Home Precious Metals
Options

WILL SILVER PRICES GO UP?

I was just wondering if anybody thinks the silver market will shoot up? I thought it would soar once the bailout was rejected. I guess we better belt up and take that E Ticket roller coaster ride with this economy.

Thanks ,
Eddye Mack
GO STEELERS ( I sure hope that they play better than last week)image

Comments

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shoot up? Depends on how you define this. It will go up from here, might dip down a bit, but IMO, it's going up from here. Not sure how fast, but I think it might take its time.

• Options
    Silver is even less protected from recession-induced sales, which is why silver’s price is more volatile than gold’s.

It has no central banks buying it during recessions. Meanwhile, demand slows because the economy is slowing.

Silver is an industrial metal and to a lesser extent an ornamental metal. Demand for most metals falls when the
    economy goes into recession.

PM's, more Gold than Silver, are hedges against inflation, not recession. If the U.S falls into a recession your
    Silver should continue to drop... PM's are sold during recessions to gain cash... They are bought during inflation
    to hold the value of your dollar...

The price of oil should tell you where you silver is headed....

Edited to add: As a small hoarder of mainly silver. I hope I am WRONG....image
  • Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Silver is even less protected from recession-induced sales, which is why silver’s price is more volatile than gold’s.

It has no central banks buying it during recessions. Meanwhile, demand slows because the economy is slowing. >>

If this isn't a recession, I'd sure hate to see one!
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    cinman your not a small hoarder of silver, your a big hoarder. Maybe you are causing this scarcity of silver imageimage
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    What I am wondering is why it has remained pretty much the same for over a week now ?

Where in the world can you buy silver for $13.17 an ounce? I understand that dealers tack on a premium, but I have never seen the price of silver stay steady around $13 when its pretty much impossible to find silver anywhere less then $16-$17 an ounce?
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    silvereagle, same question I have too!

maybe about 1 month ago when silver was in the 12-13 dollar spot, there was plenty to be found. The B&M stores had plenty and enough for everyone to choose through and pick out which round they wanted.

Now this last week and this week, things have been weird. Spot price 13 and no silver to be even found. Noone coming in to sell but plenty of buyers. Its weird.

The B&M stores in my area were tacking on +75 cents over spot for each round, bar, etc. Well now, they are doing +4-5 DOLLARS over spot! Even then, the silver is selling! crazy!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    Just wait until the Great Depression... All the holders of Gold are going to wonder why the price has tanked.

They are going to scream "during the last depression gold rose". Then some genius will remind them that
    during the Great Depression we were in the Gold Monetary Standard and by law, the Goverment bought gold.

There is no reason to buy now. Unless or course we go back to the Gold Standard. Silver will not be bought,
    as it has no monetary value. In regards to paper anyway...

I'll still buy it because it is PURDY!!!!

• Options

<< <i>What I am wondering is why it has remained pretty much the same for over a week now ?

Where in the world can you buy silver for $13.17 an ounce? I understand that dealers tack on a premium, but I have never seen the price of silver stay steady around $13 when its pretty much impossible to find silver anywhere less then $16-$17 an ounce? >>

Because they bought at the high end.. For some anyway... The other reason is pure economics... Ask the oil companies about that.

Why would you sell silver at slightly above spot. When you can get 3 to 6 dollars over.. Same reason we are paying slightly
    less for gas than a few months ago. Yet oil is 50 dollars less per barrel...

They will sell for what the market can stand. When investors realize that to lower the premium, all they have to do is stop
    going to the B@M and purchasing it. The premiums will drop as well.

• Options

<< <i>cinman your not a small hoarder of silver, your a big hoarder. Maybe you are causing this scarcity of silver imageimage >>

Easy now young fella..... I have seen your post as well. And your qiuckness on the BST..image

One thing is for sure... One of us will be holding our eggs in the basket when the silver market tanks...image

I just hope I am young enough to ride it out....

• Options
    RunnersDadRunnersDad Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭
    Cinman is right...most B&M's are holding onto their supplies because they paid significantly more than what the going rate is for silver now. The same can be said for most Ebay sellers and BST'ers as well. Everyone bought under the premise that silver would jump over 20 and stay there. Unfortunately that isn't how things have worked out and silver has taken a plunge.
    I envision Silver bottoming somewhere around 9.50 an ounce. That is just my opinion of course but I feel that it is a serious possibility.
    Mike

Visit my son's caringbridge page @ Runner's Caringbridge Page

"To Give Anything Less than Your Best, Is to Sacrifice the Gift" - Steve Prefontaine
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just wait until the Great Depression... All the holders of Gold are going to wonder why the price has tanked.

During the last depression the government wasn't creating hundreds of billions of dollars a week for assorted bailouts.

When this money hits Main Street, I expect gold (and gold coins) to do very well.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    there will be no Depression

Congress will pass a modified version of the Bailout Bill

along with hyper inflating the money supply

the Dollar will fall again, PM's will recover for a second go at big numbers
  • Options
    Needs to fill the gap to go higher:

Fill Baby Fill!
  • Options
    Silver's up over 20% since cohodk indicated the price was attractive. Not sure what constitutes a "soar," but I'll take 23% any week.
  • Options
    ajbaumanajbauman Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭
    I don't understand how the silver price cannot rise over the next several years...

1. Inflation caused by the Federal government, even if the bailout doesn't pass the government has already indebted the tax payer for the next 15 years at least
    2. In UK, and Europe, I have read they they are conteplating a rate decrease, if they do it over there expect the Fed to follow suite
    3. Current spot price is less than the REAL price to manufacture and distribute... if the price stays this low manufacturs will start closing their doors and supply will tighten
    4. Yes, Silver is an industrial metal, but it is also a store of value similar to gold (especially once people understand that 90% of the silver ever mined has been used already and that Silver is more rare than gold)
    5. The Gold to silver ratio is at low right now, indiciating silver's room to rise at CURRENT gold prices
    6. For years there has been evidence that a few banks were holding concetrated silver shorts and minipulating the price (50% price drop anyone??)... recently a different arm agreed to do some investigating on CFTC... Linky

I am really interested in reading/hearing about good evidence for a bear case in Silver.

Also, couldn't we take advantage of the desparity between the spot price and the actual purchase price of silver? I'm not really that familiar with the workings of the commodities/futures market, but couldn't someone just purchase a contract at the current spot price and instead of closing their position, accept delivery of the product??
    Buying £2 Britannias
  • Options
    ajbaumanajbauman Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭
    One more link for reading... Link
    Buying £2 Britannias