Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

A lesson to be learned

It appears that the shilling thread was deleted (and rightfully so)

Before someone makes a claim that sellers are shilling and names them
they better be pretty sure of what they say. Also, it would be wise to
leave out SMR advertisers when mentioning names. That can get you into some serious
trouble as your accusations could impede on their lively hood and you could be sued.
For run of the mil ebay sellers I don't see them suing but even there it is best to be 100%
sure before you make accusations lest they be considered defamatory.
Sometimes we feel we are 100% right on something yet we can be proved wrong.

Just a thought fellows.

Steve
Good for you.

Comments

• Options
    Here comes the Steve police.

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Alan your stupid comment aside the last time this type of thread was brought up
    at least 6 people were either banned and or had to write a public apology. If they failed
    to do that they were threatened with a lawsuit! Perhaps you may feel differently if it was your livelyhood
    that was being trashed.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alan, Steve has a legit point and is throwing this out there to let users know of what can happen with this type of scenario.

Thanks for the heads up Steve-
  • Options
    First and foremost, a message to PSA... what I'm about to say has NOTHING to do with that dealer, you, your advertisers, etc... this is a GENERAL STATEMENT. Please dont ban me.

That being said....

All the focus here seems to centered on the accuser. What if they're right? What if this huge company is conducting unethical practices? So it's the accuser's fault for trying to save his fellow collectors from wasting their money bidding on that dealers items? Why? If anything I apprecaite the accusers post. It made some sense.

Does that mean that the dealer is shilling? No... it doesnt "prove" anything.... but.... I appreciate the accuser for at least making us aware that there may be something fishy going on .

And everytime there's some controversy on here, you step in like the PSA police with some holier than thou response in an attempt to make yourself look good. It's getting a little ridiculous.

I, too, am allowed to state my opinion.

No problems here Steve, just pointing it out man.

• Options
    And Paul, I DEF agree that his post makes sense... it just seems like he does it a lot.

And the "accusers" post may have actually had some validity.

• Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I am on these boards all the time and don't remember there ever being a public apology thread, please let me know what thread that was in.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    Amen brother Alen!

+1 for ridiculous

I just might fire up my youtube cam image

Giovanni
  • Options

<< <i>Amen brother Alen! +1 for ridiculous I just might fire up my youtube cam image Giovanni >>

At least spell my name right Gio!

HAHA.

And thanks man. It's just silly. I have nothing against Steve, he's a cool guy, but these posts are annoying.

• Options
    Sorry about your name Allen image

Giovanni
  • Options

And everytime there's some controversy on here, you step in like the PSA police with some holier than thou response in an attempt to make yourself look good. It's getting a little ridiculous.

No Alan, what is ridiculous is your stupid comments.

Everytime? maybe you can post a link for me?

If you don't like what I post don't read it!!

What else can I say?

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    I meant Alan image Sorry image
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I, too, am allowed to state my opinion. >>

That's not entirely true.

PSA had every right to poof that thread because someone made an unjustified accusation towards one of their advertisers.

For example, you have every right to yell "FIRE" in a crowded theater; however, expect to feel the repercussions.

To be honest, think you of all people should watch about calling out other posters and their posting habits... Don't think anyone wants to go down that road again.

/$0.02
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Gio you can +1 all you want , Your reckless accusation of Mintstate may still get you into hot water.

Griffens tried to tell you that last night.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Morgoth PM sent.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Sup Stown,

I have 100% respect for you and your posts, let me say that first.

What I meant was that I'm allowed to state my opinion about Steve. This has nothing to do with the poofed thread per se.

Should the thread have been poofed? Sure. But... I dont fault the accuser for posting it.

There will be no lawsuit (come on people, that's ridiculous), and who has been banned? Hmm... nobody...

Steve's just kissing PSA's butt like he always does.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>First and foremost, a message to PSA... what I'm about to say has NOTHING to do with that dealer, you, your advertisers, etc... this is a GENERAL STATEMENT. Please dont ban me.

That being said....

All the focus here seems to centered on the accuser. What if they're right? What if this huge company is conducting unethical practices? So it's the accuser's fault for trying to save his fellow collectors from wasting their money bidding on that dealers items? Why? If anything I apprecaite the accusers post. It made some sense.

Does that mean that the dealer is shilling? No... it doesnt "prove" anything.... but.... I appreciate the accuser for at least making us aware that there may be something fishy going on .

I, too, am allowed to state my opinion.

No problems here Steve, just pointing it out man. >>

Wow Alan

That was a bit harsh - don't ya think.

I read Steve's OP - and he's not admonishing anyone - he's trying to give some advice as someone who's been here long enough to know what can happen.

I am personal friends with one person who got nastygrams and was banned from this board - he agreed to publicly apologize and was allowed to return.

No one is denying you your opinion - no one is squelching free speech.

But, as I know from personal experience - we're guests here and some rhetoric will not be tolerated by PSA and could get one banned.

I really don't know you but you seem to be a good guy - please take Steve's post as advice.

His opinion is just as valuable as yours - right?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Come on man, preeeeeach it!

Amen brother Alan image

Giovanni
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    My friend Steve, as well as those like Griffins, has more sense and intelligence than you, Onlythe10s. You were railed out one time and you are track to do so again. Grow up, listen and learn.
  • Options
    As always Stone193, that's a well thought-out and stated post. (and no, that was not a dig, I'm serious).

You're correct that he's also entitled to his opinion.

I guess this is the part where I just shut the heck up because I cant win with you "regulars" right?

• Options
    Alan you too are a regular, I was simply trying to tell people what can happen
    because I saw it happen before.

I specifically mentioned no one in particular.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did Alan just type the word sup?
  • Options
    RogermnjRogermnj Posts: 1,809 ✭✭
    The evidence is pretty damning.. Just because the thread went poof and someone could get banned and a lawsuit will/could be filed doesnt mean it didnt happen...

Clemens is suing Mcnamee too right?

The original thread title was inappropriate but to bring the matter to collectors attention was a GOOD thing in my opinion..

The only "lesson to be learned" from this whole thing is to always snipe your auctions.
  • Options
    Steve's PM to me....

Alan

If you knew anything about anything you would have known i was not talking about onefaststallion.

GIO made a reckless comment regarding MINTSTATE and the last time that was brought up we almost lost this forum!

I am very disturbed that you reacted to my post in the manner that you did.

I think you harbor some bitterness from the giveaway you had when you tried to say your thread ended at a certain time when in fact you edited that part in. Of course even there you were wrong cuz you thought I was speaking for pinman.,

If you want to become my enemy you sure as hell have gotten your way!

The last 2 that got under my skin are no longer here, I wonder why?

Steve

Uh oh... someone's got a problem with Steve... they're gonna get banned.

I'll leave this topic alone if you'd all like, but I'm not getting banned. I've violated no PSA policies. I said multiple times I have no personal problem with Steve.

So I'll drop it and let you regulars take over.

• Options

<< <i>My friend Steve, as well as those like Griffins, has more sense and intelligence than you, Onlythe10s. You were railed out one time and you are track to do so again. Grow up, listen and learn. >>

And now my intelligence is coming into question...

Some of you guys are image ridiculous man.

• Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    Only when you don't learn from previous mistakes.
  • Options

<< <i>Alan you too are a regular, I was simply trying to tell people what can happen because I saw it happen before. I specifically mentioned no one in particular. Steve >>

I might be a regular poster, but I'm not in your little clan of people always trying to one-up everyone else and down-playing everyone elses posts.

• Options
    That is correct Alan and now anyone that PRIVATE MESSAGES you will not have the expectation that it will remain PRIVATE.

Keep it up. You are digging yourself a rather deep hole.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Did Lawnmowerman win yet?
  • Options

I might be a regular poster, but I'm not in your little clan of people always trying to one-up everyone else and down-playing everyone elses posts.

You have serious issues. For a person that did exactly what you accused me of in this very thread shows just how much you do in fact lack intellect.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Have I ever, one time before, displayed a PM before this day? Nope.

And do the people that like me on here worry about PM'ing me? Nope.

Should my intelligence have been called into play here? Nope.

Am I digging a hole? Nope.

Did I say "Sup"? Yup.

• Options
    I too was PMed saying that he would get me banned, and told me that 2 others got banned because the crossed him.

So, lesson learned? Donnot cross him, or you will be banned! image
  • Options

<< <i>Did Alan just type the word sup? >>

Heh heh. When he says hatter, I'm quitting the hobby.
  • Options

<< <i>I might be a regular poster, but I'm not in your little clan of people always trying to one-up everyone else and down-playing everyone elses posts. You have serious issues. For a person that did exactly what you accused me of in this very thread shows just how much you do in fact lack intellect. Steve >>

This argument is really quite pointless.

Here are the facts:

1) I'm a moron
    2) Steve is right.

Can we drop it? I'd like to get back to being unintelligent... on a different thread.

• Options

<< <i>As always Stone193, that's a well thought-out and stated post. (and no, that was not a dig, I'm serious).

You're correct that he's also entitled to his opinion.

I guess this is the part where I just shut the heck up because I cant win with you "regulars" right? >>

Alan

Welcome to my family - I like everyone here.

In fact, I will support you and anyone else here.

For that matter - I stuck my neck out one night when Boopotts was being facetious and the person I was defending sided with him! Did that bother me? No. I'ld do it again.

Nobody gets run over here from my POV - I respect everyone here until they prove otherwise. And even if I don't like or respect someone, I will not say anything or go out of my way to be disrespectful in return.

The hallmark of this forum is mutual respect - I have messed up and said stuff I shouldn't - we all do.
    But when I do - I'll be the first to apologize.

I rarely get into arguments here.

I will say tho - I've been here 4 years and the amount of postive threads and informational hobby threads are at an all-time low. And, yes , that's my opinion.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Posting 101:

Keep your PMs sent to you, to yourself. JMHO.
  • Options
    Some people just pretend to be nice here, but when you have an opinion here, and a particular person dosen't like it, they start to call you everything in the book. So that shows just how fake some people can be, and are all nice when your opinion goes there way, but when it don't, you better watch out!

But people know whats what anyway. It dosen't mean because every board member dosen't post, that they don't read some of the garbage that is posted here, they see, and they can make up their own minds about any situation. Some people just think that everybody but them is dumb and that they can't see what goes on here everytime.

They see, belive me they see. I have guys PMing me, telling me how ridiculous some people here can be.

Giovanni
  • Options
    So I guess I should apologize because I'm the only one that can see my point.

So...

For stating my opinion, I apologize. It'll never happen again.

I dont think Steve cares, I'm already on his "enemy" list (which means I'm DEFINITELY getting banned) so I dont think he'll accept my apology.

• Options
    Thanks Stingray, I apprecaite your opinion.

• Options

<< <i>I too was PMed saying that he would get me banned, and told me that 2 others got banned because the crossed him.

So, lesson learned? Donnot cross him, or you will be banned! image >>

Gio

Is it really necessary to fan the flames of this debate?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I agree some members can be rediculous. But Steve was not trying to be forum police or whatever when he started this thread. Funny how threads get so easily derailed!!
  • Options
    2006, 2007, 2009, 2009, 2010,
    Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I too was PMed saying that he would get me banned, and told me that 2 others got banned because the crossed him.

So, lesson learned? Donnot cross him, or you will be banned! image >>

Gio

Is it really necessary to fan the flames of this debate?

mike >>

Mike,

I am just saying it happened to me too, before they try to say that he's the only one or something like that. Or before he tries to make up a bunch of stories about him and so on. Thats what he does every single time, and like I said, people do see what goes on even if they don't say anything.

Your always a cool guy Mike, and you never pull anything like this with anybody. I have never tried to start any trouble here. Its always been me responding to some garbage that was trown my way, not me starting something with somebody on this board.

Giovanni
  • Options
    Well, I've already asked to end it and all Steve did was PM me saying, "Yes, I agree, you are a moron"...

So I guess it continues....

This wasnt my call, let that be known.

• Options
    Alan you just don't get it.

It had nothing to do with your opinion! It had everything to do with the way you replied

Didn't what Stone say to you penetrate?

We are all entitled to an opinion.

Stop trying to be a victim here.

You had no right in making those accusations towards me.

You could have either moved on or said something like:

Yeah I see your point.

To carry on in the manner that you did showed that you have some
    deep resent of me. Why? I have no idea. I guess in your Rackie Robinson thread I
    was mean and nasty? No i tried to give you some advice.

GIO I could care less what you say. It rarely makes any sense anyway and everyone knows you are liar.

Good for you.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    I will say tho - I've been here 4 years and the amount of postive threads and informational hobby threads are at an all-time low. And, yes , that's my opinion.

mike >>

Amen to that!
  • Options
    Well, I've already asked to end it and all Steve did was PM me saying, "Yes, I agree, you are a moron".

Your apology was worthless in the way it was presented.

Maybe you could have been a bit less sarcastic!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I got a great idea...

Why don't everyone agree to disagree...

and open a case of Bud!!!

Mike
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I have never been a Teknobaby (aka: onlythe10's) fan but I have to back him here. In my opinion Win's original post was fine but some of his replies, especially the PM, were a bit strong. Let's all take a deep breath and remember this is just a message board on the internet with a bunch of baseball card geeks. NONE of the stuff posted here is a big deal that matters in real life in my opinion. I suggest we go back to our jobs (if we have them) and job searching if you don't have one. Peace.
  • Options
    Steve,

Can we pleeeeeease end this?

All we've learned is that you were right and I was wrong. Oh, and I'm not intelligent.

Want to just end it? There's really no point in going any further on this.

Gio, thanks for your help, but please try to work out your differences with Steve via PM, not this thread.

Can we kill it now?

• Options

<< <i>I got a great idea...

Why don't everyone agree to disagree...

and open a case of Bud!!!

image >>

Mike,

That would sound cool to me, but I don't drink, lol.

Giovanni