Home U.S. Coin Forum

How difficult is it for a knowledgeable dealer to refrain from correcting all of the misinformation

In another thread, a very prominent professional dealer made the following comment,

“It bugs me more when a thread has a ton of replies from people who really don't know what they are talking about and give the original poster the wrong answer. It’s like the blind leading the blind.”

We clearly have some experts on these boards, and also have some people who mean well, but do not always provide the most accurate information. On a topic that is near and dear to my heart (taxes), there are frequently threads where people get into a debate on tax issues, how to report (or not report) income, etc. Most times, however, the information is plain wrong, and it is difficult for me to restrain myself (as an aside, I wonder why a discussion about interventional radiology and recent methods and practices never breaks out on these boards).

For the knowledgeable dealers (or other very knowledgeable collectors), how difficult is it for you to refrain from correcting all of the misinformation that occurs on these boards?
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• I am not a prominent dealer! But thanks for the compliment.

I try to help/add info where I can but there is alot I am still learning myself.

Cameron Kiefer
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭

<< <i>(as an aside, I wonder why a discussion about interventional radiology and recent methods and practices never breaks out on these boards). >>

That's easy, because RYK, mgoodm3, and myself want to talk coins and not something that's "work".

For those who don't know, I'm not a M.D., just the person who takes the pretty pictures that the Dr.'s look at. image

-wes

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    I don't know what you are talking about.

There are no blabby newbies on this forum.

There are no intolerant cranky old farts.

There are only educated numismatists.

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The solution is very simple for me. I will decide for myself what is misinformation.If I care enough about the information presented,I might research it a bit before I make a decision about whether the information is credible or not.

As far as posting information I might have,I try to be as careful as I can because I don't want to purposely misinform folks.

My best advice would be for folks to put the filter on and decide for themselves what information they care about and also be willing to do their own research.As for correcting all the misinformation,forget about it.That would be a losing battle.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes it's easier to pretend not to see threads than to get involved. image

Tempus fugit.
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>For the knowledgeable dealers (or other very knowledgeable collectors), how difficult is it for you to refrain from correcting all of the misinformation that occurs on these boards? >>

I don't consider myself a "very knowledgeable collector" (at least compared to some around here), but I don't have any problem whatsoever correcting inaccurate posts by others. Sometimes my responses are blunt (particularly if the misinformation was presented bluntly or authoritatively), but the intent is always to set the record straight (or at least straight as I see it)....Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.

• "How difficult is it for a knowledgeable dealer to refrain from correcting all of the misinformation that occurs here?"

Why would a "knowledgeable" dealer want to refrain from correcting all of the misinformation that occurs here?.
    I would think they would post the correct information to help those that are so misinformed.
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"How difficult is it for a knowledgeable dealer to refrain from correcting all of the misinformation that occurs here?"

Why would a "knowledgeable" dealer want to refrain from correcting all of the misinformation that occurs here?.
    I would think they would post the correct information to help those that are so misinformed. >>

..............image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • PistareenPistareen Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    No one wants to look like Mr. Smartypants. Sometimes I'll throw in some information, but I'd rather not be in the position of telling someone they're wrong. As a dealer, you learn quickly that if a newbie has a choice between believing a speciaist dealer with 20 years experience or their plumber, the plumber always wins.

It is sometimes frustrating to watch the misinformation get tossed around. What is more frustrating, however, are the questions that appear here that could be very easily answered with even the most basic numismatic library. I wish more of the new collectors realized that not all (or most) numismatic information can be found online, but that a library with 10-15 titles in it might well cover the lion'share of information they'd find relevant or interesting.

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A good one will help without being a "know it all". They will lend their advice/expertise and state why they know it to be true, or believe so.

There are too many people on here that try to come across as knowing it all, without the credentials, and don't state that it is opinion or was based on an actual circumstance (and give that circumstance).
    Kind of like those that blanketly state SAEs can't tone, naturally, in a very short time. Kind of like those that state the USPS won't pay out on items that are DC'ed but that the recipient claims to not have received....etc etc etc

Do, since you know taxes, if you actually know the answer, why not share your knowledge, if so inclined?

As for me....I try to help out with knowledge, where I can. If I don't have the knowledge to help, I try not to give out erroroneous info. To me, the hobby/forum is all about sharing and learning....and having fun.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>"How difficult is it for a knowledgeable dealer to refrain from correcting all of the misinformation that occurs here?"

I would think they would post the correct information to help those that are so misinformed. >>

..............image >>

Me too.

I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭
    If I accidentally give mis information I usually get a friendly e-mail from a certain banned member/dealer. image
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,419 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Happy Talk" rules most forums. The truth about something hurts so people ignore the truth. Probably that is why, ignoring the truth, many just sit on the sidelines and chuckle at many of the answers given here.

Ken
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why, exactly, do you assume a 'knowlegeable' individual must be a dealer?? Quite frankly, while there are knowledgeable dealers.. I have seen far more dealers that are very uninformed.... to the point it makes me wonder why they are dealing in coins... some comments/discussions at coin shows leave me bewidered. The dealers have no clue about very important issues/items/numismatic lore. Cheers, RickO
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why, exactly, do you assume a 'knowlegeable' individual must be a dealer?? Quite frankly, while there are knowledgeable dealers.. I have seen far more dealers that are very uninformed.... to the point it makes me wonder why they are dealing in coins... some comments/discussions at coin shows leave me bewidered. The dealers have no clue about very important issues/items/numismatic lore. Cheers, RickO >>

Totally agree. I've made similar observations.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    must be a very slow day at the office......
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why, exactly, do you assume a 'knowlegeable' individual must be a dealer?? >>

He didn't:

For the knowledgeable dealers (or other very knowledgeable collectors), how difficult is it for you to refrain from correcting all of the misinformation that occurs on these boards?
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In another thread, a very prominent professional dealer made the following comment,

“It bugs me more when a thread has a ton of replies from people who really don't know what they are talking about and give the original poster the wrong answer. It’s like the blind leading the blind.”

We clearly have some experts on these boards, and also have some people who mean well, but do not always provide the most accurate information. On a topic that is near and dear to my heart (taxes), there are frequently threads where people get into a debate on tax issues, how to report (or not report) income, etc. Most times, however, the information is plain wrong, and it is difficult for me to restrain myself (as an aside, I wonder why a discussion about interventional radiology and recent methods and practices never breaks out on these boards).

For the knowledgeable dealers (or other very knowledgeable collectors), how difficult is it for you to refrain from correcting all of the misinformation that occurs on these boards? >>

Maybe you shud introduce these dealers to the PM function or they can always email the info to a trusted friend who will see that it gets posted. Hopefully the comment/corrective statement will be about facts well known to the business and not just some dealer's personal preferences or business practices. Frankly what this place needs is a good no holds barred dirt board.
    theknowitalltroll;

<< <i>

Do, since you know taxes, if you actually know the answer, why not share your knowledge, if so inclined?

>>

See, there ya' go. I thought tax law, like all law, was mostly just a matter of opinion. image

Tempus fugit.
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

See, there ya' go. I thought tax law, like all law, was mostly just a matter of opinion. image >>

Have you ever seen the cost of a written tax law opinion on a transaction? Shhheesh...it makes the fees dealers charge look like nothing. image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Sometimes it can be very difficult and frustrating because you see posts with information that you know for a fact is totally wrong then when you attempt to make corrections other forum members become defensive or hostile while accusing you of misinformation.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a knowledgeable guy, in many ways (jack of all trades and master of none, haha).

I would like to think that some of my posts clear up misinformation or are educational. I know at least a few are.

Many of my posts, however, are silly nothingness, and I am sure there has been a time or two when I was the one unknowingly spreading the misinformation.

Ain't nobody perfect, even the most knowledgeable among us. (And of the ones who went before, Walter Breen seems an ideal example of somebody full of knowledge who nonetheless spread a little misinformation at times, knowingly or unknowingly.)

That's the thing about numismatics, and most fields of study. No matter how big your brain or your britches, there is seemingly always somebody bigger than you and always somebody smaller. The wisest sage can sometimes learn a thing or two from the lowliest fool, too.

Many of our wiser sages here are more of the silent lurking types, only occasionally venturing out to post a concise, well-reasoned answer. Most of the wise ones read more and post less, unlike yours truly.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

<< <i>I'm a knowledgeable guy, in many ways (jack of all trades and master of none, haha).

I would like to think that some of my posts clear up misinformation or are educational. I know at least a few are.

Many of my posts, however, are silly nothingness, and I am sure there has been a time or two when I was the one unknowingly spreading the misinformation.

Ain't nobody perfect, even the most knowledgeable among us. (And of the ones who went before, Walter Breen seems an ideal example of somebody full of knowledge who nonetheless spread a little misinformation at times, knowingly or unknowingly.)

That's the thing about numismatics, and most fields of study. No matter how big your brain or your britches, there is seemingly always somebody bigger than you and always somebody smaller. The wisest sage can sometimes learn a thing or two from the lowliest fool, too.

Many of our wiser sages here are more of the silent lurking types, only occasionally venturing out to post a concise, well-reasoned answer. Most of the wise ones read more and post less, unlike yours truly. >>

Per Ptahhotep:

circa 2400 BC

(43) "Don't let your heart get big because of your knowledge.
    (44) Take counsel with the ignorant as well as with the scholar.
    (45) (For) the limits of art are not brought,
    (46) (and) no artisan is equipped with perfection.(12)
    (47) Good discourse is more hidden than green stone,(13)
    (48) yet may be found among the maids at the grindstones.(14)

http://www.maat.sofiatopia.org/ptahhotep.htm
    Tempus fugit.
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭
    It's not my job to correct anyone else & I have plenty of battle scars from stupid flame wars, so I post my opinion on the the topic and move on. I do enjoy a good discussion & am prepared to support my opinion with facts if the need be.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dog, don't ever let facts get in the way of good forum discussion. what an idiot!!!!image
  • man u's guys make me feel real bad, i'm uninformed, can't spell and only completed 12th grade. and my math teacher told me that i would use arithmatic all my life and i told her NOT. guess she was right.

did i spell that right? arithmatic, a-rith=matic;

think i will go set or sit in the corner and play with my coins.
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭
    I see you're still a trouble maker keets! And that's a fact! heehe
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.

• << <i>I am not a prominent dealer! But thanks for the compliment.

I try to help/add info where I can but there is alot I am still learning myself.

Cameron Kiefer >>

All of you ex third party graders that go into business for yourself are modest.

Ray
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

See, there ya' go. I thought tax law, like all law, was mostly just a matter of opinion. image >>

It probably wouldn't be that hard to get differing answers from several "experts" if you asked all of them the same question; and these are questions which shud likely have a black and white answer. There are always comments here about different answers to the same question given by different postal clerks in different areas. It seems to me that if you take 10 postal clerks from 10 different states who have each been at their job for at least 10 years, that you should get the same answer to the same question [presented to each clerk] from all 10 of them, but I bet you don't.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I often receive PMs from very prominent dealers with answers to questions I pose or corrections to erroneous statements that I may make. Many dealers do not want to put themselves in such a position publicly. As it is, they are generally treated like pinatas here, so why bother?

as an aside, I wonder why a discussion about interventional radiology and recent methods and practices never breaks out on these boards

A very prominent member of this forum has discussed two IR-related that he was personally experiencing, and Barry has asked me a radiology question or two ove the years (I got him back by asking him whether I should get glasses). To my knowledge, I am the only interventional radiologist on this forum. IIRC, Nic is a neuroradiologist, Lakesammman is a head-and-neck radiologist, and mgoodm3 is a general radiologist. Most people (including my mother) do not know or understand what an interventional radiologist does, so it would be hard for such a discussion to break out here. Everyone pays taxes, though. image
  • CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,608 ✭✭

<< <i> Most people (including my mother) do not know or understand what an interventional radiologist does, so it would be hard for such a discussion to break out here. >>

Here is one at work.

• I have to say that I'm of the same mind-set as Bochiman and LordM- I come on the forums to learn, relax, and have fun. I have been very appreciative of several more experienced collectors helping me out and "taking me under their wing"- most of the "half-dime geeks" have done this and I am the richer for it.

I am guilty of a lot of "nice coin" posts largely because many of the coins I see posted here are far nicer than anything I see here in Baton Rouge. I really enjoy it when people post their new coins or acquisitions, whether they are MS-67 or AG-03. If I like it, I like to let the poster know that I find his/her coin attractive.

When I make an error or do not express myself well, there are a few people who have PM'ed me to let me know that I am mistaken. I always appreciate this because it furthers my numismatic education without the need of publicly making me feel like an uneducated jackass in front of the whole forum. (You know who you are, and I appreciate it)image
    "College men from LSU- went in dumb, come out dumb too..."
    -Randy Newmanimage
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    I thought your post count determined your level of expertise?
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen

<< <i>I thought your post count determined your level of expertise? >>

Nah. Cheet posts can be had by one and all. image
    Tempus fugit.
    +2
    Tempus fugit.
  • I know a little bit about many things rather than being an expert on something. When I can add info I do. Sometimes I make mistakes and appreciate being corrected because I learn from that. I try to give back some of what I have learned here and other places.

It is easy to refrain correcting some things because, no matter how many times I try, somebody will always misspell nickel. image I'm also spending less time here due to other, new, demands on my time.
  • It's probably no more difficult than it is for people who understand and value the rules and conventions of standard written English to refrain from correcting all the grammar, usage, spelling, and syntax errors that appear on these boards.

That is: For some, it's excruciatingly difficult. For others, it's effortless. And the vast majority probably have a reasonably easy time refraining because they don't have time and/or don't want to publicly embarrass the misinformed posters.

"Coin collecting problem"? What "coin collecting problem"?
  • JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    It depends.

If someone posts something that is so far out there, I don't even think about responding.

Mostly, I will respond if I see someone post a common misconception.

Then again honestly I often see questions to which I know the answer or statements that I know are false but I just don't feel like
    getting involved because I am not in the mood to potentially have to defend my statements that I know are true....

John

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• For all I care, if there's misinformation... SPEAK UP!!! Us newbs need to learnimage

edit:spelling image
  • FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    There are too many people on here that try to come across as knowing it all, without the credentials, and don't state that it is opinion or was based on an actual circumstance (and give that circumstance).
    Kind of like those that state the USPS won't pay out on items that are DC'ed but that the recipient claims to not have received....etc etc etc. >>

Of course the postal manual at http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm300/609.htm states:

4.3 Nonpayable Claims
    Indemnity is not paid for insured mail, Registered Mail, COD, or Express Mail in these situations:

a. Evidence of insurance coverage not provided.

b. Loss, rifling, or damage occurred after delivery by the USPS.

Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    There's one thing that's being missed here (and completely by accident). How do we KNOW who is accurate or not? Obviously, in time you will see as I have that some people are right most if not all of the time, and their info has been verified by my own research. But many people may possibly act like-and truly believe-that they are correct. Conviction can be a powerfull thing.

I know where the knowledgeable folk are coming from. I post on several NASCAR message boards where I know a heck of a lot more about the history of the sport then most of the other members. Yet when I try to share that info, and have proof, even photos to prove it-I'm called an elitist and generally heckled and overall disliked, even to a point of nearly giving up even trying.

It's no fun when you know, reasonably well, and verifyiably well that you are correct but people either don't care or get mad at you for saying it.

In fact, every time a read a new NASCAR book, I make note of what they've gotten wrong or glossed over or had incomplete. I have not found a book yet that has not had some demerit-no MS70s there! image

As a new collector, this is my 6th month as a collector, in fact, I do not know much about coins. I'm learning, and much of that comes from reading threads here and various books-I buy them when I can afford it but that's not too often, unfortunatly. I'm still asking lots of questions, far more then I am answering them (except, of cource, general interest, like what's your favorite year Barber or some such) and I certainly hope that the answers I recieve are correct-you can't build a knowledge base with no knowledge. (Even well meaning people who happen to be wrong-it happens, and I am certainly not immune to plenty of wrongness!)....after all, Knowledge is Power.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,023 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting thread... There are excellent dealers and some are just a wealth of information and some share or at least attempt to create interest with their posts. For those such as Julian or MrEureka and several others, we owe our thanks.

We also should thank collectors who have become specialists and really have an excellent understanding and knowledge of various coins that share their thoughts.

Like anything, there will always be misinformation or certain opinions may carry more clout based on the experience of the dealer or collector.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• << <i>Sometimes it can be very difficult and frustrating because you see posts with information that you know for a fact is totally wrong then when you attempt to make corrections other forum members become defensive or hostile while accusing you of misinformation. >>

I'm by no means a professional, but I do have areas I've studied a fair amount. There have been times where I've responded to threads giving information I knew was correct (and on a few occasions I actually had the original documents in front of me to prove it), but was accused of giving false info.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Billy....the following isn't against you but is an answer to some of your thoughts....

It isn't always in what you know, sometimes it is in the delivery. Some folks come across as elitist or worse. So, even if the information is correct, no one wants to listen.
    It's a talent to be able to deal with people. A talent some folks on here seem to be lacking.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    << How difficult is it for a knowledgeable dealer to refrain from correcting all of the misinformation that occurs here? >>

What knowledgeable dealer? What misinformation?

Most people know a little bit about a lot of things, a lot about a few things, I don't know even one person that knows everything about even one thing!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file