Home Sports Talk
Options

Stick a fork in the Yankees, they are done.

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
What a way to close out King George Stadium. A Red Sox player wins the MVP in the AS game, and the team is mired in a slump of biblical proportions. Twelve back in the loss column and the light at the end of the tunnel is definitely that of an oncoming train.

The Steinbrenner boys surely didn't get their bang for buck this season. Throw more money at the players next year Hank, that'll guarantee a WS title in '09.

Somebody please remind me of all the WS titles, rings, blah, blah of days gone by.

Tis The CURSE of Torre. He is lovin' life in LA and not having to put up with the insanity of the Bronx.

Comments

• Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    If they are done what do they taste like?

A nasty charcoal burn from being on the fire for too long. image
  • Options
    At $28M per year, Arod is the most overpaid player in any sport, ever.

Maybe he'll give back $20M each year so that he gets paid about what he's worth. image

Charlie
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>At $28M per year, Arod is the most overpaid player in any sport, ever.

Maybe he'll give back $20M each year so that he gets paid about what he's worth. image

Charlie >>

maybe his once a year teammate Carl Pavano is the most overpaid ever?
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well it aint over till the fat lady sings but she is adjusting the mic as we speak! image
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    And the Red Sox have gotten what this year? Lol for a team that is mired in 2nd place
    some of its fans sure no how to talk trash. The wild card is not a given fellows. The White Sox
    or the Twins may win it yet.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I think the point is, the Red Sox remain in contention at this point - while the Yankees are not.

You could tell this, by the way, by observing the complete and total lack of Yankee fans posting here in recent days.
  • Options
    Thank God for the wild card huh Jer?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Steve, I will take whatever we can get at this point! We are trying to get to the same place, no matter what car we drive to get there.

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    Like I said in that topic I made, $207,000,000 payroll doesn't get what it used to, does it? Meanwhile, the entire Rays roster is being paid less than two years worth of A-Rod's pay alone and they're in first place in their division, and will most defintely make a strong push for a World Series appearance.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

<< <i>Steve, I will take whatever we can get at this point! We are trying to get to the same place, no matter what car we drive to get there.

image >>

Exactly!
  • Options

Like I said in that topic I made, $207,000,000 payroll doesn't get what it used to, does it? Meanwhile, the entire Rays roster is being paid less than two years worth of A-Rod's pay alone

That tells me that the difference between major league players is not all that significant, and guys get more money as they get older. Unlike the NFL where guys are getting millions right
    out of college. Don't worry guys these Rays players will get the big dough too. Maybe not from the Rays but they will get it in turn.

Another thing and this smacks down the salary cap BS is why are the Rays so good? The 1st round picks they have gotten over the past 8 or 9 years
    may have something to do with it?

Baseball is unique in this way. Look at Detroit? They were gonna win 110 games this year with the squad they had on paper. Oh that is right we have to actually play the games too.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    "Baseball is unique in this way. Look at Detroit? They were gonna win 110 games this year with the squad they had on paper. Oh that is right we have to actually play the games too."

The big expectations for Tiger fans went down the drain this year, very disappointing. Mike Illich will probably be making some
    changes in the off season.
  • Options
    <<You could tell this, by the way, by observing the complete and total lack of Yankee fans posting here in recent days>>

If the Yankees don't win the Wild Card (ROFL) I hope the Twins beat out your bird. Most of the time you Sox guys harp on the Yankees high salary but totally dismiss the fact that the Red Sox have one of the highest payrolls in MLB. How much more does the Sox team make compared to Tampa? How many games ahead of you are they now?

"The answer was in the Patriots eyes. Gone were the swagger and c0ck sure smirks, replaced by downcast eyes and heads in hands. For his poise and leadership Eli Manning was named the game's MVP. The 2007 Giants were never perfect nor meant to be. They were fighters, scrappers....now they could be called something else, World Champions."
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i><<You could tell this, by the way, by observing the complete and total lack of Yankee fans posting here in recent days>>

If the Yankees don't win the Wild Card (ROFL) I hope the Twins beat out your bird. Most of the time you Sox guys harp on the Yankees high salary but totally dismiss the fact that the Red Sox have one of the highest payrolls in MLB. How much more does the Sox team make compared to Tampa? How many games ahead of you are they now? >>

Sounds like sour grapes.

Don't blame the Red Sox or their fans because the Yankees suck (base)balls this year.
  • Options
    You should MYOB and worry about the Mets awesome bullpen. image

"The answer was in the Patriots eyes. Gone were the swagger and c0ck sure smirks, replaced by downcast eyes and heads in hands. For his poise and leadership Eli Manning was named the game's MVP. The 2007 Giants were never perfect nor meant to be. They were fighters, scrappers....now they could be called something else, World Champions."
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You should MYOB and worry about the Mets awesome bullpen. image >>

They do suck. I can't say a thing image
  • Options
    Only a fan that has an inferiority complex would even start a thread like this.

Oh yeah it's a Red Sox fan what was I thinking?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Stick a fork in the Yankees, they are done"

Wow, that's a "bold" prediction - the Yankees are like 12 out beginning in September. Has any MLB team ever been 12 out in the beginning of September and come even close to making the playoffs, let alone making the playoffs? - I don't think so - LOL
  • Options

<< <i>

Don't blame the Red Sox or their fans because the Yankees suck (base)balls this year. >>

• Options
    Actually they are 7 out not 12.

We are talking WC but please lets not let the facts stand in the way here.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Baseball is unique in this way. Look at Detroit? They were gonna win 110 games this year with the squad they had on paper. Oh that is right we have to actually play the games too.
    >>

You really haven't seen that sort of phenomenon in any other sport?

Or do you just mean that although the Bears went from the Super Bowl to missing the playoffs no one really predicted 90 wins?
    Tom
  • Options

<< <i>Only a fan that has an inferiority complex would even start a thread like this.

Steve >>

Since I am the one that began the thread...I would suggest you dump the personal attack...oh, gee, never mind, that's the only thing you Yankee fans know how to do. Too bad you can't handle some ribbing. Your team SUCKS and is indeed TOAST. After you crush the Tigers today, I'm sure you'll enjoy your Tampa Bay experience and soon thereafter your visit to the LAA.

BUT, if you're still feeling froggy, I'll wager (NO, I don't welch on bets) $100 that your team does not make the playoffs. Got the balls for that Mr. Inferiority?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Only a fan that has an inferiority complex would even start a thread like this.

Steve >>

Since I am the one that began the thread...I would suggest you dump the personal attack...oh, gee, never mind, that's the only thing you Yankee fans know how to do. Too bad you can't handle some ribbing. Your team SUCKS and is indeed TOAST. After you crush the Tigers today, I'm sure you'll enjoy your Tampa Bay experience and soon thereafter your visit to the LAA.

BUT, if you're still feeling froggy, I'll wager (NO, I don't welch on bets) $100 that your team does not make the playoffs. Got the balls for that Mr. Inferiority? >>

Lets not suggest that Yankees fans making fun of Red Sox fans, or Red Sox fans making fun of Yankees fans is a personal attack. Grow a little hide.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

BUT, if you're still feeling froggy, I'll wager (NO, I don't welch on bets) $100 that your team does not make the playoffs. Got the balls for that Mr. Inferiority? >>

Betting is not allowed on CU and can get you banned. Carol is watching. Goodbye now.
  • Options
    Tom G that was not my point.

My point was basically no team wins in March with a great team on paper, they have to actually play the games.

edited so I am clear I meant unique in that they have no salary cap.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    BUT, if you're still feeling froggy, I'll wager (NO, I don't welch on bets) $100 that your team does not make the playoffs. Got the balls for that Mr. Inferiority?

hey donkey kong I am a Mets fan. image

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Lets not suggest that Yankees fans making fun of Red Sox fans, or Red Sox fans making fun of Yankees fans is a personal attack. Grow a little hide.

Agreed, i was wrong for making it personal.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>
    Betting is not allowed on CU and can get you banned. Carol is watching. Goodbye now. >>

image LOL
  • Options

<< <i>Lets not suggest that Yankees fans making fun of Red Sox fans, or Red Sox fans making fun of Yankees fans is a personal attack. Grow a little hide.

Steve >>

I accept your personal apology via PM and here on the boards. Let us all stay on point and leave the personal trashing out of it. I am up for some back and forth over the Red Sox - Yankees, but let us not get too crazy with this stuff.
  • Options
    Al yeah, i messed up. Thanks for accepting it!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Steve

As stated in my PM to you, all is cool.

Al
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Betting is not allowed on CU and can get you banned. Carol is watching. Goodbye now. >>

Thanks for the heads up. If she wants to put me in time out or whatever, my life will continue quite nicely.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If i remember to do it, I'll post a "Stick a fork in the Mets, they are done" thread in a few weeks.
  • Options

<< <i>If i remember to do it, I'll post a "Stick a fork in the Mets, they are done" thread in a few weeks. >>

Would that be plagiarism?? image

Go for it, I still wince at the '87 WS and the wicket shot.
  • Options

<< <i>Lets not suggest that Yankees fans making fun of Red Sox fans, or Red Sox fans making fun of Yankees fans is a personal attack. Grow a little hide.

Steve >>

Class act Steve.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Go for it, I still wince at the '87 WS and the wicket shot.

lol you mean 86 I hope?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Go for it, I still wince at the '87 WS and the wicket shot.

lol you mean 86 I hope?

Steve >>

You are correct, hopefully this is indicative that I'm beginning to forget that experience.
  • Options
    I'm a new yorker, and I agree they are more then done. While watching last nights game they were talking about what fans would think if Jeter was moved to center field, and ARod moved to short stop. Also, Cashman will keep Chamberlain as a relief picture next season and work him out of the bull pen because Joba had not complete his pitching totals this year other words there target goals for him on his pitching.

I think, the team needs to send Cano back to the minors. I don't how he's hitting his attitude has been been, and he has lost several games for the team, and this was said in the open on yes network. Damon is also done either get this dude healthy or cut him, trade him.

I'm impressed that Nady was such a good trade to the Yankees, and I hope next season will be one of his best.

Bunting God, they need to learn how to bunt a ball !!

Hideki really needs to stop playing now, and go get his need operated on so he can be ready for next season.

Pitching, we need pitchers who can bring the team into the middle of the game like past the 6th inning.

Overall, these are so fundamental issues. But, the Yankees seem to be heading toward a big shift in players next season. I don't place it all on Joe's feet but its all goes to the players, they all caused this dismal season, and this give up attitude which now the Yankees are done, over, BBQ on an open pit finished until next season.
    Big Kahuna

• Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

<< <i>... they were talking about what fans would think if Jeter was moved to center field, and ARod moved to short stop...
    >>

The Yanks should have done that when they acquired A-Rod. Instead of having weak outfield defense Jeter would have been playing to his strength. Instead of having a brutal short stop, you'd have a decent one.

Not sure if A-Rod is capable of moving back anymore, but who knows.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>... they were talking about what fans would think if Jeter was moved to center field, and ARod moved to short stop...
    >>

The Yanks should have done that when they acquired A-Rod. Instead of having weak outfield defense Jeter would have been playing to his strength. Instead of having a brutal short stop, you'd have a decent one.

Not sure if A-Rod is capable of moving back anymore, but who knows. >>

that'd likely cost an extra $5 million a year
  • Options
    My 2 cents.

Seems to me that Yankee management hung the moon on Kennedy and Hughes, both who've become incredible disappointments. Both Rookies I might add. Then Joba was white hot out of the bullpen and Hank decided he should become a starter...bad move IMO. He was the perfect set up man for Mariano, the rest of the bullpen is iffy at best. They should have groomed Joba a bit more and not put so much pressure on him early in his career. Cano is much like Melkey, the two should have both been sent down. Damon is inept for $14m per season. You just don't know which Yankee team is crossing the white lines each game. I suspect at this point they are all privately talking about vacactions or where they're going hunting on each others massive properties somewhere, much like Larry (Chipper the perennial DL player) Jones of the utterly pathetic Braves, who owns a huge spread in Texas.

Surprisingly, Mussina has had a STELLAR year (I had thought he was toast, obviously I was wrong). Had it not been for his performance, you can imagine where the Yankees would now be in the standings. Pettite was the other anchor for the team and has pitched well.

I was amused at Hank's whining about all the injuries, as though only the Yankees had to deal with that topic. I would offer that the Red Sox had an equal or worse end of the injury issue. All that is moot now as the season is rapidly drawing down and there just ain't enough games left for the Yankees to recover. Hank also stated he'd spend whatever to bring in a star pitcher next year. Isn't is sad that a man who has not a remote clue about the game can simply edict this, that and the other about the future of the Yankees. That's it Hank, throw another 10 or 20m at the team, that'll surely guarantee a winner in the new King George Stadium.

IMO, the worst thing the Yankees did prior to opening day was to in essence fire Joe Torre. There was a certain calmness he brought to the team and I think the players understood him and he understood them. You can see the pain on Girardi's face as the team slow but surely goes down in flames. Torre of course is lovin' life among the palm trees and pacific ocean, a few thousand miles away from the insanity of the Bronx.

A-Rod, like Ramirez is all about $$$$$$, ego and narcissim. A-Rod just keeps chewing that bubble gum and attempts to look intense and into the game, when IMO he has other issues in his head...his divorce and Madonna. Like Mr. Gump said, "stupid is as stupid does". Mr. 99 wants a 4-year $100m deal to play for the Yankees, not likely, but having grown up in Washington Heights, I suspect he'll cut some deal to play there and add some nuclear fuel to his incredibly massive ego. GL with that Yankee fans! Remember, all that Manny being Manny stuff can be very, very detrimental to the goal of the team as he dogged the Red Sox time and time again.

• Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    This was a transition year for NYY. Let's see what they do next year. If they fail, there will be a massive eruption from Mount Hank.

RB
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    "This was a transition year for NYY"

totally agree. You still gotta root for Mussina though right? everyone figured he was DONE.
  • Options
    I agree, Mussina deserves all the accolades he can garner this year. Had he not done so well, as I mentioned above, the Yankees would surely have been out of the running some time ago.
  • Options
    The Yanks are 7 games back in the WC and have 6 games left with the Rays.

They are hardly done.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I can't help but think that this thread is more wishful thinking then fact.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>I can't help but think that this thread is more wishful thinking then fact.

Steve >>

No, they're done. How could you think otherwise?

And when you spend $210M on a team, you are not allowed to have a "transitional year". No such thing at that payroll level.
  • Options
    How? You answered it yourself.

They are 'done' when it is mathmatically impossible for them to win the division or the WC.

They were 'done' in 1978 too and we all know how that ended.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I for one will never count the Yankees out until they are mathematicaly elimenated, I have gotten my dreams crushed too many times to get my hand caught in the cookie jar again.

As far as this being a "Transitional" year? No way, Big George fields a team that on paper is expected to win the AL East- and to make a run at the World Series every year! The Red Sox do the same thing nowadays, so no excuses, you either have a succesfull campain or not.

I dont remember any Yankee's Fans talking about waiting until the 2009 Season!
  • Options
    me either Perk, all I see is wishful thinking by some Sox fans.

Steve

Good for you.