Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Expelled from the ANA

RYKRYK Posts: 35,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
If someone is expelled from the ANA (and therefore, no longer a member), can an active member learn the details of the expulsion? Or is it a private matter?

Comments

• Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    the ANA might be a good place to ask, but Id be willing to bet cashish that they wouldn't disclose any reasons for the same reason workplaces dont ever tell why someone was fired.
    fear of a lawsuit for sullying someone's reputation.
  • Options
    They publish a short blurb in the Numismatist about the expulsion. Years ago a YN was expelled along with his mom for "failure to pay ANA Library fines in excess of $200."

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If someone is expelled from the ANA (and therefore, no longer a member), can an active member learn the details of the expulsion? Or is it a private matter? >>

Have "someone" in mind???
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They publish a short blurb in the Numismatist about the expulsion. Years ago a YN was expelled along with his mom for "failure to pay ANA Library fines in excess of $200."

Cameron Kiefer >>

I guess you wouldn't be expelled for false advertising or selling overgraded problem coins??
    this is a real question, not sarcasm.

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They publish a short blurb in the Numismatist about the expulsion. Years ago a YN was expelled along with his mom for "failure to pay ANA Library fines in excess of $200."

Yes, and life-member dealers stealing tens of thousands of dollars from hobbyists is not as serious. Those people remain members....and apparently steer clear of the Library.

If you ever intend to bring up a complaint against an ANA member, insure that if you aren't a member than you sign up quickly then bring up your complaint. As a rule, they do not care about non-members who have been cheated.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>They publish a short blurb in the Numismatist about the expulsion. Years ago a YN was expelled along with his mom for "failure to pay ANA Library fines in excess of $200."

Cameron Kiefer >>

I guess you wouldn't be expelled for false advertising or selling overgraded problem coins??
    this is a real question, not sarcasm. >>

A few years ago they expelled Ken Pines for selling "whizzed, altered, cleaned....etc coins" The list had about 15 things he was expelled for. So yes they will.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    LINK

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I appreciate the courtesy of a reply, Cameron.

I noticed that was 4.5 years ago, but I gained a little more
    respect for the ANA after reading that.
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For what it's worth, in the current issue two people are listed as expelled:
    1) James G. Holt, Crescent City CA. Expelled for indebtedness to the ANA in the amount of $1,044.95 for unreturned library materials
    2) Kevin McNerney, dba Island Rarities, Boca Raton, FL Expelled for failure to respond to a formal mediation complaint.

Assuming that Mr. Holt did not borrow an exceedingly rare item, my thought is that $1,044.95 is a lot of unreturned library materials!
    Mark

• Options
    I am pleased that the Library is being utilized. Respectfully, John Curlis
  • Options
    John:

However, according to the ANA thanks to Mr. Holt apparently there is less library to utilitze. image
    Mark

• Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    If someone is expelled from the ANA (and therefore, no longer a member), can an active member learn the details of the expulsion? Or is it a private matter?

When I saw the title to your post, before reading the text, I was wondering how you got yourself into trouble...

A few years ago they expelled Ken Pines for selling "whizzed, altered, cleaned....etc coins" The list had about 15 things he was expelled for. So yes they will.

And not surprisingly, Coin World didn't think it newsworthy enough to cover.
  • Options
    Sometimes my appreciation of British humor and attempts to mimic the art fail, as in this case.imageRespectfully, John Curlis
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really hate the word utilitze....
  • Options

<< <i> If someone is expelled from the ANA (and therefore, no longer a member), can an active member learn the details of the expulsion? Or is it a private matter?

When I saw the title to your post, before reading the text, I was wondering how you got yourself into trouble... >>

I wrote it that way to draw people like you in. image
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    I always read that section of the Numismatist, just as I always read the Police log in my small town paper. If a neighbor of mine is doing something shady, I want to know about it.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sometimes my appreciation of British humor and attempts to mimic the art fail, as in this case.imageRespectfully, John Curlis >>

In that case, shouldn't the word have been spelled utilised?
  • Options
    Actually, no.imageRespectfully, John Curlis
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭
    >>.....attempts to mimic the art fail, as in this case>>>

merely a flesh wound my friend

greg

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

And not surprisingly, Coin World didn't think it newsworthy enough to cover. >>

They cannot bite the hand that feeds their advert revenue. I bought several Civil War era coins from Ken Pines once, returned them all, they were not BU as adverted.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A few years ago they expelled Ken Pines for selling "whizzed, altered, cleaned....etc coins" The list had about 15 things he was expelled for. So yes they will. >>

Technically, he was expelled for not answering an ANA letter giving him the opportunity to answer the numerous complaints against his business practices.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about expelled from PNG?

Good one CCU image.

K
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Cameron Kiefer >>

you will quickly find out the ANA is a toothless old mutt.
    the coin hobby is what it is because of their weakness to police
    their own members.
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Cameron Kiefer >>

you will quickly find out the ANA is a toothless old mutt.
    their own members. >>

However, the real mission of the board is adhered to religiously - the collecting of dues and spending them fast and having nothing to show for it.

• Options

<< <i>you will quickly find out the ANA is a toothless old mutt.
    their own members.

However, the real mission of the board is adhered to religiously - the collecting of dues and spending them fast and having nothing to show for it. >>

Are you guys fixin' to be part of the solution?
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am pleased that the Library is being utilized. Respectfully, John Curlis >>

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Hmmmm......

I see where a member here had his reinstatement denied according to the current Numismatist.

Is that what you're curious about RYK?
  • Options
    GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

If you ever intend to bring up a complaint against an ANA member, insure that if you aren't a member than you sign up quickly then bring up your complaint. As a rule, they do not care about non-members who have been cheated.

roadrunner >>

And you adopt every single homeless pet?
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Larry will be a huge plus for the ANA. It will take time .... and help.

I do adopt some homeless pets.

K
  • Options

<< <i>Hmmmm......

I see where a member here had his reinstatement denied according to the current Numismatist.

Is that what you're curious about RYK? >>

I saw that in the current Numismatist. I wonder why he was expelled.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I always read that section of the Numismatist, just as I always read the Police log in my small town paper. If a neighbor of mine is doing something shady, I want to know about it. >>

When I lived in Sidney, O. back in the mid-70's, the small-town police log was hilarious. They printed EVERY call, such as one from a lady who complained that children were getting field corn from the field near her house and throwing it at her windows.

Here in Chicago, garden variety single murders sometimes don't make it into the papers.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BloodManBloodMan Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>For what it's worth, in the current issue two people are listed as expelled:
    1) James G. Holt, Crescent City CA. Expelled for indebtedness to the ANA in the amount of $1,044.95 for unreturned library materials
    2) Kevin McNerney, dba Island Rarities, Boca Raton, FL Expelled for failure to respond to a formal mediation complaint. >>

About 6 years ago, I purchased several double eagles from Kevin McNerney when he had a New York address. He seemed honest at the time.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If someone is expelled from the ANA (and therefore, no longer a member), can an active member learn the details of the expulsion? Or is it a private matter? >>

A liitle late getting caught up on gossip imageimageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hmmmm......

Is that what you're curious about RYK? >>

He he ha ha heh heh........image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I always read that section of the Numismatist, just as I always read the Police log in my small town paper. If a neighbor of mine is doing something shady, I want to know about it. >>

When I lived in Sidney, O. back in the mid-70's, the small-town police log was hilarious. They printed EVERY call, such as one from a lady who complained that children were getting field corn from the field near her house and throwing it at her windows.

Here in Chicago, garden variety single murders sometimes don't make it into the papers.

TD >>

My favorite police log here was a few winters ago when some lady called the police to complain about a car driving back and forth "in a suspicious manner" in a local parking lot.

It was the snowplow.
  • Options
    CCU:

That behavior would have been suspicious as hell if you (and the caller) lived near me in Florida!
    Mark

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>For what it's worth, in the current issue two people are listed as expelled:
    2) Kevin McNerney, dba Island Rarities, Boca Raton, FL Expelled for failure to respond to a formal mediation complaint. >>

About 6 years ago, I purchased several double eagles from Kevin McNerney when he had a New York address. He seemed honest at the time. >>

There was a Kevin McNerney who was affiliated with Numistrust.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what would get somebody thrown out, and especially reinstatement denied? Doesn't sound too pretty.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I toss all of my back issues after a few sessions on the crapper. Speaking of which, that back page column has really gone south.

I would think someone could find an answer in past issues.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My favorite police log here was a few winters ago when some lady called the police to complain about a car driving back and forth "in a suspicious manner" in a local parking lot.

It was the snowplow. >>

Now THAT'S funny! image

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am aware of a very recent incident that could result in an expulsion, pending review by the ANA board. However, I do not know who is involved, and those that know aren't telling (at this time).

• Options
    I am not pointing any fingers or singling anyone out. I am mostly interested in the reasons why someone might get the boot from the ANA, and how one discovers the history of these dismissals. My guess is that the range of reasons may vary from things quite trivial to very substantial, and given the climate of the ANA, could be politically motivated, as well.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did not renew my membership last month. Is this grounds for expulsion , excommunicaton or am I just dis-membered ? And if I renew, will I be re-membered ?
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I didn't even know they had this section in the Numismatist. I need to check it out
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was it in the June issue? If so, I cannot find it.
  • Options

<< <i>I didn't even know they had this section in the Numismatist. I need to check it out >>

It's near the back.

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    There aren't expulsions reported every month. If there are any, it follows the listing of new members by state.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting thread to read.

I can't add anything about the ANA.

However, on the topic of Police Logs/Blotters being published in local papers, for your reading pleasure, I suggest that you get a copy of the "Pinecone" and read the Police Log/Blotter published in it. The "Pinecone" is the newspaper published in Carmel By The Sea, California. Carmel is the home of Clint Eastwood and numerous others with big bucks. Lots of senior citizens also. A tourist mecca and fun place to visit. The residents can be very demanding and like most small towns, very interested in what everyone else is doing. A well developed grapevine on which can be heard lots of scuttlebut. The residents also like their own privacy. The local police department is very sensitive to the wants and desires of the residents for discretion and for information about what is happening in the community. This results in some hilarious reports in the Police Log/Blotter.

The "Pinecone" may be online. If so, Google it, spend a few minutes with the Police Log/Blotter and have a few laughs.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>2) Kevin McNerney, dba Island Rarities, Boca Raton, FL Expelled for failure to respond to a formal mediation complaint. >>

There's a familiar name. Among other things, he started NTC.

Russ, NCNE

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file