Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

Anyone want to buy this group for $6,000 before it goes to ebay?

2»

Comments

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the last time I'll jump into this silly thread, but --

Gecko, it is far less work to post a good picture of both sides here and type "1807 Draped Bust Half, $195" than it is to list the same coin on ebay. Couple that with the fact that you will shell out nearly 10% for ebay and paypal fees, and the bidding will have to be really enthusiastic to do better than you'd do here. Your increased expansiveness as you get more heated in your responses reveals that you are, in fact, capable of typing a line or two -- whether of description or of argument.

Now -- I don't like the way you're handling this any better than I like how certain other posters have handled you, so if you were to do all that then I still probably would not buy at this point. The well is poisoned, so to speak. But it didn't have to be this way. In the past four years I have sold perhaps fifteen thousand dollars of coins on this board, and I have never come away wishing I'd used eBay instead. It is a good resource, but you do have to be reasonable.

There are people here who specialize in all kinds of things. Those seated dimes, for instance? If you'd put up two-sided pics and a line of description, I can just about guarantee you'll do better here than anywhere else. These people actually want your coins. They are collectors, not dealers buying for resale or fleabay garage salers just trying to get a bargain. You really did come to one of the best places to get fair value for your coins, and if you can't manage to do it here then you are going to have a hard time doing it anywhere. The thing is, nobody likes to waste time. Clearly I've wasted too much of my own on this, LOL.

Good luck and best wishes.
    mirabela
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    "...but feel I will do MUCH better listing them seperately on ebay."

Where have I heard that before?
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    I think that in the time it took you to answer all the PM's and public responses you could have just listed the coins. Everything could possibly have gone more pleasantly and perhaps you could have had a sale already. Maybe not, thanks for the entertainment though.
  • Options

<< <i>I think that in the time it took you to answer all the PM's and public responses you could have just listed the coins. Everything could possibly have gone more pleasantly and perhaps you could have had a sale already. Maybe not, thanks for the entertainment though. >>

You are correct. Thats fine though, it has been entertaining. I should do QUITE well with them on ebay.
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Geck,

Is this the widget set you refer to on your sig line? Seriously, is it?

Now take a minute to chill, OK? Get over here on this side of the fence with the rest of us for a couple minutes.

Now, look at your picture the way we see it. Here's a guy that's been posting for 4 Months, offers no hard information, no detailed descriptions.

He lays out some coins and throws out a number - THAT'S IT! Now, would YOU (based on what you SEE) throw $6000 out - on an indescript lot of coins that could very well be fraught with problems?

Now, C'mon Geck! Chill. It doesn't work like that & you KNOW you would NOT throw 6K out on stuff you have little more than a pic and a few words to go on .... and YOU KNOW IT!

You want to sell or work something out? I'll listen, OK? image

Just relax and have a look at this as if they were not your coins and someone you do not know did as you have.

Ask yourself, what you would say or do if the shoes were the other way around.

When you calm down, PM me, OK? image

It'll be OK!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phil, I made my offer, but didn't receive a PM. I was trying to RIP a little. I've seen a few of your coins and like Boom says:

Keep in mind how long you've been around. Your coins are probably , individually priced, worth a total of 2 grand.

Today I received a gold coin and a capped bust half in trade for 4 pounds of silver. I made it clear that I was after PROBLEM free. Both coins have problems ... I"ll send the gentleman his coins back and a few silver pieces just to be the better man, but before we got to that juncture.... the entire agreement was made. It's hard to make an agreement on the boards with someone who doesn't negotiate. While your thread is entertaining, ...

it is "Baiting" more than it is an offer to buy, sell or trade. Anyway, some drama is better than no drama image

Respectfully,

Joe
  • Options
    Send me the d**n coins I 'll take pic's for you write up a description and sell them and only charge you 5%
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    <<< With offers of $80, $125, $150, and $300....this board seems to just be full of rip-off artists. >>>

That's not true gecko, not by a longshot. YOU on the other hand ask the good folks here if anyone wants to offer you the absurd price of $6000.00 for a group of mostly "junk box" heavily circulated common coins worth a fraction of what you're asking and expect people to take you seriously?
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    they don't look like junk coins to me

but I would be only interested in the Columbian half and possibly the indianhead cent

but too many coins of not much interest for me

if you want to sell them wholesale, you need to expect wholesale prices

• Options
    image If you guys read an earlier post of mine in this thread, you will see that the approx GREYSHEET (not retail) value of this group is about $2,000. However, after multiple offers of between $80 and $250, I decided, Hell....if you all can offer me 1/10th the value, I may as well ask for 3 times the value. Of course this group IS NOT worth $6,000, or even remotely close. However, it is CERTAINLEY worth $2,000 in wholesale value. They are not "junkbox" coins as one of you put it. Nor are they "melt value only" as a couple of PM's have tried to tell me. These are honest, raw type coins, and decent at that. Below are a few of the coins from the group that are already loaded on my photobucket account just to give you an idea of the "junk" in this lot.

As you can see just from a few of the 49 coins in the group....REAL JUNK!
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭✭
    Good pix. Now, next time, put up the pix initially, perhaps include a brief descriptive note of each of the items you wish to sell, do your absolute best to refrain from alienating, or describing your potential customers in such a derogatory manner, and state better the amount you are looking for, or your best estimate as to their current value. In other words, you may want to try to "put your best foot forward". You may also want to lighten up on your general attitude (it seems to mainly suck big time!) if you want any respect (remember: gotta give a little to get a little). You may disagree, but if you do, it would be clear that you find it difficult to look at yourself objectively. You might try real hard to do so - it certainly can't hurt you in the long run. Good luck. image
  • Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭
    In view of ebay's fee structure, I am surprised that you don't offer the lot, with details, on the BST first.

I would not take the low ball offers seriously but I also think that those offers reflect that they did not take your OP seriously either.
  • Options

<< <i>Good pix. Now, next time, put up the pix initially, perhaps include a brief descriptive note of each of the items you wish to sell, do your absolute best to refrain from alienating, or describing your potential customers in such a derogatory manner, and state better the amount you are looking for, or your best estimate as to their current value. In other words, you may want to try to "put your best foot forward". You may also want to lighten up on your general attitude (it seems to mainly suck big time!) if you want any respect (remember: gotta give a little to get a little). You may disagree, but if you do, it would be clear that you find it difficult to look at yourself objectively. You might try real hard to do so - it certainly can't hurt you in the long run. Good luck. image >>

The only "lack of respect" displayed in this instance were a few PM's telling me my stuff was worth melt only. And offers of $80, $125, and $150. ANYONE familiar with U.S. type coins could take just a quick look at the group photo I displayed and know that there are several coins in that lot worth $150 EACH. So please dont tell me about respect. Im not some "new widow" as obviously some of you hoped I was. An offer of $80? Thats a disgrace, and you know it.
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get ahold of Frank Coins. He will take them off your hands maybe.

A Spade is a Spade. Yep.

Ken
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My offer is 1.2K for the lot.

peacockcoins

• Options

<< <i>My offer is 1.2K for the lot. >>

At least that a legit offer. Are you sure that this stuff isnt just worth melt as others have suggested to me?image Thanks for the offer, but im looking for closer to 2k.

Phil
  • Options

<< <i>Thats a disgrace, and you know it. >>

I know no such thing. Your potential customers have not been disgraced whatsoever, imo. You may have been however. You received offers that showed just as much thoughtfulness as you showed in your BST ad - maybe more. Your salesmanship, if this is an example, is feeble. What do you expect for all your tremendous effort? You don't want to take pix. You don't want to state a price. You don't want to describe what you are selling. You are offering nothing, and you expect something? Why don't you try to show a little initiative when you want (to sell) something, and showing a little respect to your potential clientele would also be good to do before you add up all your expectations. See if that may work better for you next time.
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

At least that a legit offer. Are you sure that this stuff isnt just worth melt as others have suggested to me?image Thanks for the offer, but im looking for closer to 2k.

Phil >>

You just blew it on this group of coins.

Ken
  • Options
    Coll3ctorColl3ctor Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I know no such thing. Your potential customers have not been disgraced whatsoever, imo. You may have been however. You received offers that showed just as much thoughtfulness as you showed in your BST ad - maybe more. Your salesmanship, if this is an example, is feeble. What do you expect for all your tremendous effort? You don't want to take pix. You don't want to state a price. You don't want to describe what you are selling. You are offering nothing, and you expect something? Why don't you try to show a little initiative when you want (to sell) something, and showing a little respect to your potential clientele would also be good to do before you add up all your expectations. See if that may work better for you next time. >>

+1
  • Options
    I find it humorous that you're calling everyone else "scam artists," yet all they did was send you an offer (whether it be a fair one or not). Their certainly not trying to trick you---it's just the amount of money their offering.

You're just as guilty as them for providing poor pictures initially with a grossly inflated price.
  • Options

<< <i>

I know no such thing. Your potential customers have not been disgraced whatsoever, imo. You may have been however. You received offers that showed just as much thoughtfulness as you showed in your BST ad - maybe more. Your salesmanship, if this is an example, is feeble. What do you expect for all your tremendous effort? You don't want to take pix. You don't want to state a price. You don't want to describe what you are selling. You are offering nothing, and you expect something? Why don't you try to show a little initiative when you want (to sell) something, and showing a little respect to your potential clientele would also be good to do before you add up all your expectations. See if that may work better for you next time. >>

Be 100% honest with me for a moment. If you saw this same lot on ebay for $399 "buy it now" would you get it? I simply am taking it to a different level. Some people LOVE "treasure hunts" and this listing is basically that. Im not out to screw anyone with chit coins at inflated prices. This is decent stuff and well worth the 2k im asking. It would get more if I take the time to list each coin seperately, but thats alot more work. But it seems im going to have to do just that because nobody thinks anyone has integrity anymore. I am not some scam artist. Just made an offering of some decent coins at lower than a fair price is all. And im crucified in return.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Thanks for the offer, but im looking for closer to 2k. Phil >>

Understood. You've got a nice grouping of type coins there.
    I wish I could offer more.

peacockcoins

• Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Hey! I came in, saw a title for some lot of non descript coins for 6K, saw you were gettimg your ass handed to you on a platter and calmly told you to step back and take a look at the picture from the other side, with the rest of us.

At NO TIME did I ever hear you offer these coins for 2K.

I never torched you, PM'd you nor disrespected you. In fact, I told you to chill, PM me and that I would help you thru this and to this Moment, STILL you have not PMd me nor I you and as far as I'm concerned, seeing what I have thus far, I've seen enough. I have no desire to have any part of this sideshow.

Caveat Emptor!
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've gotta start reading these threads more often!!image
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options

<< <i>Be 100% honest with me for a moment. >>

Ok.

<< <i> If you saw this same lot on ebay for $399 "buy it now" would you get it? I simply am taking it to a different level. Some people LOVE "treasure hunts" and this listing is basically that. Im not out to screw anyone with chit coins at inflated prices. >>

Honestly, if I saw a similarly pictured and described lot on eBay, I'd run, at any price. For me to buy a coin, I have to be able to see it, or at least see a good picture of it. My eyes aren't too great anymore, and your single picture of a bunch of coins was, to me, exactly that, a picture of a bunch of coins. Further, I am not the "treasure hunt" type. It is my experience, and the experience of those I know, that "treasure hunts" are always a rip-off.

<< <i>This is decent stuff and well worth the 2k im asking. >>

It may very well be, but without decent pictures and descriptions of what is for sale, how am I to know it is a good deal?

<< <i>It would get more if I take the time to list each coin seperately, but thats alot more work. >>

I agree...and putting in a lot less work, would get less money.

<< <i>But it seems im going to have to do just that because nobody thinks anyone has integrity anymore. >>

If you mean you will have to go to eBay because nobody here thinks you have integrity anymore, well, I think that most here don't know anything about your integrity, and probably will have little chance to judge your integrity due, unfortunately, to what, honestly, has come across consistantly as a very unappealing attitude.

<< <i>I am not some scam artist. >>

I am sure that this is true.

<< <i>Just made an offering of some decent coins at lower than a fair price is all. >>

I think you may now see that this was quite unclear.

<< <i> And im crucified in return. >>

If "crucified" in this case, means "provided unique educational opportunities unavailable on eBay or anywhere else for that matter", then, again I agree.
  • Options
    EdscoinEdscoin Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've gotta start reading these threads more often!!image >>

ED
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,303 ✭✭✭
    I'll give you 5999 and not a 1/2 cent more!
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey , if you consider Braddick's offer of $1200 as fair, then my offer is looking even better. You end up getting a PR70 Plat. LOW POP coin. It's got a value of $3150 in the price guide. At auction it could bring 15% more.

So $1800 cash and your coins for mine isn't unreasonable, is it ?
  • Options

<< <i>but feel I will do MUCH better listing them seperately on ebay >>

JMO but if you would have listed them properly the first time with the photos you did ,dates m/ms etc , you would have spent less time typing all the responses and probably had a few decent offers , why all the B.S? do you like the drama or do you want to sell the coins? I would be interestred in a few, and I know other members would be also you may have came out ahead? or list them on ebay pay the fees , and see if you do come out ahead again JMO there have been some members here willing to help you and work with you yet you contiued to say you are to lazy to list them all but add up all your replys you could have done the list 10x's or more lol imageimage
    Ebay Seller I.D
    the_northern_trading_company
    ace@airadv.net
    imageimage
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems OP only wants to play "price tennis" when HE'S the one serving. image

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,082 ✭✭✭
    This thread is 2 years old.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>This thread is 2 years old.

-Paul >>

hmm, I would like to offer 6k for the lot. image
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,303 ✭✭✭
    Did these ever sell?
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    BarbercoinBarbercoin Posts: 867 ✭✭
    That sure was a lot of typing for somebody who only uses one finger. image

It's too nice a day out there for all this negativity.

Sell the coins on Ebay (or wherever) and the "best of luck" getting your price!! You'll do fine.

Happy Easter everyone!!image

WTB: Barber Quarters XF

• Options
    RebelRonRebelRon Posts: 544 ✭✭
    Yeah! image Mello out!
  • Options
    This post is over 2 years old! He sold the coins and moved on to Pandas end of story.
    A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore.
    Yogi Berra

• Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    .........this Geecko guy - he's a real piece of work
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    I am glad to be aware of the post, I buy on the BST often its good to know who to avoid the OP has the worst attitude one can have when selling an item.
  • Options
    CollectorcoinsCollectorcoins Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Hello
    I will go $650
    Thanks