Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Have the Times Driven You To Sell?

I just read a headline on Yahoo News : "Americans unload prized belongings to make ends meet" which was spurred by rising gas prices, food, and prescription drugs among other problems caused by today's economy.

Have any of you been faced with a similar situation lately? (i.e. who here has sold their coins just to buy gas?)

Comments

• Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    Thankfully I have not been forced to sell any of my collection.
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    I sold a 1995-W Proof ASE to help pay for my dog's cancer treatment a few years ago.

For me it was worth it.

As for the tough times now, no not yet. But I would consider getting rid of some items rather than run up credit card debt. Some of my collection is made up of inexpensive coins anyway, so I'd just focus more on those until the economy gets better.

You could always start a circ Lincoln collection!
    I'd keep playing. I don't think the heavy stuff will be coming down for quite a while!
  • Options
    cinman14cinman14 Posts: 2,489
    did you see the part that said a woman sold Grandmas prized tea pot for 6 bucks on ebay...image

that will buy her a gallon and a half of gas.....image
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Not even close.

If I sell, it won't be because I need to in order to make ends meet.

No matter what the media say, as much as many of us hate higher prices, the sky isn't falling for most people, and I'm sick of their doomsday talk which makes it a self-fulfilling prophecy.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I fired my landscapers and bought a few goats... with milk at $4.50 a gallon they serve a dual purpose! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    When times were good these past couple years, I bought a few luxury items including coins, with the intention that I would sell what they superseded when when I had the chance.

Today these economic times are motivating me to make good on that plan, but so far I am not having to sell anything that I don't want to or hadn't planned to.
  • Options

<< <i>I just read a headline on Yahoo News : "Americans unload prized belongings to make ends meet" which was spurred by rising gas prices, food, and prescription drugs among other problems caused by today's economy.

Have any of you been faced with a similar situation lately? (i.e. who here has sold their coins just to buy gas?) >>

I'm going to be mean.

The short answer is no.

The long answer is that it's really none of your business how anybody else in the forum is doing financially.
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    ?????

These "times" the last year has been the best buying binge I have ever had. I bought six of my best numbers in the last 16 months....at "woe-is-them" prices. image
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>?????

....at "woe-is-them" prices. image >>

Sounds like Moses! image
  • Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804

<< <i>I fired my landscapers and bought a few goats... with milk at $4.50 a gallon they serve a dual purpose! image >>

Hmmm. image

Is there a leash law for goats?
  • Options
    It's making me buy.
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>?????

Sounds like Moses! image >>

M-M-M-Moses was a st-st-st-st-stutterer. image
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    I had to sell a bunch of stuff in the mid-90s due to financial problems, but now I'm happy to buy at fire-sale prices. If I could only find stuff to buy at those prices....
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    I have to admit sometimes I look at my 7070 and think.. I wonder what I could get for that whole thing.

it'd help image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sell for fun, not because of the economy, but for the promotion of widget collecting.

edit to add:
    I buy for fun, dictated by my budget and for the love of collecting.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.... not at all.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    Not to buy gas, but I sold some stuff earlier this year to help pay for a kitchen remodeling project at my hunting lodge. Also will be selling some stuff to help pay to put in a pond. I'm trying to get down to the 'box of 20' theory...but I keep seeing neat stuff I want to buy too. I hope I never have to sell my VF-XF Early Dollar date set, and I plan on always have a few key cool type coins. Other than that, I buy and sell when the mood strikes and/or the need arises.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>?????

These "times" the last year has been the best buying binge I have ever had. I bought six of my best numbers in the last 16 months....at "woe-is-them" prices. image >>

And how many coins did you sell?image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭
    No, and I am thankful every day that God has blessed someone with no talents such as myself (except maybe a desire to be the best I can be) with the means to provide well for myself and my family. Life is good!

Timimage
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Nope!
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>?????

Sounds like Moses! image >>

M-M-M-Moses was a st-st-st-st-stutterer. image >>

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another stupid off topic thread. I love the doom and gloom crowd. One could only hope they doom and gloom themselves into the grave.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Well there is no question that the economy is in the crapper.

The people that buy the gas-guzzlers are the ones in pain!
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    NOPE

NO DEBT

The only economy you need to worry about is your own
    micro-economyimage

This is my economy car

Jim
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    vplitevplite Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭
    Never! I presume you are talking about coins. I buy those with "play money" not any money I will ever have to live on.
    The Golden Rule: Those with the gold make the rules.
  • Options
    lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720

<< <i>I fired my landscapers and bought a few goats... with milk at $4.50 a gallon they serve a dual purpose! image Broadstruck >>

Git rid of yer mistress and your goats can serve a third purpose and you can save even more money.

Ray
  • Options

<< <i>Another stupid off topic thread. I love the doom and gloom crowd. One could only hope they doom and gloom themselves into the grave. >>

How's this off topic?
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sold (and am selling) a number of type coins in order to fund half dime purchases. I drive a Jetta TDI, so I don't really pay too much attention to fuel price woes.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No matter what the media say, as much as many of us hate higher prices, the sky isn't falling for most people, and I'm sick of their doomsday talk which makes it a self-fulfilling prophecy. >>

BINGO!

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>the Times Driven You To Sell? >>

No doubt the New York Times is a fount of liberal propaganda but so far I've resisted the urge to sell coins. image

Who is John Galt?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I fired my landscapers and bought a few goats... with milk at $4.50 a gallon they serve a dual purpose! image Broadstruck >>

Git rid of yer mistress and your goats can serve a third purpose and you can save even more money.

Ray >>

You are sick and depraved, Ray. Actually, I had the same thought.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Yes,

I cannot afford what I have bought recently and am selling older stuff out of my focus to cover it. If times were good I could keep everything. image
  • Options
    cinman14cinman14 Posts: 2,489

<< <i>Git rid of yer mistress and your goats can serve a third purpose and you can save even more money. >>

imageimageimage

OMG

That's aginst the law aint it.....image

Don't forget to put boots on her so she can't run off......image
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since I always spend as much as I can, yes, the extra $1000 a year in gas expenses will eat into my collection/inventory. Whether I sell an extra thousand in coins or buy a thousand less is moot.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Ray >>

Not sure if this forum would be big enough for another member that's so close to his farm animal? image

imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    I don't like banks, if i want cash its as easy as selling a coin.
    Gold sovereign's, or maple leafs. Just like in the old days, they are small, and easy to hide.
    Tax free.
    Humblepie

I have found power in the mysteries of thought.

It is always a question of knowing and seeing, and not that of believing.

Our virtues, and our failings are inseparable, like force, and matter. When they separate, man is no more.

• Options
    21Walker21Walker Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭

Nope. Had a sale a couple of weeks ago only to make room in the safe. Didn't work, so now I have to have another sale. Must be because I buying more than I'm selling......Oh well.......Rick
    If don't look like UNC, it probrably isn't UNC.....U.S. Coast Guard. Chief Petty Officer (Retired) (1970-1990)

EBAY Items
    http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZrlamir
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't like banks, if i want cash its as easy as selling a coin.
    Gold sovereign's, or maple leafs. Just like in the old days, they are small, and easy to hide.
    Tax free. >>

Completely irrelevant and unrelated information for folks:

All data going through the internet is scanned by the Ewe Ess gub m!nt. Much is recorded.

(U.S. Government...who am I kidding, thinking I can hide this information from prying eyes)

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

Not sellin' anything yet brothers. I got the rent paid thru next week so I guess I can slide for a while longer. image
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    What times is everyone talking about? Life is indeed good, I've been able to add quite a few early commems over the past year at very decent prices.

I guess I'm with Classof67, no real skills but having a grand old time. It's almost always better to be lucky than good.
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.

What tough times?

My biggest problem is getting the 401k/ profit sharing program online for 2008 so I don't suffer the bloodbath of 2007 with the Eternal, er, Internal Revenue Service again. image

I do expect this kind of negative talk from the Liberal media in an election year, where they want their "new ideas" (tax the rich) to get them into office.

Class envy works, too.
  • Options
    The economy is fine here in Houston. Sure gas has gone up a good percentage and some food items here, but other than that there still are plenty of jobs at the same pay.
    Trustworthy BST sellers: cucamongacoin
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    << Have the Times Driven You To Sell? >>

No, but the wife might image
  • Options
    DJCoinzDJCoinz Posts: 3,856
    Nope.
    aka Dan
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Not even close.

No matter what the media say, as much as many of us hate higher prices, the sky isn't falling for most people, and I'm sick of their doomsday talk which makes it a self-fulfilling prophecy. >>

Well said !!!!
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    MercfanMercfan Posts: 700 ✭✭
    The current economic climate has had no effect on my buying or selling of coins. However, "the times" have led me to sell some of the (ridiculously many) Lincoln cents I've accumulated over the past few years.

It's "Lincoln time"! It's time I let go of some of them. It's a time when a lot of folks want them. And the concurrence of those times has driven me to sell some of them.

Good times!

"Coin collecting problem"? What "coin collecting problem"?
  • Options
    << Not even close.

No matter what the media say, as much as many of us hate higher prices, the sky isn't falling for most people, and I'm sick of their doomsday talk which makes it a self-fulfilling prophecy. >>

• Options
    bfjohnsonbfjohnson Posts: 537 ✭✭✭
    <I fired my landscapers and bought a few goats... with milk at $4.50 a gallon they serve a dual purpose!>

I did milk a goat for the first time this past weekend. I tried to get my 3 year old to do it, but she wanted daddy to do it instead. I even got a ribbon saying "I milked a dairy goat" I know it's sad but I was excited and it now hangs on my fridge.image
  • Options
    I hope some of the people that say they won't need ever need help don't ever have something happen to them that shows them otherwise. A member of my church got sick and needed care for a 2 years and WITH INSURANCE his medical bills were in the mid six figures. You don't know what the future holds and people look foolish for thinking they do.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file