Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why are all the Gold Genuises so myopic???

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
While it seems that everyone understands that Stocks are long term investments, why is it that the only thing anyone can read when they speak about Kitco and the price of Gold is how much it went up today or how much it went down?? Do yourself a favor; the next time you go to the Kirco page for a check to fret about what to do, scan down past today and look at the one year change, then go change your diaper and grab the Nuk, everything will be OK.image

I swear, some of you guys should just stick to coins and be content.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    100, perhaps?
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>While it seems that everyone understands that Stocks are long term investments, why is it that the only thing anyone can read when they speak about Kitco and the price of Gold is how much it went up today or how much it went down?? >>

Many people consider gold a commodity and not a long term investment.
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed...My comment yesterday was if you had bought Google at $1,000/share (this is just an example...I know GOOG didn't reach $1,000) and it went down $80 in an extremely unsettled trading day, would that even be news to most people?
  • Options
    >>Many people consider gold a commodity and not a long term investment.

I consider it an excellent inflation hedge against a continually devaluing currency...and an excellent way to store wealth for future generations.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>>>Many people consider gold a commodity and not a long term investment.

I consider it an excellent inflation hedge against a continually devaluing currency...and an excellent way to store wealth for future generations. >>

Bingo. Someone gets it. It's a way to preserve wealth especially in a time of economic turmoil.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

AND don't give a copy of the safe deposit box key to the IRS...

Oh, excuse me, did I say that out loud?!?
  • Options
    Zoins----------------BINGO!!!!! please PM your address for the kewpie doll and free invitation to the scalping party if you care to attend.

as in most things tied to money, the majority of genuises suffer the affect of greed and will probably post what an arrogant idiot i am for insulting them. they understand about stocks, they understand about the buy/sell spread of coins, they understand about mortage rates and long term appreciation........................and then they think they can goof around with gold and explain to us all about how stupid we are or how smart they are when in fact they ought to just sit and STFU or twiddle their impatient thumbs as they watch the bouncing ball!!!

what strikes me as peculiar in a funny sort of way is that while the markjet for rare coins has climbed and climbed the registered membership here has grown. simultaneously, the number of dimwits who think they are an expert on all things Numismatic and financial has also grown, much to the dismay and demise of the forum. we are now a group that considers it needs to comment on everything and the enevitable arguements between fools ensues.

but, alas, i know i'm preaching to the choir.

• Options
    GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374
    We are becoming a group of financial Gurus instead of collectors of common "cents".....image
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

Nice SCD image

I think that one is one of the more difficult ones to photograph/image well.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep... a definite bingo... long term has shown a really good return. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like I said before, I am glad my financial plan does not depend on the hourly, daily, or weekly moves of any price or index. It would surely drive me crazy if it did. What passes as financial wisdom on this forum is often frightening. image
  • Options

Call me crazy, but although down today, gold seems to be sticky at about $920 and platinum at $1855 is rallying a bit off its lows...

Don't blink, because the "massive PM correction" may have already come and gone...I hope!
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>While it seems that everyone understands that Stocks are long term investments, why is it that the only thing anyone can read when they speak about Kitco and the price of Gold is how much it went up today or how much it went down?? Do yourself a favor; the next time you go to the Kirco page for a check to fret about what to do, scan down past today and look at the one year change, then go change your diaper and grab the Nuk, everything will be OK.image

Al H.

image >>

That has been clearly evident Al for quite some time. Hence the 5-7 posts per day (in a coin forum) about how gold is up $5.50, or silver has slipped 75 cents. Could these people be grouped with, and categorized as "clock watchers"?
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    " While it seems that everyone understands that Stocks are long term investments..."

Really, I didn't see anything of like or resembling that behavior when the market dropped 400 points the other day.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>While it seems that everyone understands that Stocks are long term investments, why is it that the only thing anyone can read when they speak about Kitco and the price of Gold is how much it went up today or how much it went down?? Do yourself a favor; the next time you go to the Kirco page for a check to fret about what to do, scan down past today and look at the one year change, then go change your diaper and grab the Nuk, everything will be OK.image

Al H.

image >>

That has been clearly evident Al for quite some time. Hence the 5-7 posts per day (in a coin forum) about how gold is up $5.50, or silver has slipped 75 cents. Could these people be grouped with, and categorized as "clock watchers"? >>

Ya, no kidding, then throw in the genius posts with stuff like buy low sell high, followed by a round of image and all I can do is just yawn.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    It would seem that bullion investors live day to day in the fast lane. image
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We are becoming a group of financial Gurus instead of collectors of common "cents".....

I like it.image

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree totally with you 'keets' that a lot of gold bugs tend to dwell on the short term too much.

I however, trust that the long term trend is super positive for Gold so I don't get my shorts riled up in these 'down' days.

It does however sound from the tone of your posting that you are having a bad day.

I'd try to relax a little bit...smell the roses...and take it easy.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    As been stated many a times in the past as the price goes up so will the swings. What don't you understand about that? You will see a bounce soon in the other direction. Let's see out of the 3 months this year we've had 2 emerengcy months that the FED stepped in to prop up the banks and wall street. The dollar is getting worse and you can't go below zero so that play is running out fast we can't even do aganin in the future what's been done the first part of this year. Buy on the dips and don't worry about it, you shouldn't be investing your lives saving anyway and if things do go well for a couple more years get out of debt.

Just ask yourself are things getting better or worse. If your answer is better then your full tilt in the stock market and spending more than you make as always IMO. Once this interest rates cut swing the other way to fight inflatation they'll go blastic the other way to double digits and the stock market will fall because of it. This isn't a short term play it's retaining your buying power..........

The tatics they are using right now haven't been seen since the Great Depression so sleep well image
  • Options
    You see what the market is today? image just kidding.....imageimage
    ....and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make....

The Beatles
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>You see what the market is today? image just kidding.....imageimage >>

And that's exactly why you need to look at the big picture. Market go from over brought to over sold esp. since we have all this wall street paper trading for the real greedy to skew the markets. Once the shoe drops they'll be the losers if their still in that mode IMO. I was on the other side when metals were going up at this rate but in the next few years at the most PM's will be a high flyer with reward to those getting in now IMO. All this can be found on the big thread about gold even when it was around $400 that it would drop like a rock. The bad news for those folks is that were worse off now than 4 years ago so don't think this is anywhere near over.
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    Uh...at my age, I don't got no "long term"; so, I don't got no PM's either. But, I got coins to pass on to my grandkids.image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    "...gold bugs tend to dwell on the short term too much."

Well, can't speak for all bugs but there is no short term for bugs. Now for speculators and people that think they can play the gold/silver market on a daily or even weekly basis...man, go for it and may the best of good fortune and all of the investing gods be with you. But for bugs it's not short term or long term, it's gold...don't y'all get it?
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Uh...at my age, I don't got no "long term"; so, I don't got no PM's either. But, I got coins to pass on to my grandkids.image >>

Those grandkids will be lucky and I hope they can appreciate what is left to them.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Uh...at my age, I don't got no "long term"; so, I don't got no PM's either. But, I got coins to pass on to my grandkids.image >>

Those grandkids will be lucky and I hope they can appreciate what is left to them. >>

Yes I was sorry to hear he didn't think he'd live another 5 years. It is indeed sad to think what our kids will have to endure since all the foolish greed that has been brought at the expense of the people the last couple of decades. Hopefully when I go my kids will have a hedge as well as a very nice $20 classic gold set to enjoy.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Zoins----------------BINGO!!!!! please PM your address for the kewpie doll and free invitation to the scalping party if you care to attend.

as in most things tied to money, the majority of genuises suffer the affect of greed and will probably post what an arrogant idiot i am for insulting them. they understand about stocks, they understand about the buy/sell spread of coins, they understand about mortage rates and long term appreciation........................and then they think they can goof around with gold and explain to us all about how stupid we are or how smart they are when in fact they ought to just sit and STFU or twiddle their impatient thumbs as they watch the bouncing ball!!!

what strikes me as peculiar in a funny sort of way is that while the markjet for rare coins has climbed and climbed the registered membership here has grown. simultaneously, the number of dimwits who think they are an expert on all things Numismatic and financial has also grown, much to the dismay and demise of the forum. we are now a group that considers it needs to comment on everything and the enevitable arguements between fools ensues.

but, alas, i know i'm preaching to the choir.

image >>

Damn....now I am agreeing with Keets image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

Al H.

image >>

What you wrote is very true.
    I'd like to hear the story about a "pinch", I've never seen one and can only imagine what gold rushes were like, a 'pinch' of gold dust for a shot of whiskey, six guns, gold dust in the cracks of the saloon bar, and so forth. Can you write a short piece about the 'piece' shown?
    Paul
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Sorry I blew up your thread.
    Paul
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will be abundantly clear through the rest of 2008 and all the way to 2011-2012 that what has often been called financially saavy,
    or standard financial wisdom over the past 15-25 years, will be proven to be quite inadequate or just plain wrong. Yup, I'm in it for the long haul.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i> What passes as financial wisdom on this forum is often frightening. image >>

I could not agree more. But then again hype is more exciting than boring facts. Most of the "financial wizard" posts are people simply talking their book and offer very little in the way of useful information.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was looking for the thread Would you rather have 100 shares of GE or an MS66 Saint .......it's painfully obvous what the answer to that one is today, but a factor of 5 -1.

Didn't find that one, but did run across this gem posted the day after gold crashed in March 2008. Odd that it wasn't dredged up by the OP when gold hit $1000 a week ago.

While it seems that everyone understands that Stocks are long term investments........ I think this axiom has been blown to smithereens over the past 8 months. Like I said many times in the past, there are no longer any investments, never mind long term ones.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    What I find truely odd is that the value of gold is always measured in "dollars" meaning, if the "dollars" are worthless, why relate that at all?

I wonder how much an ounce of gold goes for in Zimbabwe dollars?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    What did gold close at today?

• Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478

<< <i>What I find truely odd is that the value of gold is always measured in "dollars" meaning, if the "dollars" are worthless, why relate that at all?

I wonder how much an ounce of gold goes for in Zimbabwe dollars? >>

Edited to add: They just slashed 12 zeros from their currency a couple months ago, so that would have been 99,231,740,000,000,000 before. image
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>What I find truely odd is that the value of gold is always measured in "dollars" meaning, if the "dollars" are worthless, why relate that at all?

I wonder how much an ounce of gold goes for in Zimbabwe dollars? >>

Edited to add: They just slashed 12 zeros from their currency a couple months ago, so that would have been 99,231,740,000,000,000 before. image >>

How much gasoline will that get me in Zimbabwe? image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    the traffic in the shop has been very slow these past few days. we've actually been able to get caught up on some work.image
  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478

<< <i>

How much gasoline will that get me in Zimbabwe? image >>

About 133 gallons.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file