Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1953-S S/S is a scarce Franklin RPM!

I have looked closely at every 53-S that passes thru my hands for this RPM but never found one.

This is the first I have ever even seen offered!

Anybody else got one? Anything this scarce is probably worth searching for...
"Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
and they're cold.
I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
Mary

Best Franklin Website

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Interesting reults with the RPM.

How much of a premium are we talking about?
  • Options
    Do you have a close up picture ??

Dan
    Fishing is not a matter of life and death.......It's much more important than that........
  • Options
    vplitevplite Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭
    Do you have any information on exactly what to look for?

Thanks.
    The Golden Rule: Those with the gold make the rules.
  • Options
    Bossman88Bossman88 Posts: 638 ✭✭
    The new Cherrypickers Guide page 266

" The secondary S is evident northwest of the primary S.
    Strike doubling can be detected at the top of the primary S on the speciman examined. "

Regards, Larry
  • Options
    It realized $340 + juice.
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's the sort of thing that if I found it I'd be a happy camper, but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy one.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmmmm... I will have to check my Frankies.... was not aware of this one... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328

S/S Northwest. Stage B: Die scratches East-West through mintmark – MDS

• Options
    I have a 53 S/S rpm attributed by a TPG other than PCGS. I got it for around $35 on Ebay about a month or two ago. Is the CP variety the only one known for this date? Does anyone have any good pics of the CP variety so I can compare?
  • Options
    I went 0 for 40 with a couple of UNC rolls last year.
    But I was more interested in the bell lines & grade than the S.image
    Hope I didn't miss one.
    OLDER IS BETTER
  • Options
    Great 4 u trying to stir up some interest in this series via a RPM .............. but can't one of you young whippersnappin' buckaroo's post a pix ?
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Great 4 u trying to stir up some interest in this series via a RPM .............. but can't one of you young whippersnappin' buckaroo's post a pix ? >>

Can;t you spring for a CPG?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    I got the best pics I could of mine, they might not help much. I don't know if this is the CP variety. It's in a ANACS63 holder labeled 1953 S/S.

pic1
    pic2
  • Options
    Yes, Frklnlvr, that is it!

and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    I thought since it was such a low grade (ANACS63) that it wasn't worth a crossover to PCGS. What do you think? It looks accurately graded to me.
  • Options
    It might be worth it even at 63.

The one that sold at Teletrade for $340 was in April.

In the interval between then and now, PCGS has created the Franklin w/varieties Registry Set.

This usually increases demand for a variety exponentially, although last time I looked, there were not too many players for this set.
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    I've really gotten into Franklin varieties(doubled dies, RPMs) in the past year. I'm not doing it for the registry necessarily. Most of the varieties I have are ANACS graded. There's a lot more attributed varieties and there usually cheaper. I don't have a high budget so I just try to find nice MS coins usually in the 63-65 range. Ill get a photo of the obv. and rev. to see what you think of the grade.
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It might
    In the interval between then and now, PCGS has created the Franklin w/varieties Registry Set.

This usually increases demand for a variety exponentially, although last time I looked, there were not too many players for this set. >>

Good maybe my 49 s/s RPM 1 will be worth something, it's in an old ANACS MS64 holder.
  • Options

<< <i>I got the best pics I could of mine, they might not help much. I don't know if this is the CP variety. It's in a ANACS63 holder labeled 1953 S/S.

pic1
    pic2 >>

WOW ! pretty good pix I say
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I got the best pics I could of mine, they might not help much. I don't know if this is the CP variety. It's in a ANACS63 holder labeled 1953 S/S.

pic1
    pic2 >>

WOW ! pretty good pix I say >>

Thank you, I took them through a loupe. I'm not a good photographer and I didn't know whether anyone could tell much from them. Here are the photos of the obv and rev, see if you think the grade is accurate.

Pic 53 S/S
  • Options
    I can see no reason it's not at least MS63 by any standards..............
  • Options
    I don't know why, but I am only able to view pic2 in it's entirety. The other 2 pics only load about 10% and then stop on my dial-upper.

I'll have to wait til Monday to try on a quicker puter. (I do know that Pawpaul has a pretty good eye for Frankies, for an old geezer anyway.)
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    I may send this for a cross-over. I also have a 57D PCGS64fbl that is rpm1 fs-501 unattributed so maybe I'll send both of these in for attribution.
  • Options
    Yes. looks like 63 is a reasonable grade. You don't see that many 53-S's that beat up, they are usually pretty free of dings...
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    Yea the only reason I bought it was for the RPM, it was around $35
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a 53 S/S rpm attributed by a TPG other than PCGS. I got it for around $35 on Ebay about a month or two ago. >>

That's interesting. I sold one on eBay a month or two ago.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    I went back and looked and I bought mine from a Russ S., I'm willing to bet this was you.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file