Home U.S. Coin Forum

PCGS "genuine" slabs

when did PCGS start slabbing coins no grade "GENUINE" ??

Comments

• They started their "Genuine" Service a few months ago.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Due to popular demand..... at least authenticates damaged coins. Cheers, RickO
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    All of the above and you can do it to for $100 each. Ouch.
  • CheddyCheddy Posts: 411 ✭✭
    Sample slab. Read about them at sampleslabs.com

• 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's a 100 well spent Dollars.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • pakasmompakasmom Posts: 1,920
    Now, if they made that $10 instead of $100 I'd think they were on to something. Otherwise, IMHO, they are pricing themselves out of a market with burgeoning potential.

• << <i>Now, if they made that $10 instead of $100 I'd think they were on to something. Otherwise, IMHO, they are pricing themselves out of a market with burgeoning potential. >>

If PCGS lowered the price to $10, it would be a disaster for them. There would be so many "Genuine" coins, but with no "details" grades, that it would cause numerous issues.
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Now, if they made that $10 instead of $100 I'd think they were on to something. Otherwise, IMHO, they are pricing themselves out of a market with burgeoning potential. >>

If PCGS lowered the price to $10, it would be a disaster for them. There would be so many "Genuine" coins, but with no "details" grades, that it would cause numerous issues. >>

Initially, when I heard the $100 price tag, I thought it crazy, but in retrospect, it was a smart move.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Now, if they made that $10 instead of $100 I'd think they were on to something. Otherwise, IMHO, they are pricing themselves out of a market with burgeoning potential. >>

The idea is to keep the riff-raff out of the PCGS "genuine" slab neighborhood. These slabs are met for expensive coins, like that 1794 silver dollar, that are worthy authentication, but too damaged to be given a normal PCGS slab. This is also a marketing reaction to the NCS slab that NGC offers. The advantage is I think the NCS slab is ugly, but this PCGS slab has the general appearance of a normal PCGS product. Also you can register these coins on the PCGS registry and get 1 point. The one point doesn’t mean anything, but if you are looking to complete your collection with less expensive options to some very expensive coin, you can now do it.

As for the $10 "genuine" slab, I don't think that would be a good idea for PCGS. It would cheapen their brand, which would lower the prestige of the entire PCGS slab in the certified coin market.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file