Home Precious Metals
Options

24k Plated .999 silver bars at melt

Today I found some Hamilton Mint .999 silver 1oz bars that were 24k plated. For some reason these have little appeal to me, however they are the same 1oz of silver and they can be had at melt which was $10.82 so I bought four. I didn't want to pass it up entirely, but I was hesitant to buy the rest, about a dozen more.

I think I will pick them up Monday, it just took me some thinking to get around the gold plating for some reason. Would this have slowed anyone else down considering they could be had at melt and how hard it is getting to find at that price?

Anyone?....Anyone?....Bueller?
Witty sig line currently under construction. Thank you for your patience.

Comments

• Options
    No, I would have bought all they had avail.... Then if I second guessed myself I would have
    sold them on eBay for 20 an ounce....image
  • Options

<< <i>No, I would have bought all they had avail.... Then if I second guessed myself I would have
    sold them on eBay for 20 an ounce....image >>

Good point.image
    On ebay the gold plating probably adds a premium.

I went back today and grabbed the other 8 at $10.84 each, less than I thought left. They also had 17 - 1000 grain Sterling silver Franklin mint bars. The math works out to 2.08oz at .925 which equals 1.93oz ASW. I wanted to do the math on these before I returned and got a price. She sold them to me at 2oz each for melt ($10.84), so it worked out to about melt +40 cents per ounce.

I think I'll be visiting this pawn shop regularly.

Edited to correct math, initially used ounce, not troy ounce which brought my cost up to a little over melt on the sterling.
  • Options
    They would be my new friends......image
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    i shy away from sterling. i do not want the mess of buyers going
    through the same predicament as you when it comes time for me to sell.

otherwise, if you know what you are doing and realize when selling
    you will not get a large premium, probably even a discount below spot...

go for it!
  • Options

<< <i>i shy away from sterling. i do not want the mess of buyers going

go for it! >>

Do you ever get sick of playing devil's advocate???

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

go for it! >>

Do you ever get sick of playing devil's advocate??? >>

not really, no. have a problem with it? ;-)
  • Options

<< <i>They would be my new friends......image >>

agreed...I'd visit often....with a box of donuts too......ask that they will hold stuff for your eyes only.....so go often (one or twice a week).......you may get cull morgans-peace......but most likely .999 bullion rounds-bars.....

I had such a pawn shop here for a couple years....got some good deals on the "junk" stuff..........if it looked like a "real" coin (silver dollars) he would jack up the price...but I got all his .999 silver rounds and bars....most generic...some top name brand.

To bad they moved 75 miles away....image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

go for it! >>

Do you ever get sick of playing devil's advocate??? >>

not really, no. have a problem with it? ;-) >>

No, not at all. I have a friend just like that as well... He seems to be a very sad person most of the time.

I have tried to teach him that he needs to enjoy other people's opinions and not always have something
    negative to say..

He doesn't agree with that either...image Imagine that....image

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>They would be my new friends......image >>

agreed...I'd visit often....with a box of donuts too......ask that they will hold stuff for your eyes only.....so go often (one or twice a week).......you may get cull morgans-peace......but most likely .999 bullion rounds-bars.....

I had such a pawn shop here for a couple years....got some good deals on the "junk" stuff..........if it looked like a "real" coin (silver dollars) he would jack up the price...but I got all his .999 silver rounds and bars....most generic...some top name brand.

To bad they moved 75 miles away....image >>

Ouch. Do you still call and see if they have enough to make a ride worthwile?

I believe you have an excellent strategy there. The woman was friendly and we got along well so far. She told me they have a good sized collection that will be put on the sales floor in 30 days.(waiting period) Could be some interesting stuff, she said there was a lot of silver involved. Gives me something to look forward to.
  • Options

<< <i>No, not at all. I have a friend just like that as well... He seems to be a very sad person most of the time.

I have tried to teach him that he needs to enjoy other people's opinions and not always have something
    negative to say..

He doesn't agree with that either...image Imagine that....image >>

I've also noticed that the "glass half empty" type people seem to be less happy on the average.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    blackbeard you must update this! I want to find out what happens.......perhaps you will find lots of silver! Save up the cash!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options

<< <i>blackbeard you must update this! I want to find out what happens.......perhaps you will find lots of silver! Save up the cash! >>

The date of release is October 10th or 11th according to the woman at the pawn shop. But I will start checking regularly for bullion/coins in the mean time. I will gladly post the results of what I find here as soon as possible. Saving up some cash is excellent advice, I'm going to be rounding up some funds in advance of this. I don't want to be standing there short of cash if something great shows up.