Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like those ... nice clean lines ... makes for interesting presentations ... and helps visual set the coin out from the background IMO

kewl stuff! image

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool. How bout one with a Capped Half Dime? image
  • QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭
    I like your choices for the background as they all tie in with the coins presented in one way or another (such as the split rail fence for the ol' railsplitter Abe Lincoln), nice! image

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Great art using great pics. image
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Showoff. image

The choice of backdrops on those is perfect

That... is ART.

Truly.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    If you had the time and inclination to do me up a suitably Roman backdrop for my Otho denarius, I'd cheerfully give up a coin or two.

Not the Colosseum as a backdrop, though. Too overdone. Maybe something with ruins in it. Hmm. Maybe I should play around with it myself. I wouldn't be able to match your results, though.

One of my past attempts at this was done on a smaller scale, and I think it turned out quite well. It was of a proof 2c piece I owned, and I took one of our local Golden Isles sunsets and made a backdrop, then made the resulting picture my avatar. I sold the coin to 66Tbird, who still has it and uses the avatar, now.

One of my others, with the holey 1796 cent from my vest, didn't come out quite as nicely, but was so-so.

I took my proof 1893 gold sovereign and put it over a seascape sunset and it looked pretty good, but the avatar has since died and gone red-X, and I dunno if I still have the pics, large or small, anymore. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭
    LordM, I would think a picture of the aquaducts would suffice, or a Chariot race in the Circus Maximus maybe...

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome display SpaceMonkey.... thanks.. Cheers, RickO
  • dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    Very, very image sm.image
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
    Aqueducts would be a cool backdrop for that Roman. Thanks. Good idea.

But maybe just something pastoral with ruins in it.

He said he would come up with something for me. Oh, goodie.

Be thinking of what sort of gift coin you want for your services, SM. It will NOT be an Otho denarius. image

• blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are great. Amazing work and choice of subjects.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if the theater curtain fits Lafayette very well, and it'd be way too morbid for Lincoln.
    The others I like a lot.

Actually, the frilly 19th century stage curtains does fit Lafayette, I think, because he was wined and dined and gave speeches all over the US in later years. I remember walking down a sidewalk in Savannah and reading signs or plaques which indicated he'd stood on one of the nearby (still-existent) balconies to speak to the crowds. I thought of that when I saw those theater curtains.

Actually, the frilly 19th century stage curtains does fit Lafayette, I think, because he was wined and dined and gave speeches all over the US in later years. I remember walking down a sidewalk in Savannah and reading signs or plaques which indicated he'd stood on one of the nearby (still-existent) balconies to speak to the crowds. I thought of that when I saw those theater curtains.

Well, of course I won't dispute those details, but given that Lafayette was a Major General in the Continental Army during some of the Revolution's bloodiest battles, I think his most memorable exploits are far grittier than a theater curtain. I'm not saying it isn't a cool pic, I just think it doesn't quite do justice to the coin as well as it could....

Woohoo! Spacemonkey RULES! image

That ancient combo is very sweet!
  • holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    Very cool SpaceMonkey!
  • added a few new ones to the mix

-sm
  • MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice! I really like the Lafayette, Hibernia and 1914 Buffalo. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights