Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does anyone else get off-message board responses from a particular unmentionable dealer?

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
I cannot mention this dealer's name in the polite society that is the PCGS message boards, but his last name rhymes with Held. On several occasions of late, I have either posted a question or a comment to the boards, and this particular unmentionable dealer sends me an email with a response or other information. Does anyone else receive emails from this person? I like receiving notes from him because he is very knowledgable.
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I cannot mention this dealer's name in the polite society that is the PCGS message boards, but his last name rhymes with Held. On several occasions of late, I have either posted a question or a comment to the boards, and this particular unmentionable dealer sends me an email with a response or other information. Does anyone else receive emails from this person? I like receiving notes from him because he is very knowledgable. >>

Yes, mostly when I post some especially stupid or funny.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Mayyyyyyyyyybe.
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    not anymore thankfully.
  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    So there is an underwear dealer whose name rhymes with "held" who you sends you emails? image
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    I do, but usually when I send him one first. image

Mark is my favorite coin dealer. I wish he were still around here.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes, mostly when I post some especially stupid or funny. >>

• Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    If you had told me earlier, I could have included you on the petition for a restraining order. image The unmentionable dealer participates regularly on another unmentionable message board.
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    How's come half the post I read here now have to be written in pig-latin or some other type of code words?
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Yes, and he's a great guy and a wonderful dealer. I wish he were back on these boards too.
    Tom

• Options

<< <i>How's come half the post I read here now have to be written in pig-latin or some other type of code words? >>

Atwhay areay ouyay alkingtay aboutay?
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Atwhay areay ouyay alkingtay aboutay? >>

OOFPAY! image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Atwhay areay ouyay alkingtay aboutay? >>

OOFPAY! image >>

• Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    << I cannot mention this dealer's name in the polite society that is the PCGS message boards, but his last name rhymes with Held. On several occasions of late, I have either posted a question or a comment to the boards, and this particular unmentionable dealer sends me an email with a response or other information. Does anyone else receive emails from this person? I like receiving notes from him because he is very knowledgable. >>

No - I guess my posts are neither especially stupid or especially funny. I do read, and occasionally respond to, his posts Across The Street, though.

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    Nope. imageimage

Said dealer has been a great help to me and was a great asset to these boards.
  • Options
    FELD CAC LEGEND LAURA...
    NANNER NANNER NANNERRRR
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• Options

<< <i><< I cannot mention this dealer's name in the polite society that is the PCGS message boards, but his last name rhymes with Held. On several occasions of late, I have either posted a question or a comment to the boards, and this particular unmentionable dealer sends me an email with a response or other information. Does anyone else receive emails from this person? I like receiving notes from him because he is very knowledgable. >>

No - I guess my posts are neither especially stupid or especially funny. I do read, and occasionally respond to, his posts Across The Street, though. >>

Don't feel bad. I am mostly scolded for the stupid ones. image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes I do. I consider it an honor to hold discourse with Mark. He is intelligent, knowledgeable and a gentleman. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I cannot mention this dealer's name in the polite society that is the PCGS message boards, but his last name rhymes with Held. On several occasions of late, I have either posted a question or a comment to the boards, and this particular unmentionable dealer sends me an email with a response or other information. Does anyone else receive emails from this person? I like receiving notes from him because he is very knowledgable. >>

Yes, mostly when I post some especially stupid or funny. >>

image Yep, I get those also!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    <<Don't feel bad. I am mostly scolded for the stupid ones. >>

We all, well most of us, think at one time said "entity" was a dedicated Hall Monitor gone arwy...but the said "enitity" sure knows his coins!

~waving~ hi ya rhymes with Held!
    Chat Board Lingo

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark who?
    Held who?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Neil Young released an album in the early 90's called "Arc Weld".....live stuff with Crazy Horse....I love that stuff!!! image

I get the emails as well....they are welcomed! I also get them from someone that rhymes with Yonder! image They make me feel like I am part of the numismatic community. image
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the secretary will disavow any knowledge of his existance
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    When he stayed away from the forbidden zone, he was a great educational asset to the boards, and I hope he will be willing and be allowed to return. I hope that things can be patched up.

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    Yes, once
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usually for a comeuppance, which were always and are always well deserved. image
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977

<< <i>

<< <i>

image Yep, I get those also! >>

MadOne, you rarely say anything funny. But I am sure you get tons of emails from the man that rhymes with "Held" though.image
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ironic that First Strike is back on the ASE's, but someone is still "held" in exile.image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    poorguypoorguy Posts: 4,317

<< <i>How's come half the post I read here now have to be written in pig-latin or some other type of code words? >>

Shhhhhh, they may be watching. image
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No dealers bother to seek my business since I am so poor that I can at best, on a good day, collect only pocket changeimage
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's like life (death?) must be for a ghost.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure wish I could......
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

Maybe he's got a thing for you...

I guess I'm jealous since he doesn't e-mail me at all.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've gotten a couple from him/her.

They are normally very friendly, insightful and helpful.
    Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    I've not recieved emails from him but I've talked to him on the phone before and been sent some old postcards from some auctions.

Whomrhymeswithheld is a fantastic person in my book.

-D
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would smoeone translate the pig latin to Me-a-surray so I can follow a long. image
  • Options

<< <i>Would smoeone translate the pig latin to Me-a-surray so I can follow a long. image >>

Eye Bay Old Gay <-- in pig latin
  • Options
    Yes, I have before.... and I was very appreciative of the input.
  • Options
    MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
    2sides - what?

Occasionally - but usually only to point out corrections to my spelling and gramatical errors.imageimage
    There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Yeah, I have gotten a note once or twice from coinguy. What's the big deal? Getting an email is not much different from a PM on this resource. I also discuss threads from here now and then with folks that have zero participation on this forum (and not because they were bammed). I wish the community was both open to all and everyone participated, but it is sponsiored by a business and one has to respect their protection of their business however they feel is necessary whether any of us agree. I think Marc also is across the street on the other forum, though I have not been there in ages.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    I got a rock. image

• Options
    Chat Board Lingo

• Options
    DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

Marty Feldman is the best.

-D
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508
    yup, he PMs me on the forum across the street; it can range from an atta boy, to setting me straight or a plain disagreement. either way, i really admire his knowledge and desire to help

• Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    Mark my words...

he'll be back...sooner if he Feld like it.
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, he gives me the grief I deserve, occasionally, or answers my questions. I've written him periodically for his opinion, which I hold in high regard.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Yes for the same reasons, and usually I don't realize that what I said is negative when I really meant it to be positive.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No dealers bother to seek my business since I am so poor that I can at best, on a good day, collect only pocket changeimage >>

Funny thing is it is not solicitation, it is only conversation. One of the best guys in the business.
  • Options

<< <i>2sides - what?

Occasionally - but usually only to point out corrections to my spelling and gramatical errors.imageimage >>

Eye Bay Old Gay is Pig Latin for "Buy Gold" image

Sorry, I thought everyone knew this language. image
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have received great emails from someone whose ID describes a type of British token, and the number 100 + 1...Is this the same person?
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file