Home U.S. Coin Forum

Sit Back Folks, the Mint Releases 8-8-08 Double Prosperity Set August 1...yet another modern piece!!

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
United States Mint Releases 8-8-08 Double Prosperity Set August 1

Second Product in United States Celebration Series Features American Buffalo and American Eagle Gold Uncirculated Coins

Washington - The second special numismatic product in the United States Mint Celebration Series will be available for purchase beginning noon Eastern Time on August 1, 2008. The 8-8-08 Double Prosperity Set, priced at (TBD), features one 24-karat American Buffalo One-Half Ounce Gold Uncirculated Coin and one 22-karat American Eagle One-Half Ounce Gold Uncirculated Coin.

The United States Mint Celebration Series, launched in February 2008, is a new initiative to explore the feasibility of introducing various numismatic coin products that are packaged and positioned to celebrate special gift-giving occasions and celebratory events.

The number "8" is traditionally associated with prosperity in Asian cultures. The triple "8" date is highly significant as it occurs only once every 100 years.

The American Buffalo One-Half Ounce Gold Uncirculated Coin is one of the newly released fractional weight options in the expanded American Buffalo Coin Program. The coin bears the classic portrait of a Native American in profile on the obverse and the magnificent American Buffalo, or bison, on the reverse. Noted American sculptor James Earle Fraser, a student of Augustus Saint-Gaudens, originally prepared both images for the redesigned five-cent coin (nickel) released in 1913.

The American Eagle One-Half Ounce Gold Uncirculated Coin displays Augustus Saint-Gaudens' enduring full-length figure of Liberty with flowing hair, holding a torch in her right hand and an olive branch in her left. The coin's reverse, by Miley Busiek, bears the endearing image of a male eagle clutching an olive branch while soaring above a nest containing a female eagle and her hatchlings.

Both coins in the 8-8-08 Double Prosperity Set are legal tender with a nominal face value designation of $25. But their gold metal content and artistry make them worth far more. Inscriptions on the coins include the "W" mint mark for the United States Mint at West Point, the date, the fineness and the weight. The coins are packaged in an attractive hardwood box with a Certificate of Authenticity signed by United States Mint Director Ed Moy.

Customers may order the 8-8-08 Double Prosperity Set at the United States Mint's secure Web site at www.usmint.gov. Orders also may be placed at the toll-free number, 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468). Please add $4.95 shipping and handling fee to all domestic orders. There is no set product limit for the 8-8-08 Double Prosperity Set.

Note: To ensure that all members of the public have fair and equal access to United States Mint products, any order placed prior to the official on-sale date and time (August 1, 2008, at 12:00 noon ET) shall not be deemed accepted by the United States Mint and will not be honored.

Customer Service information: (800) USA MINT (872-6468)

Mint Link

Comments

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a bunch of Bovine manure ....
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shouldn't go on sale until August 8th, 2008, and then, it should be a 1 day only sale...limit of 8 per person and 8888 total mintage image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• moonshinemoonshine Posts: 1,039 ✭✭
    and surely jacked up in price by 888%

• lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960
    I knew this was just packaging, but I didn't realize it was the Mint's stated purpose!

"The United States Mint Celebration Series, launched in February 2008, is a new initiative to explore the feasibility of introducing various numismatic coin products that are packaged and positioned to celebrate special gift-giving occasions and celebratory events. "
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's trying to appeal to the asians. No joke.
    For gifts, etc, it is "ok" to spend some extra $$$.
    So, in this case, it IS all about the packaging (since the product (coins) actually hasn't changed and isn't special).

Now, if these had the Chinese symbol for luck, or even just 8, as part of the coin design, then it would be truly special and go through the rough.

This is another one that, without the packaging, you can't tell the difference.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about a special privy mark?
    A crescent moon is traditional.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • WalmannWalmann Posts: 2,806

<< <i>How about a special privy mark?
    A crescent moon is traditional.
    TD >>

The Mint doesn't need anymore ideas.

With all these threads on when gold hits $1000, probably in the not too distant future we will see a thread for which year will be the first for the Mint to release 1000 varities of coins.
  • Has the US Mint been taken over by the Canadian Mint?

Square coins, enameled coins, oddball commems, lucite paperweights, coins packaged in wood salvaged from the Titanic accompanied by a COA printed on ancient Egyptian papyrus.............oh the possibilities!

Look on the bright side, at least the customer service folks at the Canadian Mint are curteous, knowledgeable, and speak English clearly!

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

• BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Who buys this stuff? image

• << <i>Shouldn't go on sale until August 8th, 2008, and then, it should be a 1 day only sale...limit of 8 per person and 8888 total mintage image >>

image Good idea
    --->imageimageimageimage<---
  • LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Who buys this stuff? image >>

Not me but I do have some dollar bills that starts with 88888 on the serial #.image
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Not me but I do have some dollar bills that starts with 88888 on the serial #."

We have a large Asian workforce here and those bills would definitely bring some profit. Even more if one had eight 8's... Cheers, RickO
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"Not me but I do have some dollar bills that starts with 88888 on the serial #."

We have a large Asian workforce here and those bills would definitely bring some profit. Even more if one had eight 8's... Cheers, RickO >>

Give this link to your Asian workforce...the BEP needs the business

BEP Lucky Money
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • CaptainRonCaptainRon Posts: 1,189 ✭✭
    Well since 8-8 is my birthday, maybe I'll pick up the set.
  • Just out of curiosity, is there anything different about the 1/2oz gold coins included in this set vs. the regular collector issue coins?
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Different coin design, no. Different packaging and marketing angle, yes.
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just out of curiosity, is there anything different about the 1/2oz gold coins included in this set vs. the regular collector issue coins? >>

No sir.

You are buying a special hardwood box and special COA!!!

• << <i>Different coin design, no. Different packaging and marketing angle, yes. >>

Then I don't think it will be a winner. Had it had a different mint mark, say D or something, or had it been matte proof, then I could see some potential, but it appears to be the Premier set of gold coins. Goofy.
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Why do you think the opening of the Chinese Olympics is 8-8-08?.... Numerological superstition. Nothing wrong with the US Mint trying to make a few bucks, at least nobody's losing their home because of it.
  • LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>"Not me but I do have some dollar bills that starts with 88888 on the serial #."

We have a large Asian workforce here and those bills would definitely bring some profit. Even more if one had eight 8's... Cheers, RickO >>

Give this link to your Asian workforce...the BEP needs the business

BEP Lucky Money >>

Those are only 8888, mines are 88888 and I could sell them for $10 ea. to your asian workforce if they are interested.image
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

American Buffalo Gold Coins - proof and uncirculated, all denominations

So that's where all those backordered fractional Uncs are going, to the ANA in Baltimore!!!!!!!!

July 28, 2008

United States Mint Features New 8-8-08 Double Prosperity Set and More at ANA World’s Fair of Money® in Baltimore

Washington - There will be products galore at the United States Mint booth #152 at the American Numismatic Association (ANA) World's Fair of Money® July 30-August 3, 2008. It is a great time to purchase a special gift or add a new item to your collection.

Be among the first to get the 8-8-08 Double Prosperity Set, the latest product in the United States Mint Celebration Series, starting Friday, Aug. 1. The 8-8-08 Double Prosperity Set features one 24-karat American Buffalo One-Half Ounce Gold Uncirculated Coin and one 22-karat American Eagle One-Half Ounce Gold Uncirculated Coin.

Visitors to the United States Mint's booth can also purchase proof and uncirculated versions of 2008-dated American Eagle Gold and Platinum Coins and 24-karat American Buffalo Gold Coins. For American Eagle and American Buffalo Gold Coins, available options include one ounce ($50 denomination), one-half ounce ($25 denomination), one-quarter ounce ($10 denomination) and one-tenth ounce ($5 denomination) weights. Four-coin sets of each product, containing one coin in each weight, will also be on hand. This year is the first time American Buffalo Gold Coins are available in fractional weights.

The United States Mint's booth will carry an assortment of Presidential $1 Coin products and sets featuring the final quarters in the 50 State Quarters® Program. Available options include the 2008-dated Presidential $1 Coin Proof Set TM, the Presidential $1 Coin Uncirculated Set®, the United States Mint 50 State Quarters Proof SetTM and the United States Mint Uncirculated Coin Set®. Rolls of Presidential $1 Coins and the Arizona commemorative quarter-dollar coins also will be available.

Products available at the United States Mint booth include:

8-8-08 Double Prosperity Set
    American Buffalo Gold Coins - proof and uncirculated, all denominations
    American Eagle Platinum 10th Anniversary Set
    American Eagle Platinum and Gold Coins - proof and uncirculated, all denominations
    American Eagle Silver Proof Coin
    Arizona Quarter Two-Roll Set
    Bald Eagle Commemorative Coins - Proof and Uncirculated - Silver, Gold and Clad Coins
    Collecting America's Coins: Beginner Basics Set
    First Day Coin Covers - Oklahoma, New Mexico and Arizona
    First Spouse Gold Proof and Uncirculated Coins and Bronze Medals - all released to date
    Golden Dollar featuring Sacagawea and Kennedy Half-Dollar Rolls
    United States Mint Proof Set®
    United States Mint 50 State Quarters Proof SetTM
    United States Mint Silver Proof SetTM
    United States Mint 50 State Quarters Silver Proof SetTM
    United States Mint Uncirculated Coin Set®
    Assorted Presidential $1 Coin Products* - including the Presidential $1 Coin Proof SetTM, Presidential $1 Coin Uncirculated Set®, United States Mint Presidential $1 Coin Historical Signature SetTM, United States Mint Presidential $1 Coins-Individual Proof Coins, First Day Coin Covers, and 25 -Coin Rolls (P&D)
    Assorted Bronze Medals - including Tuskegee Airmen, Byron Nelson, Dalai Lama and Michael DeBakey
    Presidential Medals Album

United States Mint products also may be purchased online at www.usmint.gov or by calling 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468). Hearing- and speech-impaired customers with TTY equipment may order by calling 1-888-321-MINT (6468).

*Note: Coins featured in these products may vary.

Mint Link

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Just out of curiosity, is there anything different about the 1/2oz gold coins included in this set vs. the regular collector issue coins? >>

No sir.

You are buying a special hardwood box and special COA!!! >>

$113.08 for the packaging.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

Not my cup of tea!!!!!

Mint Link
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Different coin design, no. Different packaging and marketing angle, yes. >>

Then I don't think it will be a winner. Had it had a different mint mark, say D or something, or had it been matte proof, then I could see some potential, but it appears to be the Premier set of gold coins. Goofy. >>

The Matte Proof would have been very cool!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 1,039 ✭✭
    nice looking set, but I would need to be prosperous to purchase it - and no doubt, it is severely ovepriced like the rest of their items.

I am weaning myself from US Mint purchases.

• Let's see. $619.95 for Proof, $539.95 for MS. That means it's about fifty bucks extra for the box. Nice box. image

Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Isn't that box the one that usually comes with those Chinese Chrome Steel balls?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file