Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Looks like Martha developed a rash........

Any clue to why this happened? This coin is graded as PCGS PR70DCAM. It's in an intercept shield "double protection" box. I don't remember seeing this, I just happend to pull it out to take a look at some shiny gold image

Comments

• Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Improperly rinsed planchet? Just a guess.

Regards, John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    Ouch!!!!!! that has to suck. Poor Martha.
    "One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making new discoveries" -A.A. Milne
  • Options
    BXBOY143BXBOY143 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭

<< <i>Any clue to why this happened? This coin is graded as PCGS PR70DCAM. It's in an intercept shield "double protection" box. I don't remember seeing this, I just happend to pull it out to take a look at some shiny gold image

image >>

WHATS UP WITH THE "IN GOD WE TRUST" LOOKING TRIPLED?
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Smallpox.
  • Options
    Fairly normal in PCGS plastic. I've seen this over and over with PCGS graded Modern Gold coins (particularly have seen it on commems, but have also seen it on the Spouses)... the PCGS plastic seems to make these coins susceptible to developing orange toning on the coin. I've seen some Modern commems that were completely orange.
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    sTONERsTONER Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭
    i have a pcgs pr 69 dcam SOL 86 GOLD $5,, that has lovely red-orange toning, very koool look
    toner loner
  • Options
    RMLTM79RMLTM79 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i have a pcgs pr 69 dcam SOL 86 GOLD $5,, that has lovely red-orange toning, very koool look >>

Doesn't really appeal to me that much. Would rather have it the way it was.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Fairly normal in PCGS plastic. I've seen this over and over with PCGS graded Modern Gold coins (particularly have seen it on commems, but have also seen it on the Spouses)... the PCGS plastic seems to make these coins susceptible to developing orange toning on the coin. I've seen some Modern commems that were completely orange. >>

All the more reason to keep the coins in the original mint plastic. I've had silver coins tone in the mint capsules, which is to be expected. Silver is a more reacitve metal that is more prone to toning. Gold, however, should be quite stable.

The only gold coins I've seen go bad in the mint holders were pieces that were stored in some stupid place, like a very hot attic or a garage.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yik.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure, it's Shingles. Older folks, like me, seem to get them in our twilight years!

Poor Martha, misses George I'm sure.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file