. The lack of full head detail on weakly struck Walkers doesn't seem to be a deal-breaker for the TPGs.

The coin looks peculiar, because one rarely sees an unc. w/o contact marks on the skirt lines. The surfaces look very clean, excepting the long light scratch from the rim just below the L in Liberty, which to me, is not a dealbreaker. >>

It's not a scratch on obverse between the "L" and the Sun, as it's a micro hairline that the camera picked up... you can't see it with the naked eye and need to dig hard with a loupe to get it to pop out and show itself.
  • Options
    Broadstruck, thanks for that. This is yet another example why you need to see the coin. In hand, you can distinguish a scratch from a micro hairline. Re the latter, I agree, in that if you don't tilt the coin just so, it isn't visible to the naked eye. I have an Unc. Capped Bust Quarter that is like this.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin and I also feel its an AU 58.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS60.... maybe a tad better in hand... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    veryfineveryfine Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭

<< <i>MS60.... maybe a tad better in hand... Cheers, RickO >>

Really??? Why?
  • Options
    ms64
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• Options
    Looking good! image
  • Options
    Broadstruck---- While I normally both enjoy and like the vast majority of the Walkers that you post, this 33S seems too shiny for my tastes. Without question, I agree with the AU58 grading. But, I am a toner person by nature and I am suspicious of what hairlines "might" be present above the motto? These pictures make the coin look messed with a little to me. Like maybe it was conserved at NCS. Or maybe it's just the lighting of the pics?? Bob [supertooth]
    Bob
  • Options
    The 1933-s is in a AU58... this coin was not kept. It is a super slider with major eye appeal and a great strike. The coin had a major problem it looked like a scratch in the dealers images... but when inspected with a loupe had a razor sharp almost carpet knife type cut on the reverse on the eagles leg. By no means a staple scratch and once discovered this just wasn't something I could live with. The image below is mild as with a loupe you could see how sharp the gouge was and heck you could see right down to the bone! image

• Options

<< <i>Broadstruck---- While I normally both enjoy and like the vast majority of the Walkers that you post, this 33S seems too shiny for my tastes. Without question, I agree with the AU58 grading. But, I am a toner person by nature and I am suspicious of what hairlines "might" be present above the motto? These pictures make the coin look messed with a little to me. Like maybe it was conserved at NCS. Or maybe it's just the lighting of the pics?? Bob [supertooth] >>

supertooth, may just be the images as the coin was impressive in hand to the naked eye... until! image
  • Options
    Broadstruck-----I'll certainly take your word on the coin. But it seems that I become an ever worse skeptic about pictures----the more that I look at any of them. Maybe it is just the sign of the times? One seems to have to be careful about every single photo---as if your collecting career depends on the outcome of your judgements. Thank goodness for return priviledges.

As for your coin, I can see it now. But, who in the heck would notice that unless you were looking for it?? Yet, if I was a PCGS grader, I'd probably let it go by too. Although I wouldn't want the piece in my collection unless the price was right. Then I would keep it only as a trading chip or because I didn't want my money elsewhere. Naturally, it always helps if you have others that grade higher or that you like better. If you didn't have a 33S and needed it, you might tend to be most forgiving----until you found a better example.

I enjoyed "stman's" post the other day. My friends finally got me to try and post some pictures. I was glad that my wife was able to get the job done. Maybe now I will participate a little more on this side of the street. Bob [supertooth]

Bob
  • Options

<< <i>Broadstruck-----I'll certainly take your word on the coin. But it seems that I become an ever worse skeptic about pictures----the more that I look at any of them. Maybe it is just the sign of the times? One seems to have to be careful about every single photo---as if your collecting career depends on the outcome of your judgements. Thank goodness for return priviledges.

As for your coin, I can see it now. But, who in the heck would notice that unless you were looking for it?? Yet, if I was a PCGS grader, I'd probably let it go by too. Although I wouldn't want the piece in my collection unless the price was right. Then I would keep it only as a trading chip or because I didn't want my money elsewhere. Naturally, it always helps if you have others that grade higher or that you like better. If you didn't have a 33S and needed it, you might tend to be most forgiving----until you found a better example.

I enjoyed "stman's" post the other day. My friends finally got me to try and post some pictures. I was glad that my wife was able to get the job done. Maybe now I will participate a little more on this side of the street. Bob [supertooth] >>

I'll bet it was an oversight also, as yes unless your looking for it this wouldn't surface. Yet when buying a coin it's always best to scan the entire obverse and reverse including the rims. Years ago I might have been more forgiving, but if it's bothersome right from the get go it's best not to have good money stuck in a bad filler. As far as digital photography... there are a lot of smoke and mirror tricks and with just a slight angle on the shot you'd never see this mar.
  • Options
    Great comments. Here's a summary why I never buy a coin from an image:

1) Color can be inaccurate
    2) Images can not show / hide long, thin scratches on silver business strike coins
    3) Images can not show / hide hairlines on proof coins
    4) Images can not show / hide carbon flecks
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    au58.3 and no bean for you
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file