Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The Official Albert Pujols Triple Crown Thread...

Well, i have been wanting to start this thread for years now, but one Baroid Bondz has prevented me from doing so....now they he is gone for good, i truly believe Prince Albert has the best shot of any Major Leaguer in the last 40 years.....

It takes a special Slugger, someone who the Eye, the Patience, and the Contact Rate to hit .333.....

the one thing that may be holding Pujols back is his supporting cast....losing Ankiel for a bit will not help....

if there are not a lot of players on Base, then no matter how many hits you get, your RBI total will not be there....Perfect example, Pujols last 4 HR's have been solo shots...

Also, Pujols is on Pace to Smash his season high Walk Total, he is being pitched around every night....

That Being said, Pujols still has the skill set to Pull of this Feat--maybe the toughest Feat in sports these days....

Comments

• Options
    I agree, Pujols is a very talented player, but I'm not so sure the triple crown is truly possible. He will not get enough homeruns and runs batted in, due to being pitched around.

And why do you say Ankiel is lost for the year? He has just missed a few games.
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257

<< <i>I agree, Pujols is a very talented player, but I'm not so sure the triple crown is truly possible. He will not get enough homeruns and runs batted in, due to being pitched around.

And why do you say Ankiel is lost for the year? He has just missed a few games. >>

I was wondering the same thing about Ankiel. I just read this morning that he is expecting to be back i a couple of days.

As for the triple crown. I think it could very well happen in the future for Pujols. I don't think it can happen this year though. Chipper Jones or Lance Berkman, on the other hand, have legitimate shots. I would love to see Jones get it. He is a class act and a model of how athletes should strive to behave, on and off the field.

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I agree, Pujols is a very talented player, but I'm not so sure the triple crown is truly possible. He will not get enough homeruns and runs batted in, due to being pitched around.

And why do you say Ankiel is lost for the year? He has just missed a few games. >>

I was wondering the same thing about Ankiel. I just read this morning that he is expecting to be back i a couple of days.

As for the triple crown. I think it could very well happen in the future for Pujols. I don't think it can happen this year though. Chipper Jones or Lance Berkman, on the other hand, have legitimate shots. I would love to see Jones get it. He is a class act and a model of how athletes should strive to behave, on and off the field.

Chris >>

Yeah, Ankiel said last night that another day or two, and he feels like he will be ready. We'll see. I sure hope he's back soon.

Chipper and Berkman will come back to the pack as far as stats. I highly doubt either guy will hit more than .340, if that.

Actually, I would not be surprised to see them both go into a slump for a while. When you are so red hot, for that long, your turn to slump will come over 162 games.

EDIT: added comments
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe that he has the best shot in MLB to win a triple crown. However, it will be very, very tough. It will be even tougher without anyone protecting him in the lineup. I do not think that it is a coincedence that as soon as we see Ryan Ludwick on fire for the past 2 weeks, that Pujols gets more pitches to hit.

I also think that Lance Berkman is one of the most underappreciated players in baseball. He is having a great year. However, let's just imagine for a second if Pujols had Carlos Lee and Miguel Tejada in the lineup to protect him. What would his numbers be then?

I posted this on the sports forum. Take a look at this HR from last night. What a monster shot!

Pujols HR in San Diego

Shane

• Options
    It's ok to have a man crush on a player, but c'mon..really.

1. Pujols will not win the Triple Crown - even without Barry Bonds playing.

2. Ankiel is not, as you put it, lost for the year. He's missed all of what, 3 games? lol

I like the players I collect too, but is there really a need to OVER exaggerate that greatly?
    3000 Hit CLub signed ball - 8/19 Living Members

Successful Deals: tennesseebanker, jvette,
  • Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    good i hope ankiel is not as bad as i thought i heard....

Chipper has no chance (he is a great guy) buy has NEVER PLAYED A FULL SEASON--most injury prone guy around..

Berkman does not have the contact rate to hit for a high average over 160 games (another good guy though)....

Pujols has already proven his durability..especially this year when all the doomsayers were talking about a elbow he hurt in 2001 yes 2001, not 2003 or 2004 like was reported...

Editorial
    #51479889 26 Apr 2001 Montreal Expos v St. Louis Cardinals By: Elsa Getty Images Sport People: Albert Pujols
  • Options

<< <i>It's ok to have a man crush on a player, but c'mon..really.

1. Pujols will not win the Triple Crown - even without Barry Bonds playing.

2. Ankiel is not, as you put it, lost for the year. He's missed all of what, 3 games? lol

I like the players I collect too, but is there really a need to OVER exaggerate that greatly? >>

funny this coming from A PETE ROSE FAN?? what can you possible see that you like in that scoundrel?

ps..dont derail this thread....its not about my fanhood of Pujols, itsabout his MAD SKILLZ
  • Options
    LOL Pretty juvenile response, but so be it.

I wasn't knocking the fact that you like Pujols or his "mad skillz". I was suggesting that you try to keep things in perspective and perhaps in the realm of reality. You assumed Ankiel was done for the season, when in fact he's only missed 3 games.

Pujols' chance at the Triple Crown is iffy at best. His age (true age) combined with that lingering elbow injury don't make for a good mix.

Pujols is a great hitter,this is true. It takes a lot more than just being a hitter to win the Triple Crown. You said it yourself, his last 4 HR's have been solo shots. Based on the lineup, his lack of protection and walks I wouldn't put my money on him winning it.

See, that is a decent arguement for why I don't think he will win it. Nowhere was I trying to "derail" your thread and nowhere did I resort to name calling of you or the player you like. You should try it sometime.

Jay

edit: spelling

• Options
    I know you were speaking about fandango, but what I said was that I think Pujols as "THE BEST SHOT" of anybody in baseball to win the triple crown because of his abilities.

Shane

• Options

<< <i>I know you were speaking about fandango, but what I said was that I think Pujols as "THE BEST SHOT" of anybody in baseball to win the triple crown because of his abilities. >>

Yes, I was directing my posts to Fandango.

While I mostly agree with what you said I'd have to add A-Rod into the mix. Maybe not this season, but overall. Unless we're speaking soley about the NL Triple Crown?

Jay

• Options
    Fandango, I'm sorry, but you are wrong on his elbow injury. Pujols own words said he hurt his elbow in 2003. This was his own spoken words on FSN in an interview they conducted with him.
  • Options
    <<The question looming over the most important and precarious ligament in the Cardinals’ franchise is whether or not Albert Pujols can play out the rest of his already illustrious career without repairing a shredded ligament in his right elbow.

His answer is yes now and check back with him later.

The team doctor agrees.

“Probably. Possibly,” Dr. George Paletta told three of us reporters Wednesday here in Jupiter, Fla. “This is not a curable problem without reconstruction. What we hope is this is a manageable problem. We’ve been managing this problem since 2003. … But there may come a time when it’s not manageable anymore. And if it’s not manageable, the best answer for Albert, long-term, is having reconstruction done.”

And therein lies the rub.

The Cardinals and Pujols will manage the elbow injury until they cannot.

As Pujols said: It blows when it blows.

There are continuous questions about the former MVP’s elbow — and sporadic bursts of intensive coverage, as we’ve seen the last couple days — and this is an attempt to pool all of the information for a one-stop reference. Below is both a history of the injury, a current situation report on the injury and some additional references. These details have all been discussed an reported before, but over a span of the last couple months and the breadth of several articles, at the P-D and elsewhere.

It started in April 2003.

THE HISTORY

– On April 19, 2003, an article appears in the P-D reporting how Pujols has strained the ulnar collateral ligament (UCL) in his right elbow and the doctor recommends Pujols takes three weeks off from throwing.>>

Just another tidbit on the elbow problem, and his doctor's words.^^

If I get time, I will try to see if there is a link to the FSN interview Pujols done, speaking about his elbow injury from 2003.

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Actually Berkman has a shot too IMO.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    He is a great player and all that but do you stalk "Prince Albert?" A "game used" restraining order filed by the Prince against you would be a pretty cool collectible!? image
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Pujols will not win the triple crown this year, or ever. In all my years (fewer years than most of you) of watching and seriously understanding baseball, the only time I ever really got excited that a guy might have a chance to win the triple crown was Derek Lee in 2005. If I had to pick a player who might be able to do it I would say A-Rod. If he could string together enough hot streaks with the other Yanks hitting, maybe he could. I seriously don't think we will see it for a long time though. I really like pujols, but I don't think he will ever do it.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

Perfect photo for this thread Boo. A picture is worth a thousand words. Geez.
  • Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

And commence to cleaning liquid off my monitor. Thanks, Boo.

• Options
    funny, you guys crack me up!

TNT...try starting a Brett Butler thread and see what responses YOU get! THAT WOULD BE FRIGGIN HILARIOUS!
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    actually, I have started a thread here or there, got a few responses, and went on with my life. However, I don't bow down at a Brett Butler altar, which is how you come off.

By the way, it's TNP - I don't profess to be dynomite. I'll leave that to JJ.

• Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I heard Albert Pujols' poop is considered currency in Argentina.
  • Options

<< <i>I heard Albert Pujols' poop is considered currency in Argentina. >>

Say whaaaaaat????image
  • Options
    fandango- the reason Geordie has not started any Brett Butler threads is because he doesn't think people want to talk about Brett Butler every 15 minutes. Kind of like how people don't always want to talk about Albert Pujols, Kobe Bryant, Ben Kingsley, Bruce Springsteen, or my cousin Eddie who likes to light his own farts. You love Pujols- we get it.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    prince albert?

gross man

j
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    CD-
    Why don't you start a cousin Eddie thread? It sounds very interesting.

As to TNP, I spend some time here and had NO CLUE he was a Brett Butler fan. Maybe I don't pay attention. However, Mr. Fandango is clearly a "Prince" Albert fanATIC and we all know it.

You remind me of this annoying guy that calls local talk radio. He is "Lynn the Spur's fan." He has been calling for years and EVERY SINGLE call gets back to the Spur's. Example, "I thought the A's looked good yesterday, getting Frank Thomas back is key, blah, blah, blah... sort of like when Tim Duncan...." It's annoying. Especially annoying since I live in Sacramento and not San Antonio! You remind me of Lynn the Spur's Fan as you seem to have a ONE track mind.

Nobody will debate Albert Pujols is a great player. He is. He may be the best ever. I don't know. However, it's nice to get a little change of pace sometimes.
  • Options
    sorry i should have made ANOTHER thread on one of the following topics,

1. "Look how small that guys scan is on ebay..."

2. "Look how much he is asking for the piece of junk on Ebay..."

3. "why would anyone buy something from a seller with zero feedback"

4. " i cant believe how slow PSA is in getting my grades to pop"

5. "im pissed i didnt get all 10's on my submission"

6. "why do people buy packs from this guy "

7. "PSA mislabled this!"

8. "BGS vs PSA"

9. "guess the grade"

10. "PSA beter improve customer service or else"

DID I MISS ANY OF THE SAME PLAYED OUT BORING THREADS?

sorry if i am expressing Fanhood, instead of posting one of these "top 10 threads"....

first you rip my Sam Bat thread, now this....do i smell a bit of jealousy? Again, Use Stone as an example of how to be a productive member of the boards....

this makes me root for Pujols even more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Fandango, not one member I seen ripped your bat, but ripped your exaggerations pertaining to what you claimed it was, when you honestly had no clue if what you was saying to being factual, or a stretched story.

I am a big Pujols and Cardinals fan, but you take it to the level of mental obsession. That's not healthy, but that's a whole new topic to deal with.

And now, cousin Eddie:

• Options

<< <i>this makes me root for Pujols even more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >>

This makes me want to snap off your ! key.
  • Options
    Stan- you might've actually dug into my subconscious and pulled out the Randy Quaid character (Cousin Eddie) from the vacation movies. I just typed the first thing that came to my mind and didn't realize that it was actually referring to someone, but that's got to be it. Get out of my head dude.
  • Options

<< <i>Stan- you might've actually dug into my subconscious and pulled out the Randy Quaid character (Cousin Eddie) from the vacation movies. I just typed the first thing that came to my mind and didn't realize that it was actually referring to someone, but that's got to be it. Get out of my head dude. >>

• Options
    I am jealous of Fandango. I admit it. I quit.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    If Albert Pujols put a midget on his back and ran against Big Brown, he could win the Triple Crown.
  • Options
    If Albert Pujols put a midget on his back and ran against Big Brown, he could win the Triple Crown.

That is funny. I un-quit.
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Fandango, I think the photo of the bat in your sig line could use some cropping... maybe lose a couple feet of bed sheet on top and bottom.
  • Options
    if he wins the triple crown,

you all eat crow.

including myself.

but until then,
    heckle heckle
    jeer jeer

j
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    He is a great player and he may hit the triple crown. The real question then is, since this is the OFFICIAL Albert Pujols Triple Crown Thread... what would Fandango do to celebrate when his man comes through with the triple crown?
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Gary Sheffield had a shot at it back in the mid 90's.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭✭
    frankhardy and fandango are different people? Just realized that. They seem to talk about the same stuff.

Shouldn't this thread be about Berkman or Jones?

John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options

<< <i>frankhardy and fandango are different people? Just realized that. They seem to talk about the same stuff.
    Shouldn't this thread be about Berkman or Jones?John >>

Actually, I don't think anyone will make it, but if someone does, I hope it's berkman....I want him to continue to put up the numbers until he is a lock for the hall of fame for all the nay-sayers...(LOL)

Nothing against Pujols, but i believe he is already a lock ...

• Options
    fat elvis +1

j
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    I would love to see Berkman get the Triple Crown...unfortunately the only person who has a legitimate chance of getting that this year is Big Brown. image

It's a long season and players get hot & cold and injuries happen. There's so much talent out there today that I just don't see one player having the level of domination - in all three top offensive categories - for the 162 games that it would take to pull it off. If I did, Pujols would probably be on the list of possibilities, but he wouldn't be at the top, IMO.
  • Options

<< <i>He is a great player and he may hit the triple crown. The real question then is, since this is the OFFICIAL Albert Pujols Triple Crown Thread... what would Fandango do to celebrate when his man comes through with the triple crown? >>

WOW i have no idea what i would do....one can only dream though....it would really be like winning the lotto....
  • Options
    CLASSIC....

Tonight at 7:20PM, Lance Berkman just predicted Albert Pujols would win the triple crown on PTI with Mike Wilbon and Tony Kornheisser....no kidding

guess im not the only one who thinks it, lol CLASSIC!
  • Options
    Thankfully the Astros pay Berkman to play baseball rather than make predictions.
  • Options

<< <i>CLASSIC....

Tonight at 7:20PM, Lance Berkman just predicted Albert Pujols would win the triple crown on PTI with Mike Wilbon and Tony Kornheisser....no kidding

guess im not the only one who thinks it, lol CLASSIC! >>

Correction, Berkman was asked his opinion pertaining to the player he thought was most likely able to do it in a season. Berkman never said Pujols would for sure do it. Once again, another fandango exaggeration..image

Does your obsession truly get in the way of reality, or are you just so one track minded that you only hear what you want to hear, and the facts get left by the side of the road?

EDIT: spell
  • Options
    Truly sad.

• Options
    That is exactly what I said, as well. I never said that Pujols would win a triple crown. I just said that he had the best shot.

Shane

• Options

<< <i>Truly sad. >>

no what is truly sad is that you are a pete rose fan...the guy came the closest to ruining baseball...he is a degenerate, a tax cheat, and he bet against his team, AND HE IS BANNED FOR BASEBALL FOR LIFE!!!!! what does that say about YOU? that is sad...

PS.. all you need to see is " sorry i shot JFK" signed ball to know about his character (and yours)

Pujols is the 180 degree opposite of Rose, and i am Proud to be a Fan of His!