Home Precious Metals
Options

Anyone ever use a 100 oz silver bar as a door stop?

DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have a friend who back in the 80's, purchased ten 100 ounce silver bars at around $30/ounce.

Twenty years later, when silver dropped to about $4/ounce, he was using these bars as door stops throughout his house.

Personally, I would never do such a thing, but I guess he thought these were not worth that much since they dropped from $30 to $4.

Maybe it's worth a visit to his house now, to see if I can pick up a door stop (or two!!)image
"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

Comments

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I can't even afford a 100 oz bar so I would never even do that.

I am surprised your friend never had anyone take any of those door stops........
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am surprised your friend never had anyone take any of those door stops........ >>

At first that's what I thought, but then I realized that most/many people have other $400+ items around the house... so this wouldn't be much different.
  • Options
    I thought that was on old wive's tale for many years.

However, several year's ago I was talking with a silverbug like myself and we were discussing storage.

Tuned out that his wife would sew them inside a double layer of black canvas and they were used all over his house as doorstops.

He also used them as bookends.

Hidden in plain sight.

"Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many years ago we bought in a 1,000 ounce silver bar that the guy had painted green and used as a doorstop.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    MrBearMrBear Posts: 378 ✭✭✭
    Not quite the same thing, but my buddy who owns a rock & fossil shop often uses a big hunk of pyrite as a doorstop for his store. Anyone walking by on the street could pick it up and walk off with it (well, it probably weighs over ten pounds, but still...)
    Occasionally successful coin collector.
  • Options
    500Bay500Bay Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Many years ago we bought in a 1,000 ounce silver bar that the guy had painted green and used as a doorstop. >>

Probably a good idea to avoid theft in case of a burglary. Who would think of stealing a green doorstop?
    Finem Respice
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Many years ago we bought in a 1,000 ounce silver bar that the guy had painted green and used as a doorstop. >>

Probably a good idea to avoid theft in case of a burglary. Who would think of stealing a green doorstop? >>

An eighty-pound green doorstop... image
  • Options
    Actually it would be a 68 pound doorstop.

Still, unlikely that a hit and run thief would have any clue as to what that thing was.

Too heavy to run off with.

I'm betting the average mindset of a burglar would be to think it was lead if he even tried to move or pick it up.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a 100 oz bar weights 6.25 lbs

Knew some one that painted them black and used them as door stops
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options

<< <i>a 100 oz bar weights 6.25 lbs

Knew some one that painted them black and used them as door stops >>

You are correct, typo'd that one. Should have proof read it.

Meant to say 63 pounds.
  • Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    No, I just use the 50 oz bar.image
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    I built my house on a solid level foundation. So my doors stay open when they are supose to..

That way I can keep the bars in the safe.....image

Maybe your buddy should sell a bar or two and shore up his foundation issue....image

• Options
    A few quick stories about two folks I know.......

One gent only buys 100's......

Has his wife knit all sorts of christmas stuff like sleighs and reindeers and slips them over the bars...

He just stacks them in a closet during the year with the other holiday trimmings, and brings them out for the season....all over the house.

Another gent has 100 Engelhard machined 100's.... painted them all sky blue and they are now neatly lined up at the bottom of his pool.

Keep on stack'n !!
    Silver Baron
    Silver is the mortar that binds the bricks of loyalty.
  • Options

<< <i>Another gent has 100 Engelhard machined 100's.... painted them all sky blue and they are now neatly lined up at the bottom of his pool. >>

I just loved reading that! image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>a 100 oz bar weights 6.25 lbs

Knew some one that painted them black and used them as door stops >>

You are correct, typo'd that one. Should have proof read it.

Meant to say 63 pounds. >>

No, you were right the first time...it's about 68.5 pounds.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    That's a good idea although I'd prefer a gold kilo bar image
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That's a good idea although I'd prefer a gold kilo bar image >>

Gold kilo bars (1000 grams) are too small for a door stop. They would make a great paper weight though.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    Even a 100 ounce gold bar would be a bit small.

I suppose it would work, based on the only one I'ver ever seen.

It would make a nasty toe stubber, though.
  • Options
    Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭
    No, but one sits on my desk as a paperweight now.
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was a well known NBA player that had a 400 oz gold bar out in his garage and of course it got ripped off. This had happened about 10 years ago.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21