Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Oath Dollar ...

Did anyone see the guys on HSN last night selling Oath dollars for $79.99? I missed the beginning but aren't they just regular presidential dollars with the presidential oath written on the ANACS case? Is this one of the craziest things out there? Am I missing something?

Chris

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oath it!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    There are 4 different Presidential Oath dollars for 2007. They were minted at the Denver Mint only. The coins are the first 4 Presidents in business strike. the mintage is 1000 coins for each of the first 4 Commander and Chief.s . The 2007D coins have been encased in a ring or "collar" made of aluminum. On this collar is struck "Preserve , Protect and Defend the Constitution of the United States" . These coins were only available physically at the Denver Mint location only. The coins that were sold on HSN were MS-65 or MS-66 and were graded by ANACS. I don't know if 2008 coins will will struck.

BBD
    BBD
  • Options
    Commander In Chief- not Commander and chiefs....then again, you may be right... Respectfully, John Curlis
  • Options
    It's definitely Commanders in Chief.

Anyways, this one sold on eBay in June for $120. It may not be that outrageous.
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    ca0100000ca0100000 Posts: 362 ✭✭
    Hope the link works. HSN Price: $79.95 Item: 356-093
    http://www.hsn.com/cnt/prod/zoom/zoom_viewer.aspx?main_img=356093&webp_id=4174520

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ridiculous... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Does anyone know if 2008,s will be minted??
    BBD
    BBD
  • Options
  • Options
    I hope the 2008 get minted. I know some people are screaming about these coins.....if there is a place in the market and from the ebay results so far there is definately a demand, then these coins have no where to go but up up up!!!!!

So all the upity coin snobs can say what they want, these coins are very well made, very beautiful and very patriotic and apparently the market agree's with me!!!!! Keep your eye on these babies!!

PS: If anyone wants to get rid of this "gimmik" coins. E-mail me at klk134@yahoo.com. I will gladly purchase them from you! Especially a Washington if you have one.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>These coins were only available physically at the Denver Mint location only. >>

What?

I have been to the Denver Mint store in 2007 and never saw these?

Exactly what kind of BS is being marketed here?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's definitely Commanders in Chief.

Anyways, this one sold on eBay in June for $120. It may not be that outrageous. >>

I believe that it would be correct with these well-placed hyphens, thusly: Commanders-in-Chief.

If it really is a mint product with such low production, it could be pretty cool.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It's definitely Commanders in Chief.

Anyways, this one sold on eBay in June for $120. It may not be that outrageous. >>

I believe that it would be correct with these well-placed hyphens, thusly: Commanders-in-Chief.

If it really is a mint product with such low production, it could be pretty cool. >>

This is not a US Mint product.

This is an aftermarket product sold with curious wording to "imply" that this is a US Mint product. I would bet that the outer ring is aluminum that has been added in much the same fashion as the old "Good Luck" cents that were available in the 50's and exactly the same as this:

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>This is not a US Mint product. >>

<< <i>This is an aftermarket product sold with curious wording to "imply" that this is a US Mint product >>

Was this ring added by the US Denver mint or a third party such as the Franklin Mint or Crazy Joe's Kool Koins?

If the Denver mint added this... wouldn't that make it a US minted coin?
  • Options
    These coins could only be purchased at the Denver Mint Gift Shop. Now that does not mean that the coins encapsulation was done at the Mint, at the very least it does imply that the US Mint sanctioned these coins in some way or they would not have sold them at the Mint.

Even if they are not official mint coins, the market doesn't seem to care since one was just recently for around 115.00 and three were sold today around 80.00 dollars each. The market determs the value of coins, not peoples opinions!
  • Options
    When I first posted this message I thought this was some kind of crazy marketing stunt .... and I still believe that. I just cannot believe that this is a US Mint sanctioned product.
  • Options
    Wikyva, I am there with you and I am trying to get some more info. I know there is an article about these coins in Coin World Magazine, I just haven't picked up my copy yet. I am anxious to read the article and hear what their take on these coins are.
  • Options
    The Denver Mint Gift Shop also sells Lincolns in a bottle but this does not mean these are US Mint Products only a product sold at the Gift Shop.

The Denver Mint also Sells Coinage Type Sets such as a Barber Half, Walking Liberty Half, Franklin half and a Kennedy Half Dollar in a neat package but this does not mean this is a US Mint Product.

Same with the Post Cards abnd the coffee mugs and all the other "stuff" you can buy.

I believe these were not (other than the coin) "made" at the Denver Mint, sinply sold there.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    USAROKUSAROK Posts: 887 ✭✭✭
    According to the July 28, 2008 issue of Coin World the contractor, Aramark, which runs the US Mint Gift Shops in Philadelphia and Denver had the dollars encased in the aluminum rings by Penny Press Mint of Spanish Fork, Utah to sell as souvenirs at the gift shops. They sold for $4.99 and $5.99 depending on when they were purchased.
  • Options

<< <i>According to the July 28, 2008 issue of Coin World the contractor, Aramark, which runs the US Mint Gift Shops in Philadelphia and Denver had the dollars encased in the aluminum rings by Penney Press Mint of Spanish Fork, Utah to sell as souvenirs at the gift shops. They sold for $4.99 and $5.99 depending on when they were purchased. >>

Thank You.

This proves that these are not a US Mint Product!

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Of course, this means those folks that bought these for $115 when they could have been had for $5.99 might get a little pissed.....................

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    I'd like to know how ANACS graded the coins MS-65 or MS-66 if they couldn't see the edge lettering since the aluminum ring covers the lettering?
    BTW, I've got the Adams , Jefferson, and Adams coins. They are a pretty cool conversation pieces. I'd love to get the Washington coin. If anyone knows where one can be located, please E-Mail me.

BBD
    E-Mail JFowlerwb@hotmail.com
    BBD
  • Options
    Adams,Jefferson and Madison that is ^^
    BBd
    BBD
  • Options
    edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388
    Contact The Penny Press to get your own dollar coin encasements made, then get 'em slabbed for big bucks!
  • Options
    good point edix.
    TY BBD
    BBD
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    How do I know that I don't have missing edge lettering on the prezzie in the aluminum ring?

Let me rephrase that...

I'm sure that my president in the aluminum ring is missing edge lettering!

• Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825

<< <i>I'd like to know how ANACS graded the coins MS-65 or MS-66 if they couldn't see the edge lettering since the aluminum ring covers the lettering? >>

Not to be a cynic, but didn't IGC and ANACS just trade staff? Didn't old IGC slab about anything for anyone if the price was right?

• Options
    nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    I agree with 19lyds on this one.

If it's put out by the Mint shop, it's no different than the Mint putting pennies in a bottle.

I can't say much good about ANACS slabbing these though.

They are (or were) a legitimate service, and by slabbing these, they give them credibility.

I'm surprised they would sell their reputation so cheaply.

Dan
  • Options
    I have a couple of very nice problem coins in my collection that I want to have encapsulated. Seeing this atrocity just convinced me to send them to DGS instead of ANACS. Seriously.
    "College men from LSU- went in dumb, come out dumb too..."
    -Randy Newmanimage
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    What a load of bison dung.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm ashamed to admit it, but I'd never even heard of an "Oath dolllar" until just this moment. image

It's amazing how quickly I fall behind the curve when it comes to moderns.

Neat lookin' things.

Edit- oh, I see- it's an encasement. Duh. image

No wonder I was clueless.

Well, they're neat, but ... eighty bucks?!? Sheesh!

Five, six, seven bucks... OK. Eighty bucks, fuhgeddaboutit.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ANAC'S should have never graded these coins. Kinda pisses me off, no it really pisses me off. I just lost about 50% of my loyalty to that grading service. I admit I bought 3 of the 4 coins in question, I guess I should send them back. Do any of you guys think keeping these coins will benefit me in 10 years? Please help me with this one.........
    Thanks
    BBD
    BBD
  • Options
    edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388
    Send 'em back.
    You can make your very own Oath Dollars for about $3.33 a piece using Penny Press Mint, which includes die charges and per cost encasement of 300 Presidential dollars -- coins included.
    If you join the dues-free Encased Collectors International club, you can probably get a deeper discount from PPM.
    What a rip-off, eh?

BTW -- "Encasing" a coin severely detracts from its numismatic value. Coin collectors call that "post-mint damage", as the aluminum ring is squeezed around the coin to secure it, thus causing damage to the rim.
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    These should have been described as "lucky tokens" but putting a grade on them is extremely misleading as such coins are permanently damaged.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file