Home Precious Metals

Whats the deal? APMEX has no silver

No ASE's, maples,bars,rounds,.......Nothingimage
But they do have Philharmonics at a premium 1.04 higher than BD.
Why do you have to 'put your two cents in'... but it's only a 'penny for your thoughts'? Where's that extra penny going to?

Comments

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Australian kangaroos are really high. A few years ago I bought 4 of them from APMEX just for the novelty, now they cost a lot more.
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • I got 100 Philharmonics from Bullion Direct for 1337.00 with shipping charges.
    that is less than 100 oz bars are selling for on ebay.image
    Why do you have to 'put your two cents in'... but it's only a 'penny for your thoughts'? Where's that extra penny going to?
  • RRRR Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    Just buy some SLV.

RR
    <html />
  • ok explain SLV and where do I buy ? what are the fees ?
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    thats crazy apmex has no silver. I was just on yesterday and they had silver. Guess someone bought everything?
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • What is slv
    Trustworthy BST sellers: cucamongacoin
  • Cohodk let us know this p.m. that SLV is traded on the AMEX.

If you go to Stockcharts.com or Bigcharts.com and plug in ticker symbol SLV
    you will get a chart view of the action.

Cohodk explained that 1 share of SLV is the equivalent of 1 oz. silver, and is traded with most
    brokers and should cost no more than $10.00 in transaction cost.

NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac

• << <i>What is slv >>

SLV is a derivative (ETF) of silver. It's supposedly backed by silver bullion, but I doubt it.

If you wanna invest in silver, buy the real metal. If you wanna trade it, buy SLV.
  • SLV is nothing more than a piece of paper telling you that you own silver. There is a big push to have
    the Commodities commission push for an investgation.

The physical owners are claiming that the priceof silver has been manipulated by paper trades. The claim is there are more paper shares out there than there is physical silver held in the vaults of the companies that are selling paper silver.

My understanding is that an SLV share should be the same as the old Silver Certificates. Each share should
    have the backing of physical silver.

I could be wrong. But that is what I gathered from the report I read....
  • tincuptincup Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Know what you are doing--- before investing in SLV.

If you want physical silver, you will not get it from SLV. You cannot take any kind of delivery. It is a PAPER investment. As mentioned, it is supposedly supported by silver in vaults, etc. But past postings on this forum have brought to light much of the 'fine print' of this investment vehicle...... it is possible for paper games to be played in this investment vehicle.
    ----- kj
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've only bought from Apmex one time, and they were ok, but perhaps a little high on their margins.

For the past 8 or 9 years, I've stuck with Tulving for good service and reasonable pricing.

I've been monitoring their silver offerings and premiums on their silver for a month or two. Their premiums on silver eagles have gone steadily from $1.50/oz. to $3.79/oz. At the same time, they have 1000 oz. bars at $0.59/oz. over spot.

Clearly, there is a premium on smaller quantities and smaller units of division. Makes sense to me. There simply aren't enough smaller units around to satisfy demand, and the price goes up for them.

If demand continues strong, and if the Mint continues to drag their feet on procuring silver to mint more silver eagles, you can bet that private industry will eventually gear up to fill the void - if the silver is available.

What's been most interesting is that the more common forms of silver have been snapped up at Tulving, and have been gone for a few months. They might get some in, but then it's gone. The status quo is "sold out".

So, now we're down to 1,000 oz. bars, some rolls of misc. dates of silver eagles, and 40% silver as the only things available. If 1,000 oz. bars finally become unavailable, then we'll have pretty good confirmation that silver is getting scarcer.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • tincuptincup Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those old war nickels that I have been holding on to are starting to look good......!
    ----- kj
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still seems like a fair amout of 90% silver around my area. One regional dealer was asking $1 over spot for it. No thanks for now.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    roadrunner, I'm also seeing lots of 90% silver available. Tupperware containers filled with quarters, morgans, halfs, dimes,etc.

Seems a lot of people are not buying them. They are coming into the stores asking for pure silver coins/bars and since there are none, they turn around and leave.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • fcfc Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭

<< <i>roadrunner, I'm also seeing lots of 90% silver available. Tupperware containers filled with quarters, morgans, halfs, dimes,etc.

Seems a lot of people are not buying them. They are coming into the stores asking for pure silver coins/bars and since there are none, they turn around and leave. >>

agree. small lots of 90% are available around here.. but they go begging for buyers. people want .999 fine it seems.
  • I still like the walker halves for my 90%. Picked up three bags recently at not too much of
    a premium over spot. Someday I may go through them and check dates and mints.
    They looked pretty good, no slicks.

Most recently (7days) I can't seem to find any. Not even with large premiums, they are just
    not offerd for sale, at least where i have been checking.
    NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac
  • garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭

<< <i>No ASE's, maples,bars,rounds,.......Nothingimage
    But they do have Philharmonics at a premium 1.04 higher than BD. >>

They will be in supply again if/when the prices go up again