Home U.S. Coin Forum

Another Barber dime grade guess....bought this an hour ago for sheet ask!

For those dealers who think getting anything decent at or about sheet money is a fantasy, take a look at what can be bought at EXACTLY sheet ask from an honest B&M dealer.

Comments

• dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    My thoughts on why you got it for ask: it might have something to do with toning. Not all collectors like that kind of toning...maybe the dealer didn't care for it either and didn't pay much for it. Therefore, he was able to sell it for ask. Also, in my experience red IHCs are tougher than late date unc Barber dimes.
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>First off, let me just say that I dig the new pickup. Nice coin for sure.

My thoughts on why you got it for ask: it might have something to do with toning. Not all collectors like that kind of toning...maybe the dealer didn't care for it either and didn't pay much for it. Therefore, he was able to sell it for ask. Also, in my experience red IHCs are tougher than late date unc Barber dimes. >>

Ok, but wheres your grade guess?...LOL

<< <i>Ok, but wheres your grade guess?...LOL >>

Oh, I can't really grade toned coins...maybe a 64?
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Did you ask him what he paid for it?image

AU50

<< <i>Did you ask him what he paid for it?image

AU50 >>

Wow you are stupid.image

<< <i>

<< <i>Did you ask him what he paid for it?image AU50 >>

Wow you are stupid.image >>

Why do I waste my time wrestling with pigs? It just makes me dirty too. I should never have bothered to post on your thread. I won't make that mistake again.--Jerry

<< <i>

<< <i>

Why do I waste my time wrestling with pigs? It just makes me dirty too. I should never have bothered to post on your thread. I won't make that mistake again.--Jerry >>

Only a numismatic midget would think the coin I posted is AU50....you couldnt be more wrong Jerry, but thats usually what you are, wrong.image

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Why do I waste my time wrestling with pigs? It just makes me dirty too. I should never have bothered to post on your thread. I won't make that mistake again.--Jerry >>

Only a numismatic midget would think the coin I posted is AU50....you couldnt be more wrong Jerry, but thats usually what you are, wrong.image >>

Dude, you're getting no guesses cause your pictures suck. I went out on a limb and gessed 50 because the one shot of the reverse may show some wear. Like I say, I won't waste my time on your threads again. --Jerry
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why do I waste my time wrestling with pigs? It just makes me dirty too. I should never have bothered to post on your thread. I won't make that mistake again.--Jerry

Jerry, you are learning, albeit the hard way. Here's my answer:

No comment.
  • rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    Rude posts and an unattractive coin, no guess here.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?

<< <i>Why do I waste my time wrestling with pigs? It just makes me dirty too. I should never have bothered to post on your thread. I won't make that mistake again.--Jerry Jerry, you are learning, albeit the hard way. Here's my answer: No comment. >>

Thanks Robert. --Jerry

<< <i>numismatic midget >>

Why would a collector's height have anything to do with his or her grading ability?
  • whatever you paid for that POS was too much

why bother grading that dog

<< <i>

<< <i>numismatic midget >>

Why would a collector's height have anything to do with his or her grading ability? >>

Anyone who would guess AU50 on that coin is a true numismatic midget. He is a little "short" on his grading skills.image

<< <i>whatever you paid for that POS was too much

why bother grading that dog >>

Why dont you show us a few of your Barber dimes.image

Edit: A 2 1/2 year member with 20 posts, but comes out to call my coin a POS? Gee, I wonder if this is an alt ID? Haha
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> A 2 1/2 year member with 20 posts, but comes out to call my coin a POS? Gee, I wonder if this is an alt ID? Haha >>

Gee, that sounds familiar. You accused me of the same thing. Not everyone has enough time on their hands to do 400 posts a month like you; some people actually have a life.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The plight of the migratory coconut is a marvelous thing.
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Dude, you're getting no guesses cause your pictures suck. >>

Whats wrong with the pictures? One is a little blurry, the reverse, and the other one is just fine on my monitor. The two slanted ones are not real good for a grade guess from anyone that uses that type.

gecko you should chill a little. BTW I like the coin.

Ken

<< <i>

<< <i> A 2 1/2 year member with 20 posts, but comes out to call my coin a POS? Gee, I wonder if this is an alt ID? Haha >>

Gee, that sounds familiar. You accused me of the same thing. Not everyone has enough time on their hands to do 400 posts a month like you; some people actually have a life. >>

It is a tad bit funny though that you have time to post in my threads.image
  • Gecko, this series is not my strong suit but I'd venture a guess of 62.

I'm not a huge fan of the toning but the color might look more vibrant in hand.
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually I had a few free minutes to surf the threads, and was curious about the subject coin: I thought perhaps you were seeking opinions on whether you should remove the toning and what look to be some tiny carbon spots. I'd go with NCS.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • This tread is only more proof that gecko109 really is a no class jerk who only values his opinions and no one elses.........I for one am done with him and his threads of complaints.....no more waste of my time.............get a life gecko109 and good luck.
    Fountain of Useless Information
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the coin looks nice, though the images are a bit out-of-focus on my screen and the depth of field is poor. My interpretation is that the color is original and is likely dominated by medium-depth auburn that has swirls of distinct green and red throughout. The portrait appears to have a little chatter and there may be some scuffiness in the obverse field in front of the portrait. Given the limitations of the images, I would expect an MS63 or MS64 grade. Even though I happen to think the coin is likely attractive, I realize from my own experience that not all folks like this look on their Barber coinage.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• <<<Rude posts and an unattractive coin, no guess here.>>>

image There is no excuse for insulting people on here, especially someone just commenting.

<< <i><<<Rude posts and an unattractive coin, no guess here.>>>

image There is no excuse for insulting people on here, especially someone just commenting. >>

Unless the comment was in fact influenced by some type of personal dislike between members. Who would EVER grade this coin an AU50 from even my "crappy" photos? Jerry and I have seen things differently on other topics, and have locked horns before. But those differences should be left aside for grade guessing posts. He knows its not an AU50 coin.image
  • Bossman88Bossman88 Posts: 638 ✭✭
    MS63
    But simply a guess on my part.

My humble way of trying to get
    thread back on an easy track

Regards, Larryimage
  • My guess is a 63 but I agree with others that the quality of the photo's makes this opinion more of a guess that usual. I don't have a problem with the toning...makes the coin look more original that a lot of the dipped out ones but I would also not pay a premium for the toning which you didn't. All in all a descent coin......not above or below average for me so if you got it for sheet price for the grade then you shouldn't be burried in the coin.
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My opinion is that the coin is an MS62, due to the small marks. Nice luster though.
    Since there are no sheet prices for MS62, my guess is that you bought this as an MS63 coin.
    Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • vplitevplite Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭
    Simma down Gecko. You would be better of ignoring obviously insulting posts.

Like others, I could not grade this coin because of my lack of experience. I would guess the toning kept the price down. It seems unusual.
    The Golden Rule: Those with the gold make the rules.
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭
    I know it is probably just the photos but it looks like Mrs. Barber was cleaned. Fields look nice though.

Cant really guess the grade, could be AU-65 with those photos.
  • With the slight "baggy"-ness on the cheek and the nice luster (with possibly a few small breaks), this coin should grade MS64.
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Sheet-money price, sheet-money coin. What's so earth-shattering about this?
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    p.s. the coin looks like an AU piece which was (over-/market) graded by NGC as a 63 or 64, and it doesn't surprise me in the least that the coin was purchased for Ask. Does that make me a "numismatic midget", does that make the buyer a "numismatic midget", or do we just have different opinions?
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • busco69busco69 Posts: 815 ✭✭
    au 58 I see some rub.
    ''Coin collecting is the only hobby where you can spend all your money and still have some left''
  • nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Rude posts and an unattractive coin, no guess here. >>

bingo!image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS63/64 Barber dimes have not been particularly strong the past few years, same goes for the current market. It's not hard to find these in the "bid" to "ask" range. 3 weeks ago I piced up a dipped but blasty rattler MS64+ Barber that was pretty close to 65 shot money for $260 ("ask"). And even at that level I'm not sure it was a bargain. I've not had good luck with 63-65 Barber dimes. At least 65's are finally to awaken on the sheets.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    63. I like the look as well.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Hey! Hold it! I know you are stupid too! Gecko shouldn't get all the credit image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

<< <i><<<Rude posts and an unattractive coin, no guess here.>>>

image There is no excuse for insulting people on here, especially someone just commenting. >>

Normally, I would agree with you, but for the poster who gave his comment, he has nothing positive to add to a few folks but he still chimes in their threads. He just spoils for arguments and likes to be negative to start it.

I have no love lost for gecko, nor do I believe he for me, but the pics aren't that bad, the coin could appeal to some (I don't personally like that type of toning but I won't slam his coin in a post), and, in this case, I don't think he was just being negative...rather, someone has been needling him repeatedly and he said something.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• TassaTassa Posts: 2,373 ✭✭
    Not a bad coin. You bought it at Greysheet ask. Why is this a big deal? There are lots of coins that dealers would sell around sheet and there are lots of coins for which dealers would pay way over sheet.

If you like the coin and are happy with the price isn't that all that matters?

<< <i>Not a bad coin. You bought it at Greysheet ask. Why is this a big deal? There are lots of coins that dealers would sell around sheet and there are lots of coins for which dealers would pay way over sheet.

If you like the coin and are happy with the price isn't that all that matters? >>

Tassa, you are right, but I think you have missed a few recent threads where some experiences were posted (about dealers who made obscenely low offers, or who had obscenely high prices for common looking, common date, coins) where the poster(s) got slightly attacked by dealers on the boards. The OP's point was exactly what you stated....it shouldn't be a big deal to get a nice coin around sheet price from good dealers.

Yes, one will pay up (usually) for really nice coins, or hard to find ones, but for "common" type coins, there are dealers who will sell for good prices.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file