Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My BBCE care package has arrived Live Rip

Nothing like a nice box of stuff from bbce to make your day a little better. Here's what we've got.
1-1977 Wax Pack
1-1978 Wax Pack
1-1979 Wax Tray
1-1980 Wax Pack
1-1981 Wax Pack
1-1982 Wax Box
1-1983 Wax Pack
1-1984 Wax Pack
1-1985 Wax Pack
1-1986 Wax Box
1-1989 UD Low Series Box

Since the 1986 box will be the least exciting I'll start with that.

Comments

• Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

Lets see them!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Goodsport40Goodsport40 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭
    Let 'er rip!

Good luck!

Robert
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    nice!!

good luck
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    Good luck! I got to send in two lower pop 77 commons so hopefully you get a nice centered star card!
  • Options
    Well the 86 wax box is out of the way with nothing scan worthy, hopefully that changes with the 89 UD box.
  • Options
    Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭
    Good luck !!!
    Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good Luck Doran!
  • Options
    Good luck and if you get a vince coleman out of the 86 and you don't want it, get with me.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread is worthless without scans!! Good luck Doran.
  • Options
    nice assortment
  • Options
    Sorry guys my internet connection has been giving me fits.

The 89 UD yielded one Griffey.

The 85 Wax Pack didn't really have any highlights
  • Options
    Nice catch...What do you think the Griffey will get in a slab?

Here is a PSA10 for a comparison..kind looks like yours
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    IZZA PSA 10 Griffey JR!!!
  • Options
    No highlights in the 84 pack and not much in the 83

But now it's on to the 82 wax box, and it is very clean.
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Let's get a couple Ripkens!!
  • Options
    Here are the highlights from the first 8 packs of the 82 box, the cards are very clean but centering is obviously an issue.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Griffey looks sharp! Good luck with the '70s!!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Next 8 packs, still no ripken.
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    I used to love that 82 fisk as a kid.. I can remember.. that card was so cool.. I wanted to be a catcher..
    and was.. until I caught a bat in the throat... lol
    outfield here I come...
  • Options

<< <i>Nice catch...What do you think the Griffey will get in a slab?

Here is a PSA10 for a comparison..kind looks like yours
    image >>

No even close to a 10. The one he just pulled from the pack had a black print mark on Griffey's should. If the card does not have any other issues, I figure it's an 8.
  • Options

<< <i>No even close to a 10. The one he just pulled from the pack had a black print mark on Griffey's should. If the card does not have any other issues, I figure it's an 8. >>

You got great eyes. That mark matches my dirty monitor.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>No even close to a 10. The one he just pulled from the pack had a black print mark on Griffey's should. If the card does not have any other issues, I figure it's an 8. >>

You got great eyes. That mark matches my dirty monitor. >>

Thanks.image
  • Options
    Unfortunately StanTheMan is correct the Griffey has a print mark. The 82 box yielded no Ripkens, here are the last of the highlights and then it's off to the last few wax packs.

• Options
    Well the 80s packs are all done, no stars at all in the 1980 or 1981 packs. Maybe the 70s will be a little kinder to me.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I wished you Good Luck and that didnt help, SO...............................

Bad Luck to you on those 70's packs Doran!
  • Options
    Well, it's been real and it's been fun, but it hasn't been real fun. Overall it was a fun rip and a nice stroll down memory lane, the majority of the packs were exceptionally clean. The funny part was the worst year was 1986 which had gum damage that ruined 2 cards per pack, the 1985 and 1984 had slight gum issues, but none of the other years even had gum stuck to a card. Here are the last of the highlights, no scans from the 77 pack it must have been an experiment in printing defects.

• Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    I really like that 79 Morgan, Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bench looks real nice! How did you do on the 77 & 78s? All it takes is one mint Murray RC to make the pain go away!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Didnt see any of my childhood, Dale Murphy anywhere.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    What is Steve at BBCE's email address? Is it steve@bbcexchange.com?
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    That 78 Bench looks really nice!
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, it's been real and it's been fun, but it hasn't been real fun. Overall it was a fun rip and a nice stroll down memory lane, the majority of the packs were exceptionally clean. The funny part was the worst year was 1986 which had gum damage that ruined 2 cards per pack, the 1985 and 1984 had slight gum issues, but none of the other years even had gum stuck to a card. Here are the last of the highlights, no scans from the 77 pack it must have been an experiment in printing defects.

image >>

<<< but it hasn't been real fun >>>

It would be nice to see someone have some "real fun" from a rip of packs purchased at BBCE. Sure has been quite awhile. Oh well, maybe someday.

I didn't Google it and Grote15 is perhaps the best poster I've seen on here, or maybe anywhere, who knows about vintage waxpacks...but I think there's the "story" of someone pulling a rookie Aaron out of a vintage waxpack and it received a PSA 9, or similar stories like that, which keeps the "thrill and excitement" of opening up vintage waxpacks alive.

I still believe that any dealer, ANY dealer, who feels there's a good chance of profiting from ripping vintage waxpacks he buys, is gonna rip 'em himself...and the waxpacks he buys that he feels have little chance of yielding anything good...he sells them as is or gets them slabbed to sell...that's my opinion, and of course from a business standpoint it makes perfect sense for a dealer to do just that. And I wish it was otherwise because I would love to bust some early 60's waxpacks...I've got some money burning a hole in my pocket and would love to relive that thrill of ripping a vintage waxpack...but the "aggravation" of ripping it and "knowing" that it had been resealed, and that I had just been "ripped-off", makes doing it not worth it to me.
  • Options
  • Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    The QC on the 1982 was terrrible. I just went through three sets and maybe have 3/4 of one mint set. The wax break is very telling. It is not as bad as OPC, but still pretty bad.
  • Options
    SteveK, it actually was a fun rip and aside from normal factory issues (print defects, centering) the cards from 1977-1983 were unbelievably clean with no gum damage or bad corners it was like you just bought them from the store the day topps delivered them. Sure it would have been nice to pull a star rookie that would grade out well and help offset the cost of the packs, but that isn't going to happen every time. Really all you are buying when you buy the vintage wax is a couple hours of entertainment nothing more.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    You'll have to forgive stevek; the part of his brain where the ability to have fun is located never fully developed.
  • Options

<< <i>You'll have to forgive stevek; the part of his brain where the ability to have fun is located never fully developed. >>

Steve is just accurately depicting the financial variables that go into ripping old wax.

However, it is fun for some of us even though we already know the risk/reward is great.

Some of us enjoy paying a little extra just to have that feeling of opening up old wax.

I've had good returns on wax before. I've also broke even. I've also taken a little hit. But all in all it's been worth it.
  • Options
    Steve is just accurately depicting the financial variables that go into ripping old wax.

Thanks god he's here to do that, otherwise we'd all be opening old boxes expecting to make tons of money! Find me one person on these boards that thinks opening old wax is profitable.

We go into it expecting/knowing that we're going to lose money, but the entertainment tradeoff is worth it for some of us. Why the need to state the blatantly obvious and bring down every rip thread? Just like most forms of gambling, ripping old (and new, for that matter) wax is a losing proposition. Steve obviously has a problem with gambling because of how it's affected his life, but there's no need to preach to mostly knowledgeable collectors on a sportscard message board that opening old packs is not profitable.
  • Options

<< <i>.....Steve obviously has a problem with gambling because of how it's affected his life, but there's no need to preach to mostly knowledgeable collectors on a sportscard message board that opening old packs is not profitable. >>

Especially when what he probably wants to do most is drink 2 bottles of ripple and put 5 dimes on the Lakers in the series.
  • Options
    firedawg45firedawg45 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭
    perkdog, jenn stenger is so hot, awesome pic of the fsu girls....
    # 2 Pete Rose Master Set , also
    collecting 1977 topps baseball in psa 9 and psa 10
  • Options
    It's Jenn Sterger.
  • Options
    mbothnermbothner Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
    This is what my rip cost me. I enjoyed every bit of it and will probably do it again.

2 Packs of 1972 Topps Baseball $280

Sent 10 for grading $50

Total money invested $330

Sold all 10 on ebay for $115

Total cost $215

• Options

<< <i>Steve is just accurately depicting the financial variables that go into ripping old wax.

Thanks god he's here to do that, otherwise we'd all be opening old boxes expecting to make tons of money! Find me one person on these boards that thinks opening old wax is profitable.

We go into it expecting/knowing that we're going to lose money, but the entertainment tradeoff is worth it for some of us. Why the need to state the blatantly obvious and bring down every rip thread? Just like most forms of gambling, ripping old (and new, for that matter) wax is a losing proposition. Steve obviously has a problem with gambling because of how it's affected his life, but there's no need to preach to mostly knowledgeable collectors on a sportscard message board that opening old packs is not profitable. >>

Lee - This forum receives an influx of new members all the time. And many join and then may not post or lurk that much, but may happen to clickon a fun thread like this....so I believe it's important to give our opinions when it's pertinent and the OP made the comment "but it hasn't been real fun" which I interpreted as he basically lost money on the bust. If anyone believes that busting packs for the most part isn't about the money, then that would be quite naive, and I think it's enjoyable and enlightening to discuss, even on a regular basis, the monetary aspects of busting waxpacks, especially the "more expensive" vintage packs, and because there is such a wide variety of waxpacks out there.

Even modern packs are discussed in this manner of the possibilty of making money such as whether the packs at Target are any good or not, etc. In my view "finding something good" in an unopened pack of baseball cards is basically synonymous with making money. Of course there is the collecting aspect of the hobby and the enjoyment of that, but to me the money aspect and investment viewpoints are interesting as well.

You can call busting waxpacks gambling and I wouldn't even disagree with you. You know what Lee...if Harrahs were suddenly to offer 2 - 1 odds instead of even money 1 - 1 odds for every come bet at the craps table, I'd be down there right now and I'd have a guaranteed million dollars made in a short time. My comments here are geared towards the wise or foolish aspect of busting unopened packs. Putting the thrill of busting the packs aside, and yes that has value, but in my opinion busting unopened packs from any dealer is almost a guaranteed money loser whereby the "game" is basically rigged because the dealer isn't going to sell to the public any waxpacks he feels he can bust, then get the individual cards graded, and make a lot more money that way than selling the waxpacks slabbed. For example, if a little old lady walks into a baseball card dealer's store, and sells him a bunch of obviously unopened minty fresh vintage waxpacks, you think any dealer isn't going to bust those packs himself? Of course he is - the dealer is going to bust the packs which he feels have a nice chance of pulling 9's or 10's out of that pack.

So using the Harrahs analogy...in my viewpoint moneywise, instead of even money odds at the craps table, you're maybe only getting 1/4th or 1/10th of the odds you should be getting when buying waxpacks from a dealer. I prefer to look for deals myself off the general public, and make purchases on things such as this whereby the odds are in my favor. I've bought quite a number of decent size to sometimes very large baseball card lots off ebay - a few have been losers, but the vast majority have been winners, some very big winners, and there is a reason behind that, a "formula" that I use which puts the odds of success greatly in my favor - you can call that gambling if you want to, but I call it smart business.

So in my viewpoint, that's what I'm discussing here - whether or not busting waxpacks is smart business or not. and clearly, buying waxpacks from any bigtime baseball card dealer is not smart business if the idea is to rip the packs and try to find something good and make money. You stated you knew that already and good for you, and now other new CU members lurking here, wanting to learn about vintage waxpacks, know that as well.

Steve
  • Options
    The wax dealers (or market) set the value of unopened material to where it is unprofitable to bust it. That's why it's unprofitable. If they could only get $10 for an 80/81 basketball pack, they would bust them. But they get $35-$45 so it's more profitable for them to sell at that price. It's not because they are searched or aren't clean (at least in the case of reputable wax dealers). There are no vintage packs anywhere where you "have a nice chance of pulling 9's or 10's out of that pack." The production quality and packaging and shipping processes pretty much took care of that. I got 11 PSA 10s out of a $600 case-fresh box of 1978 Topps and that's about the best anyone will ever do.
  • Options
    Outside of my 401k, IRA and a car to get to work everything I spend money on is a losing proposition
    Tom
  • Options
    I'd also like to add that I find it humorous that you think it's a worthwhile effort to go onto a sportscard collecting message board and warn collectors of the unprofitablility of gambling on unopened packs. Like I said, find one person on this board or anywhere in the collecting community that believes opening wax is profitable. Just one. You might have an easier time going to McDonald's and finding someone who thinks french fries are healthy.

Since it seems obvious that you will jump into every rip thread with the same crap, I'm not going to debate you on it any more because I'd be wasting my time as much as you do.
  • Options
    Lee, the guy is hot air and nothing else.

Where was he in the thread where I pulled the Bird Magic rookie from the wax pack last week? (his rant that all wax is searched)
    Where was he in the thread where my 1956 Berra was graded a PSA 8.5 NM-MT+ (his rant that that high grade raw cards at shows are all trimmed)

Your gloom and doom posts are tired and old, just like you. Just lay down and let us throw the dirt.
  • Options
    Very good comments everyone.

You want to know what I hate about vintage wax packs???
    Well, I recently started buying some for my 3 year old boy so we can open them when he's older, but I don't think I can wait. Can someone offer advice to me? image
  • Options

<< <i>The wax dealers (or market) set the value of unopened material to where it is unprofitable to bust it. That's why it's unprofitable. If they could only get $10 for an 80/81 basketball pack, they would bust them. But they get $35-$45 so it's more profitable for them to sell at that price. It's not because they are searched or aren't clean (at least in the case of reputable wax dealers). There are no vintage packs anywhere where you "have a nice chance of pulling 9's or 10's out of that pack." The production quality and packaging and shipping processes pretty much took care of that. I got 11 PSA 10s out of a $600 case-fresh box of 1978 Topps and that's about the best anyone will ever do. >>

That's a valid point but I have to believe if a dealer buys say 50 vintage waxpacks from the same lot, opens a few and they are beautiful very high grade cards...is he then gonna get the other packs slabbed and sell them like that? Of course not - he's gonna bust every one of those packs and get the individual cards graded.

Same example, on the other side, if he opens a few nice looking waxpacks, but the cards are off center, maybe dinged, etc., then yes he is gonna get the rest of those packs slabbed, or sell them unslabbed to his customers. It just wouldn't be good business to do otherwise.

Some here may believe that certain dealers are "nice guys" and these dealers display some sort of philanthropic behavior towards their customers. I'm not gonna believe that - they are businessmen looking to receive the maximum monetary value out of each transaction they make.

Steve