Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

the finest known 1917s buffalo ms 67 -pop 1-image added page 6

A 1917S NGC MS 67- Finest known to date by either NGC or PCGS. What do you say a coin like this is worth to the high end registry people seeing that it is the only one graded?image
ed rodrigues

Comments

• Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    Seeing as it isn't graded by PCGS, not much to PCGS registry people. No idea on NGC, but I would question why it wasn't graded by PCGS.

edited to add, wow, I take that back, in PCGS 65 or 66, thats a big coin, but I still wonder why it isn't in PCGS plastic ???
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    capecape Posts: 1,621
    Trust me rg coinguy when i say it won't matter ! This coin is amazing, the finest i've ever seen and once again NGC is going to gain more publicity for having the first !image
    ed rodrigues
  • Options
    might we see a pic? image
    ....and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make....

The Beatles
  • Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting, Ed... Here is some research on sales of 66's.

Heritage: $8,912.50 (May 07, PCGS)
    $11,500 (April 07, PCGS)
    $4,887.50 (May 07, NGC)
    $5,750 (June 06, NGC)
    $6,900 (April 06, NGC)

Also, the "imaginary" Bluesheet bids for 67's are somewhat comical: $15,000 PCGS, $11,000 NGC. I would definitely expert a reasonably graded 67 to sell for much more (especially if a few certain Buffalo collectors decided to fight over it.) image
    Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    I assume then that this is yours and a big Congrats is in order image

Pics would be good though! Rob
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    ed rodrigues
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

"Seeing as it isn't graded by PCGS, not much to PCGS registry people."
    -----

Yeah, it's the wrong flavor Kool-Aid.

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    Newcomp103Newcomp103 Posts: 2,223
    Is David Lange still grading for NGC??? If he is, I wonder if he may have graded this one??? Cant wait to see it!
  • Options
    David Lange only works for NGC. He is not a grader. I'm sure he got to see this coin !
    ed rodrigues
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing $15,000 - $18,000.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options

<< <i>Is David Lange still grading for NGC??? If he is, I wonder if he may have graded this one??? Cant wait to see it! >>

Dave is the numismatic director for NGC. He is not a grader, but I'll ask him if he's seen it.

• Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

Congrats ED!image
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    Shamika, I'm guessing a lot more than that ----- at least 10 times more! Thanks brian !! image
    ed rodrigues
  • Options

<< <i>Shamika, I'm guessing a lot more than that ----- at least 10 times more! Thanks brian !! image >>

$150,000+ would be an incredible price. I'll keep an eye on it.

• Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    Since it's in a NGC holder we have to come down a grade so I'd say maybe 75-100 bucks.
  • Options
    DREAM ON GRIV!
    ed rodrigues
  • Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭
    Since it's in a NGC holder we have to come down a grade so I'd say maybe 75-100 bucks.

Griv, If you have similar coins (+- same rarity as this date) to sell for $75-$100, they will sell like hotcakes! We'll buy them all!
    Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • Options
    After seeing the Buffs that Ed flashes around at the Baltimore shows, I can only dream what this one looks like!

I'll be looking forward to my Platinum catalog for this summer's ANA. image

Garrow
  • Options
    caitlincaitlin Posts: 858 ✭✭✭
    I can see this coin bringing 150K + as well. image
    A collector of high grade TONED BUFFALO NICKELS ,working on a PCGS REGISTRY SET.
  • Options
    Okay, but it would still cross at a MS66 and that's more like $12K. Someone would be crazy to spend $150K on that coin. IMO
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    Okay, but it would still cross at a MS66 and that's more like $12K. Someone would be crazy to spend $150K on that coin. IMO

The coin will speak for itself. Loudly.
  • Options

<< <i>Okay, but it would still cross at a MS66 and that's more like $12K. Someone would be crazy to spend $150K on that coin. IMO

The coin will speak for itself. Loudly. >>

It doesn't even have the EARLY RELEASE label. Who will want it?
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good question... a range in the $100K to $150K seems probable

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    What. are you guys on commission? This is a 12-15K coin tops. I'd give you 7K myself, but only if it is toned. I guarantee it would only grade MS66 in PCGS so 100-150K for this is a joke and you should be ashamed hyping this coin to the moon. Fools and their money. image
  • Options

<< <i>What. are you guys on commission? This is a 12-15K coin tops. I'd give you 7K myself, but only if it is toned. I guarantee it would only grade MS66 in PCGS so 100-150K for this is a joke and you should be ashamed hyping this coin to the moon. Fools and their money. image >>

Griv...since you do not know if it is toned or not I am going to assume you have not seen this coin....how can you make a determination on value??? Are you going by a price guide and downgrading it a point simply because it is in an NGC Holder???? There are a ton of moon money coins that have been certified by NGC! High grade coins bring high bids. I haven't seen it either, I am not trying to argue how nice or not nice the coin actually is...I just think you are making a unreasonable decision based on what 2 things....NGC and MS67! See the coin, then make an informed judgement!

Shawn
  • Options
    DJCoinzDJCoinz Posts: 3,856

<< <i>What. are you guys on commission? This is a 12-15K coin tops. I'd give you 7K myself, but only if it is toned. I guarantee it would only grade MS66 in PCGS so 100-150K for this is a joke and you should be ashamed hyping this coin to the moon. Fools and their money. image >>

Jeez, step away from the koolaid griv. All I'll say is good luck getting it for less than $50K.
    aka Dan
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

well it is the type of coin that many people will view in hand to
    determine for themselves. i cannot imagine it going for more then 100,000
    but that is just me.. thinking to myself, my gawd that is a lot of money
    for a buff nickel.

i hope when it does sell someone will update this thread so we can
    all see how it plays out.

edited to add: once again i have to remember this technique of pimping my coins
    when it comes time for me to sell....
  • Options
    I've got my share of pop 1 or 2 coins that are the keys and they are all PCGS, not second rate, so I think I can at least comment on this. More than 15K for this coin, seen or unseen, is insanity. We are talking EGO money here and that's BS if you ask me. It's a buffalo nickel for God's sake.

I'm not trying to step on your cash cow but this is insane. It's almost criminal.

And no CAC sticker either. image
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer the value in 19th century dated material where a 6 figure coin usually is pop 1 and often finest by multiple points. On top of that there might only be 1-12 uncs known, not hundreds. And total pops in all grades is 150-250 rather than thousands or tens of thousands. I like that kind of value.

At $150K this buff would be on top of the world.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    griv is the type of person monsterman has made a fortune on.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    I must be one of those fools then. I would be more than happy to pay 60K for it knowing I could make a substantial profit on the coin at that level. And yes, I have seen the coin. I was the underbidder to CAPE in the auction with the set of Buffs that this coin was in. I hope GRIV is just joking when he states that the only grading service that matters with Buffalo nickels is PCGS. That statement is taking the drinking of koolaid to a new low.
    PCGS has gotten very tight on pop top coins in particular the last few years. As an example, I had a 1913-D T2 in NGC MS68 in the Bowers preFUN sale. The coin brought $143,750. It was the nicest 13-D T2 I or anyone else that knows Buffs has ever seen. I tried a few times to cross the coin to no avail. A few years ago, the coin would have been a slam dunk to grade PCGS 68. There were three different collectors in the bidding at 100k plus the juice. Just goes to show that nice coins need not be in PCGS holders to bring real money.
    David Schweitz
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    coin brought $143,750. It was the nicest 13-D T2 I or anyone else that knows Buffs has ever seen.

Then what difference would it had made had PCGS graded it MS67? Since it was the nicest 13-D T2 you or anyone else that knows Buffs has ever seen, wouldn't the coin still have fetched the same price?

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options

<< <i>I must be one of those fools then. I would be more than happy to pay 60K for it knowing I could make a substantial profit on the coin at that level. And yes, I have seen the coin. I was the underbidder to CAPE in the auction with the set of Buffs that this coin was in. I hope GRIV is just joking when he states that the only grading service that matters with Buffalo nickels is PCGS. That statement is taking the drinking of koolaid to a new low...There were three different collectors in the bidding at 100k plus the juice. Just goes to show that nice coins need not be in PCGS holders to bring real money. >>

aka Dan
  • Options
    caitlincaitlin Posts: 858 ✭✭✭
    David - MS-68 is the worlds best when it comes to grading Buffalo Nickels, so I respect his opioin 100%. PCGS has tightened up 1-2 points, as well as NGC. Anyone that knows what they're talking about and really knows Buffalos Nickels would agree. I remember an NGC ms-66 25-d Buff that broke PCGS record last yr in the Heritage auction. Auction #444 lot #1595, This coin was tried twice at PCGS, 2 yrs ago would of upgraded 1st shot. And we all know why they tightened up, an unnamed person ticked them off, now everyone else has to suffer. So don't rule out NGC here they have and will CONTINUE to bring ALL the money and GLORY for top pop coins.
    A collector of high grade TONED BUFFALO NICKELS ,working on a PCGS REGISTRY SET.
  • Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

You can go to the bank with what MS68 says about this coin. Ed proclaimed to me when he bought the set that this coin was going to be the first MS67 1917S Buff! Along with MS68 he and caitlin know their stuff!
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    For you Griv - seeing that your a nonbeleiver in NGC coins check out the BOWERS AND MERENA CENTRAL STATES BUFFALO NICKELS. These aren't my coins but look at the prices these great buffs are bid up to!! In reference to this 1917s , it looks like a 1921 p as far as the strike goes(which is probably the best struck buffalo in the series) Lets just say before we consigned this coin we were offered over 100k - So i guess we'll see in july at the Baltimore ANA what the result will be! image
    ed rodrigues
  • Options
    I'm not trying to imply that you Buff experts don't know your stuff, but $150K. Come on. All that is, is deep pockets and ego talking. I ought to buy the damn thing just to chap your butts. Crack it and send it to PCGS. You know I've started buying some of that crusty old crud lately and I'm just crazy enough to do it. I'll need to figure out how to tell the Misses later, but later is not today. image
  • Options
    Got quiet all of a sudden. Maybe this is a sign that I need a crusty, worthless, overgraded buffalo nickel.

Any bets on the cross? All you NGC fans have a chance to be a part of what might be a defining moment. Can we get a few photos or is this one of those 4 feedback, photos are for idiots auction?

I'll cut you 10K right now and I think I am being quite generous. It'll be 8K after it fails to sell so this is your best chance. IMO

Any more would be pure . . .

• Options
    Griv, I'm a fan of the coin , not the plastic ! GO AHEAD BUY YOUR CRUSTY BUFFALO! image
    ed rodrigues
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not quite sure I understand all the nuances of who owns what, so I'll ask nicely ... is this a SPAM thread? image
  • Options

<< <i>Just goes to show that nice coins need not be in PCGS holders to bring real money. >>

Amen to that! Buy the COIN, not the plastic.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm not quite sure I understand all the nuances of who owns what, so I'll ask nicely ... is this a SPAM thread? image >>

Let me give it to you straight:

YES
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm not quite sure I understand all the nuances of who owns what, so I'll ask nicely ... is this a SPAM thread? image >>

YES >>

Would anyone who has posted praise of this coin in this thread who does NOT own part of the coin in question, please raise your hand? image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

YES >>

Would anyone who has posted praise of this coin in this thread who does NOT own part of the coin in question, please raise your hand? image >>

I think that covers most of us...image
    aka Dan
  • Options
    This thread has suddenly polarized after my guess that the coin would sell for $15-18,000. But I'm not taking sides with Griv, Ed, Caitlin, MS68, or anyone else.

I'm sure the coin maybe the finest 17-S Buffalo anyone has ever seen, but that doesn't mean that PCGS will grade it MS67. And if this coin was offered in a PCGS MS66 slab, I can't believe the price would not be adversely affected as a result. The coin may deserve to be called the most valuable 1917-S Buffalo nickel on the planet, but $150,000 seems a bit much. But then again, I can only afford this date in the 63 to 64 grades so what do I know.

With that said, does anyone know if the coin was last purchased raw or was it already graded? And if it was already graded, what and by whom was it graded?

• Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508
    please ignore the ill-informed Kool-Aid drinkers on this forum, they certainly like to come out of the woodwork anytime they think there is a reason. Congrats on the coin, that will certainly make a treasure in anyone's collection i'm sure!

• Options
    I'm not trying to pee in anyone's cornflakes, I hope you get the 150K for it, that's not been my point and more power to you if you do. It's just $150K+ is off the charts. I'm sure it is a awesome, beautiful nickel and a prize at any price.

• Options

<< <i>With that said, does anyone know if the coin was last purchased raw or was it already graded? And if it was already graded, what and by whom was it graded? >>

But again, I want to know if this is a crack-out or not.

• Options
    These days, the only way I'd spend that kind of money on an NGC coin is if it's one of the following:

a) Stickered
    b) extremely rare
    c) has a long history of being acknowledged as a wonder coin
    d) in an old fatty holder
    e) several grades above any other specimen in existance
    f) still worth the purchase price if I had to downgrade it

Preferably ALL OF THE ABOVE! image

Does this nickel qualify? Perhaps those who don't own a piece of the coin and are talking it up here for financial reasons could chime in...
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>These days, the only way I'd spend that kind of money on an NGC coin is if it's one of the following:

a) Stickered
    b) extremely rare

Preferably ALL OF THE ABOVE! image

Does this nickel qualify? Perhaps those who don't own a piece of the coin and are talking it up here for financial reasons could chime in... >>

I do not own the coin and agree with you completely. I would reorder the above to:

b) extremely rare
    a) Stickered

My guess is that none of the above is true, but I am willing to be corrected if I am wrong.

Disclosure: I have no ownership interest in the coin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file