Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Long Beach 5/30 Nachbar talk on gold

Did anyone attend this seminar at Long Beach? Richard Nachbar and his thoughts on gold and precious metals? Summary? Highlights?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just based on his misleading Coin World ads about suggesting that heirs "trade" in their inherited coins for gold bullion (with no apparent penalties or taxes), I wouldn't listen to anything put out by Nachbar.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    cinman14cinman14 Posts: 2,489

<< <i>Just based on his misleading Coin World ads about suggesting that heirs "trade" in their inherited coins for gold bullion (with no apparent penalties or taxes), I wouldn't listen to anything put out by Nachbar.

roadrunner >>

How would that be misleading?? I bet over half the members on this forum alone do not have family members
    who know the true value of their collections.

And if you think a local B@M will not lowball your family you have alot to learn. There may be a few honest one's
    out there. But during the selling craze when silver hit 20 my local B@M was putting the screws to everyone coming in.

It would be much easier to find the value of a AGE than a rare morgan dollar..You might want to open your scope of thinking
    before you slam someone you don't know.

Or maybe you can explain to him why he is so dishonest.... nachbar&coinexpert.com 877-622-4227

I am sure he would love to hear from you...

• Options

<< <i>Just based on his misleading Coin World ads about suggesting that heirs "trade" in their inherited coins for gold bullion (with no apparent penalties or taxes), I wouldn't listen to anything put out by Nachbar.

roadrunner >>

I do believe he is speaking to the collectors not thier "heirs".....Loose lips sink ships

misleading ad????????
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmmmmm interesting.... Roadrunner?? Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>Cinman14,
    I understand what you wrote and what you meant but isn't your point invalid now that Nachbar announced his retiring soon. Why would you sell your collection to a dealer who is no longer going to be a dealer. In addition, my level of trust for such a dealer would be questionable considering anyone who states they are leaving the business will not care about the last deals they complete since he will be long gone and couldn't careless about customer goodwill any longer. I would even be uncomfortable receiving a check that is voluntarily going out of business. Lastly switching possible rare and valuable coins into bullion doesn't sound appealing in the respect that rare coins have potential to rise where as bullion is solely tied to precious metal market. >>

I respect your opinion Realone. I guess you would have to know Richard to be comfortable dealing with him. I can assure you the
    customer service will not end when he stops dealing in coins. He will continue with the coin circuit and lectures. If you would like me to find out why he offered this service I would be glad to and PM you back. Maybe he is intrested in building his coin collection. I can assure you his daughter will be very educated at what his collection is worth.

You never know why someone offers what they do. My beef was the statement that his ad was misleading. If you have educated your family on the value of your collection. Then this offer would be of little value to you. If you haven't and you fear that your wife or children would take your Morgan CC dollars to a local B@M and get 15% under melt for them. Then this might be a good investment..
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cinman14: Why is Nachbar retiring anyway?

Health? Burnout? Grandchildren?

I have tried to speak with Nachbar a few times and have him to be guarded and reserved.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options

<< <i>cinman14: Why is Nachbar retiring anyway?

I have tried to speak with Nachbar a few times and have him to be guarded and reserved. >>

A little burnout. But I believe the main reason, His daughter and son in law are moving back to NY
    and bringing his two precious grandaughters with them. The are going to be living very close.

And from what I have been told the grandaughters have stole Grandaddy's heart...image

I do believe he will still do an occasional appraisal and coin show. But he is getting out of the selling side of it.

I think having his daughter move back to NY helped him make up his mind..

I have found Richard to be very honest. It just struck a nerve about Richard being dishonest that made me post a comment.

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cinman14:

I agree with Realone's comments 100%. I had the same exact experience.

I have even spoken with David McCarty (one of our fellow posters here) who used to work for Nachbar.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options

<< <i>Cinman14,
    well you just educated me in regards to what is going on with Nachbar's firm, thank you for that.
    Second point is that you personally appear to know him and have a favorable regard of him, I have spoken to him a couple of times and have found that he is not very helpful. I am a high end collector and he seemed to have little to no interest in showing classic coinage to me or helping me out in procuring them along those lines in the future. I buy from many reputable dealers and have never purchased a coin directly from him and can't figure how one would go about it and do it any way. His website lists coins, but I can't figure out if they are for sale or not, the list never changes, no prices. I don't think he likes to deal directly with collectors unless he has seen your financial statements and that is just an assumption on my part. He sure as heck doesn't like to talk coins over the phone, one question is does he even like them. I read that he is retiring soon, which is in itself vague, maybe now there is a defined date to that event, but you seem to know that his organization will carryon without him which is news to me since his ads never spoke to that effect. So it appears I am out of the loop, a loop that i was never in to begin with even though I made a number of attempts. >>

The only coin I have bought from Richard was a 1878 BU morgan for 10 bucks....image

He did say he upgraded the coin for me a grade or two image

I don't know the details of his business from the selling side of it. I only know him from a personal side. It's not that his business will carry on without him. He just won't have a store front per say. But I am sure he would appraise your collection if contacted. He will have a booth set up in July so check him out there..

farewell sale
  • Options
    I only know what I know...image

If it is a health issue that's between him and his family. I wouldn't even go there,except to offer prayer.

I guess you guys could call him and see if he spills the beans..image

1-877-622-4227 or nachbar@coinexpert.com...

I respect all of your Questions and concerns but I really don't know anything other than what was told.

Everybody retires sometime....image I only wish I could but my widgits haven't gained enough value yet..image

• Options
    Realone I will try and get info on the coins for sale. I really can't comment on his attitude in regards to your exchanges with him.

I have good exchanges with both of you. Maybe it was just a bad day. I really don't know.

If I find out anything I will PM you the info..

James
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭

<< <i>cinman14: Why is Nachbar retiring anyway?

I have tried to speak with Nachbar a few times and have him to be guarded and reserved. >>

Wow.

Between realone's post and yours.... wow

guess I do not know Mr Nacbar as well as I thought.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file