Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Inaugural Murphy/Legend Auction Now Live.

Link. Whatcha think?

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like good material, however, I do not do 'auctions' from these venues. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Looks like they took their retail prices, subtracted 15%, made it a buyers fee, anc called it an auction...--jerry
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Look at all the stickers!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Looks like they took their retail prices, subtracted 15%, made it a buyers fee, anc called it an auction...--jerry >>

Pretty boring.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    Look at all the stickers!!!

None of the coins in which I might be interested are CAC'd. Should I infer something negative? image
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I sent in a request to be an approved bidder, but I never heard back. image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like they took their retail prices, subtracted 15%, made it a buyers fee, anc called it an auction...--jerry >>

I've recieved a PM from a very knowledgeable numismatist that this is not a true statement. I'll take a closer look at these auctions tonight. --Jerry
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Longacre:

Maybe the fact that you have heard nothing back means that you have heard something back. image
    Mark

• Options
    Maybe the fact that you have heard nothing back means that you have heard something back. image

Or Mrs. Longacre intercepted the e-mail. image
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think if Mrs. Longacre had intercepted the email, Mr. Longacre would have "heard something back."
    Mark

• Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think if Mrs. Longacre had intercepted the email, Mr. Longacre would have "heard something back." >>

Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Look at all the stickers!!!

None of the coins in which I might be interested are CAC'd. Should I infer something negative? image >>

That was my first thought too..... Conspicuous by their absence....MIke
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Look at all the stickers!!!

None of the coins in which I might be interested are CAC'd. Should I infer something negative? image >>

That was my first thought too..... Conspicuous by their absence....MIke >>

That is always an issue with a mixed CAC/non-CAC inventory. It is also an issue with a mixed slabbed and raw inventory.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coins are sold "as is." It is up to the discretion of the auctioneer to accept returns if they are made 3 days after receipt of the material.
    This is pretty standard, these days. Bottom line as I see it is either you view the coins, have a trusted rep view the coins, or you shouldn't bid.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options

<< <i>Coins are sold "as is." It is up to the discretion of the auctioneer to accept returns if they are made 3 days after receipt of the material.
    This is pretty standard, these days. Bottom line as I see it is either you view the coins, have a trusted rep view the coins, or you shouldn't bid. >>

...and people b.itch about ebay sellers with a no return policy
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• Options
    I have it on very good authority that these coins are not from Legend inventory but from consignors (mostly collectors) and that the coins were not submitted to the CAC by Legend on their behalf. I follow the Legend inventory fairly closely, and I do not recognize any "old friends" in the auction. The reserves are posted, and the coins have been made available for viewing. EOM
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like they took their retail prices, subtracted 15%, made it a buyers fee, anc called it an auction...--jerry >>

I see that on some but some also have a low starting bid.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    hm. just one very boring 1881 liberty half eagle that does not
    excite me for the grade, via pics, and has a cac sticker.

pass. maybe next time huh?
  • Options
    I have it on very good authority that these coins are not from Legend inventory but from consignors (mostly collectors) and that the coins were not submitted to the CAC by Legend on their behalf. I follow the Legend inventory fairly closely, and I do not recognize any "old friends" in the auction. The reserves are posted, and the coins have been made available for viewing. EOM

You forgot the quotation marks. image
  • Options

<< <i>I have it on very good authority that these coins are not from Legend inventory but from consignors (mostly collectors) and that the coins were not submitted to the CAC by Legend on their behalf. I follow the Legend inventory fairly closely, and I do not recognize any "old friends" in the auction. The reserves are posted, and the coins have been made available for viewing. EOM

You forgot the quotation marks. image >>

I paraphrased and added my own two cents. Couldn't you tell? image
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    There is nothing worth bidding on in the half dollar section.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    The images really are not that great.

In fact, for an auction firm, they really suck.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like another wannabe auction company. Why would anyone want to consign their coins here when there are so many well established auction firms?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1C 1877 PCGS XF45. CAC. A GEM XF! This Coin has NO visible impairments. The wear is even and very light. Both sides are a deeper chocolate color. Miss Liberty and the details are clearly visible and are exceptionally struck. This coin is truly a GEM XF45!

With a description lake that, I would expect it to have full diamonds (XF-45) or seperation between the hair curl and ribbon (XF-40). But does it?

Edited to add: I'm just trying to get everyone off it. I'll bid up to my VF-30 buy price.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1C 1877 PCGS XF45. CAC. A GEM XF! This Coin has NO visible impairments. The wear is even and very light. Both sides are a deeper chocolate color. Miss Liberty and the details are clearly visible and are exceptionally struck. This coin is truly a GEM XF45!

With a description lake that, I would expect it to have full diamonds (XF-45) or seperation between the hair curl and ribbon (XF-40). But does it? >>

eagleeye, you are the one dealer that i know is part of cac that is
    very open with your opinions and i appreciate that.

i have had discussions with another dealer who is part of cac and
    well, he thinks it can do no wrong.

basically you are saying to me that in this case, the coin might not/is not
    what the description is saying and frankly i never heard the term
    GEM put in the same sentence with XF45. reminds me of legend speak.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There is nothing worth bidding on in the half dollar section.

Russ, NCNE >>

Only one thing worth bidding on in the half eagle section and it is way out of my price range.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's some stickered dogs in there too! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

<< <i>There's some stickered dogs in there too! image >>

Some? Seems like over half of the gold was stickered, did not check the others. My guess is that a lot of this is Legend inventory being auctioned off.

edited: I did not mean to imply that the gold were dogs, I only meant that a very large portion was stickered. i.e. more than some.
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    not interested, but I wish them well image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin itself is quite nice (1877 1c), but I've drawn a line and said in print that an XF has to have seperation between the hair curl and ribbon and XF-45 has to have full diamonds (choice XF) and I stick by it. When I wrote it back in 1993 it was the standard. With TPG's slipping the grading standards and CAC acknowledging it, it's a hard batte to overcome. So I call them what I grade them regardless of what the holder says and price it accordingly. But it won''t sell for anywhere near what I sell XF-45's (full diamonds) for.

It is not the auction companies fault that both PCGS and CAC overgraded it. It is their description though. Should they caution the buyer or offer flowery verbage?
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I track Legends inventory very closely (especially now that they are carrying a nice pattern selection) and I just don't see where they are dumping old inventory in this auction?? I really don't understand the negative vibe of this thread. IMO competition is always good for the consumer and I view this new venture as another potential source to acquire new coins for my collection.
  • Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I track Legends inventory very closely (especially now that they are carrying a nice pattern selection) and I just don't see where they are dumping old inventory in this auction?? I really don't understand the negative vibe of this thread. IMO competition is always good for the consumer and I view this new venture as another potential source to acquire new coins for my collection. >>

I follow several retailers closely, and I may be mistaken but I believe lot #90 was recently in their inventory. It was one of several examples from different retailers I cited recently when speaking with someone regarding blast white seated quarters and their questionable originality. Not to single out Legend of course, they would never handle enhanced coins, right? ;&gtimage

I agree that competition is good, and I welcome their new venture, regardless of my differences on this and other venues with some of the principals. I registered last night and found a few coins interesting, having participated in some of Legends auctions in the past and having picked up a few nice coins there. JMHO, but anyone taking on the 800 pound gorilla of coin auctions even in a small way has to be given a little credit, though I have to admit the bulk of my auction coin purchases are from them.

John

Edited for my butchering of the English language...
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have yet to go through all the lots, but you have to give Laura some credit in lot 61 where she starts off the description of a PCGS MS64 graded 1860 Seated dime with "Questionable color". Of course, if I were the consignor it might not make me happy...
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    have it on very good authority that these coins are not from Legend inventory but from consignors

I believe the 1890 25c in NGC PF68 is from Legend's inventory. Recall seeing such a coin very recently, but no longer listed in inventory.

I see some decent seated halves in the sale, but I've shied away from auctions that I don't attend in person.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i>Sounds like another wannabe auction company. Why would anyone want to consign their coins here when there are so many well established auction firms? >>

If I were starting a new auction firm, I would probably offer guaranteed minimums to perspective consignors and would expect to lose money for a period of time. By limiting the downside for consignors, but not capping the upside, it could be very attractive for those looking to sell coins. I do not know if Legend has done such a deal, but I intend to find out. image
  • Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not saying that Legend hasn't consigned material to this auction and why wouldn't they? It just doesn't look like they are dumping "stale" inventory here. IMO most of the coins in this sale appear to be from consignors possibly even other dealers? In the end what does it matter? Isn't it still about the coins offered in any given sale? When they list coins of interest I'll be bidding.

As a side note. I wonder how many coins Heritage consigns to their Signature sales each year?image
  • Options
    There is certainly an opportunity for an auction house where you can have some confidence in the descriptions and it seems they are trying to do that. It's accepted that descriptions from the other auction houses are not accurate.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of the descriptions are pretty brash or written to promote the crackout game -- very classy.

"There is a $280.00 sight UNSEEN WHOLESALE BID for ANY piece of junk."
    "This groups was just graded at PCGS, and has only been in once The coins have NOT been to NGC."
    "A real AU! This is NOT a scrubbed up retread!"

Nevertheless, if there's stuff I want for the price I want to pay, I'll bid.

• Options

<< <i>The coin itself is quite nice (1877 1c), but I've drawn a line and said in print that an XF has to have seperation between the hair curl and ribbon and XF-45 has to have full diamonds (choice XF) and I stick by it. When I wrote it back in 1993 it was the standard. With TPG's slipping the grading standards and CAC acknowledging it, it's a hard batte to overcome. So I call them what I grade them regardless of what the holder says and price it accordingly. But it won''t sell for anywhere near what I sell XF-45's (full diamonds) for.

It is not the auction companies fault that both PCGS and CAC overgraded it. It is their description though. Should they caution the buyer or offer flowery verbage? >>

This is why I will always go by your sticker over anyone else's sticker or slab. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Sounds like another wannabe auction company. Why would anyone want to consign their coins here when there are so many well established auction firms? >>

If I were starting a new auction firm, I would probably offer guaranteed minimums to perspective consignors and would expect to lose money for a period of time. By limiting the downside for consignors, but not capping the upside, it could be very attractive for those looking to sell coins. I do not know if Legend has done such a deal, but I intend to find out. image >>

If I understand correctly this is not a start up or wannabe auction firm. They have been around for a while, they just did not specialize in coins which is why Legend teamed up with them, they have experience.
  • Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭

<< <i> have it on very good authority that these coins are not from Legend inventory but from consignors

I believe the 1890 25c in NGC PF68 is from Legend's inventory. Recall seeing such a coin very recently, but no longer listed in inventory.

I see some decent seated halves in the sale, but I've shied away from auctions that I don't attend in person.

roadrunner >>

Hi roadrunner... yes, same coin I mentioned , lot #90. There are two interesting halves in the auction, one an AU that is a tough date, but I don't like the fact that it's white... it may not have been "harshly cleaned" but I suspect it's been dipped of course at some point in the past. The other is MS, but again as you've mentioned I am hesitant to bid on something sight unseen unless someone else has seen it in hand and described the coin to me. BTW, I'm sure you've seen them, but there is a nice run of seated halves (and quarters) in the upcoming Long Beach auction...

John

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file