Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How does one track USPS Insured Mail?

USPS Insured Mail tag # for $200 & under?

I tried thru their website under "track and confirm" but get "Delivery status information is not available for your item via this web site."

Is there another website where one can track this?

TIA

TC71

Comments

• Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    May not be a USPS tracking number, try UPS, DHS or FEDEX.
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭

<< <i>May not be a USPS tracking number, try UPS, DHS or FEDEX. >>

it IS USPS, I mailed the item myself. Here is the insured mail # 1307 2390 0001 3618 4941.

Go try and plug it into the usps website.........

TC71

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you mailed it within the past day or so, those results are not uncommon.

Registered, Express, Priority and Certified get the tracking priority.
  • Options
    erroiderroid Posts: 795
    Only the PO can track it; take your # to your PO and they'll give you the info.
    John G Bradley II
  • Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't track just insured mail
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Can't track just insured mail >>

So I just hope that it shows up at its destination?

• Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

So I just hope that it shows up at its destination? >>

Your item may, or may not be scanned at the point of entry. The only other scan is at the delivery point. It will scan as "attempted' or 'delivered'.
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭

Exactly, unless the shipper purchased "Delivery Confirmation" which has tracking.
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

So I just hope that it shows up at its destination? >>

thats what delivery confirmation is For
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Only the PO can track it; take your # to your PO and they'll give you the info. >>

That seems to be the advantage of printing out postage online--it is trackable. But they don't scan it much. --Jerry
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    In theory, insured packages are tracked internally by the USPS and if provided that #, they can find its last location.
    In reality, there is a fee at the counter if they so choose to enforce it and they're not supposed to let you see the printout. There is an 800 # to call and they can often find the package if it's overdue and just misplaced. The call has always been my best shot at unclogging the bureaucracy.
    Also, if you buy postage online and drop it in a pickup box there is a good chance that the package never gets scanned until it is delivered.
    All learned from practical experience.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Exactly, unless the shipper purchased "Delivery Confirmation" which has tracking. >>

If you use both services the accepting PO may or may not scan both. Unless you are satisfying a PayPal requirement I would not waste $$$ on DC unless its free or almost free. If you purchase insurance you will have a tracking mechanism if needed; its just not as easy to get the info.
  • Options
    JBTurnerJBTurner Posts: 72 ✭✭
    The only trackable USPS mail is Express mail. If mailed with USPS Express mail (Domestic or International) the tracking number starts with "ER" if Domestic.. any other type of USPS mailing is NOT trackable externaly or internaly.

USPS Priority mail = Not trackable.

USPS First Class mail = Not trackable

USPS Insured mail = Not trackable unless it is Express mail.

USPS Delivery Confirmation = Not trackable

USPS Certified = Not trackable.

USPS Express mail = ONLY trackable mail service USPS has. It starts at a little over $16.

• Options
    pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    As others have said, the post office worker behind the counter can look up an insurance number for you, but you can't do it yourself. I suggest getting insurance and delivery confirmation from now on.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a piece of the seat of my postman's pants. When I need my items tracked, I send the dog out.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As others have said, the post office worker behind the counter can look up an insurance number for you, but you can't do it yourself. I suggest getting insurance and delivery confirmation from now on. >>

Why? 99 times out of 100 DC will be a wasted expense if you have insurance so why throw money away? The 1 time there is an issue just go to the PO and have them do the tracking off the ins number.
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>The only trackable USPS mail is Express mail. If mailed with USPS Express mail (Domestic or International) the tracking number starts with "ER" if Domestic.. any other type of USPS mailing is NOT trackable externaly or internaly.

USPS Express mail = ONLY trackable mail service USPS has. It starts at a little over $16. >>

Ummm, that's totally false...USPS priority mail is trackable, I always use insured with signature confirmation and it shows every step of the way....

Heres one I just sent:Label/Receipt Number: 2306 1570 0000 7504 0914
    Detailed Results:

Delivered, July 10, 2008, 4:38 pm, WEST SPRINGFIELD, MA 01089
    Notice Left, July 09, 2008, 9:52 am, WEST SPRINGFIELD, MA 01089
    Arrival at Unit, July 09, 2008, 3:38 am, WEST SPRINGFIELD, MA 01089
    Processed, July 08, 2008, 7:55 pm, SPRINGFIELD, MA 01152
    Processed, July 07, 2008, 10:35 pm, ROMULUS, MI 48174
    Acceptance, July 07, 2008, 9:36 am, GROSSE POINTE, MI 48236

More detail shows name of person signing for the package...
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    JBTurnerJBTurner Posts: 72 ✭✭
    That is not "tracking" that is giving you a status of the item (different than tracking)

http://faq.usps.com/eCustomer/iq/usps/request.do?create=kb:USPSFAQ&view()=c{04b24690-57e2-11dc-51b6-000000000000}

Look under "Notes"

"Regular mail, such as First Class Mail or Priority Mail cannot be tracked"

Registered mail cannot be tracked either.

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Registered mail cannot be tracked either.

I just found that out - A registered mail package was sent to me from Kansas last week. I would input the number into USPS Web site every day and all it would say is that it had left the KS post office. Then, it just showed up yesterday.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In theory, insured packages are tracked internally by the USPS and if provided that #, they can find its last location.
    In reality, there is a fee at the counter if they so choose to enforce it and they're not supposed to let you see the printout. >>

I've never paid a fee, and they've always printed it out and given me a copy.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>Registered mail cannot be tracked either.

I just found that out - A registered mail package was sent to me from Kansas last week. I would input the number into USPS Web site every day and all it would say is that it had left the KS post office. Then, it just showed up yesterday. >>

I've had the USPS find a 'returned as undeliverable' Reggie for me. Told me exactly where it was and got it back a couple of days thereafter.
  • Options

<< <i><< The only trackable USPS mail is Express mail. If mailed with USPS Express mail (Domestic or International) the tracking number starts with "ER" if Domestic.. any other type of USPS mailing is NOT trackable externaly or internaly.

USPS Express mail = ONLY trackable mail service USPS has. It starts at a little over $16. >>

Ummm, that's totally false...USPS priority mail is trackable, I always use insured with signature confirmation and it shows every step of the way.... >>

Actually, you're both correct. While it is not required by postal regulation, DC, SC, Registered, etc are sometimes scanned in at each step which has the effect of creating tracking.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>In theory, insured packages are tracked internally by the USPS and if provided that #, they can find its last location.
    In reality, there is a fee at the counter if they so choose to enforce it and they're not supposed to let you see the printout. >>

I've never paid a fee, and they've always printed it out and given me a copy.

Russ, NCNE >>

Rusty, they're supposed to charge you the signature confirmation fee if you want proof of an over $200. insured package delivery. I've never been charged either but the policy is out there. When I've inquired at the counter about tracking misdirected packages, they will tell me what the printout says but will not show it to me.
  • Options

<< <i>When I've inquired at the counter about tracking misdirected packages, they will tell me what the printout says but will not show it to me. >>

I guess my clerks like me. They give me the copy.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭
    From the USPS website:

USPS.com makes it easy to verify the delivery status of your mailing. Use the links to learn more about Track & Confirm products and services.

Tracking
    Express Mail®
    Global Express Guaranteed®
    Express Mail International®
    Priority Mail® International

Confirming
    Delivery Confirmation™
    Signature Confirmation™
    Certified Mail™
    Registered Mail™

Proof of Delivery
    Express Mail®
    Signature Confirmation™
    Return Receipt (Electronic)

I think part of the confusion lies in determining just what it is exactly that people mean by "tracking".
  • Options
    Find horse & rider!!!!!!!!!!! I have never had any luck.
  • Options
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2017 6:01AM

I have no clue what all this thread is about. ANY package I send by Priority or First Class Package (now FC Parcel) is able to be tracked to its destination and show where delivery was made. It shows each scan point along the route. There is no additional charge for this service. Also, in an informal survey I did, 90% of First Class packages take the same time to get to their destination as Priority.

From the USPS:

USPS First Class Package Service is a fast, cost-effective way to ship lightweight packages weighing up to 15.99 ounces to any U.S. destination. For lightweight packages, First Class Package Service offers greater cost savings compared to Priority Mail and Parcel Select Ground (formerly known as Parcel Post). The mail class also offers fast, nationwide delivery in three days or less, closely matching the speed of Priority Mail. Deliveries can be shipped to any U.S. address, PO Box, and many APO/FPO/DPO destinations. USPS Tracking is included for free and the USPS offers several package pick-up programs.

The number that the OP provided is not a valid tracking number.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Things may have been different in 2008 when this thread originated...

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Make sure you type you tracking number in the proper sequence ( spaces or no spaces) or you can go to the post office and they will run the tracking number for you.

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:
    Things may have been different in 2008 when this thread originated...

You're friggin kidding me. I didn't notice the date and why would anyone revive a thread that is nine years outdated >:)

Of course tracking was different then. Lame....

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Suggest you review the date of the last post before making a comment. Almost a 10 year old post & time does not stand still, including the PO.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep...old thread... tracking now available...use it all the time when shipping packages. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Rich49Rich49 Posts: 189 ✭✭✭

Priority is insured up to $50 at N/C

photo index.gif

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going to go ahead and update this for when it is bumped again in 10 years....:
    Tracking and up to $500 insurance is now included for free when you select the "teleport" option.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

Resurrected zombie threads like this crack me up.

There was no tracking with the Pony Express or the slow boat to China either.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 28, 2017 2:41AM

@Wolf359 said:
    Registered Mail can also be tracked.

The registered mail number, usually ending in US does provide on-line tracking. If you purchase the extra "electronic return receipt" option you, Ebay and PayPal can also view an-online PDF copy of the signature in the event signature confirmation is required.

Ebay and paypal seller protection require proof of delivery that can be viewed on-line by them. For this reason a seller wants to be sure he purchases tracking (free with Paypal generated labels) or signature confirmation if required.

The receipt provided by the counter clerk will have a number on it but unless it is Registered or tracking was purchased or included the number will not satisfy seller protection requirements. Not all numbers on PO receipts provide a tracking feature.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file