Home Precious Metals
Options

Giant Silver Eagles

Is there a good way to confirm that these are .999 silver?

eBay

There's a lot of these for sale w/o a cert.

Any comments?

Comments

• Options
    cinman14cinman14 Posts: 2,489
    I bought a half pounder from a forum member. It was from the Washington mint and

came in a blue velvet case with a COA... Looks like an ASE proof on steroids

I wouldn't touch one of those in the linked auction though.... IMHO
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    i am always browsing ebay for cheaper silver but when it comes
    down to plunking the money for oddball stuff i balk!

i just do not trust these odd items. JM and Engelhard for me thanks.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've purchased them over the years, but have not done so in about 4 or 5 years. Most of my 1lb's (Troy) cost me in the neighborhood of $70 - $90. Never had a problem ... they are .999% silver & some did not have a coa ... some have the silver info on the rim & some on the obverse of the coin. You can get them in the Silver Eagle, Morgan or Peace $ ... I've also seen 1/2 troy lb rounds with the same designs ... ( Just remember ... each round is 12 troy oz & do your math from there )
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought some silver proof sets from that seller in 1999. He's fine, and I'm sure that the product is what he says it is.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    TomohawkTomohawk Posts: 667 ✭✭
    FishyOne, am I missing something? That price makes them $20-ish per ounce...is that a good price for these?

I guess if you like them and want to collect, and it's just a bonus that they are made of silver, but seems a bit too high for me for the content. Am I missing a numismatic value here?
    ASE Addict...but oh so poor!
  • Options
    I've got stacks of those things in various weights. Make sure thay are stamped .999 Fine Silver.

Avoid the gold plated ones.

Also, I never pay more than the going rate for .999 silver. Not worth it for the novelty.

For the right price, they are fine. Silver is silver.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That price makes them $20-ish per ounce...is that a good price for these >>

I would not pay over $2.50 above melt for these, although, the sellers have been getting $220+ for the proofs..
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

"FishyOne, am I missing something? That price makes them $20-ish per ounce...is that a good price for these?"

No, it's not a good price. The question was a general one about autheticating these as .999 silver w/o a cert.

I've got a couple already w/o the cert and wondered what you guys thought.

Thanks...........

• Options
    R.I.P.
    John
    Chance favors the prepared mind.
    imageimageimage