Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does PCGS dip coins if you specifically request that they do so?

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
I was taking a look at a dealer's case yesterday at the Baltimore show. He had a coin with a submission form/note wrapped around it in his case. On the form was written the following notation: "submit to PCGS for dipping".

Does anyone know if PCGS will dip a coin if you specifically request that it do so?
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    no

I don't think so

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt it - unless it's in their best interests to do so [for example, appearance issues].
  • Options
    chiefbobchiefbob Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    The small, retail collector sends in a dipped Morgan and it comes back BB.
    A dealer sends it in, and it grades out real nice.

Longacre, this begs the question: why didn't you ask the dealer right then and there? I would be very interested in his/her response, if any at all.

Retired Air Force 1965-2000
    Vietnam Vet 1968-1969
  • Options
    UltraHighReliefUltraHighRelief Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which dealer, and which coin?
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    The submission form may have been a grade guarantee being submitted because of a problem that could be corrected by a dip.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Can someone explain to me what dipping is, and if grading companies do this? Or is this frowned upon?
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162

<< <i>Can someone explain to me what dipping is >>

Dipped
    A term applied to a coin that has been placed in a commercial "dip" solution, a mild acid wash that removes the toning from most coins. Some dip solutions employ other chemicals, such as bases, to accomplish a similar result. The first few layers of metal are removed with every dip, so coins repeatedly dipped will lose luster, hence the term "overdipped".

<< <i>and if grading companies do this? >>

Yes

<< <i>Or is this frowned upon? >>

Usually, depends on the coin, and other factors.
  • Options
    Could this have been shorthand for submitting to PCGS with a notation that dipping is suspected, in order to avoid any misunderstanding by PCGS that the Dealer was knowingly submitting a dipped coin, considering the PCGS recent cautions to dealers? He could have been submitting on behalf of a client. Respectfully, John Curlis
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Can someone explain to me what dipping is >>

Dipped
    A term applied to a coin that has been placed in a commercial "dip" solution, a mild acid wash that removes the toning from most coins. Some dip solutions employ other chemicals, such as bases, to accomplish a similar result. The first few layers of metal are removed with every dip, so coins repeatedly dipped will lose luster, hence the term "overdipped".

<< <i>and if grading companies do this? >>

Yes

<< <i>Or is this frowned upon? >>

Usually, depends on the coin, and other factors. >>

Thanks for the information LeeG....
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    I could imagine if one had a coin already in a PCGS holder, they might acetone dip it if you noticed PVC green developing inside the slab. That level of "conservation" is obvious and safe and the owner shouldn't be expected to crack out the coin and take the grade lottery again, for a fee at that too. I don't know that they do this, but wold not be the least bit surprised as it is a win-win. I doubt very much they would perform any other types of dipping.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    Acetone is not "dip".

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Acetone is not "dip". >>

Nor does it remove metal like "dipping" does.
  • Options
    Yes. PCGS has done it for me.

About 3 years ago--one of my first PCGS submission--my coins came back looking as if someone had sneezed on them or spat on them. I sent them back to PCGS demanding they clean them up. PCGS did, and my coins came back looking nice again.
  • Options
    a039a039 Posts: 1,546
    You dont ask for a "dip"- You ask for a spot or other condition to be removed. Then they dip it. image
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes. PCGS has done it for me.

About 3 years ago--one of my first PCGS submission--my coins came back looking as if someone had sneezed on them or spat on them. I sent them back to PCGS demanding they clean them up. PCGS did, and my coins came back looking nice again. >>

WOW.
  • Options
    GOWYOGOWYO Posts: 141 ✭✭
    Maybe this topic has been discussed elsewhere but I can't find it. If you have a gold coin that is graded by pcgs and has developed a copper spot can you send it in for re slabbing and have the shoot removed somehow?
    Successful BST with : Wondercoin, DenverDave
  • Options
    DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    they will dip them out and misshandle and ding your coins up between the dip station and the grade station by putting heavy coins in silver tubes thus ruining the high grade chances and if they do not grade from there they stuff them back in tubes and ding them up some more. Even worse with commems. To all watch out they can easily cost you multiple thousands I suggest you provide flips for them and ask for special care.

Another worry are proof commems as they burned an entire submission of mine from a $120,000 search and then tried to get me to fill out something saying that I will accept my coins as is before they were to dip them when in reality they had already dipped them and knew they were burned. Easily cost me $10K plus and (probably a a lot more) and them at least 1 years submissions from me. Just for the record NCS at NGC isbetter with the coin care but worse on the actual dip part as they just flat out leave brown spots all over the coins leading to multiple submissions

I fyou want my advice get good at it yourself as it is nothing but a labor of love and only you are interested in your coins being all they can be. Trus me on this one.image
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Acetone is not "dip". >>

Nor does it remove metal like "dipping" does. >>

Only if you consider tarnish a metal.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe this topic has been discussed elsewhere but I can't find it. If you have a gold coin that is graded by pcgs and has developed a copper spot can you send it in for re slabbing and have the shoot removed somehow? >>

it has been discussed here, at length and probably many times, at least a couple i've read since joining

unequivocally the consensus has been - yes, pcgs will do spot removal, i'm sure there are guidelines for this though

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Only if you consider tarnish a metal. >>

OPA...acetone does not remove metal... or tarnish...only organics. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was taking a look at a dealer's case yesterday at the Baltimore show. He had a coin with a submission form/note wrapped around it in his case. On the form was written the following notation: "submit to PCGS for dipping".

Does anyone know if PCGS will dip a coin if you specifically request that it do so? >>

I believe its called "Spot Review" or "Grade Guarantee". If the spots on the coin can be removed via conservation with a light dip then thats what will happen.

Grade Review Before and After: (This is a Chargeable service if the coin stays the same grade)

image .. image

Spot Review Before and After (This is a Free* service)

image .. image

Of course, PCGS would never "dip" a coin where the results could potentially turn out disastrous (such as an XF coin). They are not doctors and as stated if the coin can be conserved to preserve the grade, then it will happen. There are many very experienced coin people working for PCGS and experience is the key in what or what not to do in conserving a coin. I have no idea what solutions may or may not be used

*-Shipping Charges and Handling Fee's still apply and must be paid.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭

<< <i>they will dip them out and misshandle and ding your coins up between the dip station and the grade station by putting heavy coins in silver tubes thus ruining the high grade chances and if they do not grade from there they stuff them back in tubes and ding them up some more. Even worse with commems. To all watch out they can easily cost you multiple thousands I suggest you provide flips for them and ask for special care.

Another worry are proof commems as they burned an entire submission of mine from a $120,000 search and then tried to get me to fill out something saying that I will accept my coins as is before they were to dip them when in reality they had already dipped them and knew they were burned. Easily cost me $10K plus and (probably a a lot more) and them at least 1 years submissions from me. Just for the record NCS at NGC isbetter with the coin care but worse on the actual dip part as they just flat out leave brown spots all over the coins leading to multiple submissions

I fyou want my advice get good at it yourself as it is nothing but a labor of love and only you are interested in your coins being all they can be. Trus me on this one.image >>

This is AWFUL! How, and why are you still collecting coins when PCGS does this?!
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Only if you consider tarnish a metal. >>

OPA...acetone does not remove metal... or tarnish...only organics. Cheers, RickO >>

Ricko...I know that, I was referring to this quote.

"Nor does it remove metal like "dipping" does. ">>

Only if you consider tarnish a metal.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS has conserved coins for me many times, via the spot review process. They successfully treated PVC and verdigris; there was no need to use something as harsh as Ezest.

I have never been disappointed. But there is a risk. E.g., acetone can do funny things to RD and RB copper.
    Lance.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    While I don't have direct evidence of this occurring, I sent in
    an Indian Cent which came back a different shade of red, with
    additional hits on the obverse, easily bumping the grade down
    from a 66 to no better than a 65. I suspect they dipped the
    coin, but like I said I don't have any evidence for this nor did I
    ask them to mess with my coins. Fortunately I did take pictures
    of my coins (including this IHC) before I submitted, as well as
    pictures of the IHC after it returned, and there were noticable
    difference's visible in each set of photographs.

A letter to David Hall explaining this dissatisfaction went unanswered image
  • Options
    DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace
  • Options
    DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    Ugh, double posted.

-D
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file