Home U.S. Coin Forum

1812 Cent Questions

sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
I recently purchased this cent and have a few questions. First, is it a large date or small date? Second, is it real? The surface is rather lumpy and the uneven detail make me wonder if it is a cast copy. Is this normal porosity? I thank you in advance for your opinions and apologize for the quality of the images.

Comments

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if it's a large or small date ... but I know it's not real

It is a crude cast copy

It would be impossible to have those highly raised areas on the coin from a working die unless the die was badly pitted from corrosion, but even if that were the case (it is not), the "fabric" would be much different

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sumnom,
    Classic head cents were notorious for bad planchets....but yours looks real spooky!
    The raised schmutz does not look right to me at all, wait for the more knowledgable to chime in.

Ray
  • commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    I vote not real.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    Do you collect contemporary counterfeits? If not, why even consider such a questionable piece for purchase?
  • robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do remember that these early copper cents dated 1808-1814 used soft copper planchets...
    It caused alot of problems with these pieces from corrosion to heavy wear.
    I do suspect the one pictured is not geniune...
  • clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Do you collect contemporary counterfeits? If not, why even consider such a questionable piece for purchase? >>

Maybe not everybody is an expert like you?
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Do you collect contemporary counterfeits? If not, why even consider such a questionable piece for purchase? >>

I bought it on-line where the picture did not look suspicious. Do you think this is a contemporary counterfeit?
    I went back and looked at the original image from the sale and now that i have the coin in hand that pic doesn't look very good. I am thinking about seeking a refund. It wasn't all that expensive but still...

<< <i>

Maybe not everybody is an expert like you? >>

Actually, I really should have known better.image
  • thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen quite a few porous Lg. Cents, but this one looks as phony as an 1804, MS 67 Proof Dollar offered on eBay from a seller in China for a BIN price of $750.00!
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
    You know, it feels kinda light as well.

That's that. I am going to return it.
    I contacted the seller and he was completely willing to take it back and even cover the cost of the return shipping.

Thank you all for your opinions on this thread.
  • BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    I've seen some pretty weird pits, bumps, and raised lines on ground buried copper...I think that it depends on what it was against when it corroded. While the surfaces are not in the best condition, I couldn't make any determination on it unless I looked at it in person...and maybe not even then. image
    "Have a nice day!"
    In the auction photos it just looked like a pitted surface but as soon as it arrived I thought it looked odd.
  • Thats a Sheldon 288 Large date
    "This ain't Dodge City an you ain't Bill Hickock."......Matthew Quigley
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's an 1812 I sold on the BST a while back. PCGS F12.

(I can't see your pics on this server, sumnom, so I can't say anything regarding your piece.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file