Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I just decided to pay multiples of "sheet" for this coin. *UPDATED* Thin Shield 5c struck

Maybe I'm losing it; maybe I'm not. Here's a picture of the coin, an 1867 5c w/rays, that grades fairly at AU50. The photo is OK, but the coin is a bit more attractive in hand with more retained luster than it appears to have, and there's a faint clash on the reverse that doesn't show.

So what do you think? Feel free to ask any questions about the coin before expressing your opinion. I'll answer any specific, relevant question to the best of my ability.

Edited 12/12/08 to fix link (the new picture gives it away).

Comments

• Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    cool coin

the die break at 4 o'clock looks like it had an effect on the edge

almost looks like a stright clip there but I guess the planchet had no chance to fill to edge
  • Options
    GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭
    Are those die filing marks around the edges of the cud?
  • Options
    ahooka454ahooka454 Posts: 3,466
    Nice coin there. I wouldnt worry about the price if you like it and are happy. Some of my MPL's are alot more than sheet. Remember, those are just guides. Real world is different. Its worth what someone is willing to pay. I like it though. Love the retained die break btw.
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    Are those die filing marks around the edges of the cud?

If I understand your question correctly, the striations at the edge of the cud are flow lines that mirror the profile of the break in the die.
  • Options
    Nice coin there. I wouldnt worry about the price if you like it and are happy. Some of my MPL's are alot more than sheet. Remember, those are just guides. Real world is different. Its worth what someone is willing to pay. I like it though. Love the retained die break btw. >>

Ahooka. You're being too kind. Really. I know that you've turned over a new leaf, and you were probably placed on double-secret probation upon your return from banishment, but I think I'd actually prefer being called crazy for paying multiple sheet price for a cud.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    I always liked a coin with some character, nice CUD. image
  • Options
    Nice coin.... very cool cud ~ don't have a clue what you paid.... but if it didn't break the bank, it was probably a good price.
  • Options
    the date look interesting - is it a RPM or machine doubling?

whats up with the left arrow - the top looks tripled
    and the right arrow looks doubled
  • Options
    You may have paid more than sheet, but there's always Coin Values, where the May issue has it at $350.00 in AU-50.
  • Options
    Everyone must have taken their nice pills today. image I paid multiples of sheet value for a common AU Shield 5c. C'mon! I thought that folks would be curious . . . .

I "overpaid" for a specific reason, and I'm trying to play a guessing game. Ask specific questions about the coin that you think will reveal the reason, and I'll answer as best as I can.
  • Options
    the date look interesting - is it a RPM or machine doubling?

whats up with the left arrow - the top looks tripled
    and the right arrow looks doubled

Thanks for playing, Sinin! There is no true doubling (or tripling) of the design elements or date (although there is some Longacre doubling, particularly on the reverse).
  • Options
    ahooka454ahooka454 Posts: 3,466
    Not really worried about being crazy, ( I will always be nuckin futs!) just been in a great mood lately. Also its triple double secret dual classified probation. I even have to wear an ankle montior. LOL.

I have learned that sometimes its not worth getting all wound up over what some say. Coins are my hobby and I really love my hobby.image:

Back to your coin though, I like it. Whatever the price you bought it for a reason. It said something to you at the time and thats all that matters.

Two questions for you, 1. Do you like it?

2. Is it stickerable?image
  • Options
    Two questions for you, 1. Do you like it? 2. Is it stickerable?image

1. Yes.

2. No, it's raw. I cracked it out of the slab because I wanted to actually look at it.
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it ... way kewl cud!! image

and YES ... you're f'n crazy!! what are you doing, trying to drive the prices of these up again!!!

image feel better now?

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797
    nice......................image
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, then... I'll be mean (sort of). You paid multiples of sheet for a rare esoteric variety of a common circulated shield nickel. Ate you crazy???

Even if the variety is R-7, the known population would still exceed the number of collectors image

I really do think that the cud looks cool, but I am interested to see what you see in the coin.
  • Options
    #2 Right leaf, right side. Respectfully, John Curlis
  • Options
    OK, then... I'll be mean (sort of). You paid multiples of sheet for a rare esoteric variety of a common circulated shield nickel. Ate you crazy???

I'll take that general comment as a specific question. T'ain't an esoteric variety, nor a common one, for that matter. image
  • Options
    IWGT ... okay I called ya crazy ... now ... is this a die marriage situation? (maybe)

or is there something we can't see on the third side of the coin? (more probably)

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    #2 Right leaf, right side. Respectfully, John Curlis

That leaf was hand engraved on every working die made from obverse hub A (used from 1866 through part of 1869), so the leaf looks different on all coins that were made from different dies. There are "missing leaf" varieties because there were some dies that slipped through; but, this coin isn't one of them. Respectfully and without malice, IGWT.
  • Options
    Thank You, IGWT, for extending my knowledge. It was actually what appeared to be a missing "berry" that caught my attention, as opposed to the leaf. An interesting Thread. Sincerely, John Curlis
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    Paying multiples of sheet on any classic coin with a nice, fat cud like that is standard fare IGWT. So i'll go with the very obvious....you wanted a shield nickel with a bold and dramatic cud, and paid multiples of sheet because it could be 15 years before you see another like this one.
  • Options
    Buying what you like for what you can afford.
    No problem even if it makes you one of the " New Breed Collectors™".

I don't know what is special about this coin for you but I like it.
  • Options
    IWGT ... okay I called ya crazy ... now ... is this a die marriage situation? (maybe)

or is there something we can't see on the third side of the coin? (more probably)

Yes, being able to see the third side might be important . . . .
  • Options
    So here's a shot. The coin on the left is the coin pictured in the OP; the coin on the right is a typical Shield 5c. But let's continue the game and figure out what happened with this coin. I started with four theories, I've eliminated two, and have a preference for one of the remaining two. But other folks might have different ideas.

• Options
    what about the weight?

am I assumming to much to see the diameter is correct?

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    what about the weight?

am I assumming to much to see the diameter is correct?

The coin weighs 3.56 grams. The diameter is right on at 20.5 mm (0.808 in.)
  • Options
    crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So here's a shot. The coin on the left is the coin pictured in the OP; the coin on the right is a typical Shield 5c. But let's continue the game and figure out what happened with this coin. I started with three theories, I've eliminated one, and have a preference for one of the remaining two. But other folks might have different ideas.

image >>

So was this difference in thickness obvious in the slab? You must be really quite accustomed to looking for this sort of thing unless there is some sort of clue that is indigenous to it on either the obverse or reverse.
    "to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it a partial clip ?

It looks in the original photo to have a slight flatness at 2 o'clock. This could indicate a partial clip. I don't know at all. I'm speculating.
  • Options
    Is it a partial clip ?

It looks in the original photo to have a slight flatness at 2 o'clock. This could indicate a partial clip. I don't know at all. I'm speculating.

Joe -- You need to back up a read a couple of the earlier posts to find out what's going on with the coin. But, to answer your question, the flatness at the edge is attributable to the cud sucking up a lot of metal. You'll also see substantial weakness in the denticles opposite the cud on the reverse.
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    That is WAY underweight! Being that the planchett is much thinner than standard, and that the coin is pretty well struck, my question is, is that even cupro-nickel? Could it be a die trial in white metal perhaps that was not attributed as such? Maybe the die cracked after striking a few in cupro-nickel, so mint officials wanted to see how much more damage would be done with a softer metal, as an experiment, before discarding the die?
  • Options
    Okay, sinin hit on the clip.. .image ooops, my bad. It should weigh five grams... and it must be struck on wrong metal or something. Gecko is way ahead of me on this already. ...

• Options
    could a dime planchet fill the coin?

it clearly is a wrong planchett error now that we see only half thickness

oops - forgot to add some sort of pattern since first year of issue

that has circulated - although scratch my head on why they would let it out with broken die
  • Options
    That is WAY underweight! Being that the planchett is much thinner than standard, and that the coin is pretty well struck, my question is, is that even cupro-nickel? Could it be a die trial in white metal perhaps that was not attributed as such? Maybe the die cracked after striking a few in cupro-nickel, so mint officials wanted to see how much more damage would be done with a softer metal, as an experiment, before discarding the die?

The specific gravity of the piece is within the range of Cu/Ni alloy as tested on other examples of regular Shield 5c.
  • Options
    The 3.56 prams is quite light, but so far I am stumped other than an underweight planchet as I can not find a suitable planchet that would produce that weight

... as it is also quite a bit thinner than a regular strike, this also lends more questions than answers

IGWT ... I think we'd all be interested in your theories image

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    maybe the metal for your coin was rolled on a machine set-up for cents? If so, there must be other examples out there like that. This is a cool numismatic mystery
  • Options
    The 3.56 prams . . .

Is that a special baby carriage built for large triplets? image

IGWT ... I think we'd all be interested in your theories image

We'll get there (and the theories aren't anything brilliant), but I don't want to make any suggestions that might get in the way of other thoughts.
  • Options
    maybe the metal for your coin was rolled on a machine set-up for cents?

This is where I was thinking as well. I first thought of three-cent stock, but if my calculations are correct that would produce a coin lighter than this one.

If my calc's are correct, the cent roller would also make it light.

Since the specific gravity is within tolerence that is ...

Maybe I need to stop thinking for a few ... lol

If so, there must be other examples out there like that.

You would think so, unless this is a obscure pattern planchet that got mixed up into the process.

This is a cool numismatic mystery

Indeed it is image

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    On a dime planchet ? image
  • Options
    I am curious. Is it possible this coin was struck much later,and is the reverse proof die? Respectfully, John Curlis
  • Options
    -- On a dime planchet ? image --

Not possible.

-- I am curious. Is it possible this coin was struck much later,and is the reverse proof die? Respectfully, John Curlis --

I suppose that's possible, but I can't see anything on the coin that would lead me to believe that it's a restrike. I'm as sure as sure can be under the circumstances that the reverse die was not used for proofs (there is no evidence of the centering dot that's present on both '66 and '67 w/rays proofs). What idea are you working on, Charlie?
  • Options
    Thank You for asking. The Howard Spindel research, late die state, "midnight minters" practice well known during the time period. I am still struck by the berrys and star placement on your coin. So far, they "fit" with the known facts. Again, thank you for asking. With Respect, John Curlis
  • Options
    IGWT, while I'm stumped, I can see why you would pay more for such an anomaly. It's quite unique.
    My question is : was the bidding competitive or was this a private transaction ? Obviously the seller and you both know soemthing. image I appreciate the thread. I am a bit of a novice with coins, but I love learning more and I like the interactivity of the forums for such information.

Joe
  • Options
    IGWT, while I'm stumped, I can see why you would pay more for such an anomaly. It's quite unique.
    My question is : was the bidding competitive or was this a private transaction ? Obviously the seller and you both know soemthing. image I appreciate the thread. I am a bit of a novice with coins, but I love learning more and I like the interactivity of the forums for such information.

I'm an easy mark image, so it was a private transaction that went like this (with some details removed to protect the innocent):

Dealer: Here's what I have and this is my price.

Me: That's a neat thing if it's genuine.

Dealer: You can crack it out and test it, if you want.

Me: Please send it.
  • Options
    I'm an easy mark image, so it was a private transaction that went like this (with some details removed to protect the innocent):

Dealer: Here's what I have and this is my price.

Me: That's a neat thing if it's genuine.

Dealer: You can crack it out and test it, if you want.

Me: Please send it.

imageimageimage

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    I have eliminated my first 2 choices, the reverse proof and late die state "after hours" minting. I conclude it can only be a left over blank from the year before, intended for a pattern. I remember reading about the existence of such a piece, but I don't know where. Respectfully, John Curlis
  • Options
    P.S., if I am correct, it would make this piece a wonderful, rare coin. I hope I am right, for your benefit. Sincerely, John Curlis
  • Options
    (1) My first thought was that a Shield 5c blank was punched out of 3CN stock. But, it's heavier by about 1 g and thicker by about 0.4 mm than it would be if if that were the answer. (2) Unless someone can convince me otherwise, I don't believe that the U.S. Mint made any coins for foreign countries during 1867, so a foreign planchet can't be the answer. (3) As Charlie mentioned, and as PursuitOfLiberty suggested, the Mint produced 5c patterns in 1866 on thin planchets of the same composition, diameter, and weight, notably J-489. A prior owner of the coin espoused this "wrong planchet" theory, but I'm not convinced. (4) The thin planchet might simply be the result of an error at the rolling mill. The thickness of the coin at the rim varies from 1.12 mm (0.044 in.) on one side to 1.35 mm (0.053 in.) on the opposite side, and the taper is partly evident in the photo above. Does this variation provide support to the theory that something went awry at the rolling mill?

Any other ideas?

Edited to correct typos (0.044 in., not 0.44 in.; and 0.053 in., not 0.53 in.).
  • Options
    what did it say on the holder you cracked it out of?

a composition analysis would help prove/disprove your theory

another option would be die-struck copy

have you seen any other coins with that die break?
  • Options
    Thank You, IGWT, for helping me remember. I just went back to my Pollock cross reference. I had made a note about a wrong plancet with cud. I just went and looked at an old mint error news.It had an article about an 1867 ANACS AU50 on wrong planchet(nickel). It has the exact same cud as yours and is on a thin planchet. I think wrong plancet is a more likely scenario. Respectfully, John Curlis

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file