Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Now that the country is going through a depression...

ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
What will it do to the coin market?

Comments

• Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    Very little.
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We are NOT in a depression - yet. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depression? Since when?

I would use the "R" word. Not the "D" word.

Business as usual, as far as I'm concerned.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    phehpheh Posts: 1,588
  • Options
    I do not feel depressed. Did I miss something.

Keeping it coin related, I just asked my coins how they feel. They said they are not depressed either.
  • Options
    I used to buy into every doom-and-gloom scenario that came down the pike. Swallowed urban legends hook, line, and sinker, too, before I knew better.

Then... the millennium.

Y2K came and went, without so much as a flicker. So much for THAT particular doom-and-gloom scenario.

My New Year's resolution in the year 2000 still stands as my New Millennium resolution.

I swore then that I would never listen to the doom-and-gloomers again, or waste time worrying about big-picture stuff that is beyond my control.

So far so good. Eight years have gone by, and despite 9/11 and war and Katrina and economic woes including my recent layoff, I must say, life is pretty good, from where I sit. Economically a tad tighter than things were a few years ago, but so what. The economy is only one part of the puzzle, not the whole picture.

Life goes on, through good times and bad, and worrying about things one is powerless to change never really helped anybody anyway.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bread lines are forming at LEGEND
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Bread lines are forming at LEGEND >>

I could say something really mean but I won't. image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Well, I know what our forum operators have done to compensate...google ads image I don't mind helping by clicking on a few every day
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin market has no top. It exists in an economic vacuum. image
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    "So far so good. Eight years have gone by, and despite 9/11 and war and Katrina and economic woes including my recent layoff, I must say, life is pretty good, from where I sit. " LM sorry to hear about your layoff, your lucky that your still solid. Sadly a growing percentage of the populace cannot say the same. The impotent poiticians and wall street talking heads are not helping things thats for sure.
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just wait til Dec. 21 2012...

talk about yer doom & gloom...

lol...
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options

<< <i>What will it do to the coin market? >>

we`ll discuss this "D" word while standing in the soup line.
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I am just glad I still have a job. This downturn has affected my coin buying but only temporary.

I know several other collectors who are in better situations financially i.e. not affected by whats going on in the market and are buying more than ever now.
  • Options
    Believe it or not, the economy has not even fallen into a recession.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I feel bad for all Americans, even the coin dealers who may see business slowing. I think all businesses will be impacted, even the tax field which people claim is recession-proof, but I disagree.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I used to buy into every doom-and-gloom scenario that came down the pike. Swallowed urban legends hook, line, and sinker, too, before I knew better.

Then... the millennium.

Y2K came and went, without so much as a flicker. So much for THAT particular doom-and-gloom scenario.

My New Year's resolution in the year 2000 still stands as my New Millennium resolution.

I swore then that I would never listen to the doom-and-gloomers again, or waste time worrying about big-picture stuff that is beyond my control.

So far so good. Eight years have gone by, and despite 9/11 and war and Katrina and economic woes including my recent layoff, I must say, life is pretty good, from where I sit. Economically a tad tighter than things were a few years ago, but so what. The economy is only one part of the puzzle, not the whole picture.

Life goes on, through good times and bad, and worrying about things one is powerless to change never really helped anybody anyway. >>

These are some good points made. When things go bad people tend to happily jump on the doomsday bandwagon as if "I told you so" was more important than making a positive contribution to improve things.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just put the biggest friggin' tuna steaks on the grill that I have ever seen. If this is a depression, at least I will be eating well. image
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just put the biggest friggin' tuna steaks on the grill that I have ever seen. If this is a depression, at least I will be eating well. image >>

OK, this made me laugh out loud, particularly on this stressful day (between the markets and my crazy inlaws, I needed some humor). image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    I just put the biggest friggin' tuna steaks on the grill that I have ever seen. If this is a depression, at least I will be eating well.

imagethats some good eating............life is good image
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I predict a great increase in the number of Hunting Licenses sold.

Deer are running rampant....they have been breeding unchecked since, well, 1934.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just put the biggest friggin' tuna steaks on the grill that I have ever seen. If this is a depression, at least I will be eating well. image >>

• Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I predict a great increase in the number of Hunting Licenses sold.

Deer are running rampant....they have been breeding unchecked since, well, 1934. >>

My family lives in MO and reads the conservationist. there are now more deer in MO than people. Theyhave expanded the hunting season and limits but people really don't seem to care to eat them. When I was a kid we enjoyed eating them and so did most people I knew. We've become soft and spoiled. Probably associated with the trasition of power from the mail to the female that happened in the last 20 years of the 20th century. Now, with the woman firmly in control of most households, most budgets, and targeted my 90% of the advertising on TV and elsewhere, I guess we eat what she wants. Just an observation.

RYK, they have Tuna steak in MO now? Hope you grilled it about 2 min/side. --Jerry
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    I am here on this site at the moment but I have to say that the current economic and political circumstances have made coin collecting to seem at best a marginal concern. If things calm down a bit I can spare some of my sparce brain capacity for thinking about coins again but not really now.
  • Options
    According to my inlaws the Great Depression started with them the same day I married their daughter.
  • Options
    On September 21, 2001, the New Victorian Age began, a century after the old Victorian era ended.

Everybody was upset about the events that had happened ten days previously, with good reason.

But on 9/21/01, when this child, Victoria Hope, came into the world, my personal outlook changed considerably.

Here's hoping that the New Victorian Age lasts at least as long as the old one did, and that it will be a time of enlightenment great advances for mankind, well beyond anything those earlier Victorians knew.

It'll take more than some wild doom and gloom scenarios to darken my outlook, as long as this child lives and grows. She'll never know luxury like the queen of the same name did, but that's fine.

She, and those of her generation, have much to look forward to, and much to offer the future.

In the future, sure, there will be some dark days. And many bright, sunny days beyond our wildest imagining, too.

• Options
    coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    Do you know the difference between a recession and a depression?

In a recession your neighbor is out of work.

In a depression you are out of work!
  • Options
    I, for one, am "happy" with this "depression." During the recent past, there has been nothing but a rush to the top. Now, people are more rational, considering their purchases carefully instead of making blind decisions.

The same holds true for the coin market, or any market which contains potential investors. The investors will slowly fade away for the time being, giving rise to those who truly enjoy the coin hobby. I will probably be able to buy higher grade coins because of this "depression."
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I predict a great increase in the number of Hunting Licenses sold.

Deer are running rampant....they have been breeding unchecked since, well, 1934. >>

My family lives in MO and reads the conservationist. there are now more deer in MO than people. Theyhave expanded the hunting season and limits but people really don't seem to care to eat them. When I was a kid we enjoyed eating them and so did most people I knew. We've become soft and spoiled. Probably associated with the trasition of power from the mail to the female that happened in the last 20 years of the 20th century. Now, with the woman firmly in control of most households, most budgets, and targeted my 90% of the advertising on TV and elsewhere, I guess we eat what she wants. Just an observation.

RYK, they have Tuna steak in MO now? Hope you grilled it about 2 min/side. --Jerry >>

You know, I overcooked it just a little bit. Not red enough in the center for me. I will try again tomorrow night. image
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Depression what Depression? image

Always rememer. denile is some big river dat runs true egypts.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ah, yes, good to know so many feel above what so many others are being affected by, events which are circling the globe as we speak, it's shows such an unplausible lack of any sense of humility. i sense no doom and gloom, but it's hard not to acknowledge the facts before us: these are very dire times with a difficult struggle ahead no matter what the outcome is in Washington. ironically, it was back in February when the naysayers suggested that we were all "wet" about recession talk, that we'd have a clearer picture come September!!!!

anyone here who isn't at least paying attention to the happenings which change daily may want to start. anyone who considers they are above things may want to reconsider. despite any individual "insulatiuon" against personal tragedy we should all be at least cognizant of the fact that we're in this thing together and someone we know and love is being affected negatively. i for one don't think it's the best time for "business as usual" with regard to how i pursue the hobby. it might be more prudent to sit on the sidelines for awhile.
  • Options
    sound words of advice and reflection Keets.
  • Options

<< <i>On September 21, 2001, the New Victorian Age began, a century after the old Victorian era ended.

Everybody was upset about the events that had happened ten days previously, with good reason.

But on 9/21/01, when this child, Victoria Hope, came into the world, my personal outlook changed considerably.

Here's hoping that the New Victorian Age lasts at least as long as the old one did, and that it will be a time of enlightenment great advances for mankind, well beyond anything those earlier Victorians knew.

It'll take more than some wild doom and gloom scenarios to darken my outlook, as long as this child lives and grows. She'll never know luxury like the queen of the same name did, but that's fine.

She, and those of her generation, have much to look forward to, and much to offer the future.

In the future, sure, there will be some dark days. And many bright, sunny days beyond our wildest imagining, too.

image >>

You could not have said these words anymore beautifully...Thanks for inspiring us to have a more positive outlookimage
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...we need comic relief during tumultuous times.
  • Options

<< <i>Depression? Since when?

I would use the "R" word. Not the "D" word.

Business as usual, as far as I'm concerned. >>

Even better, lets use the "C" word......CORRECTION!
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

<< <i>On September 21, 2001, the New Victorian Age began, a century after the old Victorian era ended.

image >>

Victoria is beautiful. I can't figure out how that can be and still look like her old man. Family will get us through any bad times that we might face and you said it well.
    Paul
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I drive around here and see restaurant parking lots full and lines out the door and stores full of people spending money, its hard to believe that things are as bad as some say.
  • Options
    sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 813 ✭✭✭
    Pt is really pushing the envelope at 977. Wonder if this is somehow related to this rigmarole?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Just wait til Dec. 21 2012..."

That is another bit of empty garbage.... I cannot believe people accept this hype... it will be even less momentous than Y2K... Tripe, pure tripe... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You know, I overcooked it just a little bit. Not red enough in the center for me. I will try again tomorrow night. image >>

My advise: Get some blue fin and omit the cooking altogether! (Granted, lightly seared ahi ain't bad, either. It was my bridge to the pleasures of sushi. For years the thought of consuming raw fish was simply disgusting to me.)

Also, Just missed a deer Sunday night while driving what my wife considers to be my "mid life crisis" car. I hope that the licenses are given out freely. I see so many deer strewn along the roadside of late.

Last, I certainly hope we are able to keep our humour and our wits about us through these tumultuous times!

• Options
    So how was the soup lines for everyone today? image
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    ARE YOU SMOKING CRACK OR DOING ACID? quit drinking the liberal kool aid
  • Options
    I think we have to go through several quarters of negative growth to be in a recession....I dont think we are at that point yet
  • Options

<< <i>So how was the soup lines for everyone today? image >>

Great! They served swordfish last night. image
  • Options
    I will make this coin related....... Buy all the gold coins you can NOW! I firmly believe that a depression is inevitable. Tonight when the Senate votes against the 700 billion scam, it will be really cool to watch for a 1000 point drop in the dow. Even though we are not in a depression now, it is coming. By the way, I noticed that gold coins at APMEX sold like hot cakes.
    GUINZO1975
  • Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I will make this coin related....... Buy all the gold coins you can NOW! I firmly believe that a depression is inevitable. Tonight when the Senate votes against the 700 billion scam, it will be really cool to watch for a 1000 point drop in the dow. Even though we are not in a depression now, it is coming. By the way, I noticed that gold coins at APMEX sold like hot cakes. >>

The credit crisis sure seems real, but depression doomsayers are premature at the least. While we have not yet entered even a recession as it is technically defined, it seems that a psycological recession is in play and that may yield a self-fulfilling prophesy. The bill will pass the Senate easily as well as the House, with bipartisan support.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first job was in a little antique shop.

One of the things I first noticed for sale were little carved wooden hatchets. Cute little things, curved handles, and nice red painted wooden blades. There were a lot of them. In fact, in the back room, there were boxes of them.

Story went that they were carved by a man who was once a multimillionaire, back in the late 20's. Then....he lost everything. All his money, his business, his wife.

Finally, he lost his mind.

He gouged one of his eyes out with a kitchen knife.

For the remainder of his life, many years, all he done was sit there and carve little hatchets.

THATS what a depression does.

We're not there yet, by any means.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the depression rest of the United States, my state has been in one for about 8-10 years now.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file