Home Sports Talk
Options

Ryan Howard for NL MVP......

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As an unbiased perosn in this debate, I would take Pujols over Howard 10 out of 10 times. Sorry Phillies fans. This is not because I am a Met fan, I am fan of reality.

Howard k's over 3 times more than Pujols does. I would take a little less homers and a higher batting average any day of the week over 200 k's per year.

Time to get your heads out of butts and stop being such a bunch of homers. >>

I'd rather have class players on my team and the Phillies players exemplify winning with class.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>As an unbiased perosn in this debate, I would take Pujols over Howard 10 out of 10 times. Sorry Phillies fans. This is not because I am a Met fan, I am fan of reality.

Howard k's over 3 times more than Pujols does. I would take a little less homers and a higher batting average any day of the week over 200 k's per year.

I'd rather have class players on my team and the Phillies players exemplify winning with class. >>

BINGO, Howard is a great athlete and a great fan friendly player. How can you not like that? Especially if you are too cheap to buy lower deck seats and still
    want to catch a ball!

JS
  • Options

There you go, sillies fans..
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Will Pujols cry like a baby when he isn't starting at first at his own stadium for the All star game? I think so.

JS >>

You're right - and the FACT is that Pujols is a crybaby...that's not debatable...but I guess "Stan the hypothetical Man" doesn't want to hear about that. I'd rather have a class athlete like Ryan Howard on my team.

Case closed. >>

Class? I guess you guys don't know the meaning of it if you fail to see Pujols is right up there with the best of them. A top notch citizen who give so much back to his community, and is greatly respected by his teammates and fellow players who voted him the best current player.. Refresh my memory sillies fans, as to who won the Roberto Clemente award, and who has not? Oh, that's right, Albert Pujols has won it. That award is very telling of how a person lives their life on and off the field..

Only a foolish person would take Ryan Howard over Albert Pujols on any day of the week. It's laughable to even argue for Howard over Pujols, because Pujols is the superior hitter, and that's not even debatable. Pujols will always be the better hitter of the two. Case closed!
  • Options

<< <i>Will Pujols cry like a baby when he isn't starting at first at his own stadium for the All star game? I think so.

JS >>

Well, apparently you have not looked at who's leading the All Star Game voting at first base have you?

And before you sillies fans want to knock a 7 time All Star, your first baseman needs to at least make the team more than once(2006 was Howard's only appearance).
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

Here we go with the Saint Friggin' Albert bit again.

For clarification, are we talking about the Pujols with PEDs or the one without?

I'll need to know that in order to make a proper decision. image
  • Options

<< <i>Here we go with the Saint Friggin' Albert bit again.

For clarification, are we talking about the Pujols with PEDs or the one without?

I'll need to know that in order to make a proper decision. image >>

Jealousy of the greatest player in the game must be horrible for you sillies fans. I feel for you all, I truly do.. You can't debate the facts of who is the better player, so you sillies fans have to resort to juvenile false allegations, huh? Just the typical stuff from you guys.. You have played this record so many times, it has become so predictable.. Try something new for a change, won't ya?
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    I can't speak for how either player is off the field, but Pujols' stats do the talking. Howard is a great player but he's got quite a ways to go before being compared to Pujols IMHO.
  • Options
    Actually I have not been engaging in the debate.

Don't want to interfere with your unswerving show of man love.

It truly is a wondrous thing to behold.
  • Options

<< <i>I can't speak for how either player is off the field, but Pujols' stats do the talking. Howard is a great player but he's got quite a ways to go before being compared to Pujols IMHO. >>

Pujols off the field
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    In 2008 which player had the bigger impact with runs crossing the plate...

Do your homework and report back...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options

<< <i>In 2008 which player had the bigger impact with runs crossing the plate...

Do your homework and report back... >>

Pujols was the 2008 NL MVP, and deservingly so. Get over it, sillies fans!

Pujols is the best hitter/player in the game, and Howard is not. Just learn to deal with it.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I can't speak for how either player is off the field, but Pujols' stats do the talking. Howard is a great player but he's got quite a ways to go before being compared to Pujols IMHO. >>

Pujols off the field >>

Howard has not been around for long in the majors, and he just recently began picking up the big paycheck.

Foundations are nothing special for athletes.

Howard Family Foundation proposal

Howard Family Foundation All Star Bash - July, 2009 - St. Louis
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    thanks for not answering the question...

wonder why?

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Pujols off the field >>

Howard has not been around for long in the majors, and he just recently began picking up the big paycheck.

Foundations are nothing special for athletes.

Howard Family Foundation proposal

Howard Family Foundation All Star Bash - July, 2009 - St. Louis >>

It's amazing that you try to discredit all the great things Albert does to help others off the field. Nothing but the typical classless actions of sillies fans.
  • Options
    So, pointing out that Ryan Howard has a foundation and that this is a vehicle used by many athletes to dispose of extra income and help the community is in some way discrediting Pujols?

I think not.

Dude, grow a set.
  • Options

<< <i>So, pointing out that Ryan Howard has a foundation and that this is a vehicle used by many athletes to dispose of extra income and help the community is in some way discrediting Pujols?

I think not.

Dude, grow a set. >>

No, that's not what you done. Go read your own words, and it will show you how classless you come off. I will never knock a player who tries to do good things for others in need, no matter if I like that player/team or not. Don't tell me it's nothing special when Pujols charters a plane on his own dime, and rounds up some doctors & dentists to go down to the Dominican Republic to help people that are in serious need of medical and dental care. Also, he and his wife Dee Dee have bought beds for poor people that have never even had one of their own to sleep on. Yeah, I guess that stuff is nothing special to you, but I remember another great humanitarian named Clemente who done the similar type thing to help impoverished people in his native land.

Pujols does not have to do this stuff in his off season, and he could set on his rump and relax/not be bothered, but there is so much more to what drives Albert Pujols. I have never said he was a perfect person, or a saint. That is the stuff the trolls like to say when they want to stir the pot with the Pujols fans. But... I will say he is a good person who I respect very much.

Don't tell me to grow a set, I have plenty. If you knew me in real life, I assure you that would be pretty evident with how I state my honest feelings for better or worse to a person's face. I have never been one to back down to anyone. That may be a personal flaw, but that's just me.

Edit: Added comments
  • Options
    double post
  • Options
    Hey Stan the Hypothetical Man - Ya know what's more foolish than anybody thinking Howard is overall better than Pujols, is a dope like you believing that anybody could think that. Nobody here has stated that Ryan Howard is better than Albert Pujols, and nobody here needs to justify their comments with silly hypotheticals except you.

I'll speak for myself, but I think this reflects the feelings of most Phillies fans...is Pujols technically the better player? Of course...there, ya happy now Mr. Hypothetical for stating the obvious...now would I rather have Howard or Pujols on my team? I'd rather have Howard for reasons stated including his RBI production. Understand it a little better now, or must we make the obvious more obvious?

And as far as the PED's - that story hasn't been written yet so you should stop talkin' outa your arse with snide remarks such as "As I said, in the end, Pujols will go down as one of the greatest hitters in the history of the game, and Howard won't even be in the conversation."
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Stan the Hypothetical Man - Ya know what's more foolish than anybody thinking Howard is overall better than Pujols, is a dope like you believing that anybody could think that. Nobody here has stated that Ryan Howard is better than Albert Pujols, and nobody here needs to justify their comments with silly hypotheticals except you.

I'll speak for myself, but I think this reflects the feelings of most Phillies fans...is Pujols technically the better player? Of course...there, ya happy now Mr. Hypothetical for stating the obvious...now would I rather have Howard or Pujols on my team? I'd rather have Howard for reasons stated including his RBI production. Understand it a little better now, or must we make the obvious more obvious?

And as far as the PED's - that story hasn't been written yet so you should stop talkin' outa your arse with snide remarks such as "As I said, in the end, Pujols will go down as one of the greatest hitters in the history of the game, and Howard won't even be in the conversation." >>

The only dopes I see on this board are the sillies fans. How about Ryan Howard and PED's????

I'm not worried about Pujols ever being associated with PEDs, I assure you. Keep the juvenile accusations a rolling, but that's all they are, and all they will ever be.

You claim you want Howard for his RBI totals, which equates to 13 more per year on average, with a much better lineup over what Pujols has had in St. Louis, so be it. I won't argue that point with someone who is not bright enough to see placing Pujols in that sillies lineup would produce many more RBI's than Howard, due to Pujols being a better hitter who makes more frequent contact/hits for a higher average. That's not a hypothetical, that's reality.

If you switch teams for Pujols and Howard, you can't honestly sit here and argue that Howard would put up the same or more RBI's in St. Louis(than Pujols would in Philly), with the Cards' weaker lineup and more pitcher friendly park. Surely, you can't be so naive?

You want Howard over Pujols? Great! That suites me just fine, becuase I would not trade Pujols for Howard, and I don't know of anyone but sillies fans that would take that option over Pujols.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Hey Stan the Hypothetical Man - Ya know what's more foolish than anybody thinking Howard is overall better than Pujols, is a dope like you believing that anybody could think that. Nobody here has stated that Ryan Howard is better than Albert Pujols, and nobody here needs to justify their comments with silly hypotheticals except you.

And as far as the PED's - that story hasn't been written yet so you should stop talkin' outa your arse with snide remarks such as "As I said, in the end, Pujols will go down as one of the greatest hitters in the history of the game, and Howard won't even be in the conversation." >>

The only dopes I see on this board are the sillies fans. How about Ryan Howard and PED's????

I'm not worried about Pujols ever being associated with PEDs, I assure you. Keep the juvenile accusations a rolling, but that's all they are, and all they will ever be.

You claim you want Howard for his RBI totals, which equates to 13 more per year on average, with a much better lineup over what Pujols has had in St. Louis, so be it. I won't argue that point with someone who is not bright enough to see placing Pujols in that sillies lineup would produce many more RBI's than Howard, due to Pujols being a better hitter who makes more frequent contact/hits for a higher average. That's not a hypothetical, that's reality.

If you switch teams for Pujols and Howard, you can't honestly sit here and argue that Howard would put up the same or more RBI's in St. Louis(than Pujols would in Philly), with the Cards' weaker lineup and more pitcher friendly park. Surely, you can't be so naive?

You want Howard over Pujols? Great! That suites me just fine, becuase I would not trade Pujols for Howard, and I don't know of anyone but sillies fans that would take that option over Pujols. >>

I think if I was forced to choose between reading another one of your ridiculous hypothetical nonsense posts or drinking poison, I would say "hand me the glass"
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>So, pointing out that Ryan Howard has a foundation and that this is a vehicle used by many athletes to dispose of extra income and help the community is in some way discrediting Pujols?

I think not.

Dude, grow a set. >>

No, that's not what you done. Go read your own words, and it will show you how classless you come off. I will never knock a player who tries to do good things for others in need, no matter if I like that player/team or not. Don't tell me it's nothing special when Pujols charters a plane on his own dime, and rounds up some doctors & dentists to go down to the Dominican Republic to help people that are in serious need of medical and dental care. Also, he and his wife Dee Dee have bought beds for poor people that have never even had one of their own to sleep on. Yeah, I guess that stuff is nothing special to you, but I remember another great humanitarian named Clemente who done the similar type thing to help impoverished people in his native land.

Pujols does not have to do this stuff in his off season, and he could set on his rump and relax/not be bothered, but there is so much more to what drives Albert Pujols. I have never said he was a perfect person, or a saint. That is the stuff the trolls like to say when they want to stir the pot with the Pujols fans. But... I will say he is a good person who I respect very much.

Don't tell me to grow a set, I have plenty. If you knew me in real life, I assure you that would be pretty evident with how I state my honest feelings for better or worse to a person's face. I have never been one to back down to anyone. That may be a personal flaw, but that's just me.

Edit: Added comments >>

Stating that many athletes also have foundations that do great work in the community and that these foundations are also a way to decrease the athlete's tax exposure and employ family members in no way singles out Pujols. It's just a fact and takes nothing away from anyone doing the same thing. There are hundreds of foundations currently being operated by athletes.

Many of us would take the same steps to help our communities using extra finances if we were in the same position. Some of us give gifts of our time by volunteering when we cannot afford to give money. I have some experience in this having worked for an internationally known non profit organization for 8 years which benefited from foundation contributions.

Stating your opinion is easy. Not backing down is easy.

Having the ability to listen and debate takes nuts.
  • Options
    Stevek,

Go ahead and drink the poison if you want. It certainly can't hurt anymore brain cells.

Anyone that says they will take Ryan Howard over Albert Pujols is not worth even trying to reason with.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________
    SoFLPhillyFan,

Not many players take their off season to go to a foreign country and help the impoverished, and get their hands dirty. Believe what you want, or think what you want. I am here in the St. Louis area, and have been involved with my fair share of the Pujols Family Foundation events, and seen with my own two eyes that the Pujols family cares and does great things for down syndrome children, as well as for the impoverished in the Dominican Republic.

I have not been to the DR, but a friend of mine that is a dental assistant has went and she said she was blown away by the fact that Albert and Dee Dee truly care, and were there for the legit purpose of helping, not for photo opportunities like many celebs do. My friend said she admitted at first she was a skeptic if this guy was for real, but she said Albert and Dee Dee dissolved all doubts by their actions, and showed her there are still genuine people in their world who do care. People like you on a message board will not discredit or change what I have personally witnessed with my own eyes, or what I know from friends who have been there first hand.

Again, I don't think anyone is a saint or perfect, but I do respect and admire the person and player.
  • Options

oops...I drank a cold Sam Adams by mistake. image
  • Options

JS >>

Just thought I would update the voting that came out today for you sillies fans. Well, well..... look who is # 1.... image

2009 MLB All-Star Balloting : National League

1st Base

RANK PLAYER NAME NL TEAM TOTAL VOTES

1. Albert Pujols Cardinals 1,240,395
    2. Prince Fielder Brewers 527,165
    3. Ryan Howard Phillies 524,879
    4. Joey Votto Reds 240,383
    5. Adrian Gonzalez Padres 220,080

• Options
    Ryan Howard hit a HR last night. Too bad he struck out in his other 4 at bats.
  • Options
    SteveK, if you truly don't understand how the number of RBI opportunites, the speed of the players ahead of you, and how the configuration of the park can impact and artificially inflate a players RBI total, then I suggest you partake in a free throw contest with StanTHeMan.

Here are the rules.

Object: Who can make the most free throws.

StanTheMan gets 17 free throw attempts
    Stevek gets 10 free throw attempts

StanTheMan shoots at a 10 foot high rim
    SteveK shoots at a 12 foot high rim

SteveK, based on your thinking you should have no problem accepting this contest(and for money on the line). After all, when StanMan wins by two, it is only hypothetical that you would have made more with more attempts, so I would not expect to hear a complaint.

The thing you are confusing the RBI opportunities with, is that you are acting as if it is Howard's doing that is creating the extra opportunities, likening it incorrectly to a basketball player being good enough to create extra field goal attempts. It is the ability of hte players ahead of Howard's doing, and they get a good portion of the credit for his RBI. Only a fool would give it all to Howard.

Actually, I would like to do that contest with you, because until the principle directly affects you, it is only then where you truly understand it. And I wouldn't mind some easy money in the process.

• Options

<< <i>SteveK, if you truly don't understand how the number of RBI opportunites, the speed of the players ahead of you, and how the configuration of the park can impact and artificially inflate a players RBI total, then I suggest you partake in a free throw contest with StanTHeMan.

Here are the rules.

Object: Who can make the most free throws.

StanTheMan gets 17 free throw attempts
    Stevek gets 10 free throw attempts

StanTheMan shoots at a 10 foot high rim
    SteveK shoots at a 12 foot high rim

SteveK, based on your thinking you should have no problem accepting this contest(and for money on the line). After all, when StanMan wins by two, it is only hypothetical that you would have made more with more attempts, so I would not expect to hear a complaint.

The thing you are confusing the RBI opportunities with, is that you are acting as if it is Howard's doing that is creating the extra opportunities, likening it incorrectly to a basketball player being good enough to create extra field goal attempts. It is the ability of hte players ahead of Howard's doing, and they get a good portion of the credit for his RBI. Only a fool would give it all to Howard.

Actually, I would like to do that contest with you, because until the principle directly affects you, it is only then where you truly understand it. And I wouldn't mind some easy money in the process. >>

Hoopster - you must be sniffing glue like your buddy Stan the Hypothetical Man - you think anyone here doesn't understand your and STHM points on this, in which a first grader who follows baseball already gets this...so you're just making yourself look foolish....and I mean very foolish.

The point is it's a hypothetical and it's meaningless, get it Einstein...a hypothetical, and no one can predict what Pujols would do in the Phillies lineup...he could play better or worse depending on a whole host of circumstances.

Bottom line - hypotheticals bore me...reality is where it's at and the fact is that Ryan Howard has had better RBI production than STHM's boy Pujols, and for a power hitter, RBI's is overall the most important stat of all - bringing in the runs, ya follow that Einstein? Without runs, ya can't win games, following it better now Einstein? Case closed and it won't be reopened. I'm tired of responding to your and STHM's silly juvenile points on this subject.
  • Options
    SteveK, no it is you who has no understanding.

If you understood it, you wouldn't keep on bringing up the RBI total, yet you do.

Lets have that free throw contest, then maybe you will truly understand, instead of just 'saying' you understand(which you don't).

What say you? Free throw contest, as outlined above for 10K?? Otherwise, it is time for you to shut up because you are showing how baseball stupid you really are...as well as generally stupid as well.

Put up or shut up moron.

P.S. It is NOT better RBI production to get similar RBI with many more opportunity.
  • Options
    Bob Horner was ugly.
  • Options

<< <i>SteveK, no it is you who has no understanding.

If you understood it, you wouldn't keep on bringing up the RBI total, yet you do.

Lets have that free throw contest, then maybe you will truly understand, instead of just 'saying' you understand(which you don't).

What say you? Free throw contest, as outlined above for 10K?? Otherwise, it is time for you to shut up because you are showing how baseball stupid you really are...as well as generally stupid as well.

Put up or shut up moron.

P.S. It is NOT better RBI production to get similar RBI with many more opportunity. >>

I said the case was closed little boy.
  • Options
    SteveK, which case? Your stupidity on understanding baseball? Or your stupidity on gambling all your money away?

It sounds like you want more than Howard on your team...I think you want him in you in the worst way!
  • Options

<< <i>SteveK, which case? Your stupidity on understanding baseball? Or your stupidity on gambling all your money away?

It sounds like you want more than Howard on your team...I think you want him in you in the worst way! >>

Now you're trying to be a funny little boy.

But frankly though, you're just a boring little boy.
  • Options
    If science develops a way for males to get pregnant, at least the Pujols backers will have the genes of a bona fide HOFer.
  • Options
    cause you know its going to happen!
  • Options
    how is the MVP race going this year? can you say LANDSLIDE
  • Options
    Pujols could sit out the rest of the season and still win the MVP.
  • Options
    The real question is, when will Alberto shut it down just when the cards need him the most? Will losing the divison by a half game to the cubs cement
    it? I think so.
  • Options

<< <i>The real question is, when will Alberto shut it down just when the cards need him the most? Will losing the divison by a half game to the cubs cement >>

What? Have you been drinking?
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257

<< <i>The real question is, when will Alberto shut it down just when the cards need him the most? Will losing the divison by a half game to the cubs cement
    it? I think so. >>

Not gonna happen. The Cubs are sinking faster than the Titanic!
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    Pujols = 1st ballot HOF

Howard = not so much
  • Options
    The better question is how many WS championships will Ryan Howard help bring to Philadelphia?

After this season it will be 2 and counting.
  • Options
    How quickly we forget last year, when Albert shut it down when they needed it the most.

I predict the same thing this year.

• Options

<< <i>How quickly we forget last year >>

How quickly you jump back to last years bandwagon.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>How quickly we forget last year >>

How quickly you jump back to last years bandwagon. >>

Mets lost, back under the bed!
  • Options

<< <i>Mets lost, back under the bed! >>

Nice response to one of the biggest Mets hater on this forum.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Mets lost, back under the bed! >>

Nice response to one of the biggest Mets hater on this forum. >>

yeah, on a day when the lose,oh ok.
  • Options
    Another clutch strikeout for Big K Howard stranding two men on base... what a shame

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Felt that breeze from Howard's latest whiff all the way out here on Long Island, LOL!! Clutch!!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.