Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

More GODless dollars by the Mint: Monroe and Jackson are the latest to go slick

renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
According to CW online a few plain edged Monroe and Jackson dollars have been found in the 2008 satin mint set.

And they have already been graded as Specimen 68 ( 1 Monroe and 1 Jackson) and Specimem 69 for two Monroe's.

So, check your mint sets.

Happy Hunting and Flipping

Ren

Comments

• Options
    LOL, I just checked mine, and my heart jumped a beat at first. Then I realized the 5th presidential dollar was a Sac. image

Both my sets are normal.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>LOL, I just checked mine, and my heart jumped a beat at first. Then I realized the 5th presidential dollar was a Sac. image

Both my sets are normal. >>

I've done the same thing...but that was for 2007 set. I need to recheck my 2008 set.

Ren
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Sweet, I'm ordering mine today.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>LOL, I just checked mine, and my heart jumped a beat at first. Then I realized the 5th presidential dollar was a Sac. image

Both my sets are normal. >>

I've done the same thing more times than I care to remember! image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    I don't get coinworld online, but does the article say who slabbed these?
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I may be wrong, but I believe they were found in the unc. dollar coin set & not the mint set.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coin World says they were "Uncirculated Mint Sets",
    and that 6,000 sets were submitted to ICG.

Three Monroe's, and One Jackson.

The Jackson, and one Monroe were graded Specimen-68,
    and the other two Monroe's were graded Specimen-69

They were found in the first 5,000 sets examined.

So there might be a few more in the last 1,000 sets......
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    Thanks Fred! Hmmm, if I found a smooth edge jackson or monroe it would definitely go to pcgs or ngc for reasons that I won't get into, but this is only my opinion. I believe most collectors here would do the same, and if not please correct me.
  • Options
    The 5,000 sets were sent in not knowing they had a few errors in them I would imagine.

To me it is worth what it is regardless of the plastic. A very cool error!

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any more word on this? Are they still being found in the 2008 Mint Sets?
  • Options
    I just found one in the 2008 Uncirculated Annual Dollar Set. I don't collect errors, so I plan to have it graded and then sold. Problem is, the population according to PCGS is 41, and there are no prices at the moment. I have no clue what it will bring. Hell, I'm not even sure if I should break it out of the packaging to submit it. Everything I've submitted before were lose coins.

To answer questions above though;

1: Yes they are still being found (my order arrived two days ago).
    2: 2008 US Mint Annual Uncirculated Dollar Coin Set

Just ordered another set so I have a good one. image

I'll post some pics tonight.
  • Options

<< <i>I just found one in the 2008 Uncirculated Annual Dollar Set. I don't collect errors, so I plan to have it graded and then sold. Problem is, the population according to PCGS is 41, and there are no prices at the moment. I have no clue what it will bring. Hell, I'm not even sure if I should break it out of the packaging to submit it. Everything I've submitted before were lose coins.

To answer questions above though;

1: Yes they are still being found (my order arrived two days ago).
    2: 2008 US Mint Annual Uncirculated Dollar Coin Set

Just ordered another set so I have a good one. image

I'll post some pics tonight. >>

Welcome to the forum.
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • Options

<< <i>

Welcome to the forum. >>

Thanks!!

Here are a few rough pics.

First shows J.Q Adams with obvious lettering on side.
    Second shows Jackson with obvious lettering on side.
    Third shows Monroe with smooth side, no lettering.

Sorry about the fuzzyness, taken with iphone in poor light. I'll get better quality ones if anyone is interested.

Doesn't look like there is much of a following for these Satin coins, which may mean prices stay down on them (bummer for me).
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i> << LOL, I just checked mine, and my heart jumped a beat at first. Then I realized the 5th presidential dollar was a Sac. >>

Today I got $2.25 in change, it was an 09 PR quarter and an 08 Van Buren dollar, and a 09 Sac dollar.
    It reminded me that the 09 Sac has edge lettering. Has anyone found a plain edge 09 Sac?

Ed
  • Options
    eCoinquesteCoinquest Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭
    I have a 2009 Plain Edge Sac graded by PCGS.
    Now does anyone have a Satin finish Missing Edge Sac?
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a 2009 Plain Edge Sac graded by PCGS. >>

Cool! image
    Ed

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file