Home Sports Talk
Options

Who are the 5 greatest football players of the last 60 years?

In y'alls opinions, who are the 5 greatest football players of the last 60 years? I'm looking to add them to my signed HOF rookie card collection. I've already got a Joe Montana PSA/DNA signed rookie. As a Notre Dame guy, I consider him pure greatness. I also just bought a Jim Brown rookie that I'll be getting signed November 1.

Who would you say are the 5 greatest football players of the last 60 years?

Mike
Buying US Presidential autographs

Comments

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd have to think Chuck Bednarik (started on both offense and defense) and Jerry Rice would be on the list.

Steve
  • Options
    Jim Brown, Johnny U, have to be on the list.

Peace
    Trying to complete 1970 psa set.
    45% complete.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I've got Jim Brown as the greatest, but when thinking about the greatest strictly on D, it starts and stops with Butkus.
  • Options
    Tommie Frazier- Nebraska.

Was the MVP of three straight National Championship games.

Was never done before, and will never be done again.
  • Options
    Jim Brown
    Jerry Rice
    Joe Montana
    Lawrence Taylor
    Walter Payton
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    J Unitas
    J Brown
    W Payton
    J Montana
    E Smith
    B Sanders
    T Brady
    P Manning

Trust me, you'll want all of them, but you know what, this is a really hard question. You should have linemen and defensive players on there. And if that's the case, get:

Lineman: John Hannah
    Defense: Butkis, L Taylor, Joe Greene
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭
    5 best of the last 60 years is wayyy too tough.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it was be best to name 3-5 by position for offense and defense... I don't want to compare Joe Montana to Dick Butkus

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>5 best of the last 60 years is wayyy too tough. >>

Expand it to 25 players and that might be easier.
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    This is not a presidential debate, where we should be able to change the question to suit ourselves.

It is certainly tough to choose, there must be fine players cut back or eliminated, to save the question, but we must be able to make some tough choices if we want to be Prez., and help solve this economic crisis.

1. Jim Brown, 2. Joe Montana, 3. Deacon Jones, 4. Johnny Unitas, 5. Dick Butkus

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    Unitas, Butkus, Rice, Montana, Brown
  • Options
    If you were starting a defense would you guys really choose Butkus over LT ?

Taylor was able to drop back into coverage, he could rush the quarterback, play the run and the guy was a tackling machine.

His speed from sideline to sideline and ability to get to the qb is what seperates them imo .
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    I found the list of greatest football players according to The Sporting News online, their top 10 are:

1. Jim Brown
    2. Jerry Rice
    3. Joe Montana
    4. Lawrence Taylor
    5. Johnny Unitas
    6. Don Hutson
    7. Otto Graham
    8. Walter Payton
    9. Dick Butkus
    10. Bob Lilly

I don't know who they polled or if its just the editor's opinion, but it is arguably a pretty good list. Thanks to those who have replied with opinions so far. I went ahead and picked up a Jerry Rice signed rookie and swung a deal for LT as well, so once I get my Jim Brown back from the signing, I'll have the top 4. Unitas will be a little pricey though so I may cut it at 4.

Mike
  • Options
    50's - J. Brown
    60's - J. Unitas
    70's - W Payton
    80's - J. Montana
    90's - B Sanders
    Best Regards,

Rob

"Those guys weren't Fathers they were...Mothers."

• Options
    You can't go wrong with Rice, Montana, Brown, and Taylor. I have been after a Unitas for a long time. pricey.
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    sigh.

1. Emmit Smith
    2. Emit Smith
    3. Emmitt Smith
    4. Emitt Smoot
    5. Emmit Schmidt.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>sigh.

1. Emmit Smith
    2. Emit Smith
    3. Emmitt Smith
    4. Emitt Smoot
    5. Emmit Schmidt. >>

I like this guy image
  • Options
    Otto Graham made a top ten list besides mine...

• Options
    oxy8890oxy8890 Posts: 1,416
    Now if I could have the best guy in his prime (no matter how short of a time that was)

Bo Jackson

I have never seen a player dominate and control a game like he did before he was permanently injured
    Best Regards,

Rob

• Options
    Some of the Defensive players IMHO since offense seems to dominate these top player lists due to measurable impact:

50's - C. Bednarik, S Huff,
    60's - D. Butkis, D. Jones, M Olsen
    70's - J. Greene, M. Haynes, J. Lambert
    80's - L. Taylor, R. Lott, H. Long
    90's - R, White, D Thomas, D Sanders

Best Regards,

Rob

• Options
    Everytime this topic comes up I always ask how when a single player is able to transform the Detroit Lions from the worst franchise in sports to a playoff team, how is he not considered one of the very best non-quarterbacks ever?

Blocking and tackling might be the two most important skills, but a football team needs many players to be able to do those to be effective overall. They only need one guy to be able to throw the ball well. That disproportaion means quarterbacks will dominate these sort of lists

Taylor was the best defensive player. I consider him to be somewhat average among Pro-Bowl lineman when it comes to run support and coverage. But pass rush is the ultimate defensive weapon and LT was the ultimate pass rusher. The best defensive back in the world can only take out half the field on a pass attempt. A good pass rush takes out the entire field (and a couple good knockdowns can really slow down the passer)

Top five in order: Montana, Sanders, Unitas, Favre, Taylor

Brown and Rice so amazingly close, the above reasons knock them out of the top five. Brady has a decent chance. Always like to hear reasons why I might be wrong
    Tom
  • Options
    Farve has made wayyyyyyyy too many mistakes i.e forced passes: Int's to be on that list.

Heck, he isn't even a Top 5 Qb off all time let alone top 5 player of all time
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tom, I like your analogy. However being a Pats fan I will respectfully give Brady a nod over Montana and expect to get blown up for saying it but that is my choice. Montana had Jerry Rice, Roger Craig, Brent Jones and a phenominal head coach behind him along with great defense. Brady won his Super Bowls with much less talent around him.

• Options
    Billy Kilmer
    Clarke Hinkle
    Kenny Stabler
    Wahoo McDaniel
    Billy "White Shoes" Johnson
    Mike Curtis
    Chuck Cecil
    Doug Plank
    Jethro Pugh
  • Options

<< <i>Tom, I like your analogy. However being a Pats fan I will respectfully give Brady a nod over Montana and expect to get blown up for saying it but that is my choice. Montana had Jerry Rice, Roger Craig, Brent Jones and a phenominal head coach behind him along with great defense. Brady won his Super Bowls with much less talent around him. >>

Best Regards,

Rob

• Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭

<< <i>Tom, I like your analogy. However being a Pats fan I will respectfully give Brady a nod over Montana and expect to get blown up for saying it but that is my choice. Montana had Jerry Rice, Roger Craig, Brent Jones and a phenominal head coach behind him along with great defense. Brady won his Super Bowls with much less talent around him. >>

I would give Brady the nod over Montana, however it is hard to really say Brady had less talent. You can point to a couple players that were better, but the Pats were not short on Pro Bowlers, and if anyone watched them the last couple years, that line could give Brady time to read a newspaper before making the play.

But let's be honest, people have some strange crush on Montana, who should barely be in the top 10 in QBs. Steve Young pretty much erased Montana in all the record books except comebacks. You do understand to make a comeback in the 4th quarter, pretty much means you screwed up the first three quarters. Granted Young had most of the same players with him, but at 5-10 years older. Age does matter in this very physical game.

Young also did better then Montana in the 80s when he replaced an injured Montana and to really top the hat in his favor, Young ran for 4,239 yards and scored 43 rushing touchdowns. That's better then many RBs.

Favre doesn't deserve a spot on the top 10 QBs, unless that is a list of the most overrated or a list of the most interceptions. He does belong on a list of the best QB seasons...however in the last 10 years one could possibly say Favre hurt his team as much as he helped...and more at times.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options

Except last year. image
  • Options

<< <i>

image >>

Dont hurt yourself!
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Larry Allen is always a good choice.
  • Options

<< <i>

I would give Brady the nod over Montana, however it is hard to really say Brady had less talent. You can point to a couple players that were better, but the Pats were not short on Pro Bowlers, and if anyone watched them the last couple years, that line could give Brady time to read a newspaper before making the play.

But let's be honest, people have some strange crush on Montana, who should barely be in the top 10 in QBs. Steve Young pretty much erased Montana in all the record books except comebacks. You do understand to make a comeback in the 4th quarter, pretty much means you screwed up the first three quarters. Granted Young had most of the same players with him, but at 5-10 years older. Age does matter in this very physical game.

Young also did better then Montana in the 80s when he replaced an injured Montana and to really top the hat in his favor, Young ran for 4,239 yards and scored 43 rushing touchdowns. That's better then many RBs.

Favre doesn't deserve a spot on the top 10 QBs, unless that is a list of the most overrated or a list of the most interceptions. He does belong on a list of the best QB seasons...however in the last 10 years one could possibly say Favre hurt his team as much as he helped...and more at times. >>

Wow, I would like to thank Steve Young's wife for the above post. I had no idea Mrs Young had a previous relationship with Brett Farve that ended so poorly before marrying Steve.image
    Best Regards,

Rob

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Top 5 most way out there statements I’ve seen:

5. “I did not have sexual relations with the woman, Miss Lewinksy” - President Bill Clinton
    4. “Read my lips: no new taxes!” – George H. W. Bush, while candidate for US President
    3. While American Soldiers Are Showering in Saddam's Bathroom in a Nearby Presidential Palace: "We have killed most of the [coalition] infidels, and I think we will finish off the rest soon." – Baghdad Bob, Iraqi’s Minister of Information
    2. “We found the weapons of mass destruction.” – George W. Bush, May 29, 2003
    1. “But let's be honest, people have some strange crush on Montana, who should barely be in the top 10 in QBs.”- Meteorite Guy

All in fun,

Mike
  • Options

<< <i> “But let's be honest, people have some strange crush on Montana, who should barely be in the top 10 in QBs.”- Meteorite Guy
    >>

Wow! I agree that this is about the most ridiculous statement Ive heard in quite awhile.
    As well as the foolish statements comparing Steve Young with Montana.

Montana not a top 10 QB? Absolutely Incredible that ANY serious Football person could ever say that with a straight face.

Cool Joe is quite possibly Single THE GREATEST Playoff and Super Bowl QB of ALL-TIME! Whith out Question he is the GREATEST of the
    modern day (Past 30 years)

The only rational explanation I can think of for these kinds of incredibly retarted statements is your loyality to Steve Young(As per your tagline). Steve was a fine QB, But Joe Montana he was not.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I live in Nor Cal so am not allowed to say anything negative about "Super Joe." They would probably revoke my right to live up here and send me back to So Cal if I made any negative statements. It's sort of like a police state up here in terms of Joe Montana. No bad talk of him!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> “But let's be honest, people have some strange crush on Montana, who should barely be in the top 10 in QBs.”- Meteorite Guy
    >>

Wow! I agree that this is about the most ridiculous statement Ive heard in quite awhile.

Montana not a top 10 QB? Absolutely Incredible that ANY serious Football person could ever say that with a straight face.

Cool Joe is quite possibly Single THE GREATEST Playoff and Super Bowl QB of ALL-TIME! Whith out Question he is the GREATEST of the

The only rational explanation I can think of for these kinds of incredibly retarted statements is your loyality to Steve Young(As per your tagline). Steve was a fine QB, But Joe Montana he was not. >>

We can pretend I am the first to compare Steve Young and Joe Montana if you want. They actually look very comparable in my opinion, but Young had legs that Montana did not.

Steve Young 7-time Pro Bowl selection
    Joe Montana 7-time Pro Bowl selection
    Steve Young 7-time All-Pro selection
    Joe Montana 8-time All-Pro selection
    Steve Young 2-time NFL MVP
    Joe Montana 0-time NFL MVP
    Steve Young 2-time NEA NFL MVP
    Joe Montana 1-time NEA NFL MVP
    Steve Young 2-time Bert Bell Award
    Joe Montana 1-time Bert Bell Award
    Steve Young 2-time UPI NFC Player of the Year
    Joe Montana 1-time UPI NFC Player of the Year
    Steve Young 1-time NFL Offensive Player of the Year
    Joe Montana 1-time NFL Offensive Player of the Year
    Steve Young 1-time Super Bowl MVP
    Joe Montana 3-time Super Bowl MVP
    Both are HOF'ers

When Montana retired, his career passer rating was 92.3, the highest all time; he has since been surpassed by Steve Young (96.8), Peyton Manning (94.8), and Kurt Warner (94.3).

Steve Young 169 games played, 4149 attempts, 2667 completions, 232 passing TD's,
    Joe Montana 192 games played, 5391 attempts, 3409 completions, 273 passing TD's

On the ground

Steve Young 722 attempts, 4239 yards, 43 TDs
    Joe Montana 457 attempts, 1676 yards, 20 TDs

Steve Young 169 games, 275 TDS
    Joe Montana 192 games, 293 TDS

Off the field

Steve Young Married Once
    Joe Montana Married Three Times
    Steve Young 1-time Man of the Year
    Joe Montana 0-time Man of the Year
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
  • Options

<< <i>Top 5 most way out there statements I’ve seen:

5. “I did not have sexual relations with the woman, Miss Lewinksy” - President Bill Clinton
    4. “Read my lips: no new taxes!” – George H. W. Bush, while candidate for US President
    3. While American Soldiers Are Showering in Saddam's Bathroom in a Nearby Presidential Palace: "We have killed most of the [coalition] infidels, and I think we will finish off the rest soon." – Baghdad Bob, Iraqi’s Minister of Information
    2. “We found the weapons of mass destruction.” – George W. Bush, May 29, 2003
    1. “But let's be honest, people have some strange crush on Montana, who should barely be in the top 10 in QBs.”- Meteorite Guy

All in fun,

Mike >>

Not a bad list, but I don't think anything I could say could beat #2. But don't worry, Bush has undeniable evidence....he said so multiple times.
  • Options
    People are ALWAYS going to put Montana at the top just like they put Jim Brown at the top so its sensless to argue. I will take Brady or Steve Young over Montana any day of the week.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

The only rational explanation I can think of for these kinds of incredibly retarted statements is your loyality to Steve Young(As per your tagline). Steve was a fine QB, But Joe Montana he was not. >>

We can pretend I am the first to compare Steve Young and Joe Montana if you want. They actually look very comparable in my opinion, but Young had legs that Montana did not.

Steve Young 7-time Pro Bowl selection
    Joe Montana 7-time Pro Bowl selection
    Steve Young 7-time All-Pro selection
    Joe Montana 8-time All-Pro selection
    Steve Young 2-time NFL MVP
    Joe Montana 0-time NFL MVP
    Steve Young 2-time NEA NFL MVP
    Joe Montana 1-time NEA NFL MVP
    Steve Young 2-time Bert Bell Award
    Joe Montana 1-time Bert Bell Award
    Steve Young 2-time UPI NFC Player of the Year
    Joe Montana 1-time UPI NFC Player of the Year
    Steve Young 1-time NFL Offensive Player of the Year
    Joe Montana 1-time NFL Offensive Player of the Year
    Steve Young 1-time Super Bowl MVP
    Joe Montana 3-time Super Bowl MVP
    Both are HOF'ers

When Montana retired, his career passer rating was 92.3, the highest all time; he has since been surpassed by Steve Young (96.8), Peyton Manning (94.8), and Kurt Warner (94.3).

Steve Young 169 games played, 4149 attempts, 2667 completions, 232 passing TD's,
    Joe Montana 192 games played, 5391 attempts, 3409 completions, 273 passing TD's

On the ground

Steve Young 722 attempts, 4239 yards, 43 TDs
    Joe Montana 457 attempts, 1676 yards, 20 TDs

Steve Young 169 games, 275 TDS
    Joe Montana 192 games, 293 TDS

Off the field

Steve Young Married Once
    Joe Montana Married Three Times
    Steve Young 1-time Man of the Year
    Joe Montana 0-time Man of the Year >>

You forgot the most important stat of all:

Joe Montana - 4 SB Rings
    Steve Young - 1 SB Ring

The question I have though doesn't involve a stat:

There is a 1:37 left on the clock you are down by 4 and on your own 20 with 1 timeout. Now, who do you want for quarterback your game winning drive?

Perkdog, given your regional ties, I'll give you Brady (IMHO, you're pulling the trigger too early, his career is only half baked but...). Just like I will give Bronco fans Elway. By the way, I am a die-hard RAIDER fan! So I have no ties to Denver, New England or SF as I sit here in football hell until Al Davis dies or becomes incapacitated. As a matter of fact, unlike Steve Young's wife and sig line, I would throw a party if these 3 franchises were banned from the NFL.image

As a Raider fan let me put this a different way; Having a career of Steve Young, I would equate to having Rich Gannon for his MVP season over and over again. Gannon was a stat monster that year. On paper the man was unbelievable. But he is not the guy I would want guiding my team if I had a choice. With that said: I have been fortunate enough to see live QBs such as Montana, Marino, Young, Gannon, Stabler, Brady, Fouts, Farve, and Elway just to name a few.

If I had to start with QB for the 2009 season it would be Brady.

As for the all-time best I want a guy who can win a big pressure game. I want comeback wins on MNF, Playoff games and SBs. If I could pick any QB from the past I would look at players such as Montana, Bradshaw, Staubach, Stabler, Plunkett, Elway and possibly Brady if he is able to redeem himself from the stalled drive at the end of last year’s SB

Guys like Young and Gannon are good but if you think Young was a better QB than Montana you must also think that Bill Walsh was a poor judge of talent.

Just because I guy is a stat hound on paper doesn’t make him a clutch QB.
    Best Regards,

Rob

• Options
    "You forgot the most important stat of all:

Joe Montana - 4 SB Rings
    Steve Young - 1 SB Ring"

A Super Bowl win is a complete team effort by 52(?) people, but I will give you those numbers. Also technically, Young has three rings, and did win 3 games and finish 2 games for Montana during one of Montana's, but I will get you the 1. I did however credit Montana with 3 SB MVP's. And I left off Montana's Comeback Player of the Year award to be kind to Montana. Young could never win the award....since a yearly top 3 QB has no place to comeback from.

Here are some more numbers....

Young 1.6 TDs a game.
    Montana 1.5 TDs a game.

Career passing rating
    Young 96.8
    Montana 92.3

Career passing percentage

Young %64.28
    Montana %63.23

Young 25.08 yards a game rushing
    Montana 8.72 yards a game rushing

So lets see, Young had a better passing rating, better TD%, was MUCH better with his feet, better passing percentage and won more major awards. So yes, I guess I have to agree with you Montana lovers, Montana was obviously better (if you ignore all numbers and go with the California media).

"There is a 1:37 left on the clock you are down by 4 and on your own 20 with 1 timeout. Now, who do you want for quarterback your game winning drive?"

In the case of these two, the QB that has the best passing and TD % of course, and the best chance to connect with Jerry Rice.....Steve Young. Which by the way, Young completed more Rice TD's then Montana.
  • Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    Best Running back-Jim Brown
    Best Quarterback-Joe Montana
    Best Linebacker- Lawrence Taylor
    Best Receiver-Jerry Rice
    Best O Linemen- Anthony Munoz

Honorable Mentions
    Best Defensive Back-Ronnie Lott, Deon Sanders
    Best D Linemen-Merlin Olson, Reggie White

Although my collecting passion is pre-60's football, i cannot put any of them in the top 5 list with modern day athletes..although Baugh, Graham, Hutson,Nagurski, Bednarik and a few other were very tempting!
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Otto Graham deserves as much mention, if not more, than Montana. Forget the stats, although he has them, too. Graham may have been the greatest winner in history. And when the day is done, isn't that what counts?

1. Jim Brown
    2. Jerry Rice
    3. Otto Graham
    4. Walter Payton
    5. Sammy Baugh

Defensive players, since it's tough to include them in the Top 5 All-time:
    1. Lawrence Taylor
    2. Dick Butkus
    3. Bruce Smith
    4. Chuck Bednarik
    5. Deacon Jones
  • Options

<< <i>"You forgot the most important stat of all:

Joe Montana - 4 SB Rings
    Steve Young - 1 SB Ring"

A Super Bowl win is a complete team effort by 52(?) people, but I will give you those numbers. Also technically, Young has three rings, and did win 3 games and finish 2 games for Montana during one of Montana's, but I will get you the 1. I did however credit Montana with 3 SB MVP's. And I left off Montana's Comeback Player of the Year award to be kind to Montana. Young could never win the award....since a yearly top 3 QB has no place to comeback from.

Here are some more numbers....

Young 1.6 TDs a game.
    Montana 1.5 TDs a game.

Career passing rating
    Young 96.8
    Montana 92.3

Career passing percentage

Young %64.28
    Montana %63.23

Young 25.08 yards a game rushing
    Montana 8.72 yards a game rushing

So lets see, Young had a better passing rating, better TD%, was MUCH better with his feet, better passing percentage and won more major awards. So yes, I guess I have to agree with you Montana lovers, Montana was obviously better (if you ignore all numbers and go with the California media).

"There is a 1:37 left on the clock you are down by 4 and on your own 20 with 1 timeout. Now, who do you want for quarterback your game winning drive?"

In the case of these two, the QB that has the best passing and TD % of course, and the best chance to connect with Jerry Rice.....Steve Young. Which by the way, Young completed more Rice TD's then Montana. >>

Wrong answer but congratulations, you and Al Davis show the same eye for intangible talent!image I will stop right here and you may have the last word. I have done my best to explain it to you but I can't understand it for youimage Given how you speak of these two players it is obvious you have never seen them live on multiple occasions. Quoting stats will only get you so far.

I have had the same discussion with many a Rich Gannon fan. They all thought he was great until they saw him live. Since you have not been able to make the jump from what's on a stat sheet to what it takes to win there is no reason for us to continue this conversation.

By the way, while you're at it, why don't you argue that Marc Wilson was a great QB also. On paper he put up some monster numbers, so did Drew Bledsoe and Danny White let's throw them in the mix as well.
    Best Regards,

Rob

• Options

<< <i>Otto Graham deserves as much mention, if not more, than Montana. Forget the stats, although he has them, too. Graham may have been the greatest winner in history. And when the day is done, isn't that what counts?

1. Jim Brown
    2. Jerry Rice
    3. Otto Graham
    4. Walter Payton
    5. Sammy Baugh

Defensive players, since it's tough to include them in the Top 5 All-time:
    1. Lawrence Taylor
    2. Dick Butkus
    3. Bruce Smith
    4. Chuck Bednarik
    5. Deacon Jones >>

Otto Graham as the best QB ever? I don't know but you have a legitimate argument. The man QBed a team for 10 years and won 7 titles. By the way, I read this in and am often manipulated by the California Media so my opinion may not be worth much.image
    Best Regards,

Rob

• Options
    Montana and Brown are greats but I dont think they necessarily should always go straight to the top of the list.
    Perhaps it was just a matter of the chips falling in the right place and the stars aligning, that we think of Montana as #1? Perhaps Clark drops the pass. Then he is top 10 but not necessarily #1... right?
    I would think a number of QB's could have won 3 super bowls on those Montana led teams. Same with the 7 of Graham.
    Am I talkin' crazy?

John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    "Wrong answer but congratulations, you and Al Davis show the same eye for intangible talent!"

Let's not forget San Francisco gave Super "I might play half the season" Montana the door to make room for Young, which improved their win-loss record. Leonard Marshall was the best thing to happen to San Fran.

• Options

<< <i>Montana and Brown are greats but I dont think they necessarily should always go straight to the top of the list.
    Perhaps it was just a matter of the chips falling in the right place and the stars aligning, that we think of Montana as #1? Perhaps Clark drops the pass. Then he is top 10 but not necessarily #1... right?
    I would think a number of QB's could have won 3 super bowls on those Montana led teams. Same with the 7 of Graham.
    Am I talkin' crazy?

John >>

Graham really revolutionized the game, so I will not agrue there. Remove "The Catch" and Montana loses his biggest spot in football folklore, so it surely would have some effect.

IF SB wins, which again is a TEAM effort, is everything when judging a QB....how come Bradshaw isn't on anyone's list.
  • Options

<< <i>

There is a 1:37 left on the clock you are down by 4 and on your own 20 with 1 timeout. Now, who do you want for quarterback your game winning drive?
    q]

Roger Staubach..is there anyone else? image
    Collecting:
    Dallas Cowboys
    SuperBowl MVPs
    Heisman Trophy Winers
  • Options
    I agree that Otto Graham deserves much credit... the other problem is that the game has changed since the days of Graham, Sammy Baugh and othe great QBs of the what I would call the pre-modern era of the NFL.

And perhaps the biggest problem is... how many remember seeing Graham play?

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

q]

Roger Staubach..is there anyone else? image >>

IMHO Great choice. I was not fortunate enough to see him play live but he would be on my short list of top QBs. A winner, intelligent, read the field well, he knew how and when to get rid of the ball. One of the all-time best at last minute comebacks.image
    Best Regards,

Rob

• Options

<< <i>Montana and Brown are greats but I dont think they necessarily should always go straight to the top of the list.
    Am I talkin' crazy?

John >>

John,

I don't think you're talking crazy at all. Those are legitimate questions to raise in a discussion like this IMHO. I never saw Graham play at all so I am unable to comment on who would fit into the Cleveland system and replace Graham seamlessly.

As for Montana, I am able to think of a few that would potentially fit into the 80's and 90's SF System and be successful:

But in the SF system with Bill Walsh and George Seifort, I truly believe Roger Staubach was the only QB that could have won the same 4 superbowl rings Montana did.

Here are a few other QBs and why I do not think they could have been as successful:

1 - Steve Young - See previous posts (Young might have won the Denver SB no others)
    2 - Terry Bradshaw - good but too erratic early in his career to win early (Montana's first SB against the Bengals).
    3 - Ken Stabler - Wouldn't fit into the system (If he can't smoke two packs of cigarettes and drink a bottle of whiskey the night before the game....)
    4 - Dan Fouts - Good QB with a great team in SD. I don't see how SF would have been different (IMHO very similar to Young).
    5 - Tom Brady - Not sure Jury still out. Before this last SB I would have leaned yes, now I am in the I don't know category.
    6 - Brett Farve - Excellent QB but different tools would not have won the Bengal SBs.
    7 - John Elway - see Brett Farve post

My guess is Bart Starr would have been very successful in the SF system also but again, I never saw him play.image

Herb Brooks said it best when placing together the US Hockey team "We're not looking for the best players we are looking for the right ones."

If you ever hear the great Deacon Jones speak he will tell you that the 60's Packers were far from the most talented team in the NFL but he will also tell you they were the BEST TEAM.

Best Regards,

Rob

• Options

<< <i>

Am I talkin' crazy?

John >>

John,

I don't think you're talking crazy at all. Those are legitimate questions to raise in a discussion like this IMHO. I never saw Graham play at all so I am unable to comment on who would fit into the Cleveland system and replace Graham seamlessly.

As for Montana, I am able to think of a few that would potentially fit into the 80's and 90's SF System and be successful:

But in the SF system with Bill Walsh and George Seifort, I truly believe Roger Staubach was the only QB that could have won the same 4 superbowl rings Montana did.

Here are a few other QBs and why I do not think they could have been as successful:

1 - Steve Young - See previous posts (Young might have won the Denver SB no others)
    2 - Terry Bradshaw - good but too erratic early in his career to win early (Montana's first SB against the Bengals).
    3 - Ken Stabler - Wouldn't fit into the system (If he can't smoke two packs of cigarettes and drink a bottle of whiskey the night before the game....)
    4 - Dan Fouts - Good QB with a great team in SD. I don't see how SF would have been different (IMHO very similar to Young).
    5 - Tom Brady - Not sure Jury still out. Before this last SB I would have leaned yes, now I am in the I don't know category.
    6 - Brett Farve - Excellent QB but different tools would not have won the Bengal SBs.
    7 - John Elway - see Brett Farve post

My guess is Bart Starr would have been very successful in the SF system also but again, I never saw him play.image

Herb Brooks said it best when placing together the US Hockey team "We're not looking for the best players we are looking for the right ones."

If you ever hear the great Deacon Jones speak he will tell you that the 60's Packers were far from the most talented team in the NFL but he will also tell you they were the BEST TEAM. >>

So you are saying Montana was more successful then Young with the 49ers in the 90s and that Young does not fit the 49ers system.....interesting theories. Could you tell me what Montana did for the 49ers in the 90s?