Home Metal Detecting
Options

Panning for gold questions

I'm starting to get intrigued about panning for some gold. I know my chances of actually finding any are about .0001% in the area I live in, but I think it would be fun anyways. I live in Southeast Missouri, and have access to a small creek on family land, so that is where I planned to try this out. The creek floods, so material constantly gets moved.

I have ZERO knowledge.

My questions are:

1. Where should I pull my material to pan from, the creek bank or the creek riverbed under the water, or both?

2. Can you make your own pan, or should I purchase one? If you can make one, any instructions on the net in doing this?

I'm sure I might have more questions but that is what I have right now. I can find panning techniques on the net but cannot find the other information that I'm looking for above. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Go to GoldBay and check out the Q&A section.. Several Gold Miners post & sell their material on that site..

& Good Luck image
  • Options
    In my area, I think it's more of a miracle then luck. image

thanks for the link, I'll check that out.
  • Options
    Hmmm, finally found some info about where gold has been found in the state, and I'm no where near the areas. So barring a miracle, I think my little creek I'll be doing is going to be a bust and probably a waste of time.
  • Options
    Panning is slow, operating a small sluice is a time saving way to do it. Here is a guy I met this summer doing just that in a small stream near the campsite. He didn't find anything after 3 hours of intense looking. I learned a lot watching, mostly I now know I don't want a sluice.

"If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only chance you'll have to get gold on your creek would be if the creek has bedrock that you can get down to. Gold is extremely
    heavy and settles to the bottom and rests on the bedrock. Good luck,
    bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Well, for this experiment I think I'll stick to panning. I see that pans are not to expensive ($6), so I will probably get one. I figure I could take it on vacation up to MI when I visit my parents, since they seem to be in an area that produces gold. As for down here in MO, I'd be happy if I just found 1 little flake just to show my wife it can be done, but I don't look for this to happen. If anything, I'll at least get some exercise out of this.

It's to bad my metal detector doesn't seem to work to well, or else I'd bring that along also. It's about 25 years old, but either something is wrong with it, or else I just don't know how to use it, because it sure doesn't seem to pick things up regularly when I just throw some stuff on the ground to test.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold panning is fun... and a lot of work. I have panned gold in CA, AZ, WA and New Zealand. It takes patience... and there is a technique to it... I would suggest you google it.. there are sites that explain the process. Once you get down to black sand in your pan.. and see the first 'flashes' of color... - Wow.. what a thrill... Good luck... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd suggest buying a green plastic gold pan-- you can see the gold a lot better with a green one, as well as the black sand. I've panned in Alaska and Ohio-- surprisingly, I found more in Ohio than AK! I live in California and should probably try my hand at it again when I get some neoprene gloves. I tried it in a mountain stream last summer and the water was so icy cold that my veins hurt all the way up to my elbow even though I had only put my hands in.

Another approach-- my older brother who pans a lot scoops out sand and dirt from a creek near his house in a 5 gallon bucket and then takes it home and pans it there, on two sawhorses and a piece of plywood. Bending for hours on end will KILL your back.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    I was thinking about getting a black pan thinking you could see the gold better in a black one vs a green one. Is this true, or doesn't make much difference?
  • Options
    You'll find gold in Michigan creeks. Just not enough to make it worthwhile to do except for fun.

Ray

• Options
    LOL, I bought an _old _well _used 14" copper gold pan a couple of years ago off eBay...

With the idea that I might get a hankern someday too image
  • Options
    You might find a few small flakes by panning out the dirt caught in the roots of grasses on the riverbank. Otherwise, don't expect much if there's no bedrock visible.
  • Options
    Heavy clay is also a good barrier for gold to settle onto.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    I like the new black, plastic pans... however, the color of the pan really does not make that much difference... I have used the steel pans and the gold is very obvious... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I'm hoping that I might get lucky and find something. The creek floods a couple times a year, so there is a lot of material that goes through. I'm not expecting much if anything, but it sure would shock the inlaws if I found gold on their property. hehe
  • Options
    I'd still recommend a green plastic one-- I was blinded once by a steel one. image Black plastic can make it harder to see buckshot and black sand as well, good indicators that you're panning correctly.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭

Good luck, my friend...and remember, when you find some color, just come right back here and spend it.
  • Options
    And one thing to remember, if you do think you see something in your pan, pull the pan out of the water then
    start to look through it. If you keep it in the water the item you saw might fall out and then you lost it. I've
    had that happen before while panning in Colorado.
  • Options
    dcamp78dcamp78 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭
    Kiyote - where in Ohio?

Big Dave
    Big Dave
    -------------------------
    Good trades with: DaveN, Tydye, IStillLikeZARCoins, Fjord, Louie, BRdude
    Good buys from: LordMarcovan, Aethelred, Ajaan, PrivateCoinCollector, LindeDad, Peaceman, Spoon, DrJules, jjrrww
    Good sale to: Nicholasz219
  • Options

<< <i>Kiyote - where in Ohio?

Big Dave >>

Middletown, near Dayton. Our family farm has a creek that runs through it.
  • Options
    Been to Dayton many times on business... work with the government agency DSCC there... Nice town... have (or had) a really good Italian restaurant there.. cannot recall the name right now... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    A really good Gold read is "Beans and Bacon from a GOLD pan".
    True story about a young couple in the late 30's - 42 or so, making a living
    panning Gold on the Augua Fria near mariposa California.

NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac
  • Options
    One can still make a living panning gold... it is hard work, long hours, but you are your boss. More profitable in Alaska... but still good spots in the lower 48. If you want to have fun and get some good stuff.. get a White's TDI and go to Moore's Creek in Alaska...you get to keep what you find... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    those blue or sometimes green neoprene gloves are great for working in cold water, and even cut the wind when youre out the water

I highly recommend them for panning in colder water, I've used them when drilling through the ice on arctic lakes
  • Options
    Panning for gold is a fool's pursuit. Gold panners make even us metal detectorists look sane. image
  • Options
    "Panning for gold is a fool's pursuit."

Not true Kiyote... I know several people that make a living at it... If you approach it properly and learn what areas to work, how to do it, where to look etc etc etc... it can be very profitable. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still Gold left here in CA. Helps with a dredge going down to bedrock.
    Some folks operations still pull out quite a bit of the yellow metal.

Good Luck
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    Only about 12% of the gold in California has been recovered. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Actually the title is " Bacon and Beans from a Gold Pan"

Looked it up on one site for availability and they had six used, but priced at $68.00 +
    Guess it turned into a popular and collectable book. The original price was under $5.00 I believe.
    NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac
  • Options
    Here are the largest nuggets/pickers that I have found in central Indiana. What you see is the result of COUNTLESS hours of driving to/from the location as well as actual labor AND the use of an almost $3,000 piece of equipment, my 4" proline suction dredge. Could I make a living at this? Hell no. Do I have a fun and relaxing time each time I go out? You bet!image

• Options
    Try the same effort in REAL gold country (i.e. northern CA, AK etc) and you would be making a living... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    what is the best way to distinguish little flakes of iron pyrite from gold when out in the field?
  • Options

<< <i>what is the best way to distinguish little flakes of iron pyrite from gold when out in the field? >>

Its all about SG baby! Specific gravity. Pyrite flakes will actually sway or even flip in just the tiniest bit of swirling of the water in the pan. You likely wont ever see a gold fleck/flake "flip" no matter how hard you swirl the water. If you panned correctly, the pyrite (with a SG of about 5) will be "long gone" from the top edge of the bottom of the pan. All that should be up there is a little black sand (iron with a SG of almost 8) maybe some lead ( SG of 10) if any is present, and that gorgeous yellow stuff (SG of over 19). Another 2 surefire ways to differentiate the 2 minerals is to "shade" the flakes with your hand. While pyrite will be a bright brassy yellow in the sun, it looses all its luster in the shade. Gold is buttery yellow in both sun and shade. The other test is a knife edge. Put both flakes on a stone and press into them with a knife edge. Pyrite will snap instantly, gold will just indent. Good luck creekside!
  • Options
    Once you see REAL gold, you are never fooled again... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    thanks for the tips!