Home U.S. Coin Forum

GOOD TO BUY INSURANCE & DELIVERY CONFORMATION/" Denied" so far."UPDATE"

CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭
Today got my first, dreaded, e-mail from a bay buyer. The package was torn opened,10 oz. silver bar replaced with "fishing weights", put in a USPS " sorry your package was damaged" bags and delivered to buyer. The signature confrimation sticker was also removed and only showed arrival at unit in the buyers town. Tomorrow will present to post office. Good thing am in the habit of covering my //////..... image..Thought good to post so others can take or keep on taking appropriate safeguards ..................Well, It took 5 months but received a $200 check from the Postal Service. Spent maybe $50 on gas, postage,etc. plus time writing letters of appeal to insurence people, filed "complaint" with postal inspector. It was worth it, as I was not going to let "slide" clear stealing, when I did everything properly, and had the evidence and receipts to back it up. ...So, they will pay up, if all your bases are covered and you have patience .

Comments

• Sorry to hear about your misfortuneimage I never understand the rationale behind placing a sticker called 'Please Steal Me. I have valuables inside' (oops, sorry I meant to say 'insurance'). When you buy insurance or another service for a package, there must be some way that the post office can apply a generic label that does not indicate that the package is insured. I also find the relatively new policy of the USPS placing a different label stating '$insured over $200.00' on packages. Why on earth would the sender want to identify their package as being a more worthwhile target for theft? At least with the previous system, a would-be thief had no idea whether an insured package had goods worth $20.00 or several hundred dollars. I'm sure that new policy must make sense to someone a lot smarter than I am who is making a lot more than me, too. At least, I hope...
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

they put that on the packages to tell the postal employees to be EXTRA CAREFUL!! image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭

<< <i>they put that on the packages to tell the postal employees to be EXTRA CAREFUL!! image >>

Yes, be VERY careful. Put somehing else in the envelope or package or box of equal weight. Hey, these fishing weights ought to do it.
    HHHHmmmmm, now how do I make them worth close to what was in the package.

I know...Paint them silver or gold.

..............WOW!
    At least you were insured.
    Now let us know how bad it is to get paid back.

I can hear it now.....(At the Post office)
    Sir, You are not allowed to over insure your fishing weights.
    Can you please explain why you insured them for $500 ...blah blah blah.

• adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    I switched to printing my shipping labels through the PayPal service. One good thing about it is that the USPS labels that come out of your printer pretty much look identical with the barcodes and stuff regardless of what services you are using.

It's basically 18 cents cheaper than standard 1st class postage and it includes electronic delivery confirmation for that price. And it gets me out of waiting in line to get packages stamped appropriately.

Speaking of 18 cents...i'm giving away Photoshop and 18 cents today in another thread...be sure to check it out!

Sorry about the loss! Good thing about insurance; hope it processes quickly for you!
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even without the new labels, you can still see the postage to figure out the value. All of my items are insured with an outside provider, so it's just postage by weight, and no indication of any value.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭
    Filed today.Just a hassle, going down to the "main" P.O., and waiting for claims person(1). Will update on the outcome and "process", so it may give some ideas, for your "lost package"......Those weights. if buyer is correct, 25--45 gram weights, is like 3x the weight on the 10 oz. silver bar and package 11.60 oz.......I got my money but the buyer has to wait to get a refund or replace.....When fixed, think I will mail him a extra 1 oz. silver round to lesson the trouble a bit on that endimage
  • PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Even without the new labels, you can still see the postage to figure out the value. All of my items are insured with an outside provider, so it's just postage by weight, and no indication of any value.

Jeremy >>

Are you using Hugh Wood? They require some sort of delivery confirmation and I thought it needs to go Certified or Registered to be covered by them (if not purchasing USPS insurance).
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    My PayPal labels simply states INSURED in small unassuming letters and the postage value is NOT printed on the label.

No problems yet.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
    Got the first denial letter for claim."Since your item was delivered,we have no choice...Bah Bah Bah." Reading other similiar posts, this is automaticimage. Sent off the "appeal" letter with all open & shut evidence, same stuff I first sent. Maybe they will review it this time.....Oh like, Package ripped open in a usps damage bag--"fishing weights" put in by someone weighs 3x the amount on postal slip---Signature confrimation stops at PO and dropped off at buyers address without buyer accepting & signing for. Little embarrassing expecting a person to sigh for such a package, anyway...............Was also thinking of sending same info to the US Postal Inspection Service--Criminal Investigations Center, per USPS web site. Does anyone know if this will move "things" along,wise, or is not yet time to?
  • fcfc Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭
    things like this is exactly the reason i took my silver bullion to the
    local dealer who offered the best deal.

after ebay, 3%, paypal 3%, getting stuck with some cost of the shipping, etc...

it is so much easier to sell locally.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Was also thinking of sending same info to the US Postal Inspection Service--Criminal Investigations Center, per USPS web site. Does anyone know if this will move "things" along,wise, or is not yet time to? >>

I for one would do that, from the sounds of it you have postal employees trying to cover there ASSSSSS allready.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My PayPal labels simply states INSURED in small unassuming letters and the postage value is NOT printed on the label.

No problems yet. >>

Except that you can't insure for a value in excess of $500 without a trip to the PO.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Except that you can't insure for a value in excess of $500 without a trip to the PO. >>

Over $500 and you should be usning Registered mail insured it is cheaper.

• << <i>

<< <i>Except that you can't insure for a value in excess of $500 without a trip to the PO. >>

image >>

Not necessarily. A Priority mail package of 1 pound or less insured for $1,000 with Signature confirmation costs $17.60 to ship. The same package sent by Registered mail with $1,000 insurance and Signature Confirmation costs $19.05.
    Never teach a pig to sing. You'll waste your time and annoy the pig image

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel sorry for the guy who was expecting to get fishing weights and finds that his package was ripped off image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

ttt
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

Not necessarily. A Priority mail package of 1 pound or less insured for $1,000 with Signature confirmation costs $17.60 to ship. The same package sent by Registered mail with $1,000 insurance and Signature Confirmation costs $19.05. >>

The P.O.is coming up with a different figure than you.
    (keep in mind ... since you need to take your package to the P.O., you will not receive the special Electronic Rates)

Priority Mail ............................. $ 4.80
    Sign. Confirmation (retail rate) $ 2.20
    Insurance ................................$11.25
    Total.........................................$18.25

Still faster & less expensive than Registered Mail.

Postal Rate Calculator
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file