Home Precious Metals

For those looking for a long term metal to hold the best is going to be Palladium. -- Why?

TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭
For those looking for a long term metal to hold the best in my opinion is going to be Palladium. Why?

Palladiums unique ability to absorb 900 times it's own weight in hydrogen will be critical in Hydrogen fuel storage for Hydrogen Fuel Cells that will be coming out in production model cars from General Motors and others in 2011.

With Palladium at $234 an ounce you can expect it to rival or overtake Platinum in value within the next decade, also with Russia being the largest producer of Palladium it will be in short supply if the current regime continues on their current course of rebuilding the Iron Curtain.

If your in it for the long haul and want a good investment spend some time and research what I have just told you for yourself.

Tex
On BS&T Now: Nothing.
Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.

Comments

• mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    what does everyone think about this? Do you believe this or ?

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • All the precious metals will be in short supply. Why pick the one that has the least liquid market?
    I'm not following the logic here.
  • I am assuming he is guessing that the market will move up (and become more liquid) like platinum for the reason he gives, and I will add another one. I am not 100% positive, but I am pretty sure the US Mint plans on offering a version of the 2009 High Relief Saint in palladium - which will make it even more liquid. This is an interesting theory, and I have watched the price come down.

Do you know in what form you can buy this metal now? Does anyone currently make coins or bars?
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?

• << <i>Do you know in what form you can buy this metal now? Does anyone currently make coins or bars? >>

I know you can buy Chinese Panda Palladium coins. Canada also produces a Palladium coin. The premiums I've seen on Ebay are pretty steep vs spot.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • JoesMaNameJoesMaName Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    Do palladium coins basically look like platinum?
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    They're silver in color. Not a bad idea since palladium dropped like a lead weight like Platinum did, but it's selling for waaay over spot on ebay right now. $240 and it's going pretty consistenly over $300 on ebay

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    never seen palladium at the local store....perhaps he has to special order it? Never seen anyone ask for palladium or platinum either. Only asking for gold and silver
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • I just checked apmex, they have/had a couple coins, one ounce about 150 over spot! Ebay shows they do make bars also, those are going for about 100 over spot plus.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    long term metal......hmmmm

something to consider, or possibly investing in the refiners/miners who do the most.

worth a poke, thanks

there's a gold bug fund symbol ^HUI that tracks a lot of gold mining stocks, i wonder how many of those refine or mine palladium?

Stillwater Complex in Montana comes to mind but don't know if it is publicy traded and it is not a componement of the ^HUI as far as i know.

• We are NEVER going to hydrogen fuel cell cars. Not gonna happen for a multitude of reasons.

As far as platinum and palladium being needed for catalytic converters or scrubbers as in hydrogen, new metals alloys are in the works to replace them.

Already exist in labs and will be coming to a car or factory near you soon.

These alloys are much cheaper, much!

Blame those crafty Japanese.

I'm sure palladium does have a unique property somewhwere, we just haven't discovered it yet.

The one metal with the most unique, valuable and irreplacable properties remains ........... silver.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2020 7:04AM

I wish I had been able to buy more palladium, the fact that overtook platinum was right on the nose.

Hydrogen Fuel Cells were being built by Ford and GM in a Dana Plant in Tennessee.

At the time I posted this. I had watched the plates that would have gone in the cells being made, I could not say anything about the details without endangering my job.

At $2355.04 for palladium and $956.99 for platinum this morning way more than double where at the time of the post platinum was about 4 times the price of palladium.

Oh well...

Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on your prescience, I should be asking you what metal you like right now, if any. Great call!

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent prediction...Thanks for resurrecting the original post...Cheers, RickO

@ricko said:
    Excellent prediction...Thanks for resurrecting the original post...Cheers, RickO

Thanks RickO, I can only hope someone took it to heart and made some money on it.

Have a great day !

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was a good call, regardless of the reasons the price moved a lot.
    Kudos, and congrats on your conviction and fortitude and patience, you must have made a bundle!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

@jmski52 said:
    Based on your prescience, I should be asking you what metal you like right now, if any. Great call!

I'm going to say...Silver, I believe $30 an ounce Silver will be the norm in 2022, there are just to many uses throughout industry for this metal that is basically a byproduct of lead and zinc mining, lead mining and smelting is being left for third world countries to handel, from there it's S. Korea, India, China and other countries that will buy all they can get.

@Baley said:
    That was a good call, regardless of the reasons the price moved a lot.
    Kudos, and congrats on your conviction and fortitude and patience, you must have made a bundle!

I might have had I not sold it all taking care of my parents before their deaths, then loosing what was left paying for my own Cancer treatment. There is nothing cheap about any of it.

Now I'm just trying to put together a nice set of Morgan's, easier said than done on social security. I am having fun though.

Thanks for the nice words...and have a great day !

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

You certainly called it unlike most of the paid metal gurus. Great call. Congrats!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• dennis1219dennis1219 Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

Amazing post. All the so called PM gurus should should put you on their payroll.

• hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great call

• ilmcoinsilmcoins Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭

See you in 2022 to see if your silver call pays off! I hope you are right!

• Tiggs2012Tiggs2012 Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

Your original thesis still flawed though considering the non-viability of fuel cell cars still since '08 and before. Theres a reason even now they still only lease them, there's no clear path for them plus they're terrible to drive and are irrelevent. '5yrs away' has been their red herring maxim for decades.