Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Most money you spent on one coin?

2»

Comments

• Options
    BRdudeBRdude Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    $500 for a VF large cent that was bodybagged by pcgs for "waxed". I took it back to the dealer aandgot my money back. It was a cool coin, 1802 with 3 errors. Always wondered if I shudda kept itimage
    AKA kokimoki
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed
    Join the NRA and protect YOUR right to keep and bear arms
    To protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not soundness of heart. Theodore Roosevelt
    [L]http://www.ourfallensoldier.com/ThompsonMichaelE_MemorialPage.html[L]
  • Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $900.00
    ~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's the coin I'm rebuilding my collection around:

• Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    $5. Can you tell I'm new? LOL! Most of my collection has been pulled from change. I'm actually on the very LOW end of the income spectrum, and I have another hobby that still outranks this one, so I can't see me going much higher. I currently have a personally imposed max of what I would ever spend on a single coin, and that's $100.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960
    Sadly, my most expensive coin, um I mean bullion, was $975 (X2) when I bought the 10th anniversary platinum set last year.

As for actual coins, probably in the $200 range. But I'm working on being more patient so I can buy better coins!
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm with you RYK. These suckers are expensive.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    250K - the dealers that won't talk to me don't know that, so keep it quiet. image

I'm glad to live in the era of high-res pics - makes it easy to enjoy while it's at the bank. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    mrcommem, that's a wonderful 54-D Three. It is the only one I have ever seen with full denticles.

<< <i>image >>

• Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

$ 44k

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Frankly I am rather particularly surprised that people that would not likely share how much their houses costs, or what their automobile cost, would share what their most expensive coin cost.image >>

What you paid for your house is a matter of public record if one wants to take the time to look it up. Not sure why it should be public record but it is.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    The most I have ever paid for a coin is about $600.00 - I have bought several for around that price - many of them are now worth double or triple that amount.

• Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $1050 for a 16 d Mercury dime graded VG8 by ANACS...
  • Options
    coinandcurrency242coinandcurrency242 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭
    a whole $55 for a 1834 bust half!!

Positive BST as a seller: Namvet69, Lordmarcovan, Bigjpst, Soldi, mustanggt, CoinHoader, moursund, SufinxHi, al410, JWP

• Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Tooo much for this one:

But it's about to be surpassed, as soon as I can find it's gorgeous sister from the year before image
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont know I'am still buying. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

<< <i>I think it is nobodies business, save my wife, how much I spent on a coin.image >>

Lighten up Francis! BTW....Does the wife really know? image
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $4500.00 for a PCGS XF45 Draped Bust dollar. I sold it for $4100.00. I just bought my second most expensive coin three days ago on the Heritage live auction. I paid $1600.00 for a 1915 Barber Half.

Tyler
  • Options

<< <i>This dollar. The haze around the shield is an artifact of imaging, it's fully struck there.

image >>

WOW!!! Love it!image
    "College men from LSU- went in dumb, come out dumb too..."
    -Randy Newmanimage
  • Options
    I've spent $300-ish three times. Looks like I'm small potatoes in these parts!

I probably need to work on quality over quantity, too.
    Positive BST Transactions: LincolnsRule (2), zkcoins(1), bsb (1), MS67PLUS (2), SNMAN (1), robb (1)

"The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows." - Frank Zappa
  • Options
    $1950 with juice for a 1919 SLQ PCGS MS65 FH Full Strike.
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>I hate these questions because a certain percentage of people love big coin collectors and the remaining percentage resent them.

It's my oft labeled "Proletariat/Boshevist" lynch mob. They love seeing the coins in shows but don't BUY one and post it! image

181K...not as much as ol'd Sunnywood paid. image >>

Were there tiny beads of sweat on your forehead as you pulled the trigger on that one Jay? Or was it more of a "cool as a cucumber" experience?

By the way, I dont loathe big coin collectors. I just loathe snotty attitudes from people with big money. You are not one of those people.
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    I was crossing my fingers to get it. It's up to $325K now....one year later. image

Thanks for realizing that spending big $$ isn't what turns me on. Great coins do, and I could easily have 100 Saints with the money I have in a dozen. It's about owning coins that had to have been owned by a very select group of "survivors". Anyway, I don't own them.

I'm renting them. image
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sunnywood...

That's an amazing coin...regardless of the date and mintmark...just stunning.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The most money I spent on a coin is a lot more gratifying than the least amount I've spent on one. That's for sure !
  • Options
    Time and money should be included here.

3 years was the most time, the money was nowhere near that investment.
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    You might get more responces if you put this in a poll. Some people might not want to post their highest spent amount on a single coin.

-David
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somewhere in the neighborhood of $350, I think. The most I've spent on a single transaction was around $600. I'm pretty sure this coin is the record-holder, if not it's certainly in the top 5:

Luckily, I have a much different answer to the "most money you've sold one coin for" question. image

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    compromonedascompromonedas Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

54G for this piece of copper

Keithimage
  • Options
    veryfineveryfine Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    Keith,
    That is one unbelievably amazing chain cent.
  • Options
    The most I've ever spent on a coin is $7500 for a 1913 PCGS PR67CAM 25c.

I sold the coin for $12000. It's the best I've ever made out on a coin.

Don't ask me the most I've ever lost on a coin though.
  • Options

<< <i>Most money you spent on one coin? >>

489K.

Who is John Galt?
  • Options
    The most I've paid for a single coin was for the lowest graded coin in my type collection (so far). $3,300 for a 1796 Liberty Cap large cent graded VF35 by PCGS.
    Bob
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the 1875-S $20 PCGS MS-67 back in 1998.

I have indicated numerous times here how much I paid for it.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,893 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Most money you spent on one coin? >>

489K. >>

ah come on...whats the coin?
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    About $550 on this:
  • Options

<< <i>ah come on...whats the coin? >>

Husak-Oswald S-67.

Who is John Galt?
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would tell you what I paid for the house too but I'm not really sure with all the law suits, construction defects and subsequent repairs. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,893 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>ah come on...whats the coin? >>

Husak-Oswald S-67. >>

I have not followed the legacy of those names closely auctionwise. What is the coin itself? Thanks,
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

<< <i>I have not followed the legacy of those names closely auctionwise. What is the coin itself? Thanks, >>

It is a 1794 large cent.

Who is John Galt?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file